PDA

View Full Version : So.. What do you guys think of the show so far?

VonTreece
04-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Personally, I'm a bit disappointed..

In my opinion they have failed to show us the vast new terraformed world as well as its horrors and dangers..

The show's plot so far is pretty decent..
I don't like the whole love affair between Christie and the Castithan kid, Alak.. The whole earth has been invaded and horrifically terraformed and half the show circles around a young interspecies Romeo and Juliet?.. No thanks.. Ha.

They should really focus on broadening our view and adding more depth in the story..
If the entire first season is just going to be Joshua (Grant Bowler) thwarting all the attempts to destroy Defiance, then I may find myself turning away from the show rather quickly..

What are your opinions on all this?..

http://oi38.tinypic.com/dm37g2.jpg

Olcsonn
04-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Personally, I'm a bit disappointed..

In my opinion they have failed to show us the vast new terraformed world as well as its horrors and dangers..

The show's plot so far is pretty decent..
I don't like the whole love affair between Christie and the Castithan kid, Alak.. The whole earth has been invaded and horrifically terraformed and half the show circles around a young interspecies Romeo and Juliet?.. No thanks.. Ha.

They should really focus on broadening our view and adding more depth in the story..
If the entire first season is just going to be Joshua (Grant Bowler) thwarting all the attempts to destroy Defiance, then I may find myself turning away from the show rather quickly..

What are your opinions on all this?..

http://watchplayread.com/files/2013/04/Defiance-syfy.jpg

This is the first season, I like it so far though. They have to establish character development before they can branch out too far. On the next episode I think they are going to show hellbugs, with only 2 episodes down I think they are doing pretty good and I personally look forward to a lot more episodes and seasons.

WhiteCell
04-23-2013, 12:52 PM
It's more entertaining than the game. This also explains why it's discussed on the game forums more than the actual game is. I wish it were more adult oriented but it's not as cheesy as it could have been. It's tolerable and I find the pale emo aliens humorous enough to not try to take the show that seriously.

VonTreece
04-23-2013, 12:52 PM
This is the first season, I like it so far though. They have to establish character development before they can branch out too far. On the next episode I think they are going to show hellbugs, with only 2 episodes down I think they are doing pretty good and I personally look forward to a lot more episodes and seasons.

Yeah.. Even though my opinions aren't exactly in favor of the show right now, I do understand that it's only the second episode and that it definitely has room to grow. This show is just starting off a little slow for my tastest. I'd like something to really grab my attention and keep me coming back for more..

It's more entertaining than the game. This also explains why it's discussed on the game forums more than the actual game is. I wish it were more adult oriented but it's not as cheesy as it could have been. It's tolerable and I find the pale emo aliens humorous enough to not try to take the show that seriously.

Yeah, in comparison to the syfy norm', the show is actually very well put together.

I guess I just had my expectations up a bit too high..

Who knows though! Maybe this show will grow to be one of the best of syfy!
Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Rikishi
04-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Really liked the pilot double episode, but the episode last night was weak.

Sargonnax
04-23-2013, 12:56 PM
I was a little apprehensive watching the second episode earlier today. I thought the pilot was decent, but things could go down quickly from there. After watching episode two I find myself even more interested in the show. I'm not a huge fan of the lovers quarrel between the two kids families, but that side plot is definitely leading up to big things in the future so I don't mind. The show is on the right track so far and is enjoyable to watch. Plus, Julie Benz is just so damn beautiful.

VonTreece
04-23-2013, 01:01 PM

Yeah, It wasn't exactly the greatest.
It just feels like those 45mins aren't enough for the episode to tell the story to it's full potential.
But.. That's usually how new shows go.. They desperately try to hook you in so that you stick around just long enough for it to get good.

I was a little apprehensive watching the second episode earlier today. I thought the pilot was decent, but things could go down quickly from there. After watching episode two I find myself even more interested in the show. I'm not a huge fan of the lovers quarrel between the two kids families, but that side plot is definitely leading up to big things in the future so I don't mind. The show is on the right track so far and is enjoyable to watch. Plus, Julie Benz is just so damn beautiful.

I agree. I just hope they throw in a few plot twists to keep the story fresh and exciting. Saving Defiance from it's inevitable doom every single episode will get old.. Quick..

Keydric
04-23-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm liking it so far. Episode 3 preview is up on youtube and yes it is a Hellbug episode. The first few episodes of a new series will always be a mixed bag of plot and character development as they try to explain the characters and what you got dropped into.

Chris EK9
04-23-2013, 01:22 PM
It's like a crap version of Firefly.. Lol. I still enjoyed the Pilot but haven't watched Ep2 yet. I will tonight.

