PDA

View Full Version : Turn to your attacker - is it bug or "feature"?

Sanae
04-29-2013, 10:49 AM
After the one of latest patches, I started to experience a weird bug - if something attacks me from my back or side, my character would turn to whatever is attacking her.

It actually cost me my life once - my chracter kept turning away from an opponent I was about to kill to an uninjured one.

So, my question is: is this a bug, or is this horror supposed to be a "feature" to "help" us?

Dragos Drakkar
04-29-2013, 10:51 AM
I've noticed this as well. I seem to have the most problem with the enemies that throw or lob explosives and the like at the character (Hellbug Archers, Blastpods, and so on). I can usually manage to dodge them, but if they land near enough to me, I end up turning to face where it landed, which is usually not near where the enemies are.

Yenah
04-29-2013, 11:07 AM
I have noticed the turning as well, most notably, against Dark Matter snipers.
Trying to run to a covered position, one sniper hits you, and you turn, leaving you exposed and disoriented, and then quickly dead.
I think this may actually be a feature trying to simulate the force of an impact spinning you around, has anyone tested if its based on how much damage you take?

Mavor
04-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Only appears to occur on very large hits. Usually from snipers but occasionally from other baddies as well. I think its intended to be a directional indicator of what just blasted the crap outta you, that's how I use it anyway.

Tgreen
04-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Not sure if what's happening to me would be called 'turn around' ... the screen's sometimes shaking making me have to take aim again. I figured it was a minor CC effect by some mobs such as snipers or Hellbug Warriors.

Epshiluss
04-29-2013, 11:19 AM
If somebody hit you out of the blue, I'm pretty sure your head will turn towards the pain sub consciously.

Vuule
04-29-2013, 11:21 AM
This has been the case ever since the game launched. And it's pretty annoying.

Sanae
04-29-2013, 11:22 AM
The shaking of screen when you take a hit is normal, and while it forces you to re-aim it still makes sense that hits disturb your aim.

We are talking about the situation where your character would turn to face whatever is attacking him/her – sometimes full 180 degree and often from whatever you are actually trying to kill at the moment.

And, yeah, it does have a “feature” feel to it, which unfortunately means it won’t be patched :(

(But Trion could at least be nice enough to give an option to turn off this annoying “feature”.)

P.S.

This has been the case ever since the game launched. And it's pretty annoying.

Oh. I only started noticing it lately.

Cavadus
04-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Definitely a bug and a really annoying one. And I thought I was getting over this annoyance with them adding the ability to disable auto-aim.

Bleh.

Tgreen
04-29-2013, 11:28 AM
We are talking about the situation where your character would turn to face whatever is attacking him/her – sometimes full 180 degree and often from whatever you are actually trying to kill at the moment..

In that case I don't seem to have said feature in my game or maybe I never noticed on the rare occasions where I get my behind shot off, either way I would've thought to have seen it all after 2500 rating ... but see, there's still new things to experience! ; P

If somebody hit you out of the blue, I'm pretty sure your head will turn towards the pain sub consciously.

I' pretty sure you'd die very unconsciously when that high caliber bullet rips right through you.

Sdric
04-29-2013, 11:29 AM
It's a feature, but an annoying one which players should be able to turn of...
I can't count the times I died because I made a spin and than that guy who I was supposed to shoot shot in my back.

Yenah
04-29-2013, 12:21 PM
My faves when you are trying to get into cover, and a sniper hits you at the last possible second, spins you, and you take the OTHER snipers shot right in the noggin... really fun way to die :(

Mavor
04-29-2013, 12:31 PM
Its part of taking a big hit - disorientation - but now youre facing the thing that did so kill the bastard! You cant remove it - might as well remove all detrimental effects from enemy attacks. Annoying or not its there for a reason. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its going away. Wanna know how to avoid it? Dont get sniped...

Sanae
04-30-2013, 03:08 AM
Its part of taking a big hit - disorientation - but now youre facing the thing that did so kill the bastard!

