PDA

View Full Version : Trion Shows Us How To Kill A Game In Three Easy Steps

mattc
04-26-2013, 07:12 PM
1) Make players compete for extremely limited resources by forcing 'credit only by participation' on individual kills for pursuits and side missions - for instance, the blastopod pursuit at Diablo is now a long and frustrating chore.

2) Reward hacking by putting basic game data on the game's client-side, then don't listen to players' complaints and fail to enforce bans on hackers, cheaters, exploiters.

3) Allow grief play by building fail exploits into important game goals, and encourage grief play by designing the game with no player complaint system - for instance, one or two players can block completion of entire hellbug arkfalls (and thus keycode rewards) by simply using a vehicle to kill spawns, blocking ammo drops and arkfall damage.

Get it together, Trion. How much longer will Syfy back your failures?

fang1192
04-26-2013, 07:26 PM
You do realize you can still shoot the crystal to damage it right? It takes longer but it can get done.

Dave Blackwell
04-26-2013, 07:38 PM
What I say to this thread is, design a "better" game yourself mattc - Oh yeah...

An arkfall is an arkfall, chill out, kick back and don't take it to heart. Why get annoyed over something so trivial? In the large scale of things it doesn't even matter in the slightest. Secondly, I highly doubt that they're not acknowledging what is being said about exploitation within the game, they do not have to literally spoon feed every single issue to us. Hackers will get bored eventually, as per usual when it comes to them until they move onto another game. As for the credit only by participation, surely you can see the reasoning behind this being the way it is?

When is there ever a day when there isn't something that's being complained about in some shape or form? Ah, but they never disappear these threads do they? I'm not sure about the rest of you but I'm sensing a bit of hypocrisy and contradictions with each passing day.

Jeff Kaos
04-26-2013, 07:41 PM
You do realize you can still shoot the crystal to damage it right? It takes longer but it can get done.

It actually takes about the same amount of time. The bite on the crystal doesn't last long enough to make a substantial difference. I'm also an advocate of just ignoring all the pursuits and contracts. All the frustration people are having trying to do these doesn't make sense considering the rewards basically amount to useless outfits and titles no one can see anyway. Or a different colored vehicle. If you're going to go after these often bugged goals then that's your business, just stop complaining about it when others don't share this obsession.

Eisberg
04-26-2013, 07:42 PM
1) Make players compete for extremely limited resources by forcing 'credit only by participation' on individual kills for pursuits and side missions - for instance, the blastopod pursuit at Diablo is now a long and frustrating chore.

2) Reward hacking by putting basic game data on the game's client-side, then don't listen to players' complaints and fail to enforce bans on hackers, cheaters, exploiters.

3) Allow grief play by building fail exploits into important game goals, and encourage grief play by designing the game with no player complaint system - for instance, one or two players can block completion of entire hellbug arkfalls (and thus keycode rewards) by simply using a vehicle to kill spawns, blocking ammo drops and arkfall damage.

http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/04/27/serious-improvements-serious-business/

fang1192
04-26-2013, 07:46 PM
It actually takes about the same amount of time. The bite on the crystal doesn't last long enough to make a substantial difference. I'm also an advocate of just ignoring all the pursuits and contracts. All the frustration people are having trying to do these doesn't make sense considering the rewards basically amount to useless outfits and titles no one can see anyway. Or a different colored vehicle. If you're going to go after these often bugged goals then that's your business, just stop complaining about it when others don't share this obsession.

I guess if you count the up time of the weakpoingt vs. the crystal i can see that.

RegularX
04-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Moderately valid points.

Not game killers.

Well, not 1 & 3. Those are annoying. Certainly not game killers. But hackers might prove lethal to at least the PC side of the fence.

Bored Peon
04-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Oh look another anti-defiance topic......

You knwo if you found one of the other dozens of threads and discussed it in that thread, it could actually get to be large enough for someome important to bother taking notice.