Olcsonn
04-23-2013, 01:27 PM
I've read and listen to the director talk about his inspirations for this show and he is pulling from everything to Star Wars to Lost, so I think it will be interesting to see how all of this comes together. The way he tells it (I could have misunderstood it) is that things will take time to develop. I do like the characters in the show and the story so far. I want to see Dark Matter in the show though LOL.

3rdpig
04-23-2013, 01:28 PM
It's ok so far. Characters and stories need time to be developed and actors need time to grow into their roles.

For those of you expectinh it to be another Firefly, well I think you're going to wind up with more disappointment than satisfaction. Think Stargate or Farscape. It needs a season or two to mature.

Antomus
04-23-2013, 01:31 PM
I'd have to say that, overall, I have enjoyed the show for the first 2 episodes. I understand that you want to see more of the world, its inhabitants, and that sort of thing but the first few episodes will always be an attempt to build a base, to get people familiar with the cast. TV shows, unlike MMOs, start with the creation of the characters in the show, then branch out to the world they live in.
As far as this love plot goes, I see it as a plot twist (spoiler alert) since it will lead to the guys parents attempting to off the girl's dad and take over his business.
AS far as throwing in stuff we know well in the game, I feel that doing too much of this too early in the show will seem like cheap "name drops" and confuse those who are interested in the show but could care less about video games.
On a good note, they will be encountering hellbugs in next week's episode which should not only be interesting but make those of us who play the game feel a little more like we "live" in the same world that the show takes place in.

LurchUSA
04-23-2013, 01:32 PM
For those of you expectinh it to be another Firefly, well I think you're going to wind up with more disappointment than satisfaction.

Well with regard to FireFly, I just hope Defiance lasts more than one season!

Wrenito
04-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Pilot was solid. Last night's episode was terrible.... much like this game.

Jthreau
04-23-2013, 01:34 PM
I am thoroughly enjoying this show so far. Last night's episode was more enjoyable than the pilot, and I cannot wait for next week's episode (the preview speaks for itself).

Nmalthus
04-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Well with regard to FireFly, I just hope Defiance lasts more than one season!

Already picked up for season 2.

Antomus
04-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Last night's episode was more enjoyable than the pilot.

Pilot was solid. Last night's episode was terrible.

You two must now discuss this until it is resolved, GO! lol

Crunchyblack
04-23-2013, 01:46 PM
I like it thus far.

Episode 2 didn't have the barwhore so minus points for that.

And Irissa is becoming a raging moron..when she was standing on the tourture thing growling at people tossing rock at here...ugh...shame she is a really hot actress

Other than that, I think the second attack on the city was glossed over too much...it should have been more of the focus of the episode not "oh ben escaped and nearly detonated a bomb in an underground nuclear reactor and killed everyone...lets talk later about the details though no big deal" Also I think the second episode put too much focus on the inter racial teen couple and the dad.

Other than those issues I had, I like where the show seems to be headed, theres a lot of really interesting story arcs going on.

Oh...and are we suppose to know who Birch is...? Hes actually becoming my favorite villain in the show, but im not sure...is he the mayors relative, her assistant who is this guy?

Kurasuru
04-23-2013, 02:12 PM
The show so far is pretty good to me, I have hopes that the show will be a good series that lasts. The world of Defiance appeals to me deeply but the show and more the game hasn't really shown this to me yet. Other than the back story with Nolan and Irisa the world feels very disconnected in a general sense. While I understand the game has to provide opportunities for game play, but the world feels wrong.

My biggest issue with the game is that there are only two playable races humans and Irathient, I don't understand why Liberata, Indogene, Castithan, and Sensoth are neglected. I also find it odd that a human is the expert on Ark tech.

The best thing that the game has done is feed in a bit of story in the data recorders, and main missions regarding the the events of the battle of Defiance hopefully this connects with the show at some point.

Wrenito
04-23-2013, 02:16 PM
You two must now discuss this until it is resolved, GO! lolNo need, it's obvious he enjoys character development (2nd episode), and I prefer mindless action (pilot). Just as long as the 3rd episode isn't missing both, we'll be fine.

Xanduin
04-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Something that really confused me was (spoiler + time to process) .. If the terraforming caused a layer of earth to fold over Old St. Louis and harden, why is the arch still (mostly) standing tall and proud? Was the arch just outside of this layer or something? Granted I don't know much about the city's layout, but that just confused me.

LtRobbiesan
04-23-2013, 02:35 PM
I am enjoying it. As mentioned some shows simply need time to build up characters and get the main story going; I felt that way with Stargate, and did watch all seasons.

Being a fan of Game of Thrones, I have learned to appreciate character development, plot twists, and surprises. With a good balance of action and story telling, this can be a great show.

Gratitude and positive thoughts

LtRobbiesan
04-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Something that really confused me was (spoiler + time to process) .. If the terraforming caused a layer of earth to fold over Old St. Louis and harden, why is the arch still (mostly) standing tall and proud? Was the arch just outside of this layer or something? Granted I don't know much about the city's layout, but that just confused me.

