PDA

View Full Version : So which DLC pack will have us in St. Louis?

Smoky
04-24-2013, 12:12 AM
You know it's got to be coming. It would be pretty cool to have some of the characters in the show appear in the game. Datak would have to be one of the boss battles, I'm thinking.

r3dl4nce
04-24-2013, 12:21 AM
Show in St. Louis.
Game in San Francisco.
I don't think this will change.

Era
04-24-2013, 12:31 AM
None unless the show dies and even then probably none.

Armitage
04-24-2013, 12:46 AM
DLC II: Hellbug Boogaloo.

ironhands
04-24-2013, 06:40 AM
i think the trend will be for the game to gradually push east, since there's not much west, and we know season 2 will feature vegas/nevada

DeMoted
04-24-2013, 06:42 AM
Real question, how long do you think this game will even last?

LurchUSA
04-24-2013, 06:42 AM
i think the trend will be for the game to gradually push east, since there's not much west, and we know season 2 will feature vegas/nevada

http://lurchusa.net76.net/images/defiance_dlc.png

Orge Lambart
04-24-2013, 06:43 AM

Cool how long have you worked at Trion, and care to share any more unreleased information with us?

Antomus
04-24-2013, 06:43 AM

How do you even have over 900 posts? Is everything you post negative?

Orge Lambart
04-24-2013, 06:45 AM

looking at his previous post all he does is post negative crap about the game. Probably one of those guys who sits around in his mom's basement raging at the world.

DeMoted
04-24-2013, 06:45 AM

Been trying to help find this game but it is looking bleaker by the min. Also what else am I supposed to do at work?

DeMoted
04-24-2013, 06:46 AM
looking at his previous post all he does is post negative crap about the game. Probably one of those guys who sits around in his mom's basement raging at the world.

Nice insults b.c that is all you are good at.

DeMoted
04-24-2013, 06:46 AM
You know you asked the correct question when people insult you for it.

Multigun
04-24-2013, 06:48 AM

Some people just like to watch a game/show fail. Or they are just trolls. That's what ignoring their comments is for :)

I imagine we will end up in St. Louis/Defiance once (if) the main cast moves away from Defiance for story related reasons (like others have said, season 2 is rumored to be in Vegas).

Dagbiker
04-24-2013, 06:48 AM
One is going to be in florida, one is going to be in new england, and one is going to be in mid west. There was a map someone posted.

Orge Lambart
04-24-2013, 06:49 AM
Cool, since you aren't enjoying your time in the game, couldn't you go find some more productive to do with your time. Like read a book, play another game, get a girlfriend, be a big brother, walk outside to reduce the swelling in your feet, or just generally do anything else other than post nonsense on a message board for people who enjoy the game. You are just a generally unpleasant little man who does nothing but troll the boards.

After all you realize the game is Buy to play right, so you can take time away from the game, go do other things then come back at a future date when the issues will probably be more likely to have been fixed.

I'd wager you have over 800 post of just negative gibberish, trolling and generally being a bag towards other people.. I figured I'd take one post to do the same back to you.

Antomus
04-24-2013, 06:49 AM
You know you asked the correct question when people insult you for it.

Words of a true troll.

Antomus
04-24-2013, 06:50 AM
Some people just like to watch a game/show fail. Or they are just trolls. That's what ignoring their comments is for :)

I imagine we will end up in St. Louis/Defiance once (if) the main cast moves away from Defiance for story related reasons (like others have said, season 2 is rumored to be in Vegas).

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

DeMoted
04-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Words of a true troll.

You follow me from thread to thread trolling. Please leave and go back in your hole. You trolls are out in force today.

MacDeath
04-24-2013, 06:51 AM
That's a map of Old Earth. New Earth doesn't look like that.

See: http://gamingphanatic.com/2012/12/18/defiance-continent-map/

Adryn
04-24-2013, 06:54 AM
That's a map of Old Earth. New Earth doesn't look like that.

while true it gets the basic idea across. if i had to put my money on any prediction it would be that one.