I wouldn't mind disorientation effects - screen shaking, being thrown in the opposite direction of the hit (for the bombs, hellbug projectiles, etc.), etc. It is illogic of turning exactly to your attacker (even if he is a stealthed sniper) that bugs me. And your character does it regardless of whether he/she is about to gun down an enemy, runs away from a horde of hellbugs, or have any other pressing concerns. The experienced adventurer that I envision my character to be wouldn't do it - otherwise she'd be dead long before she got EGO and her ressurection.

To make a long story short: this "feature" hinders you in combat in a way that is not belivable, which I find a very bad idea.

Lyokira
04-30-2013, 03:16 AM
They're just taunting you, to protect the targets you were attacking.

Tgreen
04-30-2013, 03:52 AM
Had to collect some DM kills in major ruins and you really do spin around!

I never took notice of this because for this to take full effect you must stand still when getting hit and I very rarely don't move unless I'm crouching in cover to regenerate or are in a situation where I'm in cover and without any assailant coming at me from behind because I took care of them first. Also it seems you don't get to do a 180° if you're hit from the side either, you'd actually have to turn your back on a sniper which is kind of not that smart and it receives just punishment.
And yeah, Dark Matter snipers are cloaked, but there are still the blur that makes them noticable, targeting lasers, the red dots on the minimap the moment they drop out of cloak and they always spawn in the same place (so you can learn where to expect them) outside of emergencies.

Lyokira
04-30-2013, 03:58 AM
Had to collect some DM kills in major ruins and you really do spin around!

I never took notice of this because for this to take full effect you must stand still when getting hit and I very rarely don't move unless I'm crouching in cover to regenerate or are in a situation where I'm in cover and without any assailant coming at me from behind because I took care of them first. Also it seems you don't get to do a 180° if you're hit from the side either, you'd actually have to turn your back on a sniper which is kind of not that smart and it receives just punishment.
And yeah, Dark Matter snipers are cloaked, but there are still the blur that makes them noticable, targeting lasers, the red dots on the minimap the moment they drop out of cloak and they always spawn in the same place (so you can learn where to expect them) outside of emergencies.

You don't have to stand still: getting successfully ambushed from ground by a hellbug warrior will also spin you off course.

MstrJedi_Kyle
04-30-2013, 04:38 AM
Working as intended would be my guess. Much like Geth stunlocking. I still have the nightmares......

Numina
04-30-2013, 04:54 AM
I have not had this happen yet... I have, however, had hellbug warriors come bursting out of the ground right below my feet tossing me aside. See, used to be when this would happen I would fly up in the air and be tossed a reasonable distance. Now... the last two times they have popped up at me, I would fly across my map... never stopping, going through fences, up hills... only coming to a halt when I would inevitably hit a body of water somewhere... usually very, very far from wherever I was. Last time this happened I was at an arkfall, ended up so far away I just didn't even bother to try to make my way back lol

Sylvae
04-30-2013, 05:22 AM
I've had it happen since running into hellbugs over two weeks ago. The annoying part is that it would do it even if I'm rolling away. I can understand the spin caused from being hit so hard it would physically cause you to turn. But, it makes no sense for it to completely ignore physics, and shift the momentum from my roll to instantly reverse direction with no loss of inertia. At most, it should knock my character over, or just stop the roll. Have been locked in place trying to roll away, but constantly being forced to roll back in the midst of a mob at times.

Tharcion
04-30-2013, 05:29 AM
Well, I had no clue what was going on, I figured it was a bug, but it happens to me a lot at arkfalls.
Thankfully, it's usually just after I've killed an archer. Suddenly I'm facing the crystal instead of the dead bug.
I know it's annoying...

Murzin
04-30-2013, 05:46 AM
you guys must be on console, or there is a setting to turn it off. im on pc and i turn off a lot of things and this does not happen to me.

Tgreen
04-30-2013, 06:29 AM
I highly doubt that the 'burrow strike' knocking you back is a bug. : P

It's easily avoidable if the red ! shows or you listen to the sound effect that proceed the attack.