PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is Trion planning?

Kane
04-28-2013, 06:14 AM
I address the issue of transparency and community interaction, this is an mmo, it lives and survives on the count of players playing it, and thus the company and the community should be in touch.

At the moment, we have no idea what plans trion has for the game, all the answers or information we get is "we can't disclose that at the moment", "more on that topic in the future" that is not exactly the attitude that helps the community to support the endeavor to improving the game, if you plan to lead the development of the game as a dictatorship, then you will have a hard time getting players to contribute (financially) to you.

Instead of ambiguous statement, i would like to hear a concrete idea for the future of the game, i don't want long term but if your PR manager would think of creating a more transparent approach it would help keep the community interested, saying "we have awesome content in mind for future updates" stirs a bit of interest but not as much as desired.

Why not lay out for the community the ideas for short term mods and actually let people contribute to the game in one way or another, might be an idea that you haven't thought of or might be that some of the ideas you have as a dev are not viewed in as good of a light as you might think, let the community give you feedback, it is a lot less painful than getting complaints, and keep in mind that people remember bad things more than good ones, so once you did something that affected negatively the player, you need a lot more than some random rewards to make that impression less bitter.

As an example (recent one) would be the contribution "fix", i wonder and it is only speculation, but if someone from trion would have posted on the forum "we are planning to do this:" and give the community voice and see how the reaction was, the number of unhappy people would be far less than what is going on now, same goes for announcing the future plans...i have yet to see a post that sounds like "we are working on the chat system now, we are accepting suggestions and requests from the community, please post you ideas and requests here"...nobody is forcing you to do what people want but if the majority would prefer a function, wouldn't it be logical to give them that function especially if that option does not ruin the story or the immersion of the game whatsoever?

"We are currently working on a player vs player race system, please post you thought on that here"
"we are currently releasing a dlc, and working on the following 20 aspects of the game, the dlc can only include 5, please choose what aspects would you want in the upcoming one"

True that the examples above are a bit of a stretch but if that would be the case it could turn defiance in a better game.

And also all this would help prioritize the development of the game both in bug fixing and content evolution.

What i am proposing trion is...can't we be friends? You can keep your secrets but some things can be shared with us!

Fatalmephisto
04-28-2013, 06:19 AM
Well right now from there latest blog, is that they are getting the game fixed as best as possible right now which is a good thing. Cause a broken game can also kill a community. Content will come soon and hell maybe even with Tomorrows Episode. Truth be told, they are not ignoring us, there just working around the clock to make sure they address the problems that most people are complaining about outside of features and content.

Kane
04-28-2013, 06:22 AM
agree with you there, but that's just it, the blog is saying "we are working on it" not exactly what "it" is. And all the blogs are like that...ambiguous.

Fiancee
04-28-2013, 06:23 AM
http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/04/27/serious-improvements-serious-business/

I will also cover how we incorporate player feedback in a blog and our roadmap in another in the next days, but serious business first. I‘ll be covering that, how we incorporate player feedback, an important part of our development process and following, a look at our roadmap and how we do our DLCs, which include free and paid components. In case you were wondering, I did move our DLCs back to focus on addressing Live issues and that‘s still the case. That doesn‘t mean we stop planning and revisiting our goals. Nor that we shouldn‘t give you insight into them.

They're on IT, so relax. The game isnt even 1 month old.

Kane
04-28-2013, 06:29 AM
i'm sorry if you found my post to be aggressive it was not my intention, it was just a thought on how to improve the communication with the community, and "I‘ll be covering that, how we incorporate player feedback, an important part of our development process and following, a look at our roadmap and how we do our DLCs, which include free and paid components" is not exactly what i meant, this one refers to feedback, i was offering a possibility to give insight, like avoiding negative feedback on a massive scale by just asking in advance :)

And even if the game has launched less than a month ago, Defiance had a community long before that, when alpha started

Booshy
04-28-2013, 06:30 AM
I address the issue of transparency and community interaction, this is an mmo, it lives and survives on the count of players playing it, and thus the company and the community should be in touch.