Orge Lambart
04-24-2013, 07:00 AM
If I had to put my prediction the
DLC 1 will be a new alien race,
DLC 2 will be some type of new mount, probably a bike,
DLC 3 will give us some new weapon type,
DLC 4 will give us a new faction with quest based around content not in the game, combined with content already in the game.
DLC 5 will give us a small sliver of land to the north or East of the area we already have, the Volge will be there.

Antomus
04-24-2013, 07:01 AM
while true it gets the basic idea across. if i had to put my money on any prediction it would be that one.

The devs have clearly stated multiple times that the game and tv show will never actually cross paths. This means that we most likely will never go to St. Louis. My bet is that we will stay in San Fran for quite some time seeing as there is a LOT of the map that is inaccessible. This is where your DLC will happen. Also, it is in the lore that long distance travel is not very possible in the world, you would literally have to drive from San Fran to St. Louis and I don't see that happening here. Honestly, having fast travel in the game is a bit of a lore breaker in itself. Don't get me wrong, we're all glad it's there but just being technical here.

MstrJedi_Kyle
04-24-2013, 07:09 AM
I don't want to hit St. Louis. I quite like the idea that both happen independently from each other but can still have an affect on one another. If anything we should move North up the coast. Course I wouldn't mind retiring to Antarctica either.

IGears
04-24-2013, 07:11 AM
The devs have clearly stated multiple times that the game and tv show will never actually cross paths. This means that we most likely will never go to St. Louis. My bet is that we will stay in San Fran for quite some time seeing as there is a LOT of the map that is inaccessible. This is where your DLC will happen. Also, it is in the lore that long distance travel is not very possible in the world, you would literally have to drive from San Fran to St. Louis and I don't see that happening here. Honestly, having fast travel in the game is a bit of a lore breaker in itself. Don't get me wrong, we're all glad it's there but just being technical here.

this...you can only fast travel to a place you have already been to.so you would have to drive to St. Louis in order to fast travel there but thats along time driving from San Francisco.. not to mention the going through the big storm divide.

http://www.imaginaryatlas.com/2013/04/02/the-san-francisco-bay-area-of-defiance/

Speaking of fast travel, Skyrim has fast travel... but is it a lore breaker?..no, but wait the game has magic... but the time of day changes. Fast travel has nothing to do with lore but just keeps you engaged in the game rather than getting pissed that you have to walk across the world to get somewhere like Morrowind was.

Tgreen
04-24-2013, 07:12 AM
St. Louis ... maybe Old St. Lous as a co-op? I highly doubt (bordering on knowing) that we'd ever set foot into the actual city as long as the show exists.

Personally I'd like to see something like Tokyo or London for a later DLC ... south america and even the west coast also seems appealing ... basicly giving us the chance to see what happened to other places.

And we know long distance travel is part of the setting ... we were transported in a former state of the art carrier that's now part of the landscape, but there must be more of those where it came from.

Just writing some thoghtless one liner doesn't take a lot of time.

Antomus
04-24-2013, 07:13 AM
The devs said that they basically wanted the locations to be close enough that news of something in one place could reach the other, that's about all the interaction there will be. This alone, however, can have effects on either location. Also, there will be visits from characters from the show to the game. A forum poster stated that after looking through patch files there is already data for the previous mayor of the city of Defiance in the game.

Lollie
04-24-2013, 07:13 AM
having fast travel in the game is a bit of a lore breaker in itself. Don't get me wrong, we're all glad it's there but just being technical here.

Fast travel in a game such as this would be nothing more than getting in the back of a truck to another city, and seeing a cutscene/loading screen.

Antomus
04-24-2013, 07:15 AM
Fast travel in a game such as this would be nothing more than getting in the back of a truck to another city, and seeing a cutscene/loading screen.

True to an extent and I would fully support the idea if it had not already been stated that the show and game would never cross paths.

Hope499
04-24-2013, 07:16 AM
Been trying to help find this game but it is looking bleaker by the min. Also what else am I supposed to do at work?
I dunno...WORK maybe?? lol

You follow me from thread to thread trolling. Please leave and go back in your hole. You trolls are out in force today.

