PDA

View Full Version : Auction?

wig
03-20-2013, 08:14 AM
I still think it would be good to have a slave Auction in it to buy 1 mutant or 1 scrapper to stay with you and level with you but they would be melee with claws for scrappers and for mutants chainsaw's or metal poles.

Zalm
03-20-2013, 08:25 AM
I still think it would be good to have a slave Auction in it to buy 1 mutant or 1 scrapper to stay with you and level with you but they would be melee with claws for scrappers and for mutants chainsaw's or metal poles.

wait....slavery? wtf is wrong with you.

Salgod
03-20-2013, 08:26 AM

I like the idea, but me personally...I'd prefer a companion system similar to Swtor. Someone who you can customize and have your back while doing decent damage but nothing that's too strong. I'd rather have someone who can use guns. But still a nice idea.

IGears
03-20-2013, 08:27 AM
i think that wouldn't be good for the TV show purpose.

Salgod
03-20-2013, 08:28 AM

I don't think the OP is condoning slavery in real life, seems more like his version of a companion system. If you were kidding then ignore my post.

Travie
03-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Do they already have a pet system?

If not this might be hard to balance for on short notice.

Zalm
03-20-2013, 08:38 AM
I don't think the OP is condoning slavery in real life, seems more like his version of a companion system. If you were kidding then ignore my post.

Kidding kinda. The idea of a companion wouldnt be a bad idea, but it would be preferable to have them as gunners, since everything else is more or less guns anyway.

Travie
03-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Kidding kinda. The idea of a companion wouldnt be a bad idea, but it would be preferable to have them as gunners, since everything else is more or less guns anyway.

Yeah, having your companion running through your line of fire every few seconds might be a bit grating...

wig
03-20-2013, 08:55 AM
i think that wouldn't be good for the TV show purpose.

Farscape had slavery in it and so did Star war's, it is a sinister bit of life that goes on evan today...

Shag
03-20-2013, 09:01 AM
As much as I liked the companions in SW:ToR I really don't think it'd be good to have similar companions, slaves or battle-pets in Defiance. Why? Well, just imagine one of the bigger arkfalls. There are already lot's of players grouped at one point, lot's of npc's running around... and now let's add another one or two NPCs per player. Even if it wouldn't start to lag, it would be really hard to spot which of the 50 scrappers is the enemy and which are companions etc.

If you want some "cosmetical" minipets like a dog, cat, chicken or mutated worm... well... you got me. If you want active combat-pets, I don't think that will work out. Also, just think about balancing... gosh, that'd be horrible.

Zalm
03-20-2013, 09:07 AM
As much as I liked the companions in SW:ToR I really don't think it'd be good to have similar companions, slaves or battle-pets in Defiance. Why? Well, just imagine one of the bigger arkfalls. There are already lot's of players grouped at one point, lot's of npc's running around... and now let's add another one or two NPCs per player. Even if it wouldn't start to lag, it would be really hard to spot which of the 50 scrappers is the enemy and which are companions etc.

If you want some "cosmetical" minipets like a dog, cat, chicken or mutated worm... well... you got me. If you want active combat-pets, I don't think that will work out. Also, just think about balancing... gosh, that'd be horrible.

Those are a fantastic point, when it comes to a mmo, we better hold off until we see how well the game plays.

wig
03-20-2013, 09:10 AM

I did not mean pet's, only Mutants and alien humanoids and normal humans.
Robots what could look simular to scrapper's.

Zalm
03-20-2013, 09:16 AM
I did not mean pet's, only Mutants. Robots what could look simular to scrapper's.

Same issue applies as his first statement. I dont know which mutant or scrapper to shoot at, since there are 10 people with 10 companions, and there are 10 enemies to kill. Thats alot of stuff on screen at once.

wig
03-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Same issue applies as his first statement. I dont know which mutant or scrapper to shoot at, since there are 10 people with 10 companions, and there are 10 enemies to kill. Thats alot of stuff on screen at once.

look at most games when you have companions in it it is easy to tell from how different they look to normal enermies by what they are wearing and colours/ not all the same.

wig
03-20-2013, 09:27 AM
plus not every one wants a companion so its a matter of choice.

Defy
03-20-2013, 09:31 AM
it could be that in the future slavery is abolished

Desidus
03-20-2013, 09:32 AM
plus not every one wants a companion so its a matter of choice.

I want lots of companions... But real people controlling them... :)

Actually I think pets would be great, many games do the pet concept just fine. It would have to be balanced just like any other thing. 5th ability or something like that... Who knows.

Desidus
03-20-2013, 09:33 AM

Come on be realistic...

wig
03-20-2013, 09:36 AM

it might but I seriously doubt it, evil reign's all/ power turns to corruption in the end never pure always greed gets the rule-ling class.

Zalm
03-20-2013, 09:36 AM
look at most games when you have companions in it it is easy to tell from how different they look to normal enermies by what they are wearing and colours/ not all the same.