Spencley
04-26-2013, 07:56 PM
How about -

Promise the player base regular content updates to coincide with the TV Show. Then fail to keep at it and add 3 lousy pursuits as "big content that we should look forward to" Combined with lack of bug fixing holding players progress, Constant loss of Skill levels...Purchasing Lock boxes using rare keycodes which take ages to farm to then get nothing at all or random trash to sell, Still the game is plagued with hackers and riddled with bugs/exploits

The damage has been done, A huge chunk of the player base has ditched the game... They need to think of something and implement it quick and then explain why they have failed to incorporate the most basic of MMO aspects.

Ninno20
04-26-2013, 08:07 PM
You do know the diablo mission if you attack each pod once, they will all count to your contract, i just stood in the middle of the lake, hit each one and got like all 7....

You do know this right.... ah course you don't your to busy here complaining rather then trying different ways. -my soul weeps for you-

Dave Blackwell
04-26-2013, 08:09 PM
How about - Promise the player base regular content updates to coincide with the TV Show. Then fail to keep at it and add 3 lousy pursuits as "big content that we should look forward to" Combined with lack of bug fixing holding players progress

You're aware if they just threw the new content at us on the day that they had stated, until they decided to let the bug fixes and patches take priority over it, that the game would be full of more unanticipated bugs and issues than of which already exists on the base game? The reason they pushed the new content back a few weeks is for that exact reason, to reduce to possibility of increasing the chances of more issues.

You probably won't understand this, but I'll attempt to explain it: The more problems, the longer the servers are down in order for them to fix. Fix the already existing bugs, then there isn't as much of a heavy workload as opposed to just throwing it all out there. Hence why what has happened did.

Still the game is plagued with hackers and riddled with bugs/exploits

Which game isn't? Hackers do it for fun, some do it for a egostical boost. Who cares? Don't take games seriously and you'll just brush it off your shoulders and continue to enjoy yourself. That's where the problem arises, those who believe that games should be played one way and one way only; that persons own personal way. Then get upset when something doesn't go their way, go with the grain - not against it.

A huge chunk of the player base has ditched the game...

I think official numbers would be required in order for this claim to be justly backed up.

mattc
04-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Dave - troll, not worth answering.
Fang and Jeff- vehicle kills don't drop ammo, so just powering through isn't usually possible when griefers/exploiters are around.
Peon - troll, nwa.
Eisberg - thanks for the link, but you DID notice it doesn't really address fixes for any of my points?
Spencley - you are, unfortunately, correct. Wonder if ratings for Defiance The Show is gonna take a hit from all this?

RegularX
04-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Fang and Jeff- vehicle kills don't drop ammo, so just powering through isn't usually possible when griefers/exploiters are around.
Peon - troll, nwa.
Eisberg - thanks for the link, but you DID notice it doesn't really address fixes for any of my points?
Spencley - you are, unfortunately, correct. Wonder if ratings for Defiance The Show is gonna take a hit from all this?

I've never felt more left out in my entire last 15 minutes.

Ninno20
04-26-2013, 08:13 PM
You do know the diablo mission if you attack each pod once, they will all count to your contract, i just stood in the middle of the lake, hit each one and got like all 7....

You do know this right.... ah course you don't your to busy here complaining rather then trying different ways. -my soul weeps for you-

Also how the hell will the show take a hit from this.... /facepalm, i know people who love the show dont play the game and visa...

I've never felt more left out in my entire last 15 minutes.

Also what this guy said

Jeff Kaos
04-26-2013, 08:13 PM
I guess if you count the up time of the weakpoingt vs. the crystal i can see that.

I actually whipped out my calculator and figured it out. Using an LMG and Overpower (unload the first mag then hit OP to auto load the gun) directly on the crystal I was doing far, far more damage than when I'd OP on the weak spot.

Ninno20
04-26-2013, 08:14 PM
I actually whipped out my calculator and figured it out. Using an LMG and Overpower (unload the first mag then hit OP to auto load the gun) directly on the crystal I was doing far, far more damage than when I'd OP on the weak spot.

Yeh lmgs can be bad ***

Dave Blackwell
04-26-2013, 08:16 PM

If you say so, but I'll probably see you still posting later in the week and the week after that. No point complaining about something and then hanging around expecting it to change. It's clear as day that you don't enjoy yourself while playing the game, so why waste your own time?

