PDA

View Full Version : An idea on how to help stop the rage.

HaZeY
04-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Hi guys, for those who haven't read a post of mine, I'm HaZeY, I play on NA Xbox server. For those of you who have read some of my posts, I would like to genuinely apologize no matter if you are part of the community or the development team. I really have made an a** of myself sometimes. That being said, I have some constructive ideas to help the community become better informed.

Now I would like to put the problem(in my mind it is one) out there with an easy, reasonable way to fix it. Please add comments on better solutions to fixing it if you feel you know of a better one. If this isn't a problem for you, please don't flame me or others that feel this is an issue as I'm not flaming trion.

My issue, is lack of information. Before everyone jumps down my throat, I understand there is a server status thread, patch notes thread, and a dev tracker thread. My main issue is with the dev tracker thread. Now understand, my part time job, is a salesman. I sell items and give information to consumers, just like trion. We the community are consumers. We have given money to the salesman(trion), and I for one would like better info.

The problem I have with dev tracker, is I simply shouldn't have to track the developers that I have paid for information regarding a malfunctioning product(defiance). You can say it is a great game, which it is, but bottom line is it is still malfunctioning. My previous posts people said if I wanted information that I should go to dev tracker. I felt like an idiot and went to this thread expecting to see the holy grail of info. Lol, maybe I'm ignorant in how to look for the information I wanted, but all I saw is a fluster-cuck of information I didn't need.

But guess what, I think I have an awesome idea to fix it. Leave the thread server status, but tie in patch notes as a sub thread. Keep dev tracker for people that have personal issues with the game(as it seemed to be a lot of people getting vague answers to their specific questions/problems). But please place a new thread in and title it "Day to Day in Fixing Defiance".

Why is simple, out of most of the threads I saw people raging on, they were simply upset due to lack of info, or what issues were being addressed. Some community members raged that they give info when they say server is going down. Sure, they tell us its happening, but why. More times then not, they simply state its going down for maintenance/updates, but never say why. I don't know why as we gave them our money. I simply want more info.

In this new thread, updated everyday, you could list todays goals for fixing defiance, maybe you could delete server status and list it in the new thread. At the end of the day inform the community on wether these issues are fixed, and if not, why. Face it, no matter how many times they say sorry, say they give us info, or say servers are down, Trion is usually as vague as a blind man explaining what someone looks like. The last blog could be summarized with, we have issues, we know, were sorry, they might be fixed sometime in the next month.

Well, that's my idea on fixing the information aspect. I'm simply trying to be constructive. If you are reading this part, thank you for giving me your time. If I offended anyone, I am sorry, it was not my intention.

HaZeY
04-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Anyone think the thread idea is good/valid

Lollie
04-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Anyone think the thread idea is good/valid

I think it's a great idea, would open up communication lines which I think we all want.

place a new thread in and title it "Day to Day in Fixing Defiance".

In this new thread, updated everyday, you could list todays goals for fixing defiance, maybe you could delete server status and list it in the new thread. At the end of the day inform the community on wether these issues are fixed, and if not, why...The last blog could be summarized with, we have issues, we know, were sorry, they might be fixed sometime in the next month.

+1

HaZeY
04-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Can we generate some more ideas/opinions. I think this new thread idea I have would silence most peoples complaints on lack of info for this great game.

HaZeY
04-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Hey guys. Sorry that I'm trying to bump this into life so much but I feel this is an awesome idea, especially with todays server downtime. Please give feedback.

HaZeY
04-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Stopped reading after first paragraph.........
I'm sorry that you did. If you actually read more you might understand thay this is the first great idea imo that they could implement right away.

COLD
04-29-2013, 10:33 AM
cool story bro! whatever...

MacDeath
04-29-2013, 10:37 AM
IMO, words won't stop the rage. Action will. Trion telling us EVERY day what they are planning /working on won't matter. Doing things can and will make a difference.

Tgreen
04-29-2013, 10:41 AM
A two paragraph foreword that add nothing to your topic since we're not discussing you or anything you mentioned there, but your idea. This is an internet forum for a game and I don't really need to learn anything about you unless I really want to ask or we're in the off-topic area.