Dude....cmon its true and you know it lol.

Just because your bored at work you come here and troll. I would understand if it was helpful or intelligent, but EVERY post is just useless...I have seen a few of them now lol.

But the fact you have 900 posts for a game you hate on? Dear lord man...like..thats the definition of no lifer...

IGears
04-24-2013, 07:18 AM
St. Louis ... maybe Old St. Lous as a co-op? I highly doubt (bordering on knowing) that we'd ever set foot into the actual city as long as the show exists.

Personally I'd like to see something like Tokyo or London for a later DLC ... south america and even the west coast also seems appealing ... basicly giving us the chance to see what happened to other places.

And we know long distance travel is part of the setting ... we were transported in a former state of the art carrier that's now part of the landscape, but there must be more of those where it came from.

"State of the art" Strato Carrier? with the Collector's edition you get the VBI contract... on the contract it says that the flight from the Earth Republic to San Francisco takes 72 hours... wtf in a plane?

r3dl4nce
04-24-2013, 07:18 AM
At least one year during that will be released the 5 DLCs of the season pass, after that let's see.

Lollie
04-24-2013, 07:19 AM
True to an extent and I would fully support the idea if it had not already been stated that the show and game would never cross paths.

Trion just don't want us to interact with actors that might be about to get the chop in the tv series, which would mean the quest that tv character gives us (as npcs in the game version) gets removed from game at the whim of the script writers when they kill off the tv character (forcing Trion to remove the corresponding npc from the game). People would complain they were prevented from experiencing a part of the game that other players got to experience, much the same as they complain about missing episode quests.

I think we all would like to have access to a big town though.

Antomus
04-24-2013, 07:24 AM
Trion just don't want us to interact with actors that might be about to get the chop in the tv series, which would mean the quest that tv character gives us (as npcs in the game version) gets removed from game at the whim of the script writers when they kill off the tv character (forcing Trion to remove the corresponding npc from the game). People would complain they were prevented from experiencing a part of the game that other players got to experience, much the same they complain about missing episode quests.

I think we all would like to have access to a big town though.

I agree with your last statement there fully. I made a quite detailed suggestion post on this. It got no replies yet because it's so long, lol, but this is the snippet from there:

4.) An area for general congregation.
This is more or less a community building idea. Have a place in the game world where players are more inclined to congregate as a whole. A town, city, village, what have you. I realize that we are in a "post apocalyptic" San Fransisco but the city of Defiance exists, why not have something similar here? We need a place where it is convenient to meet up and group up. This will be a place where you can meet new players and make new friends. The current outposts that we have only serve as hubs for missions and a place to quickly sell your loot before going out to acquire more. Cities and towns where players are in-mass are what give good MMOs that MMO feeling...

Here's a link to the thread (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?48979-Just-a-few-ideas.) if anyone is interested.

mr_mover34
04-24-2013, 07:24 AM
I don't expect to ever make it to St. Louis. Not in game at least. Unless the show fails. For those of you who think we will move that far east in 1 year. Haha. I really expect Las Vegas prison to open up as a dlc at some point. Now that we know terraformed earth can fold over and harden making huge caves I expect to see an underground "old" city as well. Don't forget. North and south can open instead of just east. I sure hope we do not get just a tiny sliver of land. Not when there is plenty of land they could open without coming close to Defiance.

Antomus
04-24-2013, 07:27 AM
Now that we know terraformed earth can fold over and harden making huge caves I expect to see an underground "old" city as well.

This seems to have been a chance occurrence. It would be cool, yes, but highly unlikely.

