PDA

View Full Version : Defiance didn't sell to well

Eisberg
04-24-2013, 08:20 PM
http://www.flesheatingzipper.com/gaming/2013/04/defiance-mmo-not-faring-well-as-trion-worlds-unveils-low-gamer-turnout/

Sounds like this game didn't sell to well. According to that article, and in conjunction with VGChartz looks like this is the break down up to the ~ 2 week point

~240,000 sold on Xbox360
~ 70,000 sold on PS3
~ 690,000 sold on PC

Hopefully that is enough to keep the servers going, and that people are spending money in the Defiance store.

Myst
04-24-2013, 08:22 PM
From what I recall this doesn't take into account digital or does it?

Fatalmephisto
04-24-2013, 08:23 PM

i don't think so.

Also when you add all that up. Not bad for Defiance to be honest.

MattChicago
04-24-2013, 08:24 PM
They were talking about channel viewers mostly i think (series) wise. Like any game the more exposure and PR the better the game is, i would suggest making Youtube Videos tagging them and spreading it around.

damn a lot of PC Sales.... HA....

PS : they should include Digital Purchases not "Tangible" in store purchases.

Paladin Xenos
thats strange, i had to go to 3 different game stops when i went to go buy this game cause they were all sold out.

Arsenic_Touch

Nope. Those numbers never include digital sales. Looks like PC is the master race though.

JonDav
04-24-2013, 08:25 PM
They should have had enough sense to know that if their game wasn't up to par, stay the heck away from Bioshock Infinite. In the same amount of time, BI sold twice as much (when only counting ONE platform) then defiance sold on 3. Also, tc made a mistake with his PC numbers. That should be 69,000 rather than 690,000

Booshy
04-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Funny that us pc players are the huge bulk of the game sales but get the 2nd rate console UI and chat system. :rolleyes:

Eisberg
04-24-2013, 08:27 PM
i don't think so.

On VGChartz it shows about 90,000 for PC. So I do think that ~690,000 does include digital sales, with 600,000 being digital sales.

Lollie
04-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Funny that us pc players are the huge bulk of the game sales but get the 2nd rate console UI and chat system. :rolleyes:

Good point. They need to fix this fast.

Atticus Finch
04-24-2013, 08:29 PM
http://www.flesheatingzipper.com/gaming/2013/04/defiance-mmo-not-faring-well-as-trion-worlds-unveils-low-gamer-turnout/

Sounds like this game didn't sell to well. According to that article, and in conjunction with VGChartz looks like this is the break down up to the ~ 2 week point

~240,000 sold on Xbox360
~ 70,000 sold on PS3
~ 690,000 sold on PC

Hopefully that is enough to keep the servers going, and that people are spending money in the Defiance store.

The author sounds a bit inexperienced about what he's talking about. Any game will look like its struggling if you compare it to Halo 4's sales. Here's some raw data across the board for all games:

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41378/Global/

Eisberg
04-24-2013, 08:31 PM

Makes you wonder if they would have concentrated this as a PC exclusive game, if they extra money not spent on console royalties and what ever else they pay, could have gone to make a better PC MMO if they would have sold more games then they did currently. I don't play consoles, but isn't there like just 2 MMOs on the consoles which is Final Fantasy XI and XIV? Seems like MMOs are just not big business for consoles, where as they are for the PC.

darknessjw
04-24-2013, 08:32 PM
+ add on that Steam + digital.

PC number is superior and sadly game goes with console rules

GuruChaz
04-24-2013, 08:32 PM

Exactly. Programming for the PS3 is a pain in the butt and the 360 network system is outdated.

Remag Div
04-24-2013, 08:33 PM
to to to to to to to to

shadowkin
04-24-2013, 08:33 PM
that's actually not bad overall especially exluding digi sales

Myst
04-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Nope. Those numbers never include digital sales. Looks like PC is the master race though.

/shakes fist/

i don't think so.

Ah gotcha.

Tgreen
04-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Without digital sales what good does such a count of sales do?
This holds no information, no value at all.
There's no total and obviously comparing digital and disc sales isn't possible either.

Looks like PC is the master race though.

Hail PC!

Can we have actual keybinding and look speed options now?

Candlebox
04-24-2013, 08:59 PM
those pc sales are way off http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250891/weekly-sales-analysis-6-april-defiance/

53k pc sales is horrible for a major mmo launch.,

darknessjw
04-24-2013, 09:16 PM
those pc sales are way off http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250891/weekly-sales-analysis-6-april-defiance/

53k pc sales is horrible for a major mmo launch.,

Well, anyway.

PC gamers usually buy digital editions when possible. Defiance has been topping steam sales since it launched. And i bet steam sales are high always

DarkShadowMark
04-24-2013, 09:20 PM
~240,000 sold on Xbox360
~ 70,000 sold on PS3
~ 690,000 sold on PC

Boy, I wonder why the PS3 release has been ignored when it comes to the patch. :rolleyes:

RegularX
04-24-2013, 09:24 PM
The author sounds a bit inexperienced about what he's talking about. Any game will look like its struggling if you compare it to Halo 4's sales. Here's some raw data across the board for all games:

Those are pretty healthy, yeah. Especially considering the less than stellar reviews.

Can't find the link, but sounded like the launch was doing well on Amazon's charts too.

Anatol
04-24-2013, 09:24 PM
this numbers are great :D GW2 has sold 2,5 mil digital and box copies and that game is out much more longer then defiance and they still add more content and patches so YES this numbers are great after 3 weeks for this game. almost 1 mil after 2 weeks ..... devs can open wine:D

+ you can add cash from in game shop and seasson pass and you will have nice cash for them. So stop strolling you noob and try to learn something about game industry before you post some bul****s like this.

These numbers are gerat success. And you have just trollo topic name

knighttwin1
04-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Those numbers actually are pretty good considering it's a new IP and most reviews rated it fair 5/10.

