PDA

View Full Version : When did this game actually come out for PC?

MattChicago
04-23-2013, 03:05 PM
sorry to sound like a noob, but when exactly did this game come out for PC? I just know that i had seen it on steam a couple days ago and got it.

The only reason i ask is because i have noticed a lot of up / downtime the past couple days so it leads me to belief the game is not totally completed yet or they are still fixing a lot of backend system issues. I could be wrong but i was thinking that usually games release patches and fixes a couple times a month if i am not mistaken and also being a alpha and beta tester with other games usually its not every day the servers are spun down to do hot fixes unless it is really major or doing major impact. Mostly Latency or memory run time issues that are causing server performance issues.

Arsenic_Touch
04-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Officially on the 2nd, but there was a headstart for US players. We got to play like a day early I think it was.

jnt
04-23-2013, 03:07 PM
sorry to sound like a noob, but when exactly did this game come out for PC? I just know that i had seen it on steam a couple days ago and got it.

The only reason i ask is because i have noticed a lot of up / downtime the past couple days so it leads me to belief the game is not totally completed yet or they are still fixing a lot of backend system issues. I could be wrong but i was thinking that usually games release patches and fixes a couple times a month if i am not mistaken and also being a alpha and beta tester with other games usually its not every day the servers are spun down to do hot fixes unless it is really major or doing major impact. Mostly Latency or memory run time issues that are causing server performance issues.

Steam tells you when it came out :/

MattChicago
04-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Well that explains a lot than for the every day server patches. How long was PC Alpha and Beta?

Officially on the 2nd, but there was a headstart for US players. We got to play like a day early I think it was.

MattChicago
04-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Yeah too lazy to screen over :P

Steam tells you when it came out :/

Valethar
04-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Well that explains a lot than for the every day server patches. How long was PC Alpha and Beta?

There were three Beta weekends. The Alpha was continuous for several months at least. That said, you can't catch everything in a test environment, and the stuff the testers DO catch actually has to be acted on in a timely manner for it to mean anything.

MattChicago
04-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Yup i am aware of that situation did you all have a bug report section (closed to normal members) for forums, a lot of times to get the best results is when its out of a non test environment and you slap about 100+ Concurrent connections into 1 server. I am thinking the beta weekends were probably stress testing since they do that a lot with other games, open it up and let loose.

There were three Beta weekends. The Alpha was continuous for several months at least. That said, you can't catch everything in a test environment, and the stuff the testers DO catch actually has to be acted on in a timely manner for it to mean anything.

Dwane
04-23-2013, 03:29 PM
As u may noticed, there goes show along with game, so they had to release in any state. Thats why theres alot of bugs and patches.

Valethar
04-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Yup i am aware of that situation did you all have a bug report section (closed to normal members) for forums

Yes. And many a spirited conversation between the testers detailing the issues. Sadly a lot of what we reported as broken made it into release, broken.

MattChicago
04-23-2013, 03:33 PM
But i had thought from hearing the game / show had nothing to do with each other in the start. From what i had gathered before i got the game on steam, they were making the game before the show was created or something or i could be wrong.

As u may noticed, there goes show along with game, so they had to release in any state. Thats why theres alot of bugs and patches.

MattChicago
04-23-2013, 03:34 PM
laugh not really effective at all huh :P

Yes. And many a spirited conversation between the testers detailing the issues. Sadly a lot of what we reported as broken made it into release, broken.

Taaltos
04-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Yup i am aware of that situation did you all have a bug report section (closed to normal members) for forums, a lot of times to get the best results is when its out of a non test environment and you slap about 100+ Concurrent connections into 1 server. I am thinking the beta weekends were probably stress testing since they do that a lot with other games, open it up and let loose.

Aye, there was. There were also Q&A Forms after some of the missions and events and sometimes the feedback would pop up on it's own prompting it to be filled out.

Valethar
04-23-2013, 03:43 PM
But i had thought from hearing the game / show had nothing to do with each other in the start. From what i had gathered before i got the game on steam, they were making the game before the show was created or something or i could be wrong.

I know they started making the game years ago, but I honestly don't know for certain that they weren't part of the same overall plan from the beginning. I only knew about it because I was a tester previously for Rift, but didn't pay a lot of attention to things until they sent us out the Alpha updates letting us know when they'd be selecting testers for Defiance.

Castiel Krios
04-23-2013, 04:06 PM
2 weeks before the show premiered on syfy which was april 15 for the pilot and the game launched april 2nd. The time from game launch to the show premier was meant to be the time it took Nolan and Irissa to drive from SF to St. Louis

russell733
04-23-2013, 04:39 PM
There is still the ingame bug report under the Ego Wheel and thats the best way to report bugs, as it also gives them the location you are at when reporting. During the last 2 betas every time you finished a mission the bug report window would automatically open so people could add comments, course I think they also got a lot of reports of wwwwwwwwwwwwww