PDA

View Full Version : Role-Playing servers?

SteelPaladin
01-02-2013, 09:11 AM
will there be RP servers? that is the essence of a mmorpg by default right?

lPATT
01-02-2013, 03:49 PM
will there be RP servers? that is the essence of a mmorpg by default right?

well i believe they might be RP servers but this is not a mmorpg =P it a mmotps

Firebrand
01-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Considering there will be a TV show releasing alongside this game, I would think it would be reasonable to have at least one RP server on each platform. It will allow customers another form of immersion for the world of Defiance.

However, enforcing certain RP server rules may be a bit hard as the game itself is supposed to play like an action-oriented shooter. Trion will definitely need to come up with some fairly lenient RP server rules for those players to abide by.

squidgod2000
01-03-2013, 01:32 AM
However, enforcing certain RP server rules may be a bit hard as the game itself is supposed to play like an action-oriented shooter. Trion will definitely need to come up with some fairly lenient RP server rules for those players to abide by.

Companies don't enforce any kind of RP rules. It's a meaningless label they slap on a server because players want it and it costs them nothing.

Deacon
01-03-2013, 12:33 PM
well i believe they might be RP servers but this is not a mmorpg =P it a mmotps

I disagree only because it has all the elements of an RPG and here's the thing, as an MMOTPS, it's not much. Being an RPG with the amount of world lore, fleshed out characters and stories, I have to say DEFIANCE is much better off as an ACTION MMORPG than simply an MMOTPS. Simply calling it an MMOTPS devalues all that great depth that a lot of creative work has gone into, creating this great setting.

I definitely hope for RP servers and a great RP community BUT more than that, I hope that TRION builds systems which not only help RP but encourage it.

Sandbox elements that allow players to really 'move into' this world they've crafted... not just jump in for some skirmish gunfights and log out, moving onto the next game.

SteelPaladin
01-03-2013, 05:07 PM
i agree, it should be a action-mmo, not a mmotps, sound like nonsense by PR to wrangle in fps folk. If this is gonna be call of duty, in 3rd person, then im dissapointed already.

CMax
01-03-2013, 06:47 PM
I really want to see some more RP functionality in the game. The game is awesome, but it would put it over the edge for me. Especially with the TV show, it would be really easy to fully immerse yourself in the game/world.

We need to be able to chat more locally (bubbles?) and there definitely should be some bars, and hang out spots. We should have an option to holster weapons too for talking in areas like that.

This game has so much rich RP potential.

Irondrake
01-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Dedicated RP servers or not, the community is what we make of it. We can RP wherever we are, however the dedicated server would at least let roleplayers know where to congregate.

SteelPaladin
01-03-2013, 07:07 PM
I agree, they wouldnt have to be 100% roleplay, but the option would be nice.
pvp
pve
rpvp
rpve

CMax
01-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Yeah. Some games dedicate unofficial servers for RP, and I have no problem doing that :)

squidgod2000
01-04-2013, 07:09 AM
I agree, they wouldnt have to be 100% roleplay, but the option would be nice.
pvp
pve
rpvp
rpve

Have they even announced full-on, open world PvP servers? It'd definitely be interesting and add a survival element to the game, especially if there was some looting allowed. Been waaaay to long since games let you be a straight up PKer.