DarkShadowMark
04-24-2013, 09:28 PM
this numbers are great :D GW2 has sold 2,5 mil digital and box copies and that game is out much more longer then defiance and they still add more content and patches so YES this numbers are great after 3 weeks for this game. almost 1 mil after 2 weeks ..... devs can open wine:D

+ you can add cash from in game shop and seasson pass and you will have nice cash for them. So stop strolling you noob and try to learn something about game industry before you post some bul****s like this.

These numbers are gerat success. And you have just trollo topic name

I can't be sure...
but...
I think he's speaking...
WORDS...

Bopbarker
04-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Who is Well?

Rizaun
04-24-2013, 09:32 PM
Who is Well?

I don't know but the game wasn't sold to him.

Valethar
04-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Trusting VGCharts to give accurate sales numbers is generally meaningless because they only take physical box sales into account.

Macbaby
04-24-2013, 09:35 PM
I don't know but the game wasn't sold to him.
nor hooked on phonics either ;) - however launch being the butch in the relationship got two copies

Bopbarker
04-24-2013, 09:37 PM
He might have received it as a gift.

Ensu
04-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Trusting VGCharts to give accurate sales numbers is generally meaningless because they only take physical box sales into account.

I think the last physical box I bought was when Oblivion was first released.

Candlebox
04-24-2013, 09:38 PM
war z was also a best seller, gota keep the players to stay successful, And its still a steaming pile of crap and is losing players. SWOTOR was a best seller to, now there down to what 8 servers, i think they had well over a hundred at there launch.

kyxsune
04-24-2013, 09:42 PM
So it had relatively good sales, but that only covers initial cost, anyone buying bits? No? I thought so.

RegularX
04-24-2013, 09:53 PM
war z was also a best seller, gota keep the players to stay successful, And its still a steaming pile of crap and is losing players. SWOTOR was a best seller to, now there down to what 8 servers, i think they had well over a hundred at there launch.

Wasn't War Z a commercial and critical flop?? It got pulled off Steam.

Era
04-24-2013, 10:06 PM
So it had relatively good sales, but that only covers initial cost, anyone buying bits? No? I thought so.

Fun fact about MMOs, most players don't buy real world currency items, period. Even free to play games which cost plenty to develop, advertise, and operate still manage to eek out an existence despite this. Add in that Trion has made loads of cash on copies of the game, their corporate sponsors that paid for in game advertising (Dodge, I'm sure more will come/already exist), and the free Syfy advertising which will also bring in more players.

Are these sales figures groundbreaking? No, but please keep in mind the numbers are freaking MASSIVE for a niche game. Trion doesn't have to compete with any other MMOTPSRPGs, buy to play or otherwise.

Also a lot of players hold off for bug fixes before diving in, which given that I've lost 2 nice bolters to the little gun chopshop of horrors I kinda understand.

Regrets
04-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Not surprising at all. Considering they marketed it as an MMO and only really baited a few console kiddies that got trolled because you don't play MMOs on a console.. LOL

The rest of the PC suckers believed them and we sure as **** didn't get an MMO. I was one of them.

..oh if I could get my $150 back..Show is awesome it's got at least 3 seasons before it's pulled from the air... They should be working up a contingency plan to remove San Fran from the scripts completely... won't be anyone there.

Nmalthus
04-24-2013, 10:13 PM
With digital being the in thing, physical copies of anything don't fare as well as they might have in the past. Steam hit enough pre-orders to give away Rift: Storm Legion expansion plus season pass discount.

Era
04-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Not surprising at all. Considering they marketed it as an MMO and only really baited a few console kiddies that got trolled because you don't play MMOs on a console.. LOL

The rest of the PC suckers believed them and we sure as f3uck didn't get an MMO. I was one of them.

..oh if I could get my $150 back..Show is awesome it's got at least 3 seasons before it's pulled from the air... They should be working up a contingency plan to remove San Fran from the scripts completely... won't be anyone there.

MMO-massively multiplayer online
Is Defiance massively multiplayer? Well it's multiplayer, it has a large persistent world filled with continents worth of users and the user base is decidedly large, so yes.
Is Defiance online? yes.

Maybe you meant MMORPG since MMO is often used as shorthand for just that given the dominance of RPGs in the market.

RPG-role-playing game
Does Defiance involve playing a role? Yes, you are even allowed to customize the silent protagonist before and during your adventures through the story campaign to better immerse yourself.
Is Defiance a game? Obviously yes.

Maybe you're just an idiot.

Griff
04-24-2013, 11:07 PM
Well, anyway.

PC gamers usually buy digital editions when possible. Defiance has been topping steam sales since it launched. And i bet steam sales are high always

im sure it has but that is because not many games get released this time of year. and AAA titles get holiday release. if this game came out oct-nov i dont think it would have even have sold half as many copies

WhiteCell
04-24-2013, 11:15 PM
vgchartz.com is entirely retail sales.

I don't know where the 600k+ number came from.

Here are the retail sales for Defiance on the PC and they are pathetic:

06th April 2013 1 53,551 N/A 53,551
13th April 2013 2 15,725 -70.6% 69,276

Defiance is a huge bomb. Those are terrible multiplatform numbers.

JonDav
04-24-2013, 11:24 PM

I'm pretty sure the author posted a typo. The 690k should have been 69k. Like I said before, they should not have released a half-finished product at the same time as a huge title like Bioshock Infinite. BI sales on just one platform (doesn't matter which one you pick) sold twice as much as Defiance on all three platforms combined. The people behind the game should have known better....

Griff
04-24-2013, 11:31 PM
not to mention that half the ppl who bought this game have already quit. i play on xbox first week had about 12 ppl on friends list playn. last week 5 ppl. tonight 2 ppl. this game is almost dead already.