The problem I have with dev tracker, is I simply shouldn't have to track the developers that I have paid for information regarding a malfunctioning product(defiance).

Nothing wrong with the dev tracker. It tracks all the posts postet by Trion staff members and you can see poster and topic names.
That mousing over the link doesn't work as usual is my only concern and that's not a really big one.

To further your example ... in the morning I get my newspaper delivered to me and I have to get up, halfway dressed, go to my door, open said door, pick up the paper from my doorsteps and get back inside. Now following your example I'll get up early and add 'taking the paper and spanking the paperboy until I'll find my newspaper delivered to my bedside drawer'. Well in my rights, since I pay that slacker to deliver the newspaper to me!

Keep dev tracker for people that have personal issues with the game(as it seemed to be a lot of people getting vague answers to their specific questions/problems).

Thanks for not wanting to take the tracker away from me ... but I ask myself how would you decide which issues should go into the proposed thread? Pretty much all bugs fall into the personal category unless it's one that truly breaks the game for everyone.

Some community members raged that they give info when they say server is going down. Sure, they tell us its happening, but why.

Now, this is a valid point as long as it is valuable information ... but it has it's limits and posting information on eg. server downtime announcements would lead to widespread confusion and is unnecessary.

To be honest if I didn't realize how helter skelter Trions offices have to be if they want to truly improve the game I'd be about their bad timing in announcing downtime and patches. But one month is alright to cut some slack as long as every move Trion makes is forward.

[...] maybe you could delete server status and list it in the new thread.

Absolutely [insert profanity here] not. Have to sift through a very long thread or click on the one that concerns you to get all the information you need? I know which one I'd chose ... Same goes for the poor slob tasked with editing the beast of a thread you envision. Although I suppose it would be just punishment for whoever gave his OK on the chat system.

HaZeY
04-29-2013, 10:42 AM
IMO, words won't stop the rage. Action will. Trion telling us EVERY day what they are planning /working on won't matter. Doing things can and will make a difference.
I agree, there will always be some reason for people to rage. But if this is done, lack of information would be one less rage thread cluttering the forums.

filthymonkey
04-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Day to day fixing defiance.....

Day 1, thought about problems.
Day 2, talked about problems.
Day 3, wrote a bit of code.
Day 4, deleted bit of code and started again.
Day 5, talked a bit more had lunch and talked again.
Day 6, day off.
Day 7, other day off.
Etc etc etc.

I mean the only info I want is info to say ok fixed it. As for having a trion team member sat there telling us "jeffs at his computer doing something" just seems pointless and a waist of man power. I personally have a thing called patience and I like to think that they are working hard to improve the game without needing to be told this everyday.

Thank you.

HaZeY
04-29-2013, 11:00 AM
I apologize for giving info on myself. I ment that I understood about selling a product as trion is.
This thread I'm thinking up isn't a unorganized one. Simply everyday, they post a new sub thread with the date. They bulletin info, ehen server is expecting to go down, the bugs they are working on that day( as you said, there are numerous bugs, they can't be working on everyone each day). At the end of the day, they update, server downtime successful, check. Said bug fix complete/incomplete, check/minus. Bam end of sub thread for thay day. Oh, it would be locked, like server status.

This thread, which is very organized, gives people the ability to see that trion is indeed working, that things are being COMPLETED. If you go away from forums/game for a couple days you can simply come back and check on what they did on,example: may 3, may4. Wow, you just saw they fixed an issue you were having.

How would it be hard to maintain this? You say trions offices are helter skelter. Probably their dev. Offices. Don't kid yourself and think there isn't information on what was fixed each day, on what will be worked on before the next day starts. Sledge probably has that info, and he doesn't work as a developer(as much as I've gathered anyway). So he couldn't manage that? I mean he is the GLOBAL COMMUNITY MANAGER.

so how would this be a hard feat? How would this not be a better, more organized source of info? I'm sorry I didn't go into more detail on the thread itself, but I didn't want to lengthen my op as it seems people looking to read posts don't like to read long posts.

