PDA

View Full Version : Why no falling, drop damage?

Santana Ortega
03-20-2013, 11:33 AM
I see as in RIFT there is no falling or drop damage.

I am ok with that but would have prefered taking non lethal falling damage effects, like a % of damage and a limp etc....

Any reason why this was taken out?

Dead_Phoenix
03-20-2013, 11:35 AM

I am ok with that but would have prefered taking non lethal falling damage effects, like a % of damage and a limp etc....

so you can do totally awesome jumps from your quad.

Luomo
03-20-2013, 11:36 AM
who said it was ever in?
i personally love jumping off anywhere and not getting hurt in this big world

Far_Too_Jones
03-20-2013, 11:43 AM
i think not having falling damage and the insane vertical jumps everyone has is prolly going to get old in PVP at least.

Mavarich
03-20-2013, 11:43 AM
The only place I see this being a problem is in PvP, but you will just have to take this in to account when playing PvP.

Archangel
03-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Nope, never old when you can leap off a 3 story building and punch a guy in the head as you land.

AmishWarMachine
03-20-2013, 11:45 AM
There is no falling damage, as Ark Hunters are born with Femurs Of Steel™.

Zalm
03-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Nope, never old when you can leap off a 3 story building and punch a guy in the head as you land.

NINJA! -instakill-

Doc
03-20-2013, 11:47 AM
so you can do totally awesome jumps from your quad.

Yes indeed!!

Rarodil
03-20-2013, 11:54 AM
There is no falling damage, as Ark Hunters are born with Femurs Of Steel™.

Physics still doesn't work. The rigidity doesn't increase survivability... oh wait... it was a joke.

Avexion
03-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Maybe they knew some kinds of people take great pleasure from forcing a character off a cliff? It was one of my favorite things to pass time and mess with people in wow, take a jump off Thunder Bluff it was a great way to make a new friend even sometimes to pass the time, and the place full of places that would and could be worth jumping off, Even in Borderlands 2 you can find nice places to jump off at times to test how far the edge of the map is and other stuff.

And there was nothing like jumping off Mill one of the PVP maps in wow, and landing and killing someone with you being mostly dead, it was a real thrill to say the least considering the fact you would have to get lucky and catch someone off guard and lock them down with your attacks to prevent them from getting off a single instant cast, so I say its a lot of fun to just remove the luck of not instant dying and adding the ability to just go with the jump a plus at times.

Hiero Glyph
03-20-2013, 12:46 PM
To make PVP annoying as everyone will jump off of buildings with no threat of death. It also promotes excessive jumping so expect this to become just like Halo.

r6pokey
03-20-2013, 12:48 PM
personally i feel there should be fall damage. evading a gunfight by jumping off a cliff or tall building is a cheap exit strategy.

Hiero Glyph
03-20-2013, 12:52 PM
personally i feel there should be fall damage. evading a gunfight by jumping off a cliff or tall building is a cheap exit strategy.

Agreed. Vehicles could always be the exception, but when on foot there is no excuse for a "pixel perfect shooter." Let me guess, ground pixels don't count, right?

Avexion
03-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Don't you think its possible that between the Ego enhancement and maybe other gear, fall damage is a thing of a past? Maybe under your pants the character has some kind of support frame work that allows for a soft landing? You know like some kind of tech that catch's your feet at just the right speed to the ground with some kind of hydrological style system to allow for you to jump? Or maybe the force field is an example of why you can jump without issue, then again I would suspect even if the system allowed you to jump but all you took was full shield damage that would mostly be more acceptable if your going to cry about no fall damage I mean, but the fact remains ARKS and Arktech could do any number of things to dampen a fall without us knowing it, in Halo they have combat suits correct? But what to is to say the character under what they have on does not have some kind of other tech to help with it?

Defy
03-20-2013, 01:51 PM
on one hand its good to be more realistic with fall damge

on other hands many times I've gotten frustrated in other games where I fell and got killed

so there are advantages and disadvantages either way

r6pokey
03-20-2013, 01:57 PM
they could make it incremental with upgrades, so you can fall from greater heights and take less damage.

