PDA

View Full Version : Buy the game, or wait?

Dankzilla
04-28-2013, 11:07 AM
I was super hyped to buy this game, but due to tight budget I haven't been able to part with $120. (One for me, one for my girlfriend)

The show really got me more excited to play, but then I started looking around the forums.

The game seems to be horribly plagued with numerous, and very problematic, glitches.

So, would you recommend that I buy the game or wait? Because it's probably going to drop in price if these bugs continue and the player base drops.

Edit: Now I'm reading there are rampant hackers that not only aimbot, but have DAMAGE hacks?

How can you possibly leave damage coding vulnerable enough to be manipulated by cheaters...

Reasons I'm Skeptical to Buy:
Hackers
Array of Bugs
Disappearing Weapons?!

Iceberg
04-28-2013, 11:12 AM
I would wait a year before picking it up.

Numina
04-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Honestly neither of these issues are as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. Trion has way of tracking the dmg values and are in fact handing out bans. If you aren't a big PVPer then it is a non issue anyway. However, I love PVP and have been in daily since the start, hackers weren't noticeable in the beginning, started to become an issue two weeks ago, but as of this week I haven't been in a group with someone obviously hacking once. I personally know of clan members that were banned, and it all happened on the same day during a downtime. I'm not by any means saying the game is perfect, I've never played an MMO at launch that was, but I do think that people are making a bigger deal out of these issues than needed. I would say buy the game if you want to get a jump into the storyline, that's why I did it, and also I've always found it fun and exciting playing games from launch and getting to be among the first to discover things on the game, instead of there already being 100 guides telling you the fastest way to do everything.

deltadeath93
04-28-2013, 11:25 AM
Honestly neither of these issues are as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. Trion has way of tracking the dmg values and are in fact handing out bans. If you aren't a big PVPer then it is a non issue anyway. However, I love PVP and have been in daily since the start, hackers weren't noticeable in the beginning, started to become an issue two weeks ago, but as of this week I haven't been in a group with someone obviously hacking once. I personally know of clan members that were banned, and it all happened on the same day during a downtime. I'm not by any means saying the game is perfect, I've never played an MMO at launch that was, but I do think that people are making a bigger deal out of these issues than needed. I would say buy the game if you want to get a jump into the storyline, that's why I did it, and also I've always found it fun and exciting playing games from launch and getting to be among the first to discover things on the game, instead of there already being 100 guides telling you the fastest way to do everything.

i wouldn't wait a year but id definatly give it a couple monthes to get bugs worked out granted you would miss out on possibly getting your charecter on tv but you would get a much more stable game

Mutated Spleen
04-28-2013, 11:27 AM
You also have to keep in mind that it is a multi-platform game. A lot of the people incessantly whining are Xbox and PS3 players. I'm not trying to say they are immature children or anything, but they ARE having a different experience than us on the PC. PS3 is still a couple of patches behind, for example, and I think Xbox is mad partially because they are paying an additional fee (XBL) on top of Defiance, so they feel they have some special privileges. Neither group is used to an MMO launch, and the bugs associated with it.

I am enjoying Defiance, anyway, both the show and the game. I have invested about $130 into this game so far, for the super deluxe PC addition, and the season pass, and I do not feel it was a waste. I have not experienced any of the major bugs people are talking about, and the one I was experiencing (hotkeys not saving after logging out) was fixed a couple of weeks ago. I also used to play Rift, another Trion game, and I have a lot of faith in their developers and customer service departments. So...I would suggest getting it, but be aware that there ARE bugs, but they will probably be fixed shortly.

Ikagawa
04-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Wait until the first DLC. You'll have more content at least, and they might have fixed some of the problems by then.

Rizaun
04-28-2013, 11:41 AM
It's up to you, I'm not really having a problem with the game (other than being kind of bored), I play casually and the only bugs I've experienced aren't game breaking and it's B2P too so I can take a break anytime and wait for content updates. People that play 24/7 are going to experience all kinds of issues and some of these people love to exaggerate what's really happening (Like claiming that it's impossible to play).

OMGBEES
04-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Reasons I'm Skeptical to Buy:
Hackers
Array of Bugs
Disappearing Weapons?!

Hacking is not nearly as big of an issue as the whiners make it out to be. I play on NA-PC and I have only run into 4-5 people cheating the entire time I have played the game. I have well over 50 hours logged in PVP and am not bored with it yet. The ego tree allows for such a wide variety of specs which in turn makes picking gear very diverse.

