PDA

View Full Version : features ... you wish for

Malchuth
06-09-2012, 03:30 AM
well, there are a lot of threads about single features on this forum we are wishing for or speculating about. i thought it would be a nice idea if we could collect/list them in here to give others and maybe even the designers a better overview and some suggestions.

1) pvmp (players against monsterplayers)

pvmp is a pvp concept i first saw in lord of the rings online (lotro) - and i think they were the first ever doing this - and could be the perfect pvp system for defiance. for all who aren't familiar with this concept: in pvmp players can create a 'monster' as character and are only able to play it in the instanced pvp regions (no timebased battlegrounds), these monster have their own abilities, can rise through ranks and get stronger. it feels like fighting against the intelligent version of the monsters a player encounters in the pve. i personally like the pvmp in 'lotro', its maybe a lot zerg vs zerg gameplay, but due to the continuous battle in one region there was more to do and it was more challenging than in a typical timelimited battleground.

2) economy (crafting and player based trading)

in the last years crafting became a mostly 'must have but irrelevant' feature in mmo(rp)gs, because of the basic concept of gear grinding. i can comprehend the need for gear grinding in a game. its the easiest thing to create addiction to a game and every economic analyst will tell you that you need it to make money, but this is changing. while mmo(rp)gs before 2005 did offer a lot more features and something to do for players besides gear grinding, after 2005 the endgame content was mostly limited on daily quests, group- and raid-dungeons. that a game starts to bore people to death you know when your guildmates only log into the game on raid-days. that players, even the most casual ones, do have enough of this treatmill can be seen by the subsciption loss of swtor and the dissapointed reaction of its community after the critical 3 month period.

crafting and player based economy is delicate and not easy to implement in a mmo(rp)g. eve online might be the best example for such a great system, but eve is too special, too complex to attract the normal customer - otherwise some of the big publishers/developers would have tried to copy it - but these two are the basis for many features, which can create longterm motivation for the players. i think there are ways to create at least a hybrid concept.

3) guild/clan

its a basic feature any mmo(rp)g should have, but the little details you add to it are the important ones. if defiances guildsystem is equal to the system trion uses in rift (including the features coming up with the big add on storm legion), its would be great.

4) ingame voiceover

in another thread someone mentioned an ingame voiceover system, especially because of the diffrent plattforms defiance can be played on (pc, ps, xbox).

Escyos
06-09-2012, 07:52 AM
well, there are a lot of threads about single features on this forum we are wishing for or speculating about. i thought it would be a nice idea if we could collect/list them in here to give others and maybe even the designers a better overview and some suggestions.

pvmp is a pvp concept i first saw in lord of the rings online (lotro) - and i think they were the first ever doing this - and could be the perfect pvp system for defiance. for all who aren't familiar with this concept: in pvmp players can create a 'monster' as character and are only able to play it in the instanced pvp regions (no timebased battlegrounds), these monster have their own abilities, can rise through ranks and get stronger. it feels like fighting against the intelligent version of the monsters a player encounters in the pve. i personally like the pvmp in 'lotro', its maybe a lot zerg vs zerg gameplay, but due to the continuous battle in one region there was more to do and it was more challenging than in a typical timelimited battleground.

So you just turn into another character in battle?

in the last years crafting became a mostly 'must have but irrelevant' feature in mmo(rp)gs, because of the basic concept of gear grinding. i can comprehend the need for gear grinding in a game. its the easiest thing to create addiction to a game and every economic analyst will tell you that you need it to make money, but this is changing. while mmo(rp)gs before 2005 did offer a lot more features and something to do for players besides gear grinding, after 2005 the endgame content was mostly limited on daily quests, group- and raid-dungeons. that a game starts to bore people to death you know when your guildmates only log into the game on raid-days. that players, even the most casual ones, do have enough of this treatmill can be seen by the subsciption loss of swtor and the dissapointed reaction of its community after the critical 3 month period.

crafting and player based economy is delicate and not easy to implement in a mmo(rp)g. eve online might be the best example for such a great system, but eve is too special, too complex to attract the normal customer - otherwise some of the big publishers/developers would have tried to copy it - but these two are the basis for many features, which can create longterm motivation for the players. i think there are ways to create at least a hybrid concept.

If I understand you correctly, you worrying that the game may become repetitive?