Hiero Glyph
03-20-2013, 02:36 PM
At the very least Trion could add a recovery period when falling from a minimum height. If you fall from a cliff or purposely jump off of a building there should be a recovery period or a penalty of some nature, even if it is not lethal.

EDIT: Being able to jump continuously is almost as bad. Hopefully there is an acuracy penalty or something.

shellbelle
03-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Yeah especially when you revive yourself and glitch in to the world by falling an incredibly long ways like I have a few times lol

Uncle Coord
03-20-2013, 02:47 PM
I dunno, I believe that Randy Pitchford really explained the lack of falling damage in borderlands 2 best...

Is it fun to take damage when you jump off a cliff? Nope, is it fun to leap from a 200ft cliff like a badass? Yep... We do whats fun...

Strikes me as the best way to put it, I would like to think that Trion are taking a similar stance on their game.

shellbelle
03-20-2013, 02:50 PM
just a personal opinion...I think that they should make it an ability that you spend your EGO points on...I like the challenge of actually having to watch where I go and trying to find the correct path to something...just my opinion though. And Rift was a great MMO regardless of the no fall damage.

Avexion
03-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Epic jumps are fun, that Mountian in the Duskwood or near the Duskwood with slow fall in wow was one of the best jumps ever til they added flying, Or jumping off of Dalaran and then hitting the Iceblock ability just as your about to hit the ground.

shellbelle
03-20-2013, 03:10 PM
LOL..yeah..the Iceblock...hilarious.

Defy
03-20-2013, 03:34 PM
well I'll have a better opinion once I see the terrain

also what about water? can you go in water and does oxygen run out?

darky89
03-20-2013, 04:35 PM
It would ruin the flow of the game. Anyone here played the PS3 launch title Motorstorm? It was fun, but you blew up really easily if you landed a bit dodgy - and it's just not fun having such stop / start gameplay. Especially traversing the environment. Taking a wrong turn up a mountain can be easily fixed by just jumping off it, instead of having to navigate safely all the way down.

In summery, it's a computer game, I don't mind unrealistic stuff like this, if on the whole, it makes the game more enjoyable.

This is of course all my opinion and not endorsed by Trion Worlds or any of their affiliates....... or Jesus.

Avexion
03-20-2013, 05:41 PM
It use to be a mage with skill would time the fall just right and hit teleport at just the right time as they hit the ground and take no damage at all, them had been the good old days in wow. The what if I lag just this much to much and end up falling anyway.

SweetFeet
03-20-2013, 05:53 PM
I dunno, I believe that Randy Pitchford really explained the lack of falling damage in borderlands 2 best...

Is it fun to take damage when you jump off a cliff? Nope, is it fun to leap from a 200ft cliff like a badass? Yep... We do whats fun...

Strikes me as the best way to put it, I would like to think that Trion are taking a similar stance on their game.

Easier for a single player game to rationalize.

shellbelle
03-20-2013, 06:44 PM
well I'll have a better opinion once I see the terrain

also what about water? can you go in water and does oxygen run out?

So far you can go in water and you cant dive under so the oxygen meter is nonexistent

Ambic
03-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Falling without damage is not realistic and lacks natural physics. Fall damage should definitely be added to the game.

Ctrain
03-20-2013, 09:09 PM
I allways found fall damage annoying anyway and I for one am glad it's been left out. Unless the ground drops epic loot it doesn't need to be able to damage you.

It use to be a mage with skill would time the fall just right and hit teleport at just the right time as they hit the ground and take no damage at all, them had been the good old days in wow. The what if I lag just this much to much and end up falling anyway.

Well you can do it that way but you guys get slowfall anyway so its doubly survivable. I got a parachute cloak for the hunter to help with it.

SweetFeet
03-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Falling without damage is not realistic and lacks natural physics. Fall damage should definitely be added to the game.

Yes in this world of hellacious bugs and alien space technology raining down on a war-torn, post apocalyptic terraformed San Francisco, the lack of fall damage is completely unrealistic.

Raidenz
03-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Its simple.

The entire world has changed in shape and size, causing less gravity.

less gravity = huge jumps - damage

Lore answer, I win.

lPATT
03-21-2013, 12:01 AM
Its simple.