Doesnt take away from the fact that there would be tons of stuff on screen. And even worse when it comes to arkfalls. 50-100 people, 50-100 companions, and how ever many monsters....sounds like it would needlessly lag the servers and bog down the game.

wig
03-20-2013, 09:39 AM
I want lots of companions... But real people controlling them... :)

Actually I think pets would be great, many games do the pet concept just fine. It would have to be balanced just like any other thing. 5th ability or something like that... Who knows.

i hated WoW it was lame.....

wig
03-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Doesnt take away from the fact that there would be tons of stuff on screen. And even worse when it comes to arkfalls. 50-100 people, 50-100 companions, and how ever many monsters....sounds like it would needlessly lag the servers and bog down the game.

i can see what you are trying to say that it would slow the line down but why should you care, after all it is just a game to be played and enjoyed by all not stream lined throow.

Zalm
03-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Its not streamlining the game when talking about making the game more functional. Too much stuff on screen slows the game down and makes the FPS and ping crash hard. Less clutter on screen=more fps=faster gameplay. In a game where skill and speed supersede bulk power in alot of instances, I'd rather be faster. Less in game AIs=less ping=faster gameplay. Same reasoning.

And I care because I dont want 100 people with 100 pets clogging up everyones screen and crashing the servers, making it impossible to have fun in a game that isnt working.

wig
03-20-2013, 09:54 AM
Its not streamlining the game when talking about making the game more functional. Too much stuff on screen slows the game down and makes the FPS and ping crash hard. Less clutter on screen=more fps=faster gameplay. In a game where skill and speed supersede bulk power in alot of instances, I'd rather be faster. Less in game AIs=less ping=faster gameplay. Same reasoning.

And I care because I dont want 100 people with 100 pets clogging up everyones screen and crashing the servers, making it impossible to have fun in a game that isnt working.

like I said it's a matter of choice not just yours but everyones so take a break

Zalm
03-20-2013, 09:57 AM
like I said it's a matter of choice not just yours but everyones so take a break

Think about it for a second....having a companion would be nothing but a befit. You would get extra survivability through him taking dmg as well as you, and he deals extra dmg so you kill faster. Think about how 95%(maybe a made up number, maybe accurate. It might be 99%) of all gamers play. They play with the mind set that they have to be the best, which means taking every cheap trick, every slight advantage and every incentive for efficiency they can find. This means yes, its a choice, a personal preference, but your needlessly gimping yourself by NOT taking the companion. Most players dont needlessly gimp themselves, ever. I do, but thats a fun play style.

Fighting blind is different than fighting blindfolded.

wig
03-20-2013, 10:36 AM
it depends on what the companion consists of like just gaining health when leveling up and you would have to choose what weapons to add and outfits, no added skillz or benefits plain as fallout 3

Snowgoons
03-20-2013, 10:44 AM
No...maybe allow an engineer like class/role/specialization to create a mini scrapper pet but please not everyone...seeing everyone run around with a pet is lame.

Same with everyone having a vehicle, I don't know how I feel they should have done it, but it would have been cool deciding if you wanted to pick some people up as you drove by them.

*EDIT* Gave it some thought, there should be a limit on the vehicles "fuel" say you can drive around for 1 hour real world time total, can drive in small amounts of 5-10 minutes whatever. Once it = 1 hour real world time you need to hitch with someone.

I personally think that would be cool :)

Doc
03-20-2013, 10:46 AM
There needs to be some sort of AH or player market to make any MMO successful imo, lets hope there's one by Launch.

Zalm
03-20-2013, 10:50 AM
There needs to be some sort of AH or player market to make any MMO successful imo, lets hope there's one by Launch.

were actually talking about pets and stuff, not a AH.

Major Nelson
03-20-2013, 11:56 AM

well here put it this way during a minor arkfall the other day the players were teleporting everywhere and if you add pets ill let you imagine lol

Avexion
03-20-2013, 12:53 PM
In Old Republic they had hit rating and crit rating and power and a number of things that affected damage on all classes different, What you take when you hit soft/hard cap and so on was different from character to character and how it affected your character, and even going over a hard cap in the case of crit vs power could increase your crit rating so much that you end up in the end critting so often maybe in some classes because of play affect and style that not taking power is made up for even if some don't think so, or not taking a fill hit rating/accuracy cap because its a waste of points on the armor more or less with your mods or other things, or not spending a million credits to get the top end mods or armor plates because they cost way to much and why should someone get your three days worth of credits for you to gain less then 3 points of damage right?