B_Draco
04-24-2013, 11:34 PM

~240,000 sold on Xbox360
~ 70,000 sold on PS3
~ 690,000 sold on PC

Can you people learn the difference between 'too' and 'to' please... ? Idc if Defiance didn't sell well according to inaccurate articles, but get your spelling correct at least... As for people quitting outta Defiance, no MMO is perfect WHATSOEVER. You want a perfect MMO than make your own...

Giles
04-24-2013, 11:37 PM
Well, those total sale numbers being accurate and meaningful or not for just physical copies I fear they're going to be way off on at least PC and PS3. I personally bought my copy from the PS store, and I noticed that Defiance is on Steam. Steam being a MASSIVE outlet for digital downloads pretty much makes that PC sale number meaningless. I think I saw it on the top sellers at one point, though that usually only matters if it manages to stay on that list for a while.

Either way, i'm not worried. People do actually buy bits, and other optional paid items/boosts far more than you would think. There are Free to play MMORPGs that make far far more through their cash shops than a majority of the numerous subscription based ones. That's not me doing internet research, rather it's what i've been doing since I started internet-ing. MMOs I mean, not paying for everything I see. If I personally did have rich parents with limitless credit cards growing up, I would have a large saltwater swimming pool and possibly a house in the country for privacy, with said swimming pool. (And now I want to go swimming. :( )

So yeah again, not worried yet. :P

Candlebox
04-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Can you people learn the difference between 'too' and 'to' please... ? Idc if Defiance didn't sell well according to inaccurate articles, but get your spelling correct at least...

Are you the grammar police? Because we all know that spelling is the important part of the topic.

B_Draco
04-24-2013, 11:44 PM
Are you the grammar police? Because we all know that spelling is the important part of the topic.

Police? Hardly, I'm a forum lurker, and this lurker doesn't like dwelling around THAT obvious of SPELLING incorrections... Yes I know your doing sarcasm dearest...

thinice
04-24-2013, 11:49 PM

~240,000 sold on Xbox360
~ 70,000 sold on PS3
~ 690,000 sold on PC

sounds like to me it is doing just fine. They compared a known IP(Halo 4) to a brand spanking new one.

Candlebox
04-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Police? Hardly, I'm a forum lurker, and this lurker doesn't like dwelling around THAT obvious of SPELLING incorrections... Yes I know your doing sarcasm dearest...

It is a game forum, not school, stop being a self absorbed pretentious p****, that feels the need to correct peoples spelling. Or better yet dont read the forum if your fragile brain can not handle some misspelled words.

Escyos
04-24-2013, 11:53 PM
Why would you want to sell a game to a well?

"TOO"

darknessjw
04-24-2013, 11:55 PM
Wasn't War Z a commercial and critical flop?? It got pulled off Steam.

It is back on steam now. And now it seems that they really want to please their customers. Like adding fan demands and stuff like that

Ps.

I hate grammar polices, this is internet and not english school :)

thinice
04-24-2013, 11:56 PM

So those are sales AFTER the release? lol so they obviously had no preorder sales. Huge bomb....you are ridiculous. Over a million sales is a bomb.

Regrets
04-25-2013, 12:05 AM
Is Defiance massively multiplayer? Well it's multiplayer, it has a large persistent world filled with continents worth of users and the user base is decidedly large, so yes.
Is Defiance online? yes.

Maybe you meant MMORPG since MMO is often used as shorthand for just that given the dominance of RPGs in the market.

RPG-role-playing game
Does Defiance involve playing a role? Yes, you are even allowed to customize the silent protagonist before and during your adventures through the story campaign to better immerse yourself.

Yes I meant MMORPG... because everyone knows "MMO" means MMORPG.. The fact that you've defended this game in a completely ignorant context.. makes me happy that you question whether or not I'm an idiot.

Get back on your console kid.

Tgreen
04-25-2013, 12:09 AM
I hate grammar polices, this is internet and not english school :)

This is 'the internet'! 'The'! : P

WhiteCell
04-25-2013, 12:36 AM
So those are sales AFTER the release? lol so they obviously had no preorder sales. Huge bomb....you are ridiculous. Over a million sales is a bomb.

Are you literate?

Those are weekly sales. That includes launch.

I'll be expecting a poorly written LoL apology in the mail, Sir.

Kela
04-25-2013, 02:40 AM
Yes I meant MMORPG... because everyone knows "MMO" means MMORPG.. The fact that you've defended this game in a completely ignorant context.. makes me happy that you question whether or not I'm an idiot.

Really because there are more games that are massively multiplayer online games then just standard RPGs.

For example Planetside 2 is a MMOFPS, you have DCUO which is an MMOARPG, you have this game which was advertised as an MMOTPS, there are MMORTS games, and developers are looking at making many more game types into MMO games.

Cross
04-25-2013, 03:06 AM

You're, would have been the correct word. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Irony at its finest.

Defy
04-25-2013, 03:13 AM
do those stats include steam sales/digital sales?

Telemachus
04-25-2013, 03:24 AM
Many PC players knew about Trion from Rift ...

Thought that Trion, atleast knew something about mmo's, so it would be atleast as good or better.Had 5 years and some lessons learned.

Been feeling personally that I was wrong about that now. Apparently the not only one.

Orge Lambart
04-25-2013, 03:50 AM
I swear people are pretty dense when it comes to games, this game was rushed to market which explains about 99% of the bugs. Trion nailed Rift launch, why do you think this launch was the polar opposite of that.

It has to do with the game being rushed, it's a shame the developers can't come out and just say "Hey guys, we know you are angry about all the issues, we were forced to rush the games release to coincide with the television show. Just give us some time and we'll have things working the way they should be working"

The show came out 2 weeks prior to the television show, games of this size are typically pushed back 2 or 3 or even 4 times due to bugs, glitches and content issues. Was this game pushed back at all? The game plays second fiddle to the television show, so even if the game is messed up and not ready, the television show was going to go ahead as planned.

