PDA

View Full Version : Use of rockets?

Muffins
04-29-2013, 05:02 AM
I like explosives but I can't find myself enjoying Rockets. The only useful rocket I find is the one that splits into 5 and I'm not too fond of individual reload, individual reloads usually turn me off except some shotguns with increased reload boost.

Though a lot of detonators reload an entire 6 or so mag in one go, and one or more grenades (not a full reload) even faster.

Is there a use for rockets? Since the removal of Mags to a rocket, the ones that seem plausible no longer apply to being effective, and the ones you need to detonate aren't that much in terms of greatness since you have to wait for travel time.

The ground pounder just plain seems like the best option since you can get 3 to 5 and it splits into 3x each at a single burst, especially if the fire rate is superb.

Is this a preference thing or are rockets somewhat obsolete?

Galactimus
04-29-2013, 05:15 AM
Mass Cannon (the one that splits into four in mid-air) is one of the strongest weapons in the game. In certain coop's it even surpasses LMG users. The individual reload is what makes this gun so great. For example take a look at the following skills:

Pumped Up: Fully reloading a weapon (0 ammo left in clip) recharges your EGO power by 15%. In other words every single shot you fire regenerates your EGO. In 6 (or less) shots your EGO power is fully recharged again. Keep in mind with the right set up you can reload almost every single second.

Time Out: Fully reloading a weapon increases the duration of your EGO power by 9%. AND Explosive Onslaught: Explosive kills increase the duration of your EGO power by 9%. These two abilities allow your Overcharge to last forever. Literally. Every shot is increasing your EGO duration by 9-27%+. You'll most likely run out of ammo before your Overcharge runs out. But if your aim is good, and you tag enough enemies, your ammo won't run out either. And you are dealing 30% more damage with Overcharge. You can last an entire minor Arkfall without overcharge running out.

Overload: While Overcharge is active you reload 30% faster. Since Overcharge is almost always active with this build this ability remains active as well. You slap on a x0.85 reload mod, and find a Mass Cannon with 0.90 reload on it and you are firing shots every single second. In fact you reload faster then you can detonate your rockets. It's insane.

Then there are plenty of other explosive perks to choose such as your Grenade being recharged by 30% per explosive kill, dealing 30% more damage if multiple enemies are hit by the same explosion, reduce the range you get hit by explosions by 45% etc. Combine with a Ground Pounder to take full advantage of the entire explosives set up and use a 2000 min damage Frag grenade.

Even without all of these abilities if you fire a Mass Cannon shot at the beginning of a fight then hit Overcharge and fire a second shot immediately after not much is left standing anyways. Of course you have to master its aiming mechanics. For humanoids you need to detonate an inch 'above' their head and get use to the travel time of the rocket so they get hit by all 4 rockets. For hellbugs you can pretty much fire straight up into the air and let God sort them out. The +0.60 full damage radius mod really helps with the AoE madness as well. Groups of mobs that sometimes pose a challenge with firearms are wiped out in three seconds with a Mass Cannon. It also ignores hellbug armor, wipes out raiders with the giant shields, can fire on enemies behind cover, and can hit dark matter enemies using energy shields.

Galactimus
04-29-2013, 07:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR2jakK2vc0&feature=youtube_gdata

Here's a video I made of the weapon in action. Keep an eye on the Overcharge icon and how the duration keeps refilling itself when I reload or get a kill. It's quite an awesome weapon.

RoG Goat
04-29-2013, 07:37 AM
Without taking advantage of perks, rockets are a waste of time.

Shinji Ex
04-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Certain enemies the rocket launchers come in handy

Lethaltyrant
04-29-2013, 07:40 AM
I use an LMG with overcharge all the time I am going to have to try that load out on the perks i like the sound of it. Seems like infinite Overcharge!!

Alcohol Fueled Brewtality
04-29-2013, 07:41 AM
Mass Cannon (the one that splits into four in mid-air) is one of the strongest weapons in the game. In certain coop's it even surpasses LMG users. The individual reload is what makes this gun so great. For example take a look at the following skills:

Too bad VOT Mass Cannons are bugged currently and do not give any weapon EXP when used. If you want to level the skill you are forced to use one of the many gimp variants.

RoG Goat
04-29-2013, 07:43 AM
Too bad VOT Mass Cannons are bugged currently and do not give any weapon EXP when used. If you want to level the skill you are forced to use one of the many gimp variants.

Swarm cannon/rebounder cannon seem to be fitting replacements

Alcohol Fueled Brewtality
04-29-2013, 07:47 AM
I've been trying to gather them, but you're not always that lucky. Then you get stuck with the horrible "single target" ones. They do just a bit more than one SAW round per hit. Worthless.

Galactimus
04-29-2013, 03:06 PM
The trade forum might be able to help you out. You can purchase just about anything you want (with scrip) if you have enough patience to dive into that multi-region, multi-platform, Trade Forum topic mess (^_^)b

ratt707
04-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Mad bomber and shock trooper give some instant reload / nade cool down on explosive kills.

Add deadly cascade to boost your dam significantly. I usually go with blast shield for some survivability.

Using these perks you can get around the painful reload time and keep up a steady rate of fire while thinning out the mobs. Great for low to med hp mobs. But that's already 4 perks, so you kinda have to dedicate your load out to explosives.

Against anything with a lot of hp, like most elites, I don't find rockets that useful. Unless they are in groups, in which deadly cascade will up your DAM to a decent output.

Sludge rocket RL can actually have a lot of utility when playing in a group and helps you keep enemies in groups as you go for multi kills. Pretty low dam, but you also get some DOT and some movement rebuff.

Denim Samurai
04-29-2013, 04:05 PM
mass cannons are good because their damage is a fixed amount. That means on heavily armored enemies like hellbug warriors and raider tankers you will always deal normal damage.

aRtFuL
04-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Mass Cannon (the one that splits into four in mid-air) is one of the strongest weapons in the game. In certain coop's it even surpasses LMG users. The individual reload is what makes this gun so great.

LMGs is not the strongest weap in coop. By far Semi-auto Heavy Assault Carbine is the much stronger weapon (more consistent accuracy, more damage per bullet, same fire rate but accurate on EVERY SINGLE SHOT).

It is only annoying to some users because you have to keep clicking all the time.

However in terms of raw power I think it is THE strongest. Mass Cannon is probably just behind that (because it is not direct accurate damage, it is area damage) However Mass is probably much better at clearing trash mobs.