PDA

View Full Version : ARKFALLS aint what they are supposed to be?

MortalWare
04-23-2013, 11:41 PM
I'd seen this game advertised as a tie in to the TV show of the same name, which was to supposedly run parallel to it. Actions in the game could affect the show and vice versa.

I found this an intriguing enough concept to convince me to purchase the game and watch the show.

There's no doubt similarity exists between the show and the game such as main characters, races and the world in general, but there are other aspects that just don't seem to match and tend to throw continuity and immersion out the window.

Take ARKFALLS for instance. Regarding the back story for the show; ARKFALLS are pieces of the abandoned Votan fleet, which was comprised of ships known as ARKS, that has been left to decay in orbit around the planet and which is now breaking apart and falling to Earth.

This is shown to great visual effect in the first episode of the TV show when a large piece of ship debris comes crashing down through the atmosphere, impacts the Earth and is subsequently tracked down and raided by Nolan.

Yet in the game the only ARKFALLS I have seen are nothing more than an identically shaped chunk of rock and crystal that has no resemblance to a piece of spacecraft and contains no Alien technology.

Theories presented are that what we are getting in the game are merely pieces of the terraforming technology that was housed aboard the space ships before they exploded and not actual parts of the ships themselves. But then shouldn't there at least be some wreckage from the vessels that contained the terraforming technology within them strewn about the same location? Perhaps it all burnt up in the atmosphere?

One thing I was really excited about doing in the game was racing to a crash site and fighting off other looters while investigating the remains of a large piece of Alien spacecraft looking to claim rare (or at least valuable enough to sell for a good amount of scrip) Alien technology that was found hidden within.
As is depicted in the first episode of the TV show.

That, to me, is a very attractive piece of gameplay that would never get old. However; racing to get to a chunk of rock which always looks the same and which you know contains nothing of value is not quite as interesting and does indeed get old.. fast.

Hopefully this is something that is being looked at for future content.

The addition of a variety of ARKFALL types instead of just adding different mobs around the same chunk of rock. ARKFALLS that are large pieces of ship, with rooms and corridors to explore which may contain only one piece of rare tech to be given to the first person that finds it or may contain something for everyone who arrives at the site in time.

As familiarity breeds contempt, I do not see ARKFALLS within the game in their current state being able to hold much interest for very long.

SuitcoatAvenger
04-23-2013, 11:47 PM
It's still early, but there's room to grow. One thing to keep in mind is that in the pilot, we only saw one example of what an Arkfall looked like. I kind of dig the idea that Votan technology is so out there that the crystals that drop to earth are actually part of something that was manufactured.

I do like the idea of adding a pvp element to Arkfalls. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being introduced. Again, it's still early. Give the game enough room to grow, build factions, etc, and we could very well see that be the case. Personally, I think it would be a great idea if they made Arkfalls have increased rarity of loot drops.

Jack Johnson
04-23-2013, 11:47 PM
Agreed. My hope is that they're holding off on crash sites for later DLC. Because there really need to be crash sites to raid.

MortalWare
04-23-2013, 11:57 PM
It's still early, but there's room to grow. One thing to keep in mind is that in the pilot, we only saw one example of what an Arkfall looked like. I kind of dig the idea that Votan technology is so out there that the crystals that drop to earth are actually part of something that was manufactured.

I do like the idea of adding a pvp element to Arkfalls. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being introduced. Again, it's still early. Give the game enough room to grow, build factions, etc, and we could very well see that be the case. Personally, I think it would be a great idea if they made Arkfalls have increased rarity of loot drops.

I should clarify that by 'other looters' I didn't necessarily mean other players, though that is a fun idea.

There could be PVE and PVP crash sites. Make the PVE ones red, the PVP purple.

Jack Johnson
04-24-2013, 12:05 AM
I should clarify that by 'other looters' I didn't necessarily mean other players, though that is a fun idea.

There could be PVE and PVP crash sites. Make the PVE ones red, the PVP purple.

Not purple. Purple is Shadow Wars.

MortalWare
04-24-2013, 12:08 AM
Not purple. Purple is Shadow Wars.

Aqua?

I chose purple cause it was used already as depicting PVP in the game.
But your right that they should probably be separated to show actual event types.

Era
04-24-2013, 12:33 AM
Minor scrapper arkfalls are actually more metal than crystal.

tootallbob
04-30-2013, 06:35 PM
i have to agree with MortalWare. I am a Comcast Subscriber and I watched all the videos that they had on VOD about Defiance, the show and the game before I purchased the game. I was expecting the same as MortalWare. Crashed ship parts and tech to look for in the wreckage. So far I have seen the crystal arkfall, mother hellbug arkfall and scrapers arkfall. Nothing that resembles crashed ark ships. and what we get are must more weapons/shields/grenades. This all resembles rifts in RIFT. a rift opens up and toons rush and to kill the npcs and get rewards per participation, sound familiar. I left Rift because It got boring this seems to be going that way.

alienoid
04-30-2013, 06:46 PM
From what I understand, Arkfalls are themed in the game.
Hellbugs Arkfalls are crystals because they are made of Gulanite which is both a loved meal for hellbugs and the fuel that powered the Arks. It makes sense.
Scrappers ones are, well, metalic scraps the scrappers use to "breed" somehow. Some little pieces of Arks. Still makes sense.
Devs also stated they have other Arkfalls up their sleeves and are working on bigger ones. I definitely can't wait to see one like in the show, of course ;)

Nessaj
04-30-2013, 07:08 PM
PVP arkfalls would be pretty great, especially if they're still raid styled (crashed alien ship), e.g. you basically try and claim the ark tech for your clan, having to fight off other clans -- or even individuals who might be lucky enough to sneak past the fighting and sneak some ark tech out.

Either way there's plenty of room to improve, the sooner the better, but with all the current bugs in the game no doubt most of their time goes into fixing those.

Saboteur 6
04-30-2013, 07:09 PM
I agree the Arkfalls could use something to spice them up since they get pretty monotonous. The problem with giant dynamic events from a design perspective is that they (Trion) want to reward participation for anyone involved, not just the lucky SOB who "wins the Ark piece". It's a tough one to figure out for sure. I would like to see some sort of "timed zone instance" or something representative of going inside a fallen Ark. I'm sure that'd be a nightmare to implement though.

As far as what the Arkfall is, the OP is partially correct in that they are/were the giant Ark transport ships that housed the entirety of the surviving Votan races. However, they weren't "left to rot in space" as much as they were blown the jek up while in orbit around Earth by a yet to be revealed source. Check out the Arkfall section of the timeline. (http://www.defiance.com/en/series/world-of-2046/invasion-timeline)