Since the show and game are tied into each other they needed to release it now as opposed to later. Thus we got a game that is filled with bugs, and generally not really ready to be a finished product. (finished in an MMO sense) Given time I can see the issues being worked out, being fixed and content getting added.

Although with that said, you never get a second chance to make a first impression, I'm sure the issues scared away a lot of gamers. Many of which will never come back to this game, it's such a shame because I'm sure in 2 or 3 months this game will really hit it's stride.

As for low sale figures, people have already said that list doesn't account for digital sales, which I'll go ahead and say probably added a few hundred thousand to the PC total.

Myria
04-25-2013, 04:13 AM
Out of curiosity, did anyone actually read the link in the OP?

Said link doesn't go into sales numbers, except in the hypothetical, it is primarily pointing out that Syfy and Trion Worlds, in a joint press release, stated "MORE THAN SIX MILLION GAMEPLAY HOURS WORLDWIDE" (their caps) and that while on its face that sounds somewhat impressive, in reality it really isn't.

Assuming 1 million copies sold, that's only six hours played per copy, which would be pretty dreadful for an online game.

Either they didn't sell that many copies, the people who bought those copies didn't play much at all, or both.

Assuming the "MORE THAN SIX MILLION GAMEPLAY HOURS" is reasonably close to accurate, and it may well not be, none of the available options you can reasonably derive from that is very good.

Anatol
04-25-2013, 04:37 AM
not to mention that half the ppl who bought this game have already quit. i play on xbox first week had about 12 ppl on friends list playn. last week 5 ppl. tonight 2 ppl. this game is almost dead already.

you cannot be serious :D yesterday there were Shadow wars on every map in game and every time I want to join I had to wait only several seconds to play .. to NO defiance has more people than before. after TV show started more and more people play this game

ocktos
04-25-2013, 04:46 AM
you cannot be serious :D yesterday there were Shadow wars on every map in game and every time I want to join I had to wait only several seconds to play .. to NO defiance has more people than before. after TV show started more and more people play this game

i agree with that there used to be dead zones in areas, now most vendor hotspots have 15-30+ guys sitting around them at least on xbox

Neogeo
04-25-2013, 04:52 AM
I swear people are pretty dense when it comes to games, this game was rushed to market which explains about 99% of the bugs. Trion nailed Rift launch, why do you think this launch was the polar opposite of that.

Not really, Rift had a even smaller map at launch, it's not exactly know for rich in contents. Why did you think people leave in dose? As for digital sales, I just wanna point out, Defiance was already out of top 10 sales on Steam, while the equally criticism Bioshock Inifnite is still in the top 5. Personally, I think Trion should get rid of that start small, patched to full attitude when making MMO.

Agonist
04-25-2013, 05:06 AM

~240,000 sold on Xbox360
~ 70,000 sold on PS3
~ 690,000 sold on PC

Statistics mean nothing to the individual. Long story short ... Doesn't matter, having fun.

Eisberg
04-25-2013, 05:09 AM

oh the irony in this post. Hey bud, if you are going to blast me for not proof reading an informal internet posting, perhaps you should take the time to actually proof read your posts as well. :rolleyes:

RegularX
04-25-2013, 05:11 AM
Statistics mean nothing to the individual. Long story short ... Doesn't matter, having fun.

Don't care, having fun .... good answer to about 100% of the complaint threads on this forum.

Eisberg
04-25-2013, 05:12 AM
do those stats include steam sales/digital sales?

On VGChartz no, but in the article yes. Million sales, with the known numbers from VGChartz, that would leave about 600,000 copies being sold that are not showing up on VGchartz, which follow physical copies.

Untamed Gunner
04-25-2013, 05:19 AM

The rest of the PC suckers believed them and we sure as **** didn't get an MMO. I was one of them.

it is an mmo true and through my friend meeting towns tool works ,rebel camp,pve ,pvp,dungeons,huge dynamic events ,large scale pvp battles social chat bro what is missing ow you dont just click wait click wait i have a power house pc just for mmo and i play a lot htis is an mmo and tell me because no one can answer this WHAT GREAT DIVERSITY DOES WOW,GW2 EQ,LOTR,ECT ALL GLORIFIED FETCH QUEST NO RUNNING AND GUNNING FLANK THEM DRIVE OVER THEM SNIPE THEM OUT SOUNDS WAY BETTER THAN CLICK WAIT CLICK

Buu
04-25-2013, 05:28 AM
On VGChartz no, but in the article yes. Million sales, with the known numbers from VGChartz, that would leave about 600,000 copies being sold that are not showing up on VGchartz, which follow physical copies.

Ohhhh.... That makes sense. Only 50K units sold in US doesn't make sense at all.

Paul Martin
04-25-2013, 05:32 AM
O dear and I've just spent another 55 so I can play Defiance on my laptop as well as my xbox. :p

Ramano
04-25-2013, 05:35 AM

~240,000 sold on Xbox360
~ 70,000 sold on PS3
~ 690,000 sold on PC

Really, your taking information from a site called Flesheatingzipper.com? Seriously?! The name of that site alone should raise enough questions about its authenticity that only an idiot would take them at their word. You'd think by now people would figure out not everything put on the internet is true.

mcwjimbo
04-25-2013, 07:23 AM

~240,000 sold on Xbox360
~ 70,000 sold on PS3
~ 690,000 sold on PC

1 million total sold

GW2 did 3 million at launch supposedly. & I dislike GW2 = boring. Defiance though buggy as hell and other issues was far more entertaining / interesting fighting & story for me than Gw2

cfStatic
04-25-2013, 07:26 AM
It's nice to see that PC has such a strong base. Sucks we got that crappy *** console UI.

Reverend Blood
04-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Yea, not a single Gamestop in my city had a copy, the two targets and three walmarts closest to me were sold out, and the nearest Best Buy had ONE copy.

