PDA

View Full Version : Major arkfall kill numbers

quietscribe
04-29-2013, 07:44 AM
I have been working on trying to get the goal for the kills in major arkfalls, but I came across a strange thing when it came to the kill count on the scoreboard.

I spent the entire arkfall killing as many of the mobs, or at least tagging them, where I could. I got, according to the list, 13 as there simply were not that many mobs spawning in this one and it was done pretty fast since it was during the day.

However on the scoreboard someone else got over 50 kills. How? There simply were not 50 mobs at that arkfall, and mobs from the smaller ones before didn't count. I don't see how they could get 50 kills. Can someone enlighten me?

Era
04-29-2013, 07:52 AM
It's simple, you're mistaken. If you register your score in an arkfall by taking any action in the minor or major arkfall areas then any damage, kills, or revives you perform in the greater arkfall area (giant circle the major and minors spawn in) will contribute to your scores (retroactively, btw). Been like this for a while now.

For the record my personal best is 338 kills, though you could likely get much more if a longer arkfall happened to spawn over a rampage or the skitterling killfarm while you were killfarming.

quietscribe
04-29-2013, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the reply.
So the 'kills' listed, doesn't actually mean 'number of things you killed' but 'how active you were in this arkfall'?

It still seems a bit odd how little I got though, as I saw the arkfall from beginning to end, including several minor arkfalls before the main one. I don't think I will be seeing this achievement any time soon.

Draaconis
04-29-2013, 08:04 AM
I have noticed that if you have to go outside of the Ark Fall to reload at any point during the battle, everything resets also. I had this happen to me once during a 99ers "arm" fall. I sent out close to the end to reload and wound up doing 20K damage. It was very annoying.

Era
04-29-2013, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the reply.
So the 'kills' listed, doesn't actually mean 'number of things you killed' but 'how active you were in this arkfall'?

No, it means the number of things you killed. The number reflects your total kills for the greater circle however, not simply the major and minor arkfalls within the arkfall area.

It still seems a bit odd how little I got though, as I saw the arkfall from beginning to end, including several minor arkfalls before the main one. I don't think I will be seeing this achievement any time soon.

The score can occasionally be bugged or reset under certain conditions (I think leaving the arkfall area does so). As for the "achievement" I believe you are referring to the 2500 major arkfall kills and I'd like to point out that that is a cumulative counter across multiple major arkfalls, but it is bugged to reset under certain conditions (I've heard scrapper, matron, or the first arkfall from Mount Tam may cause the reset as well as changing phase but I honestly don't know which if any it is).

My advice to you if you want the kills is to get the truck and just roll around squashing skitterlings at ABANDONED minors leading up to majors while avoiding...I'm gonna say the first major from mount tam and scrapper arkfalls since I did change phase and do a matron during my 2500.

Epshiluss
04-29-2013, 08:32 AM
I killed 1587 enemy's in the span of 11 major ark falls in 1 sitting, was planning to get to 2500. I knew that there was a bug that made the kill counts drop drastically, but this only happens when you log out and back on from my experience. Was reaching the 2000 kill mark when I got disconnected because of a error to server. After logging back in I found out my kill count dropped from 1850, to 145.... That was a whole waste of a day.

Makes me want to kill skittering with my truck during ark falls now.

quietscribe
04-29-2013, 08:38 AM
I just did another arkfall, changing tactic again and doing as much damage as possible. Still only got 15 kills. My score did get reset a couple of times before that I noticed, don't know why... .. ARGH!! It just reset my score again!! I am back down to 55 kills!!! *rage*

I am perhaps feeling more than a bit thick today, and I apologize for that, but I am not sure I understand your guidance for getting the major arkfall kills.

How would killing skitterlings in the small abandoned arkfalls that lead up to the major help me get kill count for the major? Killing them in a red crystal arkfall stops you progressing to complete the arkfall (and therefore stops you getting the main one if you cant complete the small ones). You might have to explain it like I was 5 years old .. a stupid 5 year old.

Tayce
04-29-2013, 08:41 AM
I stopped doing Scrapper arkfalls (even though they're the most fun) and haven't had a reset since.
Getting close to Arkhunting III pursuit now.

Tgreen
04-29-2013, 08:41 AM
I can confirm that you'll have to stick to all Hellbug Arkfalls (incl. Matron) and there is a slight possibility that changing phases resets the kill counter.
About Mt Tam I cannot say, maybe I randomly didn't do the Arkfall there.

And I was about to type juicy post before I read 'abandoned' ... guess I should thank you for making it stick out a little. :>
A Challenger can work just as well and has better handling.

