PDA

View Full Version : SAW vs Assault

Traxx
04-27-2013, 07:09 AM
Which has the longer range? I read about drop off, but I donít see the figures.

Tgreen
04-27-2013, 07:15 AM
LMGs aren't subject to falloff, unlike every other non-sniper and non-explosive weapon.

Lyokira
04-27-2013, 07:26 AM
SAW has more recoil and bloom than AR as well, making trying to consistently hit a small, long range target difficult. (Not that it matters much when using Overpower since that seems to reduce bloom and recoil to 0)

Sdric
04-27-2013, 07:53 AM
SAW has more recoil and bloom than AR as well, making trying to consistently hit a small, long range target difficult. (Not that it matters much when using Overpower since that seems to reduce bloom and recoil to 0)

You forgot to mention that at the time the SAW's bloom kicks in each AR would've already run out of bullets....

Cavadus
04-27-2013, 08:57 AM
LMGs aren't subject to falloff, unlike every other non-sniper and non-explosive weapon.

What? Is this a bug or are they actually supposed to be this way? Has to be just a sloppy job with stats, right?

Kierro Kai
04-27-2013, 09:06 AM
I don't really understand this. I had a SAW with 424 I think with barrel mod. I would shoot someone with a controlled burst, first bullet did like a tiny bit of shield damage. However when I had an AR auto fire with 222, with no mods 273 I think with. I shot shields nearly of with one bullet or completely off. It just feels to me ARs vs SAWs AR do more and faster damage. Shouldn't it be other way?

Numina
04-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Yes the recoil on SAW is murder making aim mode quite difficult. My favorite LMG is an orange VBI LM-43 Thunder, but I usually stick with assault rifles, such as VOT Mazu Blast Rifle (it's pretty looking too!) or the FRC Assault Carbine.

Galactimus
04-27-2013, 09:55 AM
SAW's have the highest DPS in the game (though Mass Cannons / Ground Pounders in the right situations are superior.)

You can reset your bloom by letting go of the trigger for a split second (wheres at this point an AR needs to reload.) SAW's also have a very high critical damage bonus (x1.6) and can have a Magazine size of more then 125. You only have to reload four times to use all 500 ammo (less if you use Overcharge before a reload.) SAW's also use ammo more efficiently as they do more damage per shot then the "good" Assault Rifles; thus using less ammo. SAW's do in fact have fall off damage but you won't see it very often. If you go to an Arkfall or something and snipe things from a mile away you'll only do 100 damage.

There's a reason why SAW's are currently the most expensive sought after item on the Trading Forums right now. If AR's were superior they'd be more expensive. I expect a SAW nerf in the near future; probably its 400 damage being decreased to 300 or something.

Jeff Kaos
04-27-2013, 10:00 AM
I don't really understand this. I had a SAW with 424 I think with barrel mod. I would shoot someone with a controlled burst, first bullet did like a tiny bit of shield damage. However when I had an AR auto fire with 222, with no mods 273 I think with. I shot shields nearly of with one bullet or completely off. It just feels to me ARs vs SAWs AR do more and faster damage. Shouldn't it be other way?
Thank you! I've been wondering about this too. It seems like the numbers that appear for damage don't really reflect what is actually happening to enemies. I get high damage numbers with certain weapons but it seems like the enemies health is just increased to compensate for that. I'm starting to think the damage numbers are lies and only used to make players feel like their shots are doing something. There's definately something else happening there that players don't know about.

Numina
04-27-2013, 10:02 AM
Interesting. I should look into trading my SAW, I have a purple fully modded FRC SAW. There are just many other weapons I prefer.

Grimwyrd
04-27-2013, 10:09 AM
I personally prefer the VBI TACC Assault Rifle in solo PvE play. It's recoil and accuracy is better and I can headshot/kill NPCs faster (and from further away) than I can with a SAW while using less bullets (less misses, more crits).

Where the SAW shines for me is multiplayer, when target health gets high enough that killing foes becomes a marathon instead of a sprint... and when using Overcharge. SAW's are awesome when Overcharge is actively nullifying recoil.

So basically, if I'm wandering around the PvE countryside alone... I have more fun and am more effective using Decoy and a VBI TACC (or Heavy Assault Carbine). But if I am at an arkfall or in a co-op mission, I am more effective with Overcharge and a SAW.

Of course... I don't use assualt rifles or LMGs any longer... because I've already gotten 5000 kills each for Going Commando III and Stout Tactics III, so now I am doing my best to make do with shotguns and sniper rifles.

Tgreen
04-27-2013, 10:41 AM
SAW's have the highest DPS in the game (though Mass Cannons / Ground Pounders in the right situations are superior.)

True, if you are unable to achieve critical hits for what ever reason.
Although, in many of the cases where skill is not the reason Ground Pounder will be the answer to your problem.

And you should know that quality and popularity don't even come close to correlate in almost every instance.

Not that it matters much when using Overpower since that seems to reduce bloom and recoil to 0

Overcharge does not effect bloom at all.

VOT Mazu Blast Rifle (it's pretty looking too!)

I think I'm safe to say you express the opinion of a small minority.
The model is nice but the color makes it look like a toy gun ... I always think it might spray water on my target when I pull the trigger.
I have one with a huge accuracy bonus that recharges my EGO power on every full reload ... and I love the reload speed and magazine size because if it ... if only it could have the same colors as the regular VOT Blast Rifle. :<