The point is things come to play style, and I suspect a companion pet of any kind as others said would lead to the fact that it would end up a tank no matter how you look at it, and in affect skills like blur that allow you to distracted in a way as if a pre-image of you is tanking for a moment suggests all kinds of good stuff, the point I guess I am making is. Others are right you got people who play how they play either way and are good, and then you got the ELITE jerks who do way more research then is needed and still after getting their armor just how they want it end up spending more credits or gold or whatever to change it all out because they BONED it up the first time. I say fly by your pants and make changes as you need it, don't so much let others change how you play so much as notice what others do and mimic with what you know and learn from what you see.

I suspect if they are anything like Swtor on this I suspect they will not even have damage meters as to lower or prevent the whole e-peen behavior or so I might hope well kill counts and other things might be recalled, people often show little or no respect to some tasks or jobs, I for instance even in Swtor would often end up off tank as a commando because the tank sucked or was not keeping mobs off the healer, I had done entire heroics as primary tank in a number of runs because the tank sucked so hard and the healer was more then able to make up for it. The point is, at some point its on skill and ability and not what your stats show, that is a point they made when they made it so a high level character in this game is able to play interact and deal with low level players on a skill level not a stat level more or less. So remember that, this MMO is working and moving on a different subjective level of understanding and managing then all before it more or less if you read between the lines.

I had even tanked Project Sav-Rak in Lost Island after the tank fell off the platform from 90 percent to 8 percent before he enraged and killed us all, and at that time I was the only one besides the healer still on the platform which means I had done a heck TON of damage to the boss so much so I more or less with a tank could have more or less three manned the boss. The point is at some point, how you play and gear and skill and timing affects everything. People focus on one thing not the others.

In Wow when Uldaar came out I was not doing the best damage as my mage as I was trying to figure out how to kill the bosses, my guild got progress as a group as I would call out movement corrections even if it affected my damage it still helped us down bosses even if I was not told to do it I would still call out names and things, I may not have been getting top damage but at the same time I was not getting killed and still able to do damage as I did it. Even if in all other raids up til then I was doing top damage on all meters as my mage, with and without AOE. And I still had improvements I could make to my mage, even compared to some of the guild mages who had better gear or enchants give or take personal opinion. Point is skill or ability or the ability to make corrections to allow many not the one to do better even if your not the leader or in charge often makes the difference between success and failure. But times change things change games change, gear caps suck. But even this game suggested you would not have a blant paid download cap and so that means you still get content, but not loot use. That suggests that the gear will not affect how you preform in new content with other players more or less in some regards based on what was said about the DLC season pass stuff.

wig
03-21-2013, 10:33 AM
I have always prefer playing RPG's/shooters mainly with my xbox, i could never get my self into WoW with the computer, really sucked being a hunter and the attacking system way lame first you had too wait until you selected a target then wait until you powers were ready then strike then lame, at least with shooter's you can just piont and shoot not until hours to kill one monster.
at least with the RPG's once your companion died they stay dead costing you more or nothing and they had a easy system to handle.
they just followed you and shoot and you can change there gear and there health increases when you level up.
.................................................. .................................................. .......................................

It's Raining Hell Bugs in England/U.K

Psychometrics
03-21-2013, 10:55 AM

well, they had some slavery in swtor lol one companion you could have you could always electrocute her because the slave collar she had on xD it's a little messed up, but it's for the lulz!

Avexion
03-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Vetta was the most LOLS Ever, you could go on to sleep with her sister her best friend and the list went on and on................ It was a LOLfest for sure, and after you get in a relationship with her she suggest she will go get the slave collar so you can zap her if you like........... It was one of the most messed up things ever in less your into laughs. Then again the Sith Warrior had some of the best companion stories when compared to a few of the others, and I played enough of them to know the Bounty hunter companion stories not so moving or interesting after the first one and the story that setup the bounty hunter in the first place. I also Know the agent was said to have one of the best stories in all the game but I never got around to getting deep enough into it.

The commando's companion stories not so bad, the Jedi Knight also not so bad, the sage had the most over all different like compared to the Inquisitor, then again the inquisitor was also a lol fest on its companions. The smuggler got some good lines but it fell sort at times on the companion stories. And the Jedi Knight was most like the 4th Starwars movie over all, or the traditional Starwars ending no matter how you want to measure it. For the story mode I mean/quest line.

Companions can be fun but they don't fit the play style I think that is the point I made before, companions come from making friends end of story in this game. If you want someone to be a Bullet shield make a friend.

Kinda hope they have different stories for each class in this, auctions are useful but when the entire progress in gear is often bought in auction houses like in Diablo 3 or Swtor it sucks because you are selling things because you can't find what you want, but know others want it. Gearing up should never relay primary on LUCK. A quest should give you valid loot. And Swtor at least had a good amount of that if you hat the patience for it.

Trailbrekaer
03-21-2013, 05:17 PM

Got to agree with the man. didnt we get over that whole fad years ago?

MattN
03-21-2013, 05:38 PM
The big mutant looks like super mutant from Fallout. In that game we can have super mutant Fawkes as companion, it'll be nice if we can have one of those npc companion as bodyguard.