PDA

View Full Version : Recommending Defiance

Murton
04-29-2013, 12:05 AM
So when I first got Defiance I was recommending it to a few friends of mine as something we could all play together and have some fun with, none of them have bought it yet and based on my time since release I've dropped my recommendation due to some rather dubious design decisions.

First of all is the seemingly random removal of content. Due to constraints on my free time I only completed one mission with Nolan and by the time I completed some of my other missions his next mission had disappeared from the game, I didn't notice this at the time but I've just learned that some emergency missions are about to be removed from the game today. So given that anyone coming to the game late can't experience all of its content it's really hard to maintain my recommendation on it.

Second is that no matter how hard you try you simply can't play this game with friends. Me and girlfriend formed a group thinking we could help each other with tough missions, wrong. We first tried at KTAM Radio, we were grouped and while her mission appeared on my screen the place was under E-Rep protection because I've already done that mission. Okay then, so we need to get on the same page, fair enough. She's struggling with Dogtown Mine, it's a tough mission so I caught up and we grouped for it only to be told we must disband our group before starting this solo mission. I've now done that mission but after a dozen attempts she's become frustrated and has simply stopped playing, and so she doesn't get spoilers for the rest of the story I've put it on hold too, which leads back to the first problem of content being removed.

So if a friend of mine was to get Defiance he'll be forced to play on his own. My character can't "go back" to play the earlier missions with him and if I create a new character my main will "lose out" when Trion next pull content that I didn't realise was time sensitive. Based on these two issues I simply can't recommend Defiance to anyone. It's seems to be a single player game which is being played by hundreds of people at the same time rather than any sort of multiplayer type affair and the prospect of missing out on content because I don't feel like playing on a given day or go on holiday doesn't exactly motivate me to invest too heavily into it myself.

It's a bit of a shame really because there's a lot of potential for a great game here. What are your thoughts? Are people who start late or take a break really missing out on anything when content it pulled? What is the solution to difficult missions or areas that you simply can't handle on your own if you can't get your friends to help out?

VenomedBlade
04-29-2013, 12:09 AM
I can understand where you are coming from...but you can help them through things you have already done (other than dungeons), you just dont have the markers. This is what i have done with some friends who picked up the game after me.

Kard
04-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Granted you can't do story mission dungeons like Dogtown together, but typically a lot of missions and side missions reset after you leave the area. If your friend/girlfriend's character vanishes but you're still in the open world all you have to do is select their name from the quick menu and select "go to friend" or "join phase," and you'll be able to go through missions over with them perfectly fine. The Episode missions are different from Story missions. Episode missions (the ones that are supposed to tie in with the show) are time-sensitive, but are rumored to to be brought back eventually. My guess is probably once the show has completed it's first season. The current Episode missions technically aren't even missions as such. They're pursuits that involve finding data recorders and participating in certain randomly spawning Emergency quests that appear in the open world that anyone can do as many times as they want. You just have to find them. And yes, the pursuits will be removed, likely after the new episode of the show airs tomorrow night, to be replaced by new content, but again, they are supposedly coming back.

Story missions are the core story of the game, and as such are not part of the content set to be pulled any time soon, if ever. Also the Story and Episode stuff, even though everything in Defiance is connected, seems to follow a separate narrative. None of the Episode content really had anything to do with the story, with the exception of you sharing a ship with Nolan and Irissa at the very beginning of the game. You can easily do the Episode content with your girlfriend even if she IS stuck at the Jackleg fight. You just need to know where to look.

Murton
04-29-2013, 01:45 AM
I had no idea about the join phase option, I guess that alleviates one issue as it means I could go back to do various open world missions/events to help friend that are new, thanks for that Kard.

So that just leaves the issue of whether or not the time sensitive stuff is adding anything of value. If it's purely cosmetics and some ego rank boosts then I suppose I'm okay with that though I'd like to finish the storyline with Nolan if it ever gets reinstated. Here's hoping that once Season 1 is done on TV they reinstate everything and allow us to work through it at our own pace.