Rek Vio
04-25-2013, 07:38 AM
I could care less about the sales numbers, it doesn't effect me, its more a financial issue for the publisher. I am still playing and enjoying myself. This game is clearly not for everyone, if anything you could interpret that from the sales numbers. You also have to take in effect that the game is still selling copies so this thread would make sense if the game stopped sales but it hasn't so... Good day!

DeMoted
04-25-2013, 07:55 AM
thats strange, i had to go to 3 different game stops when i went to go buy this game cause they were all sold out.

That is why I don't play game for PC that are on console. Very good thing to live by it has worked to my benefit.

Vuule
04-25-2013, 07:55 AM

I had to search the entire interwebs for a dutch retailer selling Defiance.. Pre-launch that is.

Ciannon
04-25-2013, 07:59 AM

BlackOps2 sold 22 million copies on consoles? I highly doubt that.

jasper murtagh
04-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Yes I meant MMORPG... because everyone knows "MMO" means MMORPG.. The fact ...I'm an idiot.

Not a kid, but I didn't know MMO was ALWAYS shorthand MMORPG. Hint, just because you are deep into a hobby, does not mean the rest of us causal players are. So no shorthand unless you totally know your audience. Or say what you mean, I can't read your thoughts.

Jack The Bear
04-25-2013, 08:27 AM
Fun fact about MMOs, most players don't buy real world currency items, period.

I gotta disagree, Even in WoW and DeFi i see tons of people using items from real-world currency buy-in's. Sure maybe not the majority but a ton do none-the-less. Mostly worse in WoW, when they release silly mounts for 15$ and every eats it up like its the greatest thing to ever happen to the world of warcraft. DeFi will go that route, i see tons wearing the, what, 12$ outfits? Pretty expiensive for a silly cosmetic.. But to each they're own! :]

Ciannon
04-25-2013, 08:29 AM
Not a kid, but I didn't know MMO was ALWAYS shorthand MMORPG. Hint, just because you are deep into a hobby, does not mean the rest of us causal players are. So no shorthand unless you totally know your audience. Or say what you mean, I can't read your thoughts.

MMO does not always mean MMORPG, so you are right. Don't let that kid ruin your day, sir.

bobinsen
04-25-2013, 08:33 AM
so it sold most on the pc and its a console port with a broken chat system lol.
if those figures are true then all the poeple saying console sales will keep the game alive are talking ****.

Meya
04-25-2013, 08:41 AM
Is Defiance online? yes.

RPG-role-playing game

This game is not multiplayer as it keeps you from playing with a friend by making them disappear on the map. At best it's single player with other wierdos running around you. Sometimes.

Gohlar
04-25-2013, 08:42 AM
MMO does not always mean MMORPG, so you are right. Don't let that kid ruin your day, sir.

Yeah but one of those Ms stands for multiplayer and the group content in Defiance is lacking to say the least.

Lowlif3r
04-25-2013, 08:46 AM
It all depends on the criteria for success.

If you aim for 100.000 sales and get 500.000 ... you're rocking. If you aim for 10.000.000 and get 2.000.000 you're shtakoing it.

hardy83
04-25-2013, 08:53 AM
A million copies in it's first 2 weeks isn't bad at all.

The question is if people will stick around, or if more sales can be had.

I think the PC version will be fine, but the PS3 version I can see getting the "skyrim" treatment and people just giving up on it, same with the 360 version.

The BIGGEST question is if they will port the game to the new consoles. Since I imagine they want this game to last more than a year, being available at launch for the new systems would probably boost sales pretty well on top of keeping the game alive.

Old97
04-25-2013, 08:54 AM
First of all, Black Ops2 has indeed sold more than 22 million copies for consoles...it was a huge blockbuster game.

Xbox currently is out-selling the PC and PS3 combined.

The sales for PC was about 69K, as others have stated. I believe those are boxed units, so the digital downloads are anyone's guess.

The game sales are Ok for a new IP. However, PC sales are likely to flag badly if Trion can't control the client-side hacking that is getting excessive. They need to move the saved data to the Trion servers, IMO.

I am enjoying the game so far, but Destiny from Bungie is on the way...

Fiancee
04-25-2013, 08:55 AM
lol, flesheatingzipper.com?

btw, 1 mill doesnt mean it bombs, you guys need to forget most of the money goes to publisher, what Trion World does not have.

Tgreen
04-25-2013, 09:10 AM

Defiance is pretty much the first attempt at an MMO that's not also a RPG above anything else.

I myself this alone (with no subscribtion) is reason enough to cut them a bit of slack and give them 2 months or so to get their shtako together.

Cynical Jester
04-25-2013, 09:13 AM

btw, 1 mill doesnt mean it bombs, you guys need to forget most of the money goes to publisher, what Trion World does not have.

I'm glad you cleared this up for me.. I guess I could have just googled it, but I was talking in a post one day and was going to say the Publishers are different than the Devs or game studio. Then I thought about it.. I was like.. wait.. am I wrong.. as this doesn't seem to be the case for Trion at least... so Kudos to them.

Stick it to the man and keep up the awesome job!

Cynical Jester
04-25-2013, 09:16 AM

^this.. I was about to say the same thing just had to go back a few quotes first to verify.. but yea.. MMO means Massively Multiplayer Online ... Nothing more, nothing less. I've said it once but I'll say it again.

Their is no standard that comes with the title "MMO" other than the self-deluded ones people give themselves!

Jthreau
04-25-2013, 09:28 AM
I'm not too worried about those figures. There are always people around for Arkfalls and such on the PS3 server, but there have been times where I would have liked someone else to be present during a story mission.

MacDeath
04-25-2013, 09:35 AM

It depends on where in the world one lives. Trion IS the publisher in the US. They go thru someone else for Europe and Australia/NZ.

Menace4NRK
04-25-2013, 09:36 AM

I bought digital. Usually these charts don't take in account digiatal sales, I could be wrong though.

