PDA

View Full Version : The Nim fight is terrible

RogueSatyr
04-29-2013, 01:46 AM
In no way have I been trained as a player to deal with this fight. #faildesign

Cl Chaos
04-29-2013, 01:49 AM
lol y do ppl fail at this? Nim was easy i beat him using a shotgun, Diablo SMG, firebombs and Blur

LordRaymond
04-29-2013, 01:51 AM
I thought it was pretty cool boss fight. Took me multiple times to beat it while raging the whole time. :p

Schwa
04-29-2013, 01:55 AM

This is actually a pretty fair assessment of the fight. Nowhere else in PVE is it necessary to even consider your perk loadout or which weapons you're bringing. Everywhere else, you can bring whatever you like and complete it with a gold star and a pat on the back. Even if what you bring is ****.

Nim isn't nearly as hard as he seems your first time clearing him, but the abrupt jump in difficulty from the laughable co-op missions and equally trivial storyline missions (none of which requires consideration of loadouts) to the Nim fight isn't good progression. Some of the other stuff needs to be brought up so he isn't quite the shock to first-timers.

On second thought, it seems like Nim might be one of the few well-designed fights in the game. It's the other stuff that has the poor design.

Anderson
04-29-2013, 01:57 AM
I think the problem with Nim is the crazy jump in difficulty from the rest of the game to that fight. It's like the game is set on "Casual" most of the way through, and then it switches to "Hardcore" all of a sudden at the end.

I had never really been forced to branch out and learn how to take full advantage of the skills and equipment available, so then when I got to Nim I was in no way prepared and the fight was super frustrating and I abandoned it after an hour.

Then I went online and read up on how to beat him. I got a BMG and it was trivial.

Thing was, I had never used BMGs at all up until that point. From reading the description they sounded dumb, and I was able to coast by fine through 95% of the game without one.

So naturally when I got dumped into this crazy boss fight I was in no way prepared to deal with him.

Clown
04-29-2013, 01:57 AM
Why do people find this so hard? Equip your favorite shotgun and go to town. Course I won't tell you how to play that is just what I did. Just keep your eye on him during his first part, then on the second part shotgun anyone that comes close to you, a good shotgun should kill clones in one shot at the most two. Third phase, hug a pillar.

Observe a little. He has patterns.

Panthan
04-29-2013, 01:59 AM
I dunno what game the OP has been playing but the game made me avoid getting hit, not to catch bullets with my head, not to stand in stupid, use the terain to avoid getting hit by multiple targets not to mention forcing opponants to bottleneck as much as posible.
The game does train you, its a tad tougher fight but by using a super [ego] power called common sense the fight is very very doable.

Cl Chaos
04-29-2013, 02:11 AM
I dunno what game the OP has been playing but the game made me avoid getting hit, not to catch bullets with my head, not to stand in stupid, use the terain to avoid getting hit by multiple targets not to mention forcing opponants to bottleneck as much as posible.
The game does train you, its a tad tougher fight but by using a super [ego] power called common sense the fight is very very doable.

hahaha right? best EGO power ever too bad ppl didn't level it up or unlock it

DamianThorn
04-29-2013, 02:17 AM
"fail design"....LMFAO....are you serious?? I was expecting Nim to be this crazy hard final fight (based on threads here),so going in I was preparing to die multiple times.

As it turned out,I didn't die once....I thought he was incredibly easy,I used an assault rifle,BMG and for EGO I had overload (which I only used 3 times)....didn't even have to use any grenades.

So yea....that's what I would call a "fail design"....LMAO,if anything,he should've been harder.

Neralyte
04-29-2013, 02:19 AM
Zelda: Ocarina of Time was hilariously easy content through the majority of the game, and then abruptly slaps you in the face with a few of the bosses, most notably Ganondorf at the end. This is hailed as one of the best RPGs of all time by a vast number of people.

There have been plenty of other games that had hard bosses. What's the problem? I found the fight good fun, and a little nostalgic without the feeling of the being dated.

And to top things off, this is the beginning of the story in the game, there will be more content, more story and more boss encounters. Why the need to change it? sure, I wouldn't say no to making the rest of the content just as hard, but I think then we'll have a larger majority of players that feel the game is to unforgiving. Learn the fights and they become pretty standard boss affair.