The entire world has changed in shape and size, causing less gravity.

less gravity = huge jumps - damage

Lore answer, I win.

i will go with this too .... it pretty simple xD

kirix
03-21-2013, 05:18 AM
thank appature science and cave jhonson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX9Sc88qreg

boosted gear
03-21-2013, 05:30 AM
Epic jumps are fun, that Mountian in the Duskwood or near the Duskwood with slow fall in wow was one of the best jumps ever til they added flying, Or jumping off of Dalaran and then hitting the Iceblock ability just as your about to hit the ground.

Suspension, custom skin.. LUCKY... Nice Ride, you ever take it off any sweet jumps. :rolleyes:

MAXQSMART
03-21-2013, 05:31 AM
Because of some rough terrain, I'm glad there is no fall damage.

Pasha
03-21-2013, 05:31 AM
EGO implant takes care about gravitation and fall damage.

Cohcheez
03-21-2013, 06:41 AM
To make PVP annoying as everyone will jump off of buildings with no threat of death. It also promotes excessive jumping so expect this to become just like Halo.

awesome i love halo!

Tickturd
03-21-2013, 06:52 AM
Yes in this world of hellacious bugs and alien space technology raining down on a war-torn, post apocalyptic terraformed San Francisco, the lack of fall damage is completely unrealistic.

Thank you, I LMAO at that reply, perfect for the first thing to read as I just got to work in a nasty mood.

Antherage
03-21-2013, 07:10 AM
I would certainly think if not taking damage or dying that you are stunned as your Ego-increased body recovers from the shock-trauma.

Not stunned, but "staggered". You know, snared by 75% for a time.

But I would rather have people just take damage. I wouldn't mind meleeing someone off a cliff or having a blast propel them off one and then watching them fall to their death.

Hiero Glyph
03-21-2013, 08:53 AM
I would certainly think if not taking damage or dying that you are stunned as your Ego-increased body recovers from the shock-trauma.

Not stunned, but "staggered". You know, snared by 75% for a time.

But I would rather have people just take damage. I wouldn't mind meleeing someone off a cliff or having a blast propel them off one and then watching them fall to their death.

Yeah, there is a perk that increases damage against staggered, stunned, or knocked-back targets by 75%. If you were stunned or such when falling from a minimum height, I think that this recovery period would provide enough of a drawback as you could not simply hit the ground and immediately run away. For PvP this needs to happen, otherwise it will become a jumpy mess, particularly when latency is high.

Kantazo
03-21-2013, 08:58 AM

That is why we get EGO, those thingies make you super strong

Avexion
03-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Yeah slow fall helps but it is so SLOW I rather fall like a brick and then save my but in the end... And they patched it long ago so you can't Teleport rescue yourself any more its Iceblock or nothing. True you could hit Slowfall just before you hit the ground, but still I rather it the other way.

mitsuko
03-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Luckily there is no fall damage or else the mission where you turn on the radio towers would be unbeatable. Every time I would complete an objective I got launched hundreds of feet into the air lol.

KyoKunChan
03-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Luckily there is no fall damage or else the mission where you turn on the radio towers would be unbeatable. Every time I would complete an objective I got launched hundreds of feet into the air lol.

Thats funny lol

Kleptobrainiac
03-23-2013, 08:35 AM

Same here. Every tower - heh...

Coming back to the OP, I agree. I would prefer falling damage, snare/stun or something. Something resembling reality just a bit more.

Arsenic_Touch
03-23-2013, 08:41 AM
They need to add fall damage and a stamina gauge.

Jumping off the top of the cliff without any fall damage is just lame.
Running for hours on end without slowing down a bit is lame as well.

eeyore
03-23-2013, 06:07 PM
I'm fine with no fall damage. haha. Getting tired when running can make things a bit challenging. That's a good thing. I say, no fall damage, but put in slowing down when running. The slowing down doesn't have to happen fast, but just a gradual thing, over the course of a couple kilometers. :)

Cry
03-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Well, It's fairly obvious!

Aperture has started mass producing Long Fall Boots!

Rejoice!

It seems the devs have contracts with Aperture!