Multigun
04-24-2013, 07:29 AM
Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Caught that did ya :)

vanDragon
04-24-2013, 07:29 AM

Nah to much for a DLC

Season 1 dlc will have 5dlc so in that 5dlc u will go from sacramento - nevada
Season 2 will be that Utah area with 5dlc
Season 3 Willbe denver with 5dlc
Season 4 will be around Kansas/iowa for 5dlc
Season 5 we arrive at Illinois

Each year 1 Season so in 5years we are at St Louis

;)

Antomus
04-24-2013, 07:34 AM
Nah to much for a DLC

Season 1 dlc will have 5dlc so in that 5dlc u will go from sacramento - nevada
Season 2 will be that Utah area with 5dlc
Season 3 Willbe denver with 5dlc
Season 4 will be around Kansas/iowa for 5dlc
Season 5 we arrive at Illinois

Each year 1 Season so in 5years we are at St Louis

;)

Can anyone link some proof for all of these assumptions for where the DLC will take us? I mean whoever created this was using Google maps for crying out loud. Also, I was under the impression that the first 5 DLC packs would take FAR less time than 5 years, like maybe a bit over one year, seeing as the first pack was pushed back for performance patches.

Lollie
04-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Can anyone link some proof for all of these assumptions for where the DLC will take us? I mean whoever created this was using Google maps for crying out loud. Also, I was under the impression that the first 5 DLC packs would take FAR less time than 5 years, like maybe a bit over one year, seeing as the first pack was pushed back for performance patches.

That DLC map is definitely just a hopeful guess (fanmade, not official).

As for the 5 DLCs spanning 5 years, that wasn't about 5 DLCs, that was about someone saying it would take 5 years to get to St Louis (and they suggested it would be 5 lots of 5 DLC packs).

Solpel
04-24-2013, 07:46 AM
Very likely the folding over happened because of the item the old mayor is after, which would make it only possible it happened to other cities if someone purposely planted those devices there just for that purpose, so yeah, very unlikely.

vanDragon
04-24-2013, 07:51 AM
That DLC map is definitely just a hopeful guess (fanmade, not official).

As for the 5 DLCs spanning 5 years, that wasn't about 5 DLCs, that was about someone saying it would take 5 years to get to St Louis (and they suggested it would be 5 lots of 5 DLC packs).

Ya i mean 5seasons a 5 DLC and yeah its my 2cents not official

mr_mover34
04-24-2013, 07:55 AM
Everyone assumes that the item the old mayor is looking for caused the "fold" over old St. Louis. We don't know that yet. Heck we only know Old St. Louis is like that because they are mining there. Could be plenty of other places where there are folds in the earth. Not everyone has to be a city. As soon as I heard them talk about the earth folding like that I saw opportunity for the game to have a lot more dungeons/caves as DLCs.

Antomus
04-24-2013, 07:57 AM
Ya i mean 5seasons a 5 DLC and yeah its my 2cents not official

I've just seen a few of these today and not too sure where it's coming from and from the way they are being presented and the threads' responses to them it seems as though a lot of people are taking them as fact, or at least a genuine idea (no offense lol). I was honestly hoping there may be some sort of fresh news I was missing.

MacDeath
04-24-2013, 08:02 AM
I'm pretty sure that a "season" is a LOT shorter than a year. Here are some examples; the calendar year is made up of 4 seasons, winter, spring, summer, and fall, each lasting 3 months. The TV series Season one has 13 weekly episodes, again taking about 1/4 of a year to watch it thru one time.

So, I expect the 5 DLC season pass to last about 13 weeks.

Antomus
04-24-2013, 08:05 AM
I'm pretty sure that a "season" is a LOT shorter than a year. Here are some examples; the calendar year is made up of 4 seasons, winter, spring, summer, and fall, each lasting 3 months. The TV series Season one has 13 weekly episodes, again taking about 1/4 of a year to watch it thru one time.

So, I expect the 5 DLC season pass to last about 13 weeks.

The content has to last between seasons as well. Just because the show isn't on doesn't mean the game will shut down until next season.

MacDeath
04-24-2013, 08:43 AM
The content has to last between seasons as well. Just because the show isn't on doesn't mean the game will shut down until next season.
I don't expect it to shut down. I also don't expect there to be only one season pass per year. Season passes are / will be a big money maker for Trion. Four seasons per year brings in a lot more revenue than one.

mr_mover34
04-24-2013, 08:48 AM
I don't expect it to shut down. I also don't expect there to be only one season pass per year. Season passes are / will be a big money maker for Trion. Four seasons per year brings in a lot more revenue than one.
Pretty sure they already said a "Season Pass" would be one year worth of DLCs. Which has been announced to be 5. If 5 DLCs in one year isn't enough for you I don't think you will ever be happy. I guess that will have to depend on what is actually in a DLC. We shall see.