EvilWaterman
04-29-2013, 02:19 AM
I thought it was pretty cool boss fight. Took me multiple times to beat it while raging the whole time. :p

This x 1000

Man With No Name
04-29-2013, 02:36 AM
http://images.pictureshunt.com/pics/s/sad_eeyore-4821.jpg

Panthan
04-29-2013, 02:45 AM
"fail design"....LMFAO....are you serious?? I was expecting Nim to be this crazy hard final fight (based on threads here),so going in I was preparing to die multiple times.

As it turned out,I didn't die once....I thought he was incredibly easy,I used an assault rifle,BMG and for EGO I had overload (which I only used 3 times)....didn't even have to use any grenades.

So yea....that's what I would call a "fail design"....LMAO,if anything,he should've been harder.

Same here, I was pleasantly suprised it wasnt a faceroll encounter.

Then again Im guessing you, just like I did maxed out the common sense ego power and equiped it.

Cl Chaos
04-29-2013, 02:47 AM
The Nim fight was way to easy when u get his pattern like all bosses >< i felt no triumph beating him ><

Anderson
04-29-2013, 02:51 AM
The Nim fight was way to easy when u get his pattern like all bosses >< i felt no triumph beating him ><
Yeah, that's the other problem with Nim, is that when you finally do bring the right loadout to beat him, the fight is just incredibly long and monotonous.

So basically no matter what, the Nim fight is going to suck.

Either you have the wrong loadout and he's unbeatable, or you have the right loadout and he's just boring and stupid.

Neptonius
04-29-2013, 02:55 AM
He is just Boring and it's really stupid fight, im glad im not doing the story one more time lol

Strahd
04-29-2013, 03:20 AM
No disrespect intended by this post but honestly the Nim fight isn't to hard at all. I'm not going to get into symantics regarding learning his pattern or what "deh most uber/1337 zomg loadout" is for the fight however, I will say being a gamer that remembers the "zombie-like" state induced by playing Pong (there ya go, showed my age haha) a challenging "final" boss fight is a welcomed situation far lacking in games these days. No, I did not beat Nim the first, second or third time...hell I don't remember how many times I fought him. As stated in a previous post, I was raging big time by the time I did beat it. All in all, you as a player were warned via several cs's leading up to the fight that "Nim's got an overpowered EGO" and he isn't scared to show off how overpowered his "blur" is lol. I don't understand why all the complaining over a challenge.

"every village needs an idiot...so where do I sign up?"
PSN: Double-Awt

loken
04-29-2013, 03:23 AM

every other boss fight from any other game was harder than this one

Cl Chaos
04-29-2013, 03:27 AM
idk Super Mario world castle #1 was pretty easy lol nim was almost as easy

loken
04-29-2013, 03:34 AM
idk Super Mario world castle #1 was pretty easy lol nim was almost as easy

that kinda my point, having grown up on Atari, Nintendo,Genesis you learn to deal with a bazillion things to dodge and keep track of in those side scrolling space, and platforms games so a boss fight is a cake walk, but i guess if you only play todays FPS PVP games you don't have thing "training" to deal with it

Dwane
04-29-2013, 03:38 AM
Every single oldschool gamer find Nim pretty easy boss. Its todays consoloidcasuality plague that makes him hard for certain players.

Cl Chaos
04-29-2013, 03:55 AM
that kinda my point, having grown up on Atari, Nintendo,Genesis you learn to deal with a bazillion things to dodge and keep track of in those side scrolling space, and platforms games so a boss fight is a cake walk, but i guess if you only play todays FPS PVP games you don't have thing "training" to deal with it

ya i know point and shot prey and spray same shtako different pile but what can u do besides give the ppl who have a hard time doing something as easy as tying you're shoe a hard time

MirrorStream
04-29-2013, 04:13 AM
It seems more to be #failskill

MirrorStream
04-29-2013, 04:14 AM
This is actually a pretty fair assessment of the fight. Nowhere else in PVE is it necessary to even consider your perk loadout or which weapons you're bringing. Everywhere else, you can bring whatever you like and complete it with a gold star and a pat on the back. Even if what you bring is ****.

