PDA

View Full Version : Reviews in review

mattlewis
04-24-2013, 12:44 PM
It took me a couple of weeks to take the defiance plunge due to lackluster reviews from major sites, and poor user reviews on metacritic.
first thing's first.
while i did experience a mission bug that sent me back a mission to the one i previously completed... but other than that the whole experience has been fun and addicting.
infact, defiance has been an experience i have never had seeing as how i'm a console gamer and mmo's aren't exactly a dominant genre. but overall it's been great.
the first thing i noticed was the poor quality of facial animations that bugged me for less than 3 seconds during the initial intro cut scene. it was easily overlooked. then i went on to play defiance for the first time and got this tribes feeling from it. the shooting was standard third person shooter fare, and the mission structure was fun and clear to follow. so far so good. i then went on to drive my atv around and found this was comperable to atv offroad fury 2 on ps2. i never expected motorstorm. so far so good. then i continued playing and found myself completing missions and side missions that organically drew me in without taking me out of the game. then ark falls. this game is great i realized. it was underrated by people who played preview builds a week before the actual game came out. i then realized that this game... a mmo...was reviewed when nobody was playing online yet. that doesn't sound like fun.
from my understanding, games are made to play and have fun with. if the game is fun regaurdless of it's initial shortcomings, it should be rated accordingly. i feel they had zero justification giving this game such low scores which is going to deter people as it did me... and that is unfair as defiance is the most fun i've had with my playstation ever. if it looks like a fox, smells like a fox, acts like a fox, feels like a fox... then it's probably a fox. bugs will be worked out. i'd rather have a fun game with a few bugs than a perfect game that isn't fun. the funfactor is why we buy games... i think that aspect should account for more of the review than anything superficial that may be holding it back.
on that note... i give ign a 60/100 gamespot 6.5/100 and all of publications that jumped the gun on this one something comparable.

jamwan
04-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Sounds like you had a pretty similar experiance to me! Apart from I had no clue as to what the game was about, did not read any reviews and you could spend hours picking at the small bad points about the game but if you just ignore it and get one with it its a fairly decent game. I am still a little baffled, but am slowly but surley learning the ropes.

mattlewis
04-24-2013, 01:21 PM
yeah it's just unfortunate. it bugs me to think i would have skipped over this. but i'm here now and i'm laughing at the dumb reviews. it really just served as a wakeup call to me. now i know better than to base my purchases strictly off of web and magazine reviews. i mean, the majority of problems mentioned in most reviews haven't even popped up for me yet. the framerate may dip, but hardly ever to a noticable level to make the game unplayable. it's all unjustified stupidity. i guess this game just wasn't shiny enough for some. i, on the other hand understand what makes this game so special... and it has nothing to do with complex shaders, hd textures or high polygon counts.

uninhabitableheart
04-24-2013, 01:26 PM
yeah it's just unfortunate. it bugs me to think i would have skipped over this. but i'm here now and i'm laughing at the dumb reviews. it really just served as a wakeup call to me. now i know better than to base my purchases strictly off of web and magazine reviews. i mean, the majority of problems mentioned in most reviews haven't even popped up for me yet. the framerate may dip, but hardly ever to a noticable level to make the game unplayable. it's all unjustified stupidity. i guess this game just wasn't shiny enough for some. i, on the other hand understand what makes this game so special... and it has nothing to do with complex shaders, hd textures or high polygon counts.

Yeah man, I feel ya. I've been crazy excited about this game from the first day that I *READ THE CONCEPT BEHIND IT*. I couldn't give a damn less about character design or other irrelevant and purely aesthetic aspects of the game. It's a really freaking cool idea and I've been loving it!

I've had guns vanish from my inventory, I have a couple of bugged pursuits, and I've joined coop missions that were glitched out... but you know what? IDGAF! :D

mattlewis
04-24-2013, 01:48 PM
yeah, this will go down as the most underrated game of 2013 for sure

Jack The Bear
04-24-2013, 01:58 PM

Actually i believe this game was a bit more overhyped then anything. Sure its a new launch MMO but I see at least 6 commercials a day, all over the place. When they get the killer bugs ironed out this game will start to shine really well. It is a very fun game though if you can look past the bugs, and playing with other people is EXTREMELY important in this game. Even i get bored when i don't play with friends.

BTW OP, Next time you do a post like this, that you want people to read. Don't put up a wall of text, It deters others from wanting to read it. Just a heads up. :]

datalore
04-24-2013, 02:09 PM
just goes to show you how ps3 and xbox360 players have no idea what a good mmo is :-)

cusman
04-24-2013, 03:59 PM

Possible... it isn't a great game but it is fun and has tons of content, but it can also get very repetitive once you have tried out enough of the unique weapons. If it didn't have some of the bugs it has, it wouldn't have the frustration factor that brings my overall happiness with the game down.

Defy
04-24-2013, 05:52 PM
yeah IGN appears to have had something against this game they were bashing it all the time

Capattac
04-24-2013, 08:33 PM
maybe this is a clue... Critics are useless. Use this as a learning moment.

RegularX
04-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Actually i believe this game was a bit more overhyped then anything. Sure its a new launch MMO but I see at least 6 commercials a day, all over the place. When they get the killer bugs ironed out this game will start to shine really well. It is a very fun game though if you can look past the bugs, and playing with other people is EXTREMELY important in this game. Even i get bored when i don't play with friends.

BTW OP, Next time you do a post like this, that you want people to read. Don't put up a wall of text, It deters others from wanting to read it. Just a heads up. :]

Yeah, any time you a game advertising as "revolutionizing" anything ... there's always going to be some backlash. Revolutions aren't fought in ad space.

Eagle7D8
04-24-2013, 10:58 PM
just goes to show you how ps3 and xbox360 players have no idea what a good mmo is :-)

You do know that FFXI is on 360 right? Oh and FFXIV:ARR is coming to PS3. I hate PC elitists. Thankfully I'm not a close minded.

MacDeath
04-24-2013, 11:05 PM
yeah IGN appears to have had something against this game they were bashing it all the time
With IGN (and many other mags), you get what you pay for. It would seem that Trion & SyFy didn't buy add space on IGN.

jamwan
04-25-2013, 01:29 AM

I didnt even realise what an MMO was let alone that you could get one on ps3 before defiance lol!