Antomus
04-24-2013, 08:52 AM

I was being facetious when I made the comment about he game shutting down when the show isn't showing new seasons. But, I don't believe a "season pass" refers to the four seasons of the year either. Seeing as one season is ≈ 3 months I don't see Trion putting out 5 complete DLC packs in this amount of time. This content would be rushed and incomplete. That would be gamebreaking.

ironhands
04-24-2013, 10:21 AM
I mean whoever created this was using Google maps for crying out loud.

Rob made it.

ironhands
04-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Cool how long have you worked at Trion, and care to share any more unreleased information with us?

the information is freely available

reposting my old info:

looking up my post now...

got it:

http://www.indiewire.com/article/tel...cleHeaderPanel

"He figured out the legal system as a system of private prisons. So Las Vegas, which is now marshlands and volcanoes, has become a private prison, and we developed with the game who the character is that runs the prison, he has some connections to some of our characters, and now that’s there in the wiki.

Now in the TV show when we travel to Las Vegas in season two, we know everything there is to know about the various people there"

http://www.digitalspy.ca/gaming/inte...e-collide.html

also a good read

Fiancee
04-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Hmm, rumours has been first DLC adds the sea, make some stuff you can board on, and kill them. Microsoft leaked it.. Its name is called as Infamy.

Sogreth
04-24-2013, 10:49 AM
True. You are right.

Jotsu
04-24-2013, 11:19 AM
Give me Alcatraz, Either as a player hub, or a mission to clear it out. And some post apocalyptic death race. Shield mods, car mods, and some land mines. And please let us go to other countries, America gets so much love. And capes, just because.

EdgeTW
04-24-2013, 11:55 AM

Guys.. if this is seriously what you're imagining, you need to reign in those expectations or you're just going to be all kinds of disappointed.

While nobody outside of the dev team can say for sure, I think we'll be extremely lucky if the DLC simply opens up another area adjacent to the current map (and by "area", I mean a small area like San Francisco, Marin, etc.)

jnt
04-24-2013, 11:57 AM
1st DLC will probably be that inaccessible sliver of SF.

EdgeTW
04-24-2013, 12:03 PM

This is probably one of the more reasonable expectations in the thread. I would love to be pleasantly surprised, but we should be prepared for a whole DLC being something like 5 new reskins of clothing and growler vehicles.

ironhands
04-24-2013, 12:03 PM
The overall trend will likely be to expand east, for obvious reasons. They can't really push West since it's all water - even if they bring in boats and islands, it's just open water. North and South are also decent options.

I didn't suggest it would expand all of the way to St. Louis, that's clearly way too much to expect. Pushing towards Vegas, is certainly more likely, and we know upcoming content will feature Las Vegas. If anything, we'll get an area opened up with each DLC the same size as Mt Tam or madera.

NFC what lurch was thinking, that we'd bet getting a few hundred square miles in a DLC, that's insane.

jnt
04-24-2013, 12:09 PM
The overall trend will likely be to expand east, for obvious reasons. They can't really push West since it's all water - even if they bring in boats and islands, it's just open water. North and South are also decent options.

I think it's far more reasonable to see either underutilized map pieces added (no good reason for some of this stuff to be missing...it's so random it hurts to think about) or some kind "portal" npc (airplane, low orbit transport, land train, etc.) that takes people to an unconnected piece of land.

One giant square of desert with some terrain undulation. Throw in some copy pasted emergencies and maybe some suspiciously familiar mines. BAM done.