You can beat him with any perks and weapons loadout

MirrorStream
04-29-2013, 04:17 AM
I think the problem with Nim is the crazy jump in difficulty from the rest of the game to that fight.

The problem with Nim and Joe is that they are only places where players death has some negative effect instead of ridiculuos 180 scrip fee.

Tandor 64
04-29-2013, 04:30 AM
Put your big boys pants on....it's not that bad!

Ninno20
04-29-2013, 04:31 AM
I died once, learned his patterns then slapped him upside his head. But then again, iv always tried to get the most out of my build as possible since the start.

Oceanhawk
04-29-2013, 04:47 AM
What I find funny is that people fail to point out that this is a single player fight in a game that is touted as a MMO, as in multiple people. Doesn't anyone else find that to be a strange design decision?

Rudal
04-29-2013, 04:53 AM
Quite boring fight.
I took him diwn with pump shot gun and wolverine pistol while regenerating my shield with cloak + perks.

Ninno20
04-29-2013, 04:55 AM
What I find funny is that people fail to point out that this is a single player fight in a game that is touted as a MMO, as in multiple people. Doesn't anyone else find that to be a strange design decision?

So your saying an MMO shouldn't have a single player mission? Really? didn't know MMO's have been doing it wrong all these years....

Lyokira
04-29-2013, 05:04 AM
So your saying an MMO shouldn't have a single player mission? Really? didn't know MMO's have been doing it wrong all these years....

In a sense, yes. And no, most MMOs in the past don't have exclusively single player missions (save for tutorials, which doesn't count, since most MMOs lets you skip those too). Not counting missions which for all intents and purposes is single player, but you're still in a multiplayer worldspace.

Oceanhawk
04-29-2013, 05:20 AM

Nope not saying that at all. But in this case the entire storyline is single player and since that is the only real content in the game currently I find it a strange design decision. Is it wrong? No not necessarily but there should be something else too.

Mavor
04-29-2013, 05:21 AM
Yay!! Another whiny thread about Nim! *hands out cookies*

Man, gamers these days are a sad shadow of what they used to be...

Combo Breaker
04-29-2013, 05:23 AM
I found he was on par for an end level boss. The forum help makes him easier to beat.

Dwane
04-29-2013, 05:47 AM
Yay!! Another whiny thread about Nim! *hands out cookies*

Man, gamers these days are a sad shadow of what they used to be...

Developers did that, mass spread of consoles leads them to strong emphasis on casuals as they are biggest source of cash for them.

Shismar
04-29-2013, 05:55 AM
The fight is very hard for some players and because there is no pausing to reconfigure your perks and loadout, can be very frustrating. So yes, I think it is a badly designed fight.

Also, if you have a bad ping or some other source of lag, cover does not work well any more and Nim happily AoEs you to death.

My hints are to use a fast reloading shield, make sure the roll movement is on a well accessible key (not on Alt as for PC defaults) and any low/medium range weapon with decent damage. Thick skin, Fortitude and some other perks help too.

Bopbarker
04-29-2013, 06:03 AM
You don't need perks or ego abilities to beat this guy. It is very easy to pick up on the pattern that he does. If it is too hard for you just use a BMG.

I just used a combat shotgun the whole fight. Dodge is your friend.

Dwane
04-29-2013, 06:03 AM
The fight is very hard for some players and because there is no pausing to reconfigure your perks and loadout, can be very frustrating. So yes, I think it is a badly designed fight.

So cuz u cant pause game in middle of final combat, its badly designed? This is how MMOs works, u cant pause whole world...

I just used a combat shotgun the whole fight. Dodge is your friend.

Dodge or any defensive maneuvers isnt big part in todeays games so younglings are not used to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji88FmxemAs

Draaconis
04-29-2013, 06:05 AM
Everyone seems to be having issues with the "Move you *&^% feet" aspect of fighting Nim.

Corbin Zain
04-29-2013, 06:08 AM

Nim isn't nearly as hard as he seems your first time clearing him, but the abrupt jump in difficulty from the laughable co-op missions and equally trivial storyline missions (none of which requires consideration of loadouts) to the Nim fight isn't good progression. Some of the other stuff needs to be brought up so he isn't quite the shock to first-timers.