Of course there are bugs... to be honest there are a few to many and I do wish that Trion would pick up the pace a bit... but I have over 10 days of /played time and I still have things to do that aren't hindered by bugs.

I have not had a weapon disappear in over a week and a half... when I did have one go missing and I had to do was get in touch with Trions live chat and they gave me a weapon that was better than the one I lost.

In most customer support related jobs that you work you will be told in training that each happy customer will tell 2 people about their good experience... and that someone who has a bad experience will tell over 10 people. Not only that... but a customer that is dissatisfied will go out of their way to let everyone know how they feel and why YOU should feel that exact same way. It seems to me that over the years in online gaming that forums tend to be the easiest fastest way for someone to come vent their frustrations... so you end up with a bit more negativity than the game honestly deserves... just go take a look at the PVP sub-forums. PVP is fine(it needs some tweaks just like any game at launch)... but people get beat... hop on the forums and complain.

You can pick up the game for just over 40 bucks now on PC... even if the game was still 60 id say that it was more than worth the money.

MacDeath
04-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Only a very small percentage of the players have seen the bugs and glitches that are featured on these forums. Let me explain, Most players NEVER go to the forums, not even to browse. Of this minority who do go to the forums, an even smaller minority report problems.

That said, there are problems in the game and you might notice some of them on your system. Give it go and see for yourself?

Wadgod
04-28-2013, 12:11 PM
id wait another month or so still lots of bugs, the disappearing weapons has been fixed from what i hear. The game is really tiny at the moment but still good fun, yes there are many hackers in pvp..

Game is brand new almost a month old not much content yet and still many bugs and problems in need of fixing give it some time let Trion work out the issues and then take another look at the game.

Nixiam
04-28-2013, 03:39 PM
If you are asking if the game worth the money my answer is YES, specially now that can be found for less than 30€.
If you want a finished, bug free and polished game in every aspect despite of how much it cost: no.
The game is fun and will pay you back for the money you spent but there is still a lot that can offer, we know that content will arrive but trion worlds fail in telling us what, not even the content of the season pass is clear, more outfits and more missions are expected but people are scared for a simple fact: is clear that just those things wont keep the game alive, even a doubled quantity of missions will make the game last just a week more or less.
I tell you what I said to my friends: buy the game because is worth it, is fun, just don't buy the season pass till trion will explain what exactly is.

Nexos_Arc
04-28-2013, 03:55 PM
If you are happy to spend some cash on an "OK" game with fun gameplay, give it a go.
If you only want to spend $$$ on TOP, TOP titles and only buy 1-3 games a year, give a miss/ wait.
You can get legit copies at Greenman Gaming with a 20% or 25% discount voucher, these get advertised 1-2x per month.

I don't regret spending $$ on DDL edition (PC) + season pass (both with discounts) and a few $ for inventory slots .... however I am old and work full-time ;)

Kreegan
04-28-2013, 03:57 PM
I was super hyped to buy this game, but due to tight budget I haven't been able to part with $120. (One for me, one for my girlfriend)

The show really got me more excited to play, but then I started looking around the forums.

The game seems to be horribly plagued with numerous, and very problematic, glitches.

So, would you recommend that I buy the game or wait? Because it's probably going to drop in price if these bugs continue and the player base drops.

<--SNIP-->

Man, I'd kill to have a girlfriend who played games with me!

Of course, it would probably piss off my wife big time...

The game really doesn't have all that many BUGS per se; unfortunately, people who don't have a clue will call everything a "bug". What the game does have is a lot of badly thought out design features (or, worse, design features that weren't thought out).

Bugs will get fixed fairly quickly. If Trion's treatment of RIFT is any example, they will quickly come up with ways to identify hackers and stop their actions.

However...

The horrible UI will take a while to "fix" (the fix in this case being replacement with something suitable for a PC). The various bad game mechanics (such as the mod/salvage fiasco) will take even longer to fix since they need to be re-thought. Mission/scenario shortcomings (like allowing spawn camping in "Shadow Wars" PvP such that you're dead a half-second after you enter the zone and before you even had a chance to control your character) are going to require introduction of new mechanics.

The game is playable right now; it is fun right now; but it can also be so frustrating that there are times I exit the game within ten minutes of starting it up.