Although I do have to say, it seems you deem those who have posed legitimate questions as trolls as a way to wriggle away from addressing what has been mentioned. Ah well, no point posting anything as you'll most likely deem it as 'trolling' haha.

fang1192
04-26-2013, 08:41 PM
\\

I must be imagining the ammo dump at every frickin ark fall then.

Era
04-26-2013, 08:59 PM

1. Complaint about a fix to prevent exploiting
2. Complain about hacking and grossly overestimate its frequency, complain about exploits despite see 1
3. Complain about grief play which isn't actually grief play and instead just players inconveniencing other players in order to meet their own ends, something that happens in literally every MMO out there.

Aaricane
04-26-2013, 09:09 PM
I think official numbers would be required in order for this claim to be justly backed up.
Or you could just like at the overall tone of the forums and every game review out there and make a well educated guess.

Defiance is not the success it should have been, like it or not.

fang1192
04-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Or you could just like at the overall tone of the forums and every game review out there and make a well educated guess.

Defiance is not the success it should have been, like it or not.

Youre going to make an educated guess based on a forum, already a minority of players, then use the tone of the forums, where the most vocal are negative and once again in the minority, as the basis? So your "educated" guess is based on the minority of a minority?

Panthan
04-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Peon - troll, nwa.

Lets start off with this.
Disagreeing with you is NOT the same as trolling.
Dave has been absolutely correct, even with people constantly killing spawns ammo is more then plentyfull around arkfalls, especially since most spots have ammo dumps nearby.
As for your tv show comment, no, the game may draw people TO the show but the state of the game wont really effect the amounth of people watching it.

1) Same issue in pretty much every mmo, except this one lets you share credit by just tagging it. I do somewhat agree the co-ops needing some tweaking.

2) Unfortunately hackers and exploiters are everywhere. I wouldnt mind seeing a more agressive stance against this but, its a very safe bet that trion IS working on some sollutions.

3) Ammo is painfully plentyfull and most locations DO have ammo dumps, or atleast nearby.

4) Yes I do disagree with you on most points there for I am a troll.

Aaricane
04-27-2013, 12:14 AM
Youre going to make an educated guess based on a forum, already a minority of players, then use the tone of the forums, where the most vocal are negative and once again in the minority, as the basis? So your "educated" guess is based on the minority of a minority?I would agree with you usually. However its not just this forum in particular. Its not well liked on just about every gaming website/forum i've looked at. Game reviews are ripping the game in half constantly and sales numbers, tho not including digital downloads, are not that good at all.

I'd go as far to say that at least 50-60% of people that have bought/played Defiance, do not like it.
And that's not a very good thing for any game.....

IGN
04-27-2013, 12:16 AM
At least they are suspending hackers. A few people that I know were hacking got suspended and a warning. Quite a few still did not, but hey it's a start.

Now they just need to remove the damn credit only for participating crap and we would be golden.

rethu
04-27-2013, 12:17 AM
thanks for sharing lol

6Strummer
04-27-2013, 12:40 AM
Oh look another anti-defiance topic......

You knwo if you found one of the other dozens of threads and discussed it in that thread, it could actually get to be large enough for someome important to bother taking notice.

Well that way they wouldn't get their name at the top of the thread. Can't have that.

MacDeath
04-27-2013, 12:47 AM
I would agree with you usually. However its not just this forum in particular. Its not well liked on just about every gaming website/forum i've looked at. Game reviews are ripping the game in half constantly and sales numbers, tho not including digital downloads, are not that good at all.

I'd go as far to say that at least 50-60% of people that have bought/played Defiance, do not like it.
And that's not a very good thing for any game.....
The average for ALL MMOs is that only 30% of those who bought the game are still playing after a month. In subscription based games it's easy to track, no so much so here.

Two big reasons for people to leave:
1. They aren't having much fun and they've accomplished all they wanted too.
2. It's not the style of game they enjoy. ie: They don't like shooters and didn't realize Defiance was one.