On second thought, it seems like Nim might be one of the few well-designed fights in the game. It's the other stuff that has the poor design.

It took me a few tries to beat each tier of Nim but I liked it. whooped him with well timed manual detonator shots.

loken
04-29-2013, 06:09 AM
the fight is very hard for some players and because there is no pausing to reconfigure your perks and loadout, can be very frustrating. So yes, i think it is a badly designed fight.

Also, if you have a bad ping or some other source of lag, cover does not work well any more and nim happily aoes you to death.

My hints are to use a fast reloading shield, make sure the roll movement is on a well accessible key (not on alt as for pc defaults) and any low/medium range weapon with decent damage. Thick skin, fortitude and some other perks help too.

up up down down left right left right b a select start

Bordaf
04-29-2013, 06:22 AM
Keep nim as he is, let the whiners get better.. nim fight looked great and shouldnt be changed, i really see no reason to fail else than personal skill here.

The only tip i can give you is that you study the mobs pattern and dodge then focus on attack, not the other way around, its how it works on any decently hard solo boss fight you'll encounter in most game.

Ticon
04-29-2013, 06:24 AM
great villain.

excellent cut scene on bridge. introducing Nim.

Descent fight. = 'Fail' Phases. 3x?/ really?...3?

felt like a 1980's arcade game.

Bopbarker
04-29-2013, 06:28 AM
Dodge or any defensive maneuvers isnt big part in todeays games so younglings are not used to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji88FmxemAs

I agree. The hardest thing I've played in awhile was Metal Gear Rising with its parry system, and it wasn't that hard to learn.

Facade
04-29-2013, 06:40 AM
The way people made this fight out to be on here I thought I was going to get repeatedly ROFLStomped and go broke. Instead I died once (due to my own fault not paying attention during P1 while he was zipping around) and then killed him my next go. The entire 2nd and 3rd phase is mainly nothing but pillar humping and picking off clones, be it on the roof or just firing across the map before they even made it to my side of the area.

Whitenoise
04-29-2013, 06:41 AM

+1 This is pretty much what I said during the Alpha test.

Tgreen
04-29-2013, 06:49 AM
Everyone seems to be having issues with the "Move you *&^% feet" aspect of fighting Nim.

Yeah ... being lazy is the shortest way to being bad.
It's virtually impossible to design challenging content if you have to account for people who just can't seem to be bothered to move or think or even do both at the same time.

u cant pause whole world...

That would be awesome though! =>

Reddd
04-29-2013, 06:55 AM
Slow-firing weapons make this fight more difficult than it could be. It becomes ridiculously easy if you switch a fast-firing weapon like the SMG.

The fail in the design is not the difficulty scaling but the overused "kill boss 3x (while he magically learns new powers and abilities with each reincarnation) to advance" mechanic.

chrismeyer34
04-29-2013, 07:20 AM
Every single oldschool gamer find Nim pretty easy boss. Its todays consoloidcasuality plague that makes him hard for certain players.

agreed, im a big fan of boss fights, i love the ability to have to think when in a boss fight...i cant stand people who want things handed to them in a game...my words " WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD OF GAMING WHERE YOU HAVE TO THINK AND NOT HAVE YOUR HAND HELD!!!!! "...he needs to solo all his missions, side missions, then when he gets to nim, he'll have less of a issue with nim's difficulty...im a soloist ( which unfortunately this game seems more solo than an mmo due to lack of chat so i came already prepared lol ) so i dont think nim will be an issue...when someone complains about a boss being " too hard ", that makes my ears perk up and i get excited, it means ima have fun with that boss, even if they make me rage lmao

chrismeyer34
04-29-2013, 07:22 AM
up up down down left right left right b a select start

hey thats the 30 extra lives for contra lmao...good to see some people still remember that cheat code lmao

loken
04-29-2013, 07:27 AM
hey thats the 30 extra lives for contra lmao...good to see some people still remember that cheat code lmao

ah the good old days

chrismeyer34
04-29-2013, 07:39 AM
ah the good old days

yep...lol man i used to play that game over and over, loved the music and the end boss...people want to talk about how hard nim is?...let them play the end boss on contra, cuz without the 30 lives code if you die, then you have to start the whole game all over again lol...gamers today have it WAAAAAAAAY to easy

BLunted
04-29-2013, 07:44 AM
I died a couple times, but overall the fight was boring. I used the BMG the entire time and was pretty easy, but long.