Jotsu
04-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Charge Blades, and a skill progression to go with it

EdgeTW
04-24-2013, 12:13 PM

I didn't suggest it would expand all of the way to St. Louis, that's clearly way too much to expect. Pushing towards Vegas, is certainly more likely, and we know upcoming content will feature Las Vegas. If anything, we'll get an area opened up with each DLC the same size as Mt Tam or madera.

NFC what lurch was thinking, that we'd bet getting a few hundred square miles in a DLC, that's insane.

I think pushing south would be more interesting. I mean, yeah, it would be interesting to go east if they were planning on huge pushes eastward that took us out of California entirely, but in a few years time I honestly don't expect the current map area to be more than twice the size it is now. I mean.. look at what we have after all the development time they've had so far.

So, if then can only take baby steps I'd rather see them continue to go south. More chances for old earth structures that way than the mountains out each (which are probably no longer mountains but you're not going to find much in the way of old city ruins for a while). Maybe one day we'll be playing under the Hollywood sign (seriously doubt they'll ever get that far, though). Besides, it would be in line with the current path the game takes (from north to south)

.. or some kind "portal" npc (airplane, low orbit transport, land train, etc.) that takes people to an unconnected piece of land.

That is probably very likely. Good way to keep out people who don't pay for the DLC also, if they want.

jnt
04-24-2013, 12:21 PM
I think it's an important step for interested parties to accept that it won't be large.

It WON'T be large. It CAN'T be large. It would be ****ing crazy.

No one in their right mind holds back huge amounts of content. Not when Defiance has as little content as it has right now.

Games need first impressions to be good or great. If people lose or never have interest then what is the point of waiting.

ps. for the grammar nazis: I left the ? off my question because I don't actually want answers for it :D

EdgeTW
04-24-2013, 12:26 PM
For what it's worth, they were asked during one of the pre-launch live streams if they were holding back areas of the map to release later as DLC and in their response they stressed that they were holding nothing back, that we were getting everything they currently had. So, yeah.. if you believe that, then probably best not to assume they're sitting on huge swaths of landscape for later release. Everything needs to be built still (which seems crazy, but I guess they just didn't have the resources to start working on DLC and/or expansions pre-launch). :(

jnt
04-24-2013, 12:30 PM
For what it's worth, they were asked during one of the pre-launch live streams if they were holding back areas of the map to release later as DLC and in their response they stressed that they were holding nothing back, that we were getting everything they currently had. So, yeah.. if you believe that, then probably best not to assume they're sitting on huge swaths of landscape for later release. Everything needs to be built still (which seems crazy, but I guess they just didn't have the resources to start working on DLC and/or expansions pre-launch). :(

They released a game to include synergy mods that aren't in game.

They didn't hold anything back? Hah please. That is hilarious.

Orge Lambart
04-24-2013, 12:32 PM
The game was rushed to release. It's obvious if you look at it as a whole. The game needed another 3 or 4 months of production and about 3 months of alpha and beta testing. Another reason why licensed products are bad.

ironhands
04-24-2013, 12:42 PM
I think it's far more reasonable to see either underutilized map pieces added (no good reason for some of this stuff to be missing...it's so random it hurts to think about) or some kind "portal" npc (airplane, low orbit transport, land train, etc.) that takes people to an unconnected piece of land.

One giant square of desert with some terrain undulation. Throw in some copy pasted emergencies and maybe some suspiciously familiar mines. BAM done.

That's definitely an option, but with so much blacked out space on the map, I'd hope they open those up. I'm not a fan of the portal NPC method.

MacDeath
04-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Could be. That's where Fort Defiance is/was.

Figma
04-24-2013, 03:06 PM
Fort Defiance :p
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?41101-Fort-Defiance-Possible-DLC

ELChristo
04-24-2013, 11:58 PM
I've enjoyed reading this thread and decided to throw in my 2 cents.

To me, the fact that the add-ons are called 'DLC's and not expansions says that we aren't going to get huge areas unlocked. We'll probably get a couple new co-op maps, some pvp maps, some new weapons and vehicles, and maybe a few hours worth of new main story missions. All happening in the areas we already have available to us.

As previously mentioned, if a new area opens up, it'll probably be that wee slither in San Fran