PDA

View Full Version : Why offer so many mods when adding a slot is so expensive???

RoboSeal
04-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Title says all i would rather take my chances with lock boxes then to lose a chance at buying keycodes just to add one small mod

Olcsonn
04-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Gives you something to work for... It's not as bad as you think though I think after a few hours (2-3) I can walk away with 30k-40k salvage..

Seth Winternight
04-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Gives you something to work for... It's not as bad as you think though I think after a few hours (2-3) I can walk away with 30k-40k salvage..

I agree, something to earn and work at.

jnt
04-23-2013, 01:01 PM
The vast majority of mods are completely unnecessary. Unless you're max skill I can't see doing more then increasing magazine size being worth anything.

You will get rid of the weapon, it will be a complete waste of salvage.

fang1192
04-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Because all my guns have 4 mods unlocked from the start?

Olcsonn
04-23-2013, 01:05 PM
The vast majority of mods are completely unnecessary. Unless you're max skill I can't see doing more then increasing magazine size being worth anything.

I can notice a difference as soon as I put the mods in, I think you just need to use mods for your play style. I haven't maxed out a weapon skill yet (I switch a lot though) and I'm 900 EGO (not that high I know).

OldGuyWithStick
04-23-2013, 01:05 PM
I agree with this, why does adding one slot cost like 10-20x the amount of resources the weapon would be salvaged for? Especially since we are so encouraged to constantly swap out weapons. I guess, if you are gonna add slots, you better really like that gun. At least guns 1000+ tend to have all four, but for the ones that don't its really steep. For example, my legendary Mazu (first and only legendary, from a T2) didn't have a slot for mag mods, and it cost 32,750 salvage to add one at 1090.

Kommissar Kaede
04-23-2013, 01:06 PM

But thats the point - its something to work for when you have maxed out the weapon skill. To craft the "perfect" weapon of your playstyle by finding a legendary version of the type of gun you want, with the right synergy mods.

jnt
04-23-2013, 01:07 PM
I can notice a difference as soon as I put the mods in, I think you just need to use mods for your play style. I haven't maxed out a weapon skill yet (I switch a lot though) and I'm 900 EGO (not that high I know).

I just mean that I kill things just as easily without mods. Extra mag size is pure convenience. I would never advise people to spend salvage on a weapon til they're max skill. It's painfully inefficient for me. Pure personal taste etc.

greatdividers
04-23-2013, 01:10 PM
I just mean that I kill things just as easily without mods.

k wait.

you're saying that a gun with 0 mods kills just as easily as an identical gun with 4 mods? you can't be serious....

jnt
04-23-2013, 01:12 PM
But thats the point - its something to work for when you have maxed out the weapon skill. To craft the "perfect" weapon of your playstyle by finding a legendary version of the type of gun you want, with the right synergy mods.

I would just be blown away to see someone with maxed weapon skill at low (3 digits) EGO. Just screwing around I had 160k odd salvage I wasn't using. Once you max weapon skill, if you're not ****ing around with your currency, you should have enough salvage to make a great gun.

squidgod2000
04-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Everything is better with a +burst mod.

an FRC or Frontier SAW with a burst mod will put down a Scrapper Forge in seconds.

jnt
04-23-2013, 01:14 PM
k wait.

you're saying that a gun with 0 mods kills just as easily as an identical gun with 4 mods? you can't be serious....

100% serious. I didn't find anything in Defiance PVE to be challenging. I mean I did NIM with an AR, cloak, and a 9 sec Iron shield. I was at like 300 EGO and hadn't had time to figure out min maxing in here yet. ARs don't need scopes, if you have decent trigger control they dont need recoil mods, etc.

I'm not trying to brag. I'm just saying I don't bother with mods when leveling weapons except for +ammo.

Iceberg
04-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Whats the point in modding when you will just toss the gun anyways when you max out its xp.

jnt
04-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Whats the point in modding when you will just toss the gun anyways when you max out its xp.

Yep. Why I don't suggest it til you max the skill.

Olcsonn
04-23-2013, 01:20 PM
I just mean that I kill things just as easily without mods. Extra mag size is pure convenience. I would never advise people to spend salvage on a weapon til they're max skill. It's painfully inefficient for me. Pure personal taste etc.

As your EGO vanishes you will find this to be untrue. Not knowing your EGO I can only guess that the previous statement. Either way it is still a carrot on a stick.

Also in PvP you will find this to be untrue, the difference between most players weapons are their mods.

jnt
04-23-2013, 01:21 PM
As your EGO vanishes you will find this to be untrue. Not knowing your EGO I can only guess that the previous statement. Either way it is still a carrot on a stick.

Also in PvP you will find this to be untrue, the difference between most players weapons are their mods.

EGO vanishes? Way to be a prick.