Groone
04-29-2013, 07:46 AM
I used a lobber and lobbed him to death. Was easy once I became familiar with him.

rextab
04-29-2013, 07:58 AM
I've seen a lot of posts about Nim. I thought I'd weigh in.
I am not of the opinion of "omg he is so friggin easy you noobz" and I don't think he's the hardest boss ever.
I think the jump of difficulty though is a bit jarring and unexpected though.
Also most that say they beat him on the first go, unless they looked up strategy before fighting him, I don't see how you could trial and error him on the first attempt and succeed.
He has a very easy to recognize pattern once you see it, but until you do he will probably kill you. If you are out of position one time in his teleport slam he will teleport again and kill you before you can get cover.
My suggestions are just as others have said here.
Bmg is your friend here. Almost a necessity. No shame in healing :)
Also weapons with burn effects work well to add a dot to him during times you have to take cover.
Other than that just play the cat and mouse game around the pillars and he's pretty easy to outlast.

Kiiper
04-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Zelda: Ocarina of Time was hilariously easy content through the majority of the game, and then abruptly slaps you in the face with a few of the bosses, most notably Ganondorf at the end.
I really hope you're counting the water temple (barring the boss) in that minority. Also Ganondorf wasn't hard at all, I was kinda disappointed playing it as a kid that all I had to do was play tennis for a bit, then roll through his legs a few times.

Regardless, Nim was a nice change of pace, Something to make the casuals wet their pants a bit, and something for the normal players to have a bit of fun with. The content in general really needs a bit of a rise in difficulty, I'm kinda getting tired of one-two shotting every normal enemy with two pistol crits :(.

For reference: Beat Nim with a looting and ammo skill build, overcharge, a HP-6 pistol unmodded, Nolan's assault rifle and a white rhino shield.

Hawkler
04-29-2013, 08:21 AM
The fight is long and drawn out. Once you figure out the pattern, quite boring. I used a shotgun and carried a BMG that I used maybe 3 times. Just lots of run, dodge, shoot, run, dodge, dodge, shoot, dodge, run... .....

sorry started to doze off there thinking about it.

Ciannon
04-29-2013, 08:24 AM

I thought it was fun. Took me about 15 tries, but I felt supid once I completed it, because I should have been able to do it in one or two.

Viibl
04-29-2013, 08:25 AM

Can you sprint? Can you shoot? Then you're prepared for this fight.

Stop being such a quitter.

Dwane
04-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Can you sprint? Can you shoot? Then you're prepared for this fight.

Stop being such a quitter.

Actually bunnyjumping is best friend there as u can easily avoid like 80% of his attacks.

Caddap
04-29-2013, 09:01 AM
Use cloak, gg. Nim has got the be the easiest boss I've ever fought, killing a Raider Tanker is more difficult.

soarra
04-29-2013, 09:13 AM
You can beat him with any perks and weapons loadout

agreed, i beat him first time with a defensive load out, then the second play through with an overload setup.
shotgun and pistol , respark regen shield.. hes a joke

loken
04-29-2013, 09:46 AM
unless they looked up strategy before fighting him, I don't see how you could trial and error him on the first attempt and succeed.

There's no need look anything up if your an experienced gamer(having only played FPS Multiplayer games don't count), Nim is all about cheesy moves as with most boss fights. a fast shield(respark/Rebel 3sec), good weapon with explosive damage (cluster shotgun) and knowing how to dodge and patience is all you need to beat him.

Vault Dweller
04-29-2013, 09:47 AM

Lol hashtags... #areforidiots

LagaLaga
04-29-2013, 09:48 AM
... this is an incredible easy fight, didn't died once...

Shada Mori
04-29-2013, 09:54 AM
This last time (Including alpha my sixth time taking him on) .. I beat him with blur and a sawn off shotgun. Its all about timing.