3rdpig
04-29-2013, 11:24 AM
If you're raging over a video game than the real problem is you, not the game or Trion. Grow up, mature and find better ways of handling the things that make you angry other than blowing a 50 amp fuse and pitching a fit. Because let me tell you, the real world is filled with things that will make you angry and raging at them will only cause you major grief. I know, I've struggled with this in my own life.

That being said, kudos to you, your post shows that you're learning. And much of what you mention I agree with.

HaZeY
04-29-2013, 11:33 AM
If you're raging over a video game than the real problem is you, not the game or Trion. Grow up, mature and find better ways of handling the things that make you angry other than blowing a 50 amp fuse and pitching a fit. Because let me tell you, the real world is filled with things that will make you angry and raging at them will only cause you major grief.

I'm not sure if you mean me, or the ragers. I am not raging, just trying to help calm it down.

Tryskell
04-29-2013, 11:58 AM
As said someone before me, Trion has to act rather than speaking. Lanterns updates are cool, but they don't fix any issue, any lack of content. That's only extra stuff.

If they think I will buy a DLC to get fixes, and the current game is "complete"... There will have a problem, and not only me, but thousands of others think the same.

People are angry for obvious reasons, and the notes are pretty poor (6/10 wherever you go) for obvious reasons.

Put some (correct) contents in order we shut our mouths, until that, bad reviews will continue. Game launch has been rushed, stop to deny the fact. Beta testers seem to made their jobs, Trion didn't listen them for some reports. Their problem to deal with it now.

The game is in exploitation, there is no possible excuse.

I guess the turning point will be season 2 anyway. Future will tell us.

Tgreen
04-29-2013, 12:03 PM
I apologize for giving info on myself. I ment that I understood about selling a product as trion is.

Don't apologize, I was trying to outline one possible reason why people would not reply to you since the foreword is the first thing everyone would read and it doesn't contain what the title promises. Obviously I read past it. : P

This thread I'm thinking up isn't a unorganized one. Simply everyday, they post a new sub thread with the date. They bulletin info, ehen server is expecting to go down, the bugs they are working on that day( as you said, there are numerous bugs, they can't be working on everyone each day). At the end of the day, they update, server downtime successful, check. Said bug fix complete/incomplete, check/minus. Bam end of sub thread for thay day. Oh, it would be locked, like server status.

I would not find it unthinkable that there are more than a few who take it upon them to then make even more comlaint threads once they know more specifics about any given issue that isn't fixed yet. And well, there's also a thread for what bugs are in the game where you can post your findings and the OP has a small summary, so in a way your vision already is partial reality.
Still not feeling any love for the specific downtime threads disappearing.
At the end of the week it wouldn't even matter on which day they did whatever. Maybe it is also just your day-to-day timeline that I find not all that practical.

How would it be hard to maintain this? You say trions offices are helter skelter. Probably their dev. Offices. Don't kid yourself and think there isn't information on what was fixed each day, on what will be worked on before the next day starts. Sledge probably has that info [...]

I never kid, especially not myself. It is more than certain that this information you speak off does exist for internal use where it is most valuable. I don't need that techspeak, let a lone understand it and for the rest I'd probably find it boring if I knew about it, once they fix one of the bugs you'll be able to read it in the next patch notes (that should, as we seem to agree, be transperent and easily accesible before each maintenance), but before that it really does not matter.
Maybe part of it, but everything would have to be reported which takes time that I'd rather see them grind their fingers to the bone on a keyboard and their eyes start bleeding from looking at code all day with no unnecessary interruptions.

I never said it would be impossible. I just think it unnecessary (other than the point where we agree on) and would take time that might be spend better otherwise.

That being said wasn't there a blogpost that had something like 'Part 2 inc, don't leave the screen unattended!' at the end with no sequel yet? Where the hell is that?

Which reminds me, is the blog such as it was maintained during the first days after launch what you are looking for?

EdgeTW
04-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Communication, interaction, and results are all that's needed to keep an MMO community happy. And the team is big enough to deliver all three.