PDA

View Full Version : PaytoWin?

Renegade Snarf
03-20-2013, 11:24 AM
It has been mentioned that bits which can only be purchased with cash can be used to buy weapons shields and stuff; kinda sounds like happy wars sure its free but if you dont have a badass weapon or armor your going to continually get one shotted :(

Anyone else worried about this or know how are they combating it?

ironhands
03-20-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm pretty sure anything you can buy has an equivalent option in the game, buying it just a shortcut, but we won't know for a while. It may be that those items are only cosmetically different, or slightly different, like, faster reload but lower capacity. Some people might like it but it shouldn't give a clear advantage, and really, unless you're doing heavy PvP, you should be fine with the items you earn.

lPATT
03-20-2013, 11:35 AM
even if you can buy the strongest or best sniper of the game, if you go in pvp with it but you suck at aiming and a guys with the survivalist sniper keep headshoting you before you can kill anything , well i guess your super sniper that you bought is worthless . it still a skill base game not like happy wars where it gear base , so as long you have super premium item, you can only use X to kill everything =P

Zalm
03-20-2013, 11:36 AM
Some purchased gear might also have special requirements that make it so yes, you can buy them, but no you can use them at level 1. And in game found stuff might be overall better no matter what, and the Bits Bought gear might be just a crutch if your getting bad drops.

TheFool
03-20-2013, 11:37 AM
It has been mentioned that bits which can only be purchased with cash can be used to buy weapons shields and stuff; kinda sounds like happy wars sure its free but if you dont have a badass weapon or armor your going to continually get one shotted :(

Anyone else worried about this or know how are they combating it?

Aww good ol' happy wars. Love me happy cards ^^

Krazee DD
03-20-2013, 11:54 AM
I will be mostly PvE, so PvP gear doesn't appel to me.

elquietone
03-20-2013, 11:58 AM
This is a very common practice in a lot of MMO's that are free, you get access to the whole game for free. But super special rare weapons or armors and things like XP+ for x amounts of days, will cost money. That being said, does not mean it surpasses the gear that drops in game.

Nobody is forcing you to buy them, and none of it is needed to win at the game.

JerZey CJ
03-20-2013, 12:15 PM
This is a very common practice in a lot of MMO's that are free, you get access to the whole game for free. But super special rare weapons or armors and things like XP+ for x amounts of days, will cost money. That being said, does not mean it surpasses the gear that drops in game.

Nobody is forcing you to buy them, and none of it is needed to win at the game.
But Defiance isn't free.

Theonerayman
03-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Sledge said in another post in the general section that the best weapons in the game will not be obtainable through the cash shop and will have to be earned in game.

Zalm
03-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Sledge said in another post in the general section that the best weapons in the game will not be obtainable through the cash shop and will have to be earned in game.

Some purchased gear might also have special requirements that make it so yes, you can buy them, but no you can use them at level 1. And in game found stuff might be overall better no matter what, and the Bits Bought gear might be just a crutch if your getting bad drops.

I think this is worth reposting. Given, this is ME saying it, but I think its a reasonable assumption.

Aaricane
03-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Only thing i will be buying is different outfits/vehicles etc. No weapons or shields for me.
(at least that's what i'm telling myself)

elquietone
03-20-2013, 12:24 PM
But Defiance isn't free.

I didn't think I needed to clarify F2P vs B2P for free... Its free as in free to play after you buy it.. No 15$ a month charge, and a very common practice in MMO's that you do not need to pay to play (P2P) is to set up something called items shop, where you use real money to buy in game items or boosts. :I

Aaricane
03-20-2013, 12:25 PM
I didn't think I needed to clarify F2P vs B2P for freeIf only that were true, this is the internet after all.....

Zalm
03-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Only thing i will be buying is different outfits/vehicles etc. No weapons or shields for me.
(at least that's what i'm telling myself)

I'm hoping for some inventory upgrades and a few cosmetic pets and outfits. Maybe a different look for vehicles and such too.

StickyChief
03-20-2013, 07:27 PM

Where did Sledge say this? This is a very big deal to me and many other players intending to purchase the game.

Paladin
03-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Where did Sledge say this? This is a very big deal to me and many other players intending to purchase the game.

I can't find it but I'm absolutely positive he said this sticky.

daemon
03-20-2013, 08:21 PM
It's hard to respond to this without breaking nda. But just going off what they said on the live stream till the 22nd. They have said several times you don't need to purchase anything from the store.

In two days this topic should be put to rest for good.

That_MF_Wolf
03-20-2013, 08:36 PM
they say that you will only be able to buy boot pack

Buruko
03-20-2013, 08:51 PM
So here (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?4280-Sledgehammer70-Store-for-real-money-is-where-and-info-where-it-s-how-many-days-til&highlight=game+store) is Sledge talking about the store. In at least one post he did state that weapons, shields, and such would be for sale along with boosts, however he followed up in the same thread saying he never stated when those things would go on sale.

So yea. We find out April 2nd if this is Pay2Win and if so I will be very very disappointed.