I guess that leaves the instances. I can understand why they're solo from a balancing or even narrative perspective. I guess my girlfriend will either have to do what I did to kill Jackleg and cheap him out with an canker infector while avoiding that grenade launcher.

Cheers guys, I'm feeling a little more positive about my friend possibly getting the game.

dAcHrOnIc
04-29-2013, 02:08 AM
Jackleg was easy as pie, just did it an hour ago.
Secret is flash grenades.

When the fight starts bunker down in a corner behind some crates (I chose left corner) and work on the first round of baddies.
When the little fire guys come out, toss a flash and their fuel pack on their back explodes and they go running right at Joe, blow up and drop his shields for like 5 seconds.
I used overcharge with a purple VOT TAC assault rifle and poured an entire clip in to his face.

Once he gets down around half-life he'll jump down and shoot nades and try to hit you. Just bob and weave, stay on the move and empty your rounds into either his back or his face...both work equally well.
I have a friend who was stuck on that fight for 2 days until I told him to flash the little fire dudes, he went back and beat it on his first try!

As for the rest of your "complaint," you can help your GF with 99% of her missions even if you're ahead of her.
I'm EGO 700 and just beat Jackleg Joe and haven't even been to San Fran yet. I must've done the first 10 missions about 30 times with 30 different friends plus helped with side missions and Arkfalls.
I have several friends who tore through the main missions and completed the game and are still EGO 300-400!
The game isn't really that hard, just remember to stay mobile and use every weapon in your inventory.

For me it really helped not getting the PS3 patch right away. I farmed key codes all week and now have an impressive stock of tier 3/4 weapons and shields to use and that allows me a ton of diversity in my play style.

LaZyPaTeL
04-29-2013, 02:09 AM
I had no idea about the join phase option, I guess that alleviates one issue as it means I could go back to do various open world missions/events to help friend that are new, thanks for that Kard.

So that just leaves the issue of whether or not the time sensitive stuff is adding anything of value. If it's purely cosmetics and some ego rank boosts then I suppose I'm okay with that though I'd like to finish the storyline with Nolan if it ever gets reinstated. Here's hoping that once Season 1 is done on TV they reinstate everything and allow us to work through it at our own pace.

I guess that leaves the instances. I can understand why they're solo from a balancing or even narrative perspective. I guess my girlfriend will either have to do what I did to kill Jackleg and cheap him out with an canker infector while avoiding that grenade launcher.

Cheers guys, I'm feeling a little more positive about my friend possibly getting the game.

If I remember correctly, the only thing you really get from the first few Episode missions (other than experience obviously) is a decent purple assault rifle. Nothing that amazing.

Murton
05-01-2013, 12:28 AM
Jackleg was easy as pie

I agree, but then I've been playing games for 26 years and find most action games easy, excessively so in most cases. For a non-seasoned gamer who up until that point could simply "shoot stuff" and get by having a battle that suddenly requires a specific strategy is a challenge for her. For example I noticed from the cut-scene that I was obviously supposed to ignite the packs and then shoot Jackleg when his shield went down, my girlfriend not having that sort of gaming experience didn't realise this. Then when Jackleg jumped down I quickly realised that there simply isn't enough time for me to do any measurable damage to him while avoiding his GL, so I switched to my high DoT infector and went run and gun. Easy for me because I have that experience and was equipped for it, when you don't have that experience or equipment it can be a struggle, so she asked for me to get to that mission so we could do it together only to find that this isn't allowed.

She'll get the mission done eventually, but the realisation that we can't play together in any meaningful way has reduced our interest somewhat, it feels more like a single player that is being played by a couple hundred people at the same time. Our previous MMO experiences have been a lot more social with teamplay being very heavily encouraged, in Defiance there are just too many barriers as the game simply wasn't designed that way.

hYp
05-01-2013, 02:31 AM
i play in groups all the time 4ppl we have no problems yea some misson u have to do solo but thats the fun of it to not everything can be easy also there are the 7co-op maps and u run threw all those places as a group andafter the storey is all over you go with your group an do arkfalls and all the other side missions that are EVERYWHERE as you drive around , there is tons of replat valvue on this game an i stem from mmo diablo2/3 an i like this game alot on ps3