6Strummer
04-29-2013, 10:00 AM

I guess you haven't been gaming very long then. It's a classic boss fight. Classic in the sense of being a pretty basic design, not classic as in one of the best ever.

BubbaKeg
04-29-2013, 10:00 AM
This fight is difficult depending on your play level.

I cleared him first time no troubles. My friends on the other hand have still yet to clear him. The difference is our comfort in playing games, and our ability to predict patterns. Playing as many games as I have, its easy to quickly spot patterns. Thus, Nim was incredibly easy for me, as he is all pattern based.

Just keep at it. This fight is NOT hard nor is it misplaced. I just hope they don't shy away from making more bosses extremely difficult with a learning curve. This was by far the MOST ENJOYABLE fight in Defiance. Having cleared all the PvE content, I want more NIM fights, less Hulkers.

Jack Johnson
04-29-2013, 10:05 AM
I agree. The hardest thing I've played in awhile was Metal Gear Rising with its parry system, and it wasn't that hard to learn.

Speaking of Metal Gear Rising... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvhM3cRJroM)

FizzyMyNizzy
04-29-2013, 10:21 AM

... But.. I beat him twice. It isn't that hard. You might die couple of times. Still beatable.

Are people that spoiled these days? If you can't beat it the first time. People just come to the forums and say the boss is too hard and want a nerf.

Looks at this game:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q1XdsrDINE
You have to dodge ever bullet by the hair.

Remember Contra on the NES. You only have couple of lives to beat the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWMyoNhGHbk
What is this shield you talking about. What is this Hit Points(HP) you are talking about. 1 shot you are dead. In video game history. Games has gotten easier not harder.

Eli Rose
04-29-2013, 10:27 AM
By the time I got to Nim around 400 ego or so, I had two Ego powers unlocked. I didnt consult the interwebs I just went in. I beat him with a Ground Pounder and a Saw. It doesnt matter what guns you use. It matters how you kite him. And yes the game DID prepare you for this. When people complain about his difficulty it makes me think they coasted by the CO-OPs and quests letting everyone else do the work.

Archangel
04-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Im almost to Nim on my second run through of the main mission line. Im setting ym challenge to beat him solely with melee attacks.

His clones and everything else i plan to shoot but for Nim im only going to punch and duck.

I expect the fight to take forever but i want to see if its possible to melee him to death.

Im collecting the gear and skill research to increase melee dmg while reducing damage received. Should be a fun fight.

I dont expect to get far right away, i need to find a way to record my attempts to be able to show people what i come up with.

Any recommendations for a free video recording software that would work well?

Jack Johnson
04-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Looks at this game:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q1XdsrDINE
You have to dodge ever bullet by the hair.

That kind of supports what you quoted though. Bullet hell games usually train you to deal with increasingly more absurd situations, and the last boss is simply just ramping it up.

I would say Megaman is probably a classic example of how having a boss battle you're not used to dealing with is completely fine. When you get to the dragon boss in Megaman 2, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoGYSvpJeII) the game had actually trained you completely the opposite way, to expect a set of double doors before you got to a boss battle, so this was a giant shock when it just appeared out of nowhere and starting chasing you.

Anderson
04-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Old school games were just hard to give the illusion of a long game.

Jack Johnson
04-29-2013, 10:40 AM

Some of them were. I would say that not every old school game relied on that though.

abakai
04-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Just did Nim for the second time. I don't personally find him hard but I do find him tedious. I feel so drained after fighting him because it is such I dull fight.

Orbital
04-29-2013, 10:51 AM

Try using perks to increase your durability and movement if possible, also use a BMG with the extended range, I died once in the 3rd phase on accident but used self-res and finished fine last night. You have to pay attention but if you get the strat down its not really that hard.

Dwane
04-29-2013, 10:55 AM

And thats bad? Also its not entirely true. Many "hard" aspects were just players laziness (like drawing maps, skipping dialogs...). I would like to see how our younglings could handle games like Wizardry 7 (decent graphic and still playable on win7 with dosbox) without any guide/walkthrought.

eyanvenom
04-29-2013, 11:00 AM
Use an Infector when he's far (even when he's invincible) and blast him with a Shotty when he gets close.

Problem solved.