TheFool
03-20-2013, 08:56 PM
So here (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?4280-Sledgehammer70-Store-for-real-money-is-where-and-info-where-it-s-how-many-days-til&highlight=game+store) is Sledge talking about the store. In at least one post he did state that weapons, shields, and such would be for sale along with boosts, however he followed up in the same thread saying he never stated when those things would go on sale.

So yea. We find out April 2nd if this is Pay2Win and if so I will be very very disappointed.

And I will be very very happy :P I'm happy enough with the cosmetic part of it, but if it does turn into a p2w (which is strange that so many people complain about with this game since it is heavily centered around pve and coop rather than pvp) I will have no problem dishing out the dough.

Sledgehammer70
03-20-2013, 09:04 PM
The bulk of items in the store will be outfits, vehicles, boosts etc... We will reveal the full details around the in game store soon.

Buruko
03-20-2013, 09:10 PM
The bulk of items in the store will be outfits, vehicles, boosts etc... We will reveal the full details around the in game store soon.

No!! He said it! The horrid vile word!! He said it!!! Oh he might say it again!!! Ni Ni Ni!!!

ZombieTech
03-20-2013, 09:21 PM
*Facepalm* How come so many story-driven content MMOs today need to be hampered with PvP concerns? Not trying to be a dork either... there's games specifically catered to PvP mechanics... yet the constant push for PvP comes into story-driven MMOs that could have tons of potential... PvP happens (usually more than need be), and then the gripes are that "PvP is broken", or "this PvP is not what we wanted", etc... until people leave to find the next best "PvP boat" to sail on... leaving us PvE'ers stuck with half of a game, and the other half the left-over PvP pile that everybody griped for. There's SEVERAL games that come to mind that are now ghost towns because the community shouted for PvP, so that's mostly what the devs focused on, then the PvPers got bored and left... so us PvE'ers again, were left with a ghost-town and not much new in the way of story content.

Paladin
03-20-2013, 09:22 PM
No!! He said it! The horrid vile word!! He said it!!! Oh he might say it again!!! Ni Ni Ni!!!

He said it and he will get rid of it..as always:D

Vuule
03-21-2013, 03:45 AM

He should've said.. Damnit, forgot the word again.. >_>;

Digital Parasite
03-21-2013, 05:00 AM
I doubt I'll do any PvP unless there are achievements or event items to gain, but afterwards, nope.

Zalm
03-21-2013, 06:38 AM
He should've said.. Damnit, forgot the word again.. >_>;

To be announced?

AngryAardvark
03-21-2013, 06:58 AM
I'm hopeful that the drop rate evens out at later levels and since its beta some of us have 4000 scryps to spend I get that.. but even the 1500 will be a HUGE advantage.. figure I got to 101 ego in ~4 hours or so was able to purchase 4 T 3 lock boxes and a few others... I'm currently rocking Purple 97 ego gear all over on two load outs..

just finished a very hard save *cough cough* mission solo that reward was a green AR that a blue AR I have sitting in my inventory that is ~30 levels less is better...

:mad: Garbage.

Nerdy Ryuu
03-21-2013, 07:03 AM
*Facepalm* How come so many story-driven content MMOs today need to be hampered with PvP concerns? Not trying to be a dork either... there's games specifically catered to PvP mechanics... yet the constant push for PvP comes into story-driven MMOs that could have tons of potential... PvP happens (usually more than need be), and then the gripes are that "PvP is broken", or "this PvP is not what we wanted", etc... until people leave to find the next best "PvP boat" to sail on... leaving us PvE'ers stuck with half of a game, and the other half the left-over PvP pile that everybody griped for. There's SEVERAL games that come to mind that are now ghost towns because the community shouted for PvP, so that's mostly what the devs focused on, then the PvPers got bored and left... so us PvE'ers again, were left with a ghost-town and not much new in the way of story content.

BUt Im a xbox player we love pvp. But pve is fun , just not as fun as shooting real players in the face.

Zalm
03-21-2013, 07:09 AM
BUt Im a xbox player we love pvp. But pve is fun , just not as fun as shooting real players in the face.

Care to explain why the blockbuster game Borderlands 2 doesnt have anything for this except the duel system? No organized pvp system, no arena or deathmatches, nothing...And it stills sells a metric **** ton of games. Please dont lump all 360 players into the same 8 year old or collegiate jock CoD stereotype that most consider us already.

ItISLupus
03-21-2013, 08:43 AM
.....damn NDA.....I have the answer you seek but cannot talk about it due to NDA. Ask me again tomorrow

Zalm
03-21-2013, 08:45 AM
.....damn NDA.....I have the answer you seek but cannot talk about it due to NDA. Ask me again tomorrow

I feel you bro...I'd LOVE to talk all about Elder Scrolls Online, but alas, Bethesda has my hands tied and my lips sealed.

ItISLupus
03-21-2013, 08:48 AM
I feel you bro...I'd LOVE to talk all about Elder Scrolls Online, but alas, Bethesda has my hands tied and my lips sealed.