Arimer
04-25-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm pretty sure the author posted a typo. The 690k should have been 69k. Like I said before, they should not have released a half-finished product at the same time as a huge title like Bioshock Infinite. BI sales on just one platform (doesn't matter which one you pick) sold twice as much as Defiance on all three platforms combined. The people behind the game should have known better....

You're comparing a new IP's sales to a sequel to one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time? Of course Bioshock Infinite sold more. People had been waiting on it for years. Throw in the Hype machine and the megamarketing push and its a no brainer.

Gohlar
04-25-2013, 09:38 AM
^this.. I was about to say the same thing just had to go back a few quotes first to verify.. but yea.. MMO means Massively Multiplayer Online ... Nothing more, nothing less. I've said it once but I'll say it again.

Their is no standard that comes with the title "MMO" other than the self-deluded ones people give themselves!

Too bad Defiance fails on the massively multiplayer front. Arkfalls? Please...

Why bother making an mmo where nobody talks or has to use teamwork? These obtuse "it's not that kind of game" arguments are very short sighted.

Ciannon
04-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Too bad Defiance fails on the massively multiplayer front. Arkfalls? Please...

Why bother making an mmo where nobody talks or has to use teamwork? These obtuse "it's not that kind of game" arguments are very short sighted.

You are mistaking "What is" for "What is intended" as well as how people use their resources. Just because people aren't communicating, doens't mean they can't. I play with several guildies through Team Speak, so just because you can't hear me yelling at my girlfriend, doesn't mean other's cant.

Gohlar
04-25-2013, 09:46 AM
You are mistaking "What is" for "What is intended" as well as how people use their resources. Just because people aren't communicating, doens't mean they can't. I play with several guildies through Team Speak, so just because you can't hear me yelling at my girlfriend, doesn't mean other's cant.

I meant there is nothing to do for guilds other than Arkfalls. The overall difficulty of the game is also so low that communication isn't ever necessary. Such a shallow experience is a dissapointment.

Obviously people can talk to each other through 3rd party programs...

Aliena
04-25-2013, 09:47 AM

/what he said

Cynical Jester
04-25-2013, 09:52 AM
I meant there is nothing to do for guilds other than Arkfalls. The overall difficulty of the game is also so low that communication isn't ever necessary. Such a shallow experience is a dissapointment.

Obviously people can talk to each other through 3rd party programs...

According to you.. some people complain the things are to hard!.. You also have co-op missions and emergencies. You can show up at the same time to a time trial and have a race.. Just don't pay attention to the timer for when to start.. it should be based off who gets to the end first.. etc.. Their is lots of things to do your just a negative nancy...

Also.. I'm sorry people in game are choosing not to talk.. that's not a problem with the game.. What.. you want them to hold everyone at gun point and say TALK TO ****ING GOHLAR NOW OR WE KEEELZ YOU... Granted the the chat box needs improvement but that is a different topic and has already been addressed by them. They just need to do it.

Cynical Jester
04-25-2013, 09:53 AM

Sadly, I agree.

I honestly think for whatever reason a lot of people have switched over to PC Gaming. It could be that we are in the wait period between next gens or just that it was PCs time to shine again..... Where a few years ago this game may have seen more sales on console.. I don't think that is the case anymore or in the years to come(the new few anyway).

thinice
04-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Are you literate?

Those are weekly sales. That includes launch.

I'll be expecting a poorly written LoL apology in the mail, Sir.

I am because I actually READ the OP's link that said a million sales. So...are YOU literate?

Krapoton
04-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Well, no pass online for Defiance, so it's probably full of pirates on consoles, specially on Xbox 360 aka the-hack-fest console.

thinice
04-25-2013, 12:44 PM

Also doing some rough math with your sale numbers for pc and add them with the OP's sales for ps3 and xbox in order to reach 6million hours of play time everyone that bought the game would've had to play the game all week with pretty much no sleep. Since there are only 168 hours possible in a week. Your source is crap.

Oceanhawk
04-25-2013, 12:46 PM
where are all the console kiddies that claim console sales make up the bulk of game sales?

mcwjimbo
04-25-2013, 01:56 PM
where are all the console kiddies that claim console sales make up the bulk of game sales?

^ THIS!

if these #s are real and if they don't cover digital downloads then PC #s would be even larger. As is if #s are real then PC outnumbers console's by 2x

Was reading other threads with SOME console players even saying cut the PC version and focus on consoles. LOL Uhm that would be cutting off the larger profit maker

Maybe Trion should focus on making the game more PC friendly at least

Also, in hindsight the PC outnumbering consolers doesn't seem far fetched since RIFT (PC MMO) players would have looked into getting defiance because same company. in hindsight trion messed up in not assuming more PC players and gearing the game more console player base

RoyalGuard
04-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Imma Console baby!!! Lolz

I think Trion has no choice but to focus more on Console platforms cuz if you dont then you should go Console at all...

PS3 has even admitted that its platform is a pain to create these types of games with, and Xbox360 we all know is outdated. Trion was forced to spend most of its resources on consoles soloy cuz of this.. I think as the game grows up (hoping it does) things will change. And (figures crossed) if it starts 2 become bigger as time goes on I think the best thing thats gonna happen for Defiance is the PS4.

Chaz0r
04-25-2013, 02:11 PM
The digital version are missing. On EU Steam, Origin and mostly all the major Keysellers have Defiance in their list of top selling games since release.

So I think on the PC there is a really huge amount of digital copies missing on the list.

hardy83
04-25-2013, 02:13 PM
To be fair, I'm surprised the PC version even sold 50k retail copies. I assumed PC games were all digital by now save for Blizzard games lol.

Darth Sully
04-25-2013, 02:16 PM
I feel this game will grow and keep getting new people. I have about 30 friends that have not even heard about this game. Also the lack of sales may be what they want to test server capacity cause if this game had a release like Halo or something it probably would be to much for them to handle at one time cause they are constantly fixing bugs and issues. I am very impressed with the dedication of Trion so far on their communication and fixes. Great game but I think we will see this game really grow 6 months from now.