Since it's not a subscription game, that's not an issue. It'll give you more time to be with your girlfriend.

Lucky stiff...

Whippersnapper
04-28-2013, 04:03 PM
I got mine for 60, but only because after several transaction failures due to website issues, I forgot to put in a coupon code on my last attempt. The transaction went through on that attempt. It would have cost me 45.

So if you shop around, you can get it for 45 or even less. Had I gotten it a day earlier, I wouldve paid 33.

Nexos_Arc
04-28-2013, 04:12 PM
.... The horrible UI will take a while to "fix" (the fix in this case being replacement with something suitable for a PC) ....

admire your faith. this game was designed for cross-platform, released as multi-platform ... chances are low/ 0 that we see any UI improvement for PC soon.

However, if the game tanks on consoles, we might see all the PC specific goodies
- better view distance
- hi-res pack -> check out these designs!!! mind-blowing: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?177616-Defiance-Character-Art-Dump
- UI

Nixiam
04-28-2013, 04:23 PM
this game was designed for cross-platform

In yesterday livestream they clearly said that the cross-platform won't happen, so, no excuses, we need a pc UI even if the game is going to be ported on iphone, the fact that can be played on a coffee machine should not stop us from playing it good on pc.

mikegonzalez2k
04-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Honestly at this point I am regretting buying the game. It takes a lot for me to say that about any game, even a game like COD which is devout of creativity is at the very least stable. I really hate saying this because I am seriously trying to enjoy this game. I could deal with the hackers, I could deal with the bugs since this game is relatively new. But it seems at every corner things just seem to get worse. Recent lag has made the game unplayable. Then they change things that actually made sense to only further enrage many players. For example credit for pursuits and contracts no longer shared in group. This makes people have to be anti-social in an MMO. I seriously wonder what they are thinking sometimes. Sorry I know this sounds like a rant. It's a bit frustrating and I know these kinds of posts are like beating repetitive. But at this point it just feels like enough is enough, and I'm normally a very patient person. I wouldn't recommend buying this game. At least not at this point in time, possibly never. There are plenty of games out there that don't put you through all this headache where you can just play and enjoy. This sadly is not one of those games. In six months I would look at the game and see if these issues are still rampant or not, and that will be all the proof you need to make your decision.

Tacophagist
04-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Wait until it drops to $10-20 or goes completely F2P. It's not worth $60 at all and definitely not $120. There are plenty of free/cheap games out there that are miles better than this.

Nexos_Arc
04-28-2013, 04:42 PM
In yesterday livestream they clearly said that the cross-platform won't happen, so, no excuses, we need a pc UI even if the game is going to be ported on iphone, the fact that can be played on a coffee machine should not stop us from playing it good on pc.

ha, ha like the iphone port idea. however, its multi-platform and they need to maintain 3 platforms at the moment. so chances are low that we see lots of PC specific features. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see them. .... just being realistic here.
Yes, this would be so great with better view distance, hi-res, DX11, physx, pc-UI ...

X-platform is not going to happen. Supposedly the game was build for it (and it does work in testing?!), but Microsoft did not like the idea ....

Rasczak
04-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Man, I'd kill to have a girlfriend who played games with me!

Of course, it would probably piss off my wife big time...

That's why I ditched the wife and kept the girlfriend. Worked out great. :p

Schwa
04-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Buy the game, wait on the season pass.

mikegonzalez2k
04-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Here's another reason not to buy the game, they just recently add this change as if on purpose to make you hate it that much more.

Your daily quests aren't shared. So if you need a mob, and some other idiot runs up and kills it they get the credit and you don't.

Ikagawa
04-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Here's another reason not to buy the game, they just recently add this change as if on purpose to make you hate it that much more.

Your daily quests aren't shared. So if you need a mob, and some other idiot runs up and kills it they get the credit and you don't.

If you tagged it first, you get credit and they don't. You have the system backwards.

Skeptic
04-28-2013, 07:39 PM
I would say wait on it after playing since release I am not even logging in until some of the bugs get worked out and more content is added sadly I spent way to much on this game already. I could have gotten more enjoyment out of a second rate f2p mmo like swtor for much less money.

Nexos_Arc
04-28-2013, 08:21 PM
If you tagged it first, you get credit and they don't. You have the system backwards.

problem is, there is not much "tagging" in this game.
Most mobs just explode when tagged.
Makes the pursuits a real chore w/ the new system.