3) guild/clan

its a basic feature any mmo(rp)g should have, but the little details you add to it are the important ones. if defiances guildsystem is equal to the system trion uses in rift (including the features coming up with the big add on storm legion), its would be great.

Chances are if it is popular in Rift, then it will be in Defiance in some form.

4) ingame voiceover

in another thread someone mentioned an ingame voiceover system, especially because of the diffrent plattforms defiance can be played on (pc, ps, xbox).

That would be good. (You are aware that the PC, PS and Xbox players do not interact with one another, only those playing the same console?)

Malchuth
06-09-2012, 09:37 AM
So you just turn into another character in battle?

its more like an additional race / faction you can play but only within the special pvmp regions and your 'monster' starts with skills and attributes equal to a elite enemy or even a mini-boss on maximum level. its hard to explain without going too much into details (and with my limited knowledge of the english language) ... just imagine that in some regions of the world behind all monsters you see is another player. this kind of pvp concept is a little bit more complex than the normal lets-grind-battlegrounds and does have some gaps, but doing it right its more challenging, more thrilling and better to balance than the standard pvp concept we see in every 08/15 mmo(rp)g.

If I understand you correctly, you worrying that the game may become repetitive?

indeed. i started playing mmorpgs back in 1999 and untill 2004/5 it was exciting to observe the evolution of the genre. but after the mass success of world of warcraft the progress stagnated because all investors wanted a piece of the cash-cake and developers/designers were forced to stick with the same easy-to-play concept. and since then all high budget mmorpgs offered us the same endgame content ... meaningless repetitive gear grind. i do understand why the easy-to-play concept is choosen and it would be naive to belive that this will change soon, but i like not to belive that there can't be a little bit more .... and to quote horaz: 'bis repetita non placent!'

Curiel
06-09-2012, 09:51 AM
I only hope that it does not try to dumb down anything does just because its on console

Defiant Angel
06-09-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm sure that they will have some sort of guild/clan system. The pvmp sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out on LOTRO.

Escyos
06-09-2012, 09:12 PM
I only hope that it does not try to dumb down anything does just because its on console

Im pretty sure they said every thing will be the same no matter which you play on.

Shrapnil
06-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Im pretty sure they said every thing will be the same no matter which you play on.

I think they are talking about the age range for console gamers. Its known that older gamers are the majority rather than children on most PC games, and consoles They tend to have a larger range of age for gamers.

The only feature i really care for which is an in game/out of game clan or guild page that has the list of active guilds and what they have achieved. I always liked to see what guilds/clans are on top. I think it promotes people to actually try and be the best rather just troll lower levels like i have seen in Tera.

Adsinonimous
06-12-2012, 02:07 PM
PvP is now definitely going to be in the game!
Guilds are now definitely going to be in the game
Apparently there is going to be two currencies but little information has been known.
I was the one that was talking about voice systems and I wasn't meaning there was troubles due to a "crossover in servers" but more, the capabilities are different on each and every platform. :)

Nemajneb
06-12-2012, 02:54 PM

3) guild/clan

4) ingame voiceover

Monster vs. human would mean full owpvp...so i'm 100% game for that.

Malchuth
06-13-2012, 06:43 AM
its nice to hear that there are some more people out there who like the idea of pvmp. i talked with some of my friends about it and one came up with another quite interesting suggestion for defiance: does someone remember the old half-life mod called 'natural selection' (NS)? NS is a scifi fps (space marines against aliens) with resource management and command functions. Part 2 of NS will be released soon and informations about this game you can find here (http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/).

now just imagine if trion would add pvp-gameplay, like NS have, to defiance as some sort of battleground ... it would give the players a more than welcome change to the normal - and nowadays very boring - pvp battleground gameplay, which is mostly reduced to deathmatch or capture the flag settings.

Adsinonimous
06-13-2012, 01:06 PM
I did not realize that we were discussing "PvMP". I'm not a big fan on this concept as I really feel balancing fails when trying to integrate a Player vs. Player mode like this. Firstly, the only game where I think this worked properly is in a game called "WolfTeam", but this is only as you had the option to change into a wolf and a man anytime when playing. The wolf got up close and person and the man had a gun that could shoot foes from afar. As switching between them would not fit with any of the story I highly doubt this mechanic would exist. Also, I highly doubt there would be any PvMP as I feel Trion would have released some footage of gameplay from a monster's view.