Spruence
04-27-2013, 12:49 AM
1. Complaint about a fix to prevent exploiting
2. Complain about hacking and grossly overestimate its frequency, complain about exploits despite see 1
3. Complain about grief play which isn't actually grief play and instead just players inconveniencing other players in order to meet their own ends, something that happens in literally every MMO out there.

Just because hacking and crap takes place in all MMOs, doesn't make it acceptable...

Edit:
I like the game, so please don't tell me i'm hating on it. There are just a thousand things that I wish were better. I won't quit playing, not for a while.

Redman20
04-27-2013, 02:21 AM
Or the HUGE variety of bugs that are detrimental to the game, we complain about it, so the devs decide to only fix the bugs that HELP people while leaving game breaking bugs in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/the_pics/random%20stuff/defiancememe1_zps366a8086.jpg

Archeus9
04-27-2013, 03:07 AM
How about -

Promise the player base regular content updates to coincide with the TV Show. Then fail to keep at it and add 3 lousy pursuits as "big content that we should look forward to" Combined with lack of bug fixing holding players progress, Constant loss of Skill levels...Purchasing Lock boxes using rare keycodes which take ages to farm to then get nothing at all or random trash to sell, Still the game is plagued with hackers and riddled with bugs/exploits

The damage has been done, A huge chunk of the player base has ditched the game... They need to think of something and implement it quick and then explain why they have failed to incorporate the most basic of MMO aspects.

This. Very much this. I want to play the game but honestly i ask myself why. Its a decent shooter but i wonder how much influence it actually has on the show. seems nothing at all. not to mention i haven't seen a single enemy we faced on the game shown on the show. Dont even get me started on what arkfalls are in the game vs on the show.

Ahundredsuns
04-27-2013, 03:32 AM
How about -

....so the show has been out for two weeks, and you're complaining about the lack of immediate cooperation between the show and the game? That shows how much you know about anything relevant to both the televised industry and the game industry.

Errmahgerdddd the game's been out for almost a month and there's still bugs!!!11111 #RAGEQUIT! Seriously though, name one game you have played on the PC (that had MMO aspects as well as some good'ol shootemup play) that DIDN'T have bugs/glitches for the first few months. Do it. Now take that game that you named and see if it was a multi-platformed MMO. It wasn't. I know this, it's ok. You are complaining about a game that you don't have to sub for. You spent $65 on an MMO that has insane promise to be ****ing rad WITHOUT a sub fee of $15 a month. Please QQ more. You want to play a game that was 90% bugs and glitches? Go back in time and play World Of Warcraft from day one release to the fifth month - you will rage so hard I bet your panties would burst into flames. What's that? WoW is still around eight years after its release? What? It has been through some very, very bad expansions? WTF IS THIS WITCHCRAFT!?!?!

And as for your problem with keycodes...well...you're obviously doing something wrong - I.E you're just not playing the damn game. If you do four Arkfall's, you get an average of 11 keycodes. If you do PvP, more specifically Shadow War then you get an average of 2 keycodes if you win. If you do pursuits - a select few - have keycode rewards ranging from 2-8. But, I have something even better - ARE YOU READY TO HAVE YOUR MIND BLOWN!?!?!?!?! If you salvage your crappy weapons, rather than sell them, you can make 20k ark salvage EASY. "But what do I do with the ark salvage?" you may be asking your ceiling. WELL HERE, I'LL TELL YOU - you buy keycodes! 1k AS = 1 keycode. White items give 250 AS, greens are 500 AS, purps are 1k AS and orange items are like 2k AS.

So, let's recap: **** doesn't happen instantly, get over it. You are complaining about a bad *** game with great potential because you are ignorant to what it takes to make and maintain games, especially at release and shortly after. And to top it off, you can't use your intuitive side of that brain thing you have to make sense of how keycodes are gathered.

Mr Object
04-27-2013, 03:54 AM
50-60% of the playerbase has quit? Really? Cause last time I did a major arkfall it didn't seem like 50-60% of the people that used to do arkfalls weren't still there?