I said it's a personal feeling of efficiency. I never bothered and didn't suffer. You're still testy I cracked a joke in the meathead thread I guess.

Olcsonn
04-23-2013, 01:24 PM
EGO vanishes? Way to be a prick.

I said it's a personal feeling of efficiency. I never bothered and didn't suffer. You're still testy I cracked a joke in the meathead thread I guess.

I wasn't trying to be a "prick" i typed that out wrong and I am sorry. As your EGO increases, sorry about that LOL. I had something else I was typing in a word doc and I got word mixed up.

jnt
04-23-2013, 01:26 PM
I wasn't trying to be a "prick" i typed that out wrong and I am sorry. As your EGO increases, sorry about that LOL. I had something else I was typing in a word doc and I got word mixed up.

Oh ok, no worries. Sorry.

No. It hasn't changed as my ego increases. I've done literally all the PVE content and it's never gotten harder. It doesn't justify adding mods at any sort of cost. I'll make my "perfect" weapons if I ever get around to maxing the skills out. Assuming the rest of the synergy mods ever get put in...

Crunchyblack
04-23-2013, 01:28 PM
if people are running out of scrip or tech...they are doing something seriously wrong.

Olcsonn
04-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Oh ok, no worries. Sorry.

No. It hasn't changed as my ego increases. I've done literally all the PVE content and it's never gotten harder. It doesn't justify adding mods at any sort of cost. I'll make my "perfect" weapons if I ever get around to maxing the skills out. Assuming the rest of the synergy mods ever get put in...

What is your EGO at?

jnt
04-23-2013, 01:32 PM
What is your EGO at?

Right around 1k, I have trouble remembering. Your question makes me think we have a communication problem.

I don't care about mods because they are for making a weapon more powerful at a cost. I don't find difficulty in the game, it's never been worth adding a mod to increase my damage :P

I'm aware that synergies get a little better as you level but I just think it's a waste of time if you're not max weapon skill.

DustOfDeath
04-23-2013, 01:37 PM
but that overall makes the whole modding system a excess feature - you are more then likely just going to get 4 mod slot weapons already.
A feature that is almost never used is not a feature.

Adding the option to add mod slots etc to all the weapons, with insane prices regardless of type or modtypes/rarity etc is a waste if noone uses it (with rare exception at the very end).

You could have just leave 4 mod slots for all weapons by default and price mod removal and such properly.

If you make a moddign system do it properly so its usable at ALL levels with DIFFERENT gear regardless of rarity and skills.

Olcsonn
04-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Right around 1k, I have trouble remembering. Your question makes me think we have a communication problem.

I don't care about mods because they are for making a weapon more powerful at a cost. I don't find difficulty in the game, it's never been worth adding a mod to increase my damage :P

I'm aware that synergies get a little better as you level but I just think it's a waste of time if you're not max weapon skill.

I can respect that, nothing you do to weapons from my understand is ever going to make a huge difference short term. But those bonuses, synergies, and mods can make that difference in 1 shot and live and dying. Again with the limited gear I think it was something that they decided to just add to add a carrot on a stick for players, something for players to work towards. Some people may make see them as useless, but I personally enjoy it. I have worked a lot to get better mods and weapons, but atlas I only get green mods, and the blues I get are for weapon systems that I do not enjoy. SUCKS.

Lt_Defiance
04-23-2013, 01:46 PM
I would just be blown away to see someone with maxed weapon skill at low (3 digits) EGO. Just screwing around I had 160k odd salvage I wasn't using. Once you max weapon skill, if you're not ****ing around with your currency, you should have enough salvage to make a great gun.

Beat the robot at 300 ego? Ffs I'm 470 ego and I'm not 10% of the way there yet. Lol

jnt
04-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Beat the robot at 300 ego? Ffs I'm 470 ego and I'm not 10% of the way there yet. Lol

I just did the missions :/ and I liked the episode AR so much I never switched it. No weapon skill ego, no vehicle ego, no pursuits, etc.

You get to Nim with looooow EGO. I like challenge and story :P I ******* hate useless data recorders :P

Olcsonn
04-23-2013, 01:48 PM

I rushed through the story and finished at around 350-400 EGO, but now I've focused on my EGO and I can tick around 100 each time I play.

thejx4
04-23-2013, 01:59 PM

It takes about 30,000 to retrieve mods btw :)

Arkental
04-23-2013, 02:13 PM
The prices involved with modding could certainly be adjusted ever so slightly. As it stands there's just not enough of a reward for me to put in the effort to pick up a weapon lacking slots and begin adding them unless it is so damn near perfect I doubt I'll see a better candidate for a while.

And this is a shame, because I quite enjoy adding mods to weapons, especially as we can see the model change as you put them on. I just wish the system would get a quick overhaul to encourage all the options in the matrix to be used more frequently, even on weapons you might not use all that long.