Eisberg
04-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Can you people learn the difference between 'too' and 'to' please... ? Idc if Defiance didn't sell well according to inaccurate articles, but get your spelling correct at least... As for people quitting outta Defiance, no MMO is perfect WHATSOEVER. You want a perfect MMO than make your own...

Don't you think you owe me an apology? :cool:

zablnc
04-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Sorry to say, This game should have been PC only

mid9sun
04-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Sorry to say, This game should have been PC only

Agree. But they have to cater to non PC gamers who watch the show.

Frantic Poet
04-25-2013, 10:49 PM
It's amazing how VGChartz has managed to, 'legitimize its image.'
That's a euphemism for, 'dupe rubes.'

Those numbers are a fairy tail that will be 'adjusted' as real numbers show up.

WhiteCell
04-25-2013, 10:57 PM
It's amazing how VGChartz has managed to, 'legitimize its image.'
That's a euphemism for, 'dupe rubes.'

Those numbers are a fairy tail that will be 'adjusted' as real numbers show up.

What are other analysts saying?

vgcharts numbers are believable to me. If they end up not being close I'd be shocked right out of my pants.

Reeco Suave
04-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Useless source

Steam does not release or give information on the amount of sold copies... ever.

Cannibal Jesse
04-25-2013, 10:59 PM
This past month I've been up and down I-5, through Salem,OR to Seattle. I have a tendency to stop into gaming stores, and out of the Gamestops I visited all stores in both states were in very low stock of Defiance. Claiming high sales and impressive pre-orders, honestly for what Defiance had to work with right off the bat I'd say sales aren't too bad.

Reeco Suave
04-25-2013, 11:02 PM
This past month I've been up and down I-5, through Salem,OR to Seattle. I have a tendency to stop into gaming stores, and out of the Gamestops I visited all stores in both states were in very low stock of Defiance. Claiming high sales and impressive pre-orders, honestly for what Defiance had to work with right off the bat I'd say sales aren't too bad.

Neither Trion or Steam has or will release information on sold digital copies from their online stores, so any "information" on the number of sold copies should be taken with a grain of salt

Cannibal Jesse
04-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Fair enough, just from what I saw personally and with my friends who work at different retailers told me I'd say Defiance is at least trending in pacific NW. You're right though, without the information on digital copy sales we can only speculate.

UKresistance
04-25-2013, 11:42 PM
The PC sales should be 69K, not 690K.
They should have skipped a PC/PS3 port and concentrated on a bug free 360 version.

Eisberg
04-26-2013, 04:48 AM
The PC sales should be 69K, not 690K.
They should have skipped a PC/PS3 port and concentrated on a bug free 360 version.

lol, VGChartz only shows physical sales. Guaranteed the PC version outsold both console versions put together when you add in digital sales.

If anything they should have made it a PC exclusive, and the money saved on making, marketing, and what ever else they have to pay to Microsoft/Sony, could have been spent on making an even better for the PC and would have more then likely sold more then it already did with it being multi platform. Also wouldn't doubt this game will die on those consoles when the next gen consoles come out.

Dmec
04-26-2013, 04:50 AM
And you have to keep in mind that steam doesn't release sales figures.

Eisberg
04-26-2013, 04:54 AM
And you have to keep in mind that steam doesn't release sales figures.

Well they do release that information to the developers/publishers of the game, and then the the developers/publishers can release that information if they want to.

Dreildrag
04-26-2013, 05:07 AM

~240,000 sold on Xbox360
~ 70,000 sold on PS3
~ 690,000 sold on PC

LOL, the majority got the shaft...

Bad UI
No really custom graphics setting
Chat fubared
Everything else already said...

Cistzelos
04-26-2013, 05:44 AM
it is an mmo true and through my friend meeting towns tool works ,rebel camp,pve ,pvp,dungeons,huge dynamic events ,large scale pvp battles social chat bro what is missing ow you dont just click wait click wait i have a power house pc just for mmo and i play a lot htis is an mmo and tell me because no one can answer this WHAT GREAT DIVERSITY DOES WOW,GW2 EQ,LOTR,ECT ALL GLORIFIED FETCH QUEST NO RUNNING AND GUNNING FLANK THEM DRIVE OVER THEM SNIPE THEM OUT SOUNDS WAY BETTER THAN CLICK WAIT CLICK

Well you can't speak English very well but you have a point. The third party shooter aspect of this MMO makes it more fun than MMOs that just involve running up to mobs and clicking abilities on a hot bar until they die.

Covington
04-26-2013, 05:49 AM

Same problem in St Louis too, we only had one copy for the first two weeks since everyone was sold out and had to wait.

Thunderclap
04-26-2013, 06:01 AM

~240,000 sold on Xbox360
~ 70,000 sold on PS3
~ 690,000 sold on PC

So, PC sold the most yet we got the damn UI for a console. Sounds like someone needs to serious get fired and then we need to get the real UI in and when the consoles cry tell them, 'look together you didn't sell as half as much as the PC. We need to go where the base is."
SMH

Gohlar
04-26-2013, 06:04 AM
According to you.. some people complain the things are to hard!.. You also have co-op missions and emergencies. You can show up at the same time to a time trial and have a race.. Just don't pay attention to the timer for when to start.. it should be based off who gets to the end first.. etc.. Their is lots of things to do your just a negative nancy...

Also.. I'm sorry people in game are choosing not to talk.. that's not a problem with the game.. What.. you want them to hold everyone at gun point and say TALK TO ****ING GOHLAR NOW OR WE KEEELZ YOU... Granted the the chat box needs improvement but that is a different topic and has already been addressed by them. They just need to do it.

It's funny how people who want to defend the game have so little to work with they are starting to lose their minds lol. I could explain the point that you completely missed again, but I suspect you are being intentionally stupid to avoid talking about it. At least I hope you are...

