PDA

View Full Version : "Defiance Service Unavailable" FIX!!!

thejx4
03-21-2013, 01:23 PM
(Originally posted in the beta feedback forum...but it's apparently invisible or something)

"Defiance Service Unavailable" FIX!!!

Okay, so since the beta launched, I've been having this really annoying problem. The game would start normally and everything, I'd accept the EULA, move past the patch screen, etc. For about 10-15 seconds, it'd try to connect to the servers. Eventually, I'd get booted back to the start screen with a "Service unavailable" error. Went through customer support, their suggestions didn't help, so I'm in line to speak with Tier 2 support in a couple of days. I didn't want to wait, as my gaming time is already limited, so I thought I'd keep trying to fix it myself.

There are two possible fixes here, but I did both at the same time, so I don't know if it's one, or the combination of the two changes I made. Once I narrow it down, I'll update this post.

It's just a couple of simple steps:

+Log into your router - The IP should be like 10.0.0.x, if you don't know your IP, I think you should be able to open a command prompt, type "ipconfig /all" and find it there.
All you need to do is input the IP into your browser.

+Now check the firewall settings, mine was set to medium, which pretty much only blocks peer-to-peer applications (apparently). I changed that to low, which almost completely opens the firewall. - (Figured out this was optional. Only use this if putting your PS3 into DMZ doesn't allow you to connect)

+I also set my PS3 into DMZ, which opens all of the ports.
Changing your firewall options can be very dangerous to your internet security, proceed with caution. Make sure your PS3 is off while doing this.

Here's a guide for those that don't know how to set it to DMZ. http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network-Technical/How-do-I-set-up-a-DMZ-on-my-PlayStation-3-PS3/td-p/14419671

Knowing the dangers of leaving my firewall down, I started the game as quickly as possible, and finally was able to log in. I immediately turned my firewall back to medium, but left the PS3 in DMZ. So far so good. Clearing the game data for Defiance may or may not be a factor in this, so do that just to be safe.

I'll let you guys know if I run into any problems, and I'll take my PS3 out of DMZ and restart the game to see if I can still connect. Hope this helps you guys!

UPDATE 1: This procedure only needs to be done once, as far as I know. However, if you have to do this every time you start the game, just make sure you return all the settings you changed back to normal, once you successfully connect.

Update 2: Okay. The ports are the issue, simply putting your PS3 into a DMZ *should* allow you to connect. Until Trion releases info on what ports Defiance uses, this will most likely remain a problem

XiiLoopii