At the moment, we have no idea what plans trion has for the game, all the answers or information we get is "we can't disclose that at the moment", "more on that topic in the future" that is not exactly the attitude that helps the community to support the endeavor to improving the game, if you plan to lead the development of the game as a dictatorship, then you will have a hard time getting players to contribute (financially) to you.

Instead of ambiguous statement, i would like to hear a concrete idea for the future of the game, i don't want long term but if your PR manager would think of creating a more transparent approach it would help keep the community interested, saying "we have awesome content in mind for future updates" stirs a bit of interest but not as much as desired.

Why not lay out for the community the ideas for short term mods and actually let people contribute to the game in one way or another, might be an idea that you haven't thought of or might be that some of the ideas you have as a dev are not viewed in as good of a light as you might think, let the community give you feedback, it is a lot less painful than getting complaints, and keep in mind that people remember bad things more than good ones, so once you did something that affected negatively the player, you need a lot more than some random rewards to make that impression less bitter.

As an example (recent one) would be the contribution "fix", i wonder and it is only speculation, but if someone from trion would have posted on the forum "we are planning to do this:" and give the community voice and see how the reaction was, the number of unhappy people would be far less than what is going on now, same goes for announcing the future plans...i have yet to see a post that sounds like "we are working on the chat system now, we are accepting suggestions and requests from the community, please post you ideas and requests here"...nobody is forcing you to do what people want but if the majority would prefer a function, wouldn't it be logical to give them that function especially if that option does not ruin the story or the immersion of the game whatsoever?

"We are currently working on a player vs player race system, please post you thought on that here"
"we are currently releasing a dlc, and working on the following 20 aspects of the game, the dlc can only include 5, please choose what aspects would you want in the upcoming one"

True that the examples above are a bit of a stretch but if that would be the case it could turn defiance in a better game.

And also all this would help prioritize the development of the game both in bug fixing and content evolution.

What i am proposing trion is...can't we be friends? You can keep your secrets but some things can be shared with us!

So far, everything as a whole, this has been one of the worst mmo's I've ever played regarding communication from the devs.

Fatalmephisto
04-28-2013, 06:32 AM
i'm sorry if you found my post to be aggressive it was not my intention, it was just a thought on how to improve the communication with the community, and "I‘ll be covering that, how we incorporate player feedback, an important part of our development process and following, a look at our roadmap and how we do our DLCs, which include free and paid components" is not exactly what i meant, this one refers to feedback, i was offering a possibility to give insight, like avoiding negative feedback on a massive scale by just asking in advance :)

Hell nah dude, your perfectly fine bro. Its nice to see people talk about issues without a negative tone in there post.

Tgreen
04-28-2013, 06:34 AM
The game is still young and there's yet a reason to be seen as to why it wouldn't grow in time.

Cutlass Jack
04-28-2013, 06:35 AM
There's also a second part to the Friday Blog coming soon that supposedly covers the 'Sexy' stuff. He split it into two parts.

Munx
04-28-2013, 06:37 AM
There's also a second part to the Friday Blog coming soon that supposedly covers the 'Sexy' stuff. He split it into two parts.

Well Sexy promises is fine, dosn't mean you are getting lucky anytime soon though... the current track record isnt giving me a whole lot of faith.

despite my love for the game.

Demoniku22
04-28-2013, 07:45 AM
http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/04/27/serious-improvements-serious-business/

I will also cover how we incorporate player feedback in a blog and our roadmap in another in the next days, but serious business first. I‘ll be covering that, how we incorporate player feedback, an important part of our development process and following, a look at our roadmap and how we do our DLCs, which include free and paid components. In case you were wondering, I did move our DLCs back to focus on addressing Live issues and that‘s still the case. That doesn‘t mean we stop planning and revisiting our goals. Nor that we shouldn‘t give you insight into them.

They're on IT, so relax. The game isnt even 1 month old.

Yeah, but that is only towards issues. I myself think it would be nice if they took some player input on content and things into the games. A lot of games do get really high sales due to player created content such as minecraft, skyrim, even just cause 2 had a huge jump in sales when a small player base of thier community made the multiplayer mod, same with DayZ for Arma 2. If more companies took this approach by actually involving thier community says a ton about how you feel towards your customer base and how much they look into making thier community happy, just a thought.