Defiance was designed for the lowest common denominator. I'm glad you like it.

Thunderclap
04-26-2013, 06:05 AM
lol, VGChartz only shows physical sales. Guaranteed the PC version outsold both console versions put together when you add in digital sales.

If anything they should have made it a PC exclusive, and the money saved on making, marketing, and what ever else they have to pay to Microsoft/Sony, could have been spent on making an even better for the PC and would have more then likely sold more then it already did with it being multi platform. Also wouldn't doubt this game will die on those consoles when the next gen consoles come out.

By looking at the game they expected PS3 and Xbox360 to outsell PC by 2 to 1. So someone got a suckers bet.

Schwa
04-26-2013, 06:12 AM
I'm sure you all realize if the game had exceeded expectations in any way there would've been a press release, yes? Even Age of Conan was bragging about moving 1 million boxes.

r3dl4nce
04-26-2013, 06:31 AM
Yeah but one of those Ms stands for multiplayer and the group content in Defiance is lacking to say the least.
7 coop instances
2 (3) pvp BGs
Shadow War for open PvP
Arkfalls

Yeah, lacking for a game released less than a month ago... LOL!

The question is if people will stick around, or if more sales can be had.It's a B2P game. There is not monthly fee, when people buy the box/game code, it's ok. Then people can stop playing when they want and they will come back buying the DLCs/expansions, for curiosity and to test new content. And Trion gets money...

The sales for PC was about 69K, as others have stated. I believe those are boxed units, so the digital downloads are anyone's guess.Game is on Steam, game is sold at great discounts on g2play, gmg, and so on. If they sold 69K retail boxes, there have been at least ten times that numbers in digital downloads, so 600K+ totals on PC.

Gohlar
04-26-2013, 06:34 AM
7 coop instances
2 (3) pvp BGs
Shadow War for open PvP
Arkfalls

PvP is not worth playing on PC as it's ruined by hacking. There are also so many shooters that are better for competitive games.

The co-op maps are well designed but they are so easy they are simply trivial. They also have a 4 player limit. A hard mode option would help here a lot.

What do you do with a guild? Arkfalls are a joke. I thought this was an mmo? Where are the mmo fights? You know, challenges to do with a large group of people. These damage sponge Arkfalls are hard to stay awake through.

Yeah, it's lacking. If you are new to co-op gaming I suppose you could think it's ok but I think it's time to remove your head from the sand when it comes to ignoring some very big problems with the game.

Notice how you felt compelled to throw in an excuse at the end with saying that a recent release justifies a lack of content? Yeah. Good games don't need excuses.

IMRavnos
04-26-2013, 08:09 AM
They should have had enough sense to know that if their game wasn't up to par, stay the heck away from Bioshock Infinite. In the same amount of time, BI sold twice as much (when only counting ONE platform) then defiance sold on 3. Also, tc made a mistake with his PC numbers. That should be 69,000 rather than 690,000

Is this a serious post?

Let's see a new online only franchise that is a TV show tie in VS A highly hyped sequel to what many people believe is the best game this generation. yeah, I'm sure many are shocked.

As to the low PS3 numbers, most people bought digital so they could game share it and play it online without bending over and taking it with XBOX LIVE Gold.

I own a PC, 360 and 2 PS3's. I digital downloaded for PS3 because I wanted to play it with my Son and it would have cost twice as much to do so on PC and we don't have XBL Gold, since the 360 is pretty much a dead system with nothing worth buying exclusive to it for going on 2 years now.

PC version is superior in every way however I did not want to spend $120 on a mediocre game.

Ninno20
04-26-2013, 08:20 AM
I had to wait a week because it was sold out everywhere i went to, So i doubt the sales were that bad, they must have hit there target to have sold out. + revenue from the series they can't be doing that bad.

Bushmaster2000
04-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Defiance hasn't broken into the Major Nelson published list of top played xbox live games, not even launch week. So i'm not surprised.

Tribeca76
04-26-2013, 08:59 AM
oops deleted

TheNeoReaper
04-26-2013, 09:00 AM
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70007/defiance/Global/

iEatCookies
04-26-2013, 09:05 AM
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70007/defiance/Global/

If you read the site, those are the 360 only totals. *facepalm*

iEatCookies
04-26-2013, 09:07 AM
360: 237,771
PS3: 88,150
PC: 69,276 <--based off that website. Guessing this number doesn't include DD at all. Most people prefer it. Probably a mix of that and a bad report.

GeneralTechnique
04-26-2013, 09:13 AM
360: 237,771
PS3: 88,150
PC: 69,276 <--based off that website. Guessing this number doesn't include DD at all. Most people prefer it. Probably a mix of that and a bad report.

What does "69k" look like if you mistakenly add/read/write a 0 after the 9?
Welcome to the internet.... where everything is true, until it's proven false :)

Lord GraveRedMage
04-26-2013, 09:15 AM
The Cake is a lie!!!!! and so are these price thingy mabobers :D <.< where's the gramar police >.> i hear they has cookies....

Jym
04-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Well, no pass online for Defiance, so it's probably full of pirates on consoles, specially on Xbox 360 aka the-hack-fest console.

It's not nearly as bad as you make it sound. The majority of console game sames are from casual gamers who don't care to mod their console, don't know they can mod their console, and/or aren't tech savvy enough to even consider modding their console to play pirated games. It's really too much of a hassle constantly having to keep up with firmware updates to prevent getting banned by going online. The ones who sent their 360's somewhere to get modded would be eating too many shipping/install costs for mod updates.

PC, on the other hand, is far more convenient to pirate games on. No need to make hardware changes to play pirated games, and cheating tools are more easily obtainable and usable.

Valkyriaedge
04-26-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm going to ask why are you all using VGchartz for sales when sometimes they make up numbers should just wait for NPD sales charts