PDA

View Full Version : Defiance is killing my ps3

MordecaiHunter
04-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Today has been a nightmare for my ps3 console when i log out then try to quit the game, I have had about 5 lock ups ( Black screen and white marks ) which then forces me to reboot the console, Now worried that it will cause permanent damage ( Already on my 3rd ps3 :( )

Anybody else experience these problems ?

SlashZaku
04-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Have had it happen maybe twice. I've been letting the in-game XMB take it's time to load and I've since avoided having the issue (shutting down or just exiting back to the XMB) so I don't know =\ Give the XMB a few seconds to load icons and such when you switch over and see if that keeps it from happening (40GB by the way).

watk
04-23-2013, 04:09 PM
I have had probably 30 hard restarts since game came out

kmg90
04-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Its nothing to worry about, its just the game is terrible at quitting back to system.

You really have to worry when you have to force a restart via holding down reset button for 10 seconds.

MordecaiHunter
04-23-2013, 04:15 PM
@SlashZaku Good point about waiting for the icons to load will try that out as i can be abit trigger happy quitting the game ..

Im Lost
04-23-2013, 04:51 PM
I have had to do a few hard reset's but only after getting a critical server error and trying to immediately relaunching the game. Now I restart my PS3 after I get one. I haven't had to do a hard reset since. And hard resets do damage PS3's my last PS3 died as a result of a hard reset. According to Sony's repair center hard reset's damage the OS and cause damage to the HD, optical drive and power supply.

dalendria
04-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Today has been a nightmare for my ps3 console when i log out then try to quit the game, I have had about 5 lock ups ( Black screen and white marks ) which then forces me to reboot the console, Now worried that it will cause permanent damage ( Already on my 3rd ps3 :( )

Anybody else experience these problems ?

Yes, it happens to me most of the time. Now I am concerned for my machine. I had not planned to buy a PS4 anytime soon because I have tons of games left to play on PS3. If mine goes down, not sure what I will do.

And it is the same thing. I try to quit and a black screen appears with horizontal jagged white lines (about 3) across the screen. Sometimes it will go to the PS3 dashboard but usually it crashes and resets.

In fact, I have been having problems with loading screen crashes in this game since launch.

dAcHrOnIc
04-23-2013, 07:47 PM
DO NOT QUIT YOUR GAME WITHOUT LOGGING OUT FIRST.

Press start>hold L2>Press SQUARE.

Once logged out you can quit with a hard lock.
I used to get a brutal hard lock whenever quitting the game. Since I started logging out I haven't froze when quitting.

Now, in the middle of an Arkfall?
Yeah well that's an entirely different matter.
Sometimes I freeze, sometimes I'm hard locked.
Could be in the middle of an Arkfall, side mission, main mission or sometimes even standing idle while real me takes a leak.
The game doesn't discriminate, when it wants to lock up then it will lock up.

DEVILMAN
04-23-2013, 10:51 PM
The hard freezes are the reason why I really have no drive to play this game. I went back to DCUO just in time for GU25.

Seriously though, it seems like everytime I play Defiance, it hard locks up, and it locks up so hard that holding the power button does nothing. I literally have to pull the cord from my wall. That and there are those disappearing feats between episodes make it impossible for me to take seriously.

FNL4EVA23
04-23-2013, 11:15 PM
I never had quit locks until 3-4 days ago they did something server side... I logout now and hold ps3 home on controller and turn off better then unplug each time. I also get most hard freezes when mic is connected so avoid it works for me fine until i use it... I beta tested off and on for 20 years so it is easier for me to find what causes things on my end to cause issues. I hope this helps others cause people never try to help on here anymore so figured i would. To bad others are not helping others with tricks all i see is theories that are well untested/fake/dumb.

Enjoy

Edit: Also hard resets can cause hard drive corruption which happened to me and another friend with this game we lost all data. So backup those saves for other games. It might happen 1st time or 29th time like mine. 1 1/2 old super slim aciii 500gb only this game causes freezes so far...

Dog4life
04-23-2013, 11:23 PM
For the expert on ps3 hardware :

once in a while i need to turn off console pushing power button just once ( no hold down 10 secs), when the game freezes or infinite loading screen.

Does this count as hard reset and does damage the console ?

As far as i know is possible to start the ps3 in safe mode, and fix the os / system data... without erasing any game data & saves.

thanks

MordecaiHunter
04-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys, so far today i have only had 1 lock up on quitting the game, #Progress

Figma
04-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Heres a tip for you all since you dont know. dont quit game via xmb.
write in chat = /exit
thats how to quit the game properly

Lukezordz
04-24-2013, 09:25 AM
I've had one real freeze since I've been playing.

Clean out your PS3 with a paint brush or something, make sure it's not overheating.

Maniac Jim
04-24-2013, 09:39 AM
It actually did kill my Ps3.
It just shut off last night while I was cruising around SF.
Got the blinking red light. I cleaned all the dust out, removed the hard drive, heated up the chips and put it all back together....still same thing. Either my HD is shot or the ghosts of all my slain enemies took their final revenge upon my Playstation.

Ill show them though. I have willpower, I have a mission......I have lots of money. Time for a new ps3.

Assasino
04-24-2013, 10:04 AM
This game has seen the most lockups out of all my gaming but have had some from other games, cough Skyrim
I have one of the first PS3's that came out (60gb version) and have yet to see my hdd drive fail
Of course i have since then installed a 500 gb hd :)
For sure i would say clean your system from dust and what not.

Facade
04-24-2013, 10:15 AM
For the expert on ps3 hardware :

once in a while i need to turn off console pushing power button just once ( no hold down 10 secs), when the game freezes or infinite loading screen.

Does this count as hard reset and does damage the console ?

As far as i know is possible to start the ps3 in safe mode, and fix the os / system data... without erasing any game data & saves.

thanks

That's a regular freeze. Hard lock is when the console doesn't respond to anything and you are forced to actually pull the power to get it to turn off.

I myself haven't had any issues logging off at all. All my freezes and hard locks are always just happening mid-game doing random stuff.

wilks
04-24-2013, 10:21 AM
I wonder if sony is holding the patch to brick more ppls systems and sell more hardware.

DanBowie
04-24-2013, 11:52 AM
I get 2-4 freezes a day playing defiance.

Kolem
04-24-2013, 01:21 PM
never had these issues

twoeyebug
04-24-2013, 01:32 PM
i have never had this problem of it locking up. i have had it to where it takes long for my screen and icons to pop up when i quit the game. but i just wait and then it loads, maybe logging off first will help.

there are two ways to log off, type /exit in chat and in the start menu screen press L2 and top left says press square to log off (never seen it until yesterday)

RequiemPrime
04-24-2013, 01:33 PM
It's always a good idea to restart the system after playing for a while, just to refresh it's resources. To be honest....everyone should do that with any game.

If you have a time out...just restart...don't even try loggin back in right away.

And always log our properly, either via the command Figma posted, the meun bar or the quick logout button prompt.

THE CRAZZED
04-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Also I have noticed if when u r logging in b sure to wait for your char to load on the screen before u launch the game. Seems to help with memory leak and helps the whole game run smoother, also log out properly as said above. Happy hunting!