Reading this I just want to check, you do know that with kills they in fact mean 'killing blows'?
Something that is very unusual for MMO games to say the least and doing Arkfalls properly and trying to speed up completion as much as possible you'll get very little kills.

Tayce
04-29-2013, 08:42 AM
I stopped doing Scrapper arkfalls (even though they're the most fun) and haven't had a reset since.
Getting close to Arkhunting III pursuit now.

Edit: Stopped doing anything but hellbugs more precisely.

Rakshasa
04-29-2013, 08:54 AM
How would killing skitterlings in the small abandoned arkfalls that lead up to the major help me get kill count for the major? Killing them in a red crystal arkfall stops you progressing to complete the arkfall (and therefore stops you getting the main one if you cant complete the small ones). You might have to explain it like I was 5 years old .. a stupid 5 year old.

In my experience, the final score we see reflects everything you did for the whole series of that major arkfall -- including revives, kills, and score accumulated at all the points leading up to the end. Most obscene kill totals I get are when a) I'm at a mission or shopping right nearby when the arkfall starts (Bug N Chug, usually), or b) I intentionallly head to the farthest-away hotspot of the group, rather than the nearest, quickest one that most people head to. Either way, it can give you a big head-start at racking up kills before anyone else shows up.

Note that this is for high kills, and kills and high score don't necessarily correlate. I think score is weighed more heavily towards total damage done to the crystals and the boss, than it is for just getting a quantity of kills.

Era
04-29-2013, 08:54 AM

1. "Major arkfall" is a bit confusing. Both the larger arkfall with the boss monster and the zone where five minors and a larger arkfall occur are referred to as major arkfalls. The 2.5k kills only need to happen in the greater area, which mean you can grind skitterlings at the minor arkfalls to get "major arkfall" kills as long as the minors are taking place within the greater area.
2. While killing skitterlings does halt progression, you don't need that much time to finish off a crystal.
3. Most arkfalls have 2 groups approach from opposite ends each having all players hit 2 minors, then 2 more minors, then they come together to hit the last minor before completing the major. So to wrack up kills go to minor arkfalls until you find one that a mob hasn't come to yet. Once the other players finish off the minors they are on they will come to you at which point you just get out of their way, moving on to the next empty minor. Once they come to that minor it will likely be the last and you can hop out of your truck and finish it off before moving on to the major and completing the arkfall. Altogether you get 2 empty minor arkfalls for the duration it normally takes to complete 2 minor arkfalls and you don't bother anyone.

Era
04-29-2013, 08:57 AM
In my experience, the final score we see reflects everything you did for the whole series of that major arkfall -- including revives, kills, and score accumulated at all the points leading up to the end. Most obscene kill totals I get are when a) I'm at a mission or shopping right nearby when the arkfall starts (Bug N Chug, usually), or b) I intentionallly head to the farthest-away hotspot of the group, rather than the nearest, quickest one that most people head to. Either way, it can give you a big head-start at racking up kills before anyone else shows up.

Note that this is for high kills, and kills and high score don't necessarily correlate. I think score is weighed more heavily towards total damage done to the crystals and the boss, than it is for just getting a quantity of kills.

Score is entirely damage based. Kills don't count for anything. Your "score" is your total damage dealt/healed. It actually says DMG (damage) above what is traditionally referred to as a player's "score".

quietscribe
04-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Reading this I just want to check, you do know that with kills they in fact mean 'killing blows'?
Something that is very unusual for MMO games to say the least and doing Arkfalls properly and trying to speed up completion as much as possible you'll get very little kills.
No, actually I didn't know it was killing blows. That is pretty crappy. It didn't even occur to me that it would be killing blows because kills in Rift don't work that way. Slowly my mind is being opened to the reality of this achievement, and it is looking even less likely to be getting completed any time soon. My best chance was in scrapper ones where I could zap the mongrels and the little bugs from forges with my BMG between the phases of repair. I got a ton of kills from that last night, but now it seems I will have to stay away from scrapper arkfalls because of the reset bug. Even if you only stuck to scrapper ones and that was okay, they don't spawn nearly as much as hellbug ones, because scrappers are not seen until nearly san fran. I don't know. I'm feeling really dissonant about the whole thing after getting my score reset again.

Era
04-29-2013, 09:01 AM
Okay, seriously just use the truck. I knocked all 2.5k out in a freaking afternoon. Just remember, leave when other players show up to that particular minor and move on to the next one/get out and help.

quietscribe
04-29-2013, 09:03 AM
Just read your posts Era, thank you so much for clearing this up for me. It did take a while for the information to click in my stupid brain today. Need more caffine I think. I feel much more hopeful about getting the achievement now :)