I called major's zergs, and I still call them zergs. If anything, I think the playerbase has grown, the 1st time I went through the storyline I did most of the missions solo, the 2nd time I seen a few people every 2-3 missions, and this time, my 3rd, almost every mission I'm on there's at least one other person, a few of the missions I've seen 5+.

Maybe it's because I play on PC instead of the consoles?

Bopbarker
04-27-2013, 03:57 AM
Why are people whining about having to contribute to get something? I personally think it was a horrible bug to receive credit for not even being near mobs that are being killed. Oh no, I have to actually try to finish my contracts now? Stop complaining and just play the jekkin game.

Bopbarker
04-27-2013, 04:01 AM
50-60% of the playerbase has quit? Really? Cause last time I did a major arkfall it didn't seem like 50-60% of the people that used to do arkfalls weren't still there?

I called major's zergs, and I still call them zergs. If anything, I think the playerbase has grown, the 1st time I went through the storyline I did most of the missions solo, the 2nd time I seen a few people every 2-3 missions, and this time, my 3rd, almost every mission I'm on there's at least one other person, a few of the missions I've seen 5+.

Maybe it's because I play on PC instead of the consoles?

Yeah, 2nd play through of the story line. I have had people at a lot of missions and it really hasn't mattered what time I play. PC as well.

Tgreen
04-27-2013, 04:03 AM
Make players compete for extremely limited resources by forcing 'credit only by participation' on individual kills for pursuits and side missions - for instance, the blastopod pursuit at Diablo is now a long and frustrating chore.

The old system had it's own flaws, just noone complained since you got stuff handed to you by doing nothing.
Now it's the other extreme and an unpopular choice and a possible bug with the blast pods has spawned a number of threads already.
I suppose having a daily that takes more than 3 minutes to complete is beyond ludicrous for some people.
Also ... all the crap about 'Visions of the Past' by people who incidentely forgot that it always took 3-4 runs to complete and guess what ... it takes 3-4 runs after the patch as well. No change at all.

Reward hacking by putting basic game data on the game's client-side, then don't listen to players' complaints and fail to enforce bans on hackers, cheaters, exploiters.

Yes, hackers in every single PvP game and every person on these forums are suddenly an IT expert.
Heresay and blowing things out of proportion are not the way to go. QQ off to somewhere else if it bothers you that much.
A solution to punish hackers and prevet hacking in the first place will come as soon as it's ready, no amount of crying can speed this up.
This is really one of those things where complaining once and getting heard gets the job done just right ... complaining ad infinitum does nothing but annoy people.

Allow grief play by building fail exploits into important game goals, and encourage grief play by designing the game with no player complaint system - for instance, one or two players can block completion of entire hellbug arkfalls (and thus keycode rewards) by simply using a vehicle to kill spawns, blocking ammo drops and arkfall damage.

You have no idea what griefing really meant when the term was introduced and what kinds of foul play there was possible in other games.
Driving around your car in an Arkfall makes you look like a poptard and keeps a small amount of salvage from dropping for everyone. The crytal can usually still be destroyed in time if the event doesn't take place at 4 am with noone around.
Your 'blocking ammo' complaint is funny, since if all the mobs end up in road kill you save a lot of ammo in the first place, since you don't shoot at them.

Love the title as well, goes really well together with you picking up 3 random issues and blowing them absolutely out of proportion.
Everything you mentioned is a problem, no doubt, but you're just off the rails.

trip
04-27-2013, 09:46 AM

limited resources makes the game more challenging also the resources should be able 2 be traded with the other players if you want to buy the item at there price that is and the annoying hackers will allways find away around the games anti hack system its what hackers do best yes its very frustrating to play your games but u have to get used to it and have you ever thought that it is actually fun to run over hellbugs with your car

khanstruct
04-27-2013, 09:59 AM
poptard

This is my new favorite word.

mrgrimezHD
04-27-2013, 10:30 AM
People should take a look on the PC section and find the user who got 'Banned' for using 3rd party software, then come onto the forums to cry about it.

He got caught red handed but couldn't see why he was banned, therefore blaming 'other' hackers simply because they got away with it and he didn't = Mind Blown