Oh hun if you were into that all you had to do was ask :p

Nerdy Ryuu
03-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Care to explain why the blockbuster game Borderlands 2 doesnt have anything for this except the duel system? No organized pvp system, no arena or deathmatches, nothing...And it stills sells a metric **** ton of games. Please dont lump all 360 players into the same 8 year old or collegiate jock CoD stereotype that most consider us already.
WHOA , Just because I said pvp dont mean I like cod or halo , matter fact I think I am one of the few who hates both tittles. Those are not the only tittles that offer pvp on xbox . I play games like bf3 , gow , ghost recon, rdr. i also have 2 lvl 50 characters on borderlands 2 .All those games offer great pvp even xcom has great pvp. So please get your facts right.

Zalm
03-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Games like GoW, Ghost Recon, RDR, BF3 fall into the CoD styled atmosphere with annoying children who spew vulgarity to 'prove maturity' or beer chugging dorm room jocks who dont actually play games, they screw around in shooters cuz its the only 'cool game' Although Xcom and BL2 does not fall into those aspects, since they have very limited pvp options, using them as an example is still a bad idea. Both of those games are not highlighted because of their pvp qualities, but instead of their quality story and genious game designs.

The argument I was defending was that arguing this game based on pvp attributes is the same as arguing BL2 based on pvp attributes. PvP exists, but its not big enough to be a star portion of their lineup.

Katiedaning
03-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Games like GoW, Ghost Recon, RDR, BF3 fall into the CoD styled atmosphere with annoying children who spew vulgarity to 'prove maturity' or beer chugging dorm room jocks who dont actually play games, they screw around in shooters cuz its the only 'cool game' Although Xcom and BL2 does not fall into those aspects, since they have very limited pvp options, using them as an example is still a bad idea. Both of those games are not highlighted because of their pvp qualities, but instead of their quality story and genious game designs.

The argument I was defending was that arguing this game based on pvp attributes is the same as arguing BL2 based on pvp attributes. PvP exists, but its not big enough to be a star portion of their lineup.

I disagree with everything you just said. You cant really stereotype gamers . It depends on the people you play with. Thats like saying Defiance will end up the same way. Because even cod offers pve modes.

DeadlySkidmarx
03-21-2013, 09:24 AM
Will there be a buying/selling system in place between players?

Zalm
03-21-2013, 09:26 AM

Please dont post this to much, it is considered spam. There are other threads about this.

ItISLupus
03-21-2013, 09:31 AM

Trading yes. I don't know if they will let you trade items AND scrip(in game currency) but there is no auction house. However if you are looking for somewhere to trade/sell with the community you should check out this thread (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?3396-Scrips-amp-Bits-The-Defiance-Marketplace) its a community project.

DeadlySkidmarx
03-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Please dont post this to much, it is considered spam. There are other threads about this.
Yeah I posted this before you answered me in the other thread

Jester_Crow
03-21-2013, 10:01 AM
The only people that will be/ever pay for weapons or extra currency are 10yr. olds...i really dislike micros unless they are purely cosmetic or some sort inventory boost.

P.S. didnt read the previous posts;)

Zalm
03-21-2013, 10:06 AM

Though I dont agree with posting under these circumstances, I DO approve you mentioning it. I appreciate that you are willing to leave feedback, and give us some background that you only have feedback applicable to the thread title. Good job.

TheFool
03-21-2013, 12:08 PM
The only people that will be/ever pay for weapons or extra currency are 10yr. olds...i really dislike micros unless they are purely cosmetic or some sort inventory boost.

10yr olds? I'm 20 my good man, and I plan on buying out the cash shop and all it has to offer.

Zalm
03-21-2013, 12:10 PM
10yr olds? I'm 20 my good man, and I plan on buying out the cash shop and all it has to offer.

The difference is, in a pay to win, most people buying would be just that, ten year olds who just want to win to inflate their poor self esteem and ego. We are not getting a pay to win, so you buying one or more of everything... thats called supporting your favorite game.

DRHARDCOREMCPWN
03-21-2013, 12:46 PM
For a group of so called "mature gamers" you guys bash on children a bit much.... But back on topic. Since it seems like not alot of you have been doing research on the game at all, The entire point of how PVE and PVP are set up is so that they can be fully enjoyed by anyone and They have rewards that transfer to each other. so were still playing the same game whether were with our friends killing mobs or each other. that was the most exciting part to me when i heard about this game! we can actually take gear we earn in pve into pvp and the opposite! anyone who says there should be pvp only guns clearly hasnt played DCUO that game sucked the fun out of itself by making you earn two different types of gear depending on what you wanted to do. PAY TO WIN is a game hat MAKES you buy weapons with Real world currency to stay relevant or usefull within the game. THIS game simply provides a SLIGHT shortcut to certain gear at a reasonable price....if you think the cash shop is PTW then cancel your preorder and buy the game after it comes out so you dont get all the cool GEAR for preordering that later players WONT get...thatll be fair :-D