I was wondering this too. There is some scaffolding, making it appear to be under repair. However, they have not said if it survived the terraforming (unless I missed it), or is simply being rebuilt on purpose in the 'spirit of St Louis' so to speak. Looking forward to hearing more about the Ark(s) arrivals, Cataclysm/Arkfalls, terraforming, St Louis, the Pale Wars, and other global survivors. There is still much story to be told.

Remag Div
04-23-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm liking it much more than I thought I would initially.

Reverend Blood
04-23-2013, 02:45 PM
I'm a fan of the show so far, and I don't really mind it being small scope. They released enough information (timelines, etc.) about the universe prior to the show that you can enjoy the extended universe, but if you didn't read any of those things, you can still enjoy the weekly drama unfolding.
I take it for what it is, it's not a group of people trying to save earth, it's a group of people trying to save their city, Defiance, the city that the show is name after.

A good parallel (in my opinion) would be The Walking Dead. It's a show based in an entire world in ruin, and as awesome as it would be to have more of a scope on the grand scheme of things in that world, it's essentially a show about one group, trying to survive the new world.

VonTreece
04-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Seeing all of this positive feedback regarding the plot has really led me to believe that the story will get much better with time..

Let's hope for the best! Haha

Cyan
04-23-2013, 03:00 PM
A pretty mediocre Scy-fy show.

Will last a couple of seasons, because it had the best rating of any of their shows since 2007.

Ensu
04-23-2013, 03:08 PM
I liked the buried city of St Louis and I hope we'll see more relic hunting in unusual places like that, in the game as well as the show. I get a stargate/farscape vibe more than a firefly vibe on the whole.

Pelaquin
04-23-2013, 03:09 PM
I stopped watching it half way through because seeing " Warehouse 13 " and all the other crap in the lower right hand corner was pissing me off to much.

VonTreece
04-23-2013, 04:01 PM
I liked the buried city of St Louis and I hope we'll see more relic hunting in unusual places like that, in the game as well as the show. I get a stargate/farscape vibe more than a firefly vibe on the whole.

yeah, same here. I can see how people relate it to firefly, but it's definitely got more of a stargate feel imo. (at least for now)

Sargonnax
04-23-2013, 05:15 PM

That would be because one of the creators of Defiance also created Farscape. Rockne S. O'Bannon

IJW473
04-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Naked wet mom hugs are awkward.

Noahsmokeshack
04-23-2013, 05:53 PM

Little disappointed when they get to the reactor, show the lights flickering and then basically shoot him. I would hope that something else would have happened along the way. Granted the time constraint but we cant walk 20 feet in the game without being shot at or eaten by hell bugs.

VonTreece
04-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Naked wet mom hugs are awkward.

I felt extremely uncomfortable at that part..

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/andy_freaking_out.gif

IJW473
04-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Oh, and why was no one guarding the Bald Pale Scale Headed guy, you know, the murderer who tried to destroy the town?

Kharnamatic
04-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Oh, and why was no one guarding the Bald Pale Scale Headed guy, you know, the murderer who tried to destroy the town?

Also confused about this. Didn't he die in EpI? Then some guy went into the morgue and used some sort of zombifying alien technology to resurrect him???????????????????????????/

Noahsmokeshack
04-23-2013, 06:00 PM
Also confused about this. Didn't he die in EpI? Then some guy went into the morgue and used some sort of zombifying alien technology to resurrect him???????????????????????????/

Yes, so i think the question needs to be asked... what the h*ll was the purpose of the handcuffs on a dead guy?

IJW473
04-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Wait, he was dead?? I thought I missed something from the first episode.

I stand corrected, but that opens up another world of questions. Is that what we are in for now, more "hah, gotcha he isn't dead" moments?

Weak.

Mutated Spleen
04-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Perhaps I'm a weird-***, but I liked episode 2 more than episode 1. First episodes are always outliers, especially when they do the 2-hour series premier thing. Episode 2s are always what really tells you how the show is going to actually be...at least, more so than episode 1. I like the character development, I'm very interested in the rivalry between Datek and McCauley, and the romance between their kids, and how it's going to affect the town. What you have to realize is that all of this stuff is going to end up being connected, and I am interested in how that will play out. I'm just hoping that it doesn't end up being strictly episodic, like Star Trek (TNG) was. That is, I want a show where the stuff that happened last week (Ben, for example), carries on and matters in the future (as it did this week).

Kharnamatic
Yes, so i think the question needs to be asked... what the h*ll was the purpose of the handcuffs on a dead guy?

Well I can't remember EPI entirely but he had a big hole in his head and the guy had to zap him with something to revive him.

Ensu

He wasn't dead. He was in a coma. I lost track of the number of times they said "Ben is in a coma, we'll ask him important questions when he wakes up".

THE CRAZZED
04-23-2013, 06:10 PM

I 100% agree

IJW473
04-23-2013, 06:14 PM
He wasn't dead. He was in a coma. I lost track of the number of times they said "Ben is in a coma, we'll ask him important questions when he wakes up".

That's weird, why would you keep track of something like that?

Anyway, then my question is back: why no guard?

I also liked the creepy steel masks on the Alien Klan Inquisition folks. Much better than hoods.

brotard
04-23-2013, 06:16 PM
My thoughts:

The white haired chick is super hot and practically naked in multiple scenes on basic cable. 15 years ago I would have been watching the show for that reason alone... nowadays, who am I kidding, it's still one of the main reasons I'm watching.

Sensoths look totally different than what I expected from Torc.

Are the volge in the game? They are like the ultimate bad guys amongst the votan and I've never seen or heard from them till the pilot.

When do they bring in EGO? I was under the impression that was a standard gear for the badasses of terraformed earth, but I haven't heard mention of it in the show.

There isn't really any characters I'm particularly drawn too... they all seem pretty flat so far, but hopefully that will change as things get developed.

The main thing I'm confused about though is the location. Why did they make a game and show in parallel, then put them in totally different locations with (as yet) no crossover between the two?

Noahsmokeshack
04-23-2013, 06:18 PM

I stand corrected. Multitasking during the show probably doesn't help on my side.

kashif
04-23-2013, 06:19 PM

kashif
04-23-2013, 06:19 PM
This is the first season, I like it so far though. They have to establish character development before they can branch out too far. On the next episode I think they are going to show hellbugs, with only 2 episodes down I think they are doing pretty good...

kashif
04-23-2013, 06:20 PM
just amazing dear

kashif
04-23-2013, 06:20 PM
The white haired chick is super hot and practically naked in multiple scenes on basic cable. 15 years ago I would have been watching the show for that reason alone... nowadays, who am I kidding, it's still one of the main reasons I'm watching.

Sensoths look totally different than what I expected from Torc.

kashif
04-23-2013, 06:21 PM

kashif

kashif
He wasn't dead. He was in a coma. I lost track of the number of times they said "Ben is in a coma.

kashif
04-23-2013, 06:22 PM
There isn't really any characters I'm particularly drawn too... they all seem pretty flat so far, but hopefully that will change as things get developed.

The main thing I'm confused about though is the location. Why did they make a game and show in parallel, then put them in totally different locations with (as yet) no crossover between the two?

kashif

kashif
Are the volge in the game? They are like the ultimate bad guys amongst the votan and I've never seen or heard from them till the pilot.

When do they bring in EGO? I was under the impression that was a standard gear for the badasses of terraformed earth, but I haven't heard mention of it in the show.

kashif
04-23-2013, 06:23 PM

kashif
04-23-2013, 06:23 PM

Jeff Kaos
04-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Despite the fact that I wasn't too impressed with the whole: "it's Deadwood. With aliens" premise I'm enjoying it. The makeup effects are solid and the town looks beat up and "post apocalypse'y". I would've preferred to see some lantern fireworks or Nolan and Irisa helping some pilgrims on the road to Defiance though. That would've made me feel more engaged in the episode missions in the game.

Fun Gus
04-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Already picked up for season 2.

well thats good news ...i was kind of concerned that the show would flop and the game would be SOL the pilot was ...ok i guess whole big fancey battle and yada yada yada x.x ...i mean i have seen much worse and last night slipped farther from what i thought would be a show with more than one season and i thought that was going to leave the game in limbo wether to continue without the show or just jump ship but i havnt given up on the show yet ...ill give it another episode or 2 befor i call it quits and when do we see big game/show interactions?

IJW473
04-23-2013, 06:32 PM
There isn't really any characters I'm particulaIy drawn too... they all seem pretty flat so far, but hopefully that will change as things get developed.

Apparently you aren't watching the mom or mayor enough. DADA CHING, I'm here all night.

TheDutchTexan
04-23-2013, 06:44 PM
Honestly, I do not think EGO has a place in the show. It is a nice gimmick for the game, but I think those "superpowers" would make the show into something it is not.

I liked the second episode a lot better than the first one. The pilot had so much information crammed into it. It became almost unwatchable. But since I've been playing the game, and re-watched the pilot, I have a solid understanding on what is going on.

But based on what I see I can't help but side with Rafe McCawley. If I where alive in defiance I would hate Votans, every single one of them. I have a bio in my head for my character's background, but in game you can't just say "I hate Voltans", as the game is not written that way.

nosworc
04-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Plus, Julie Benz is just so damn beautiful.

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/approval/grand/BRUCE-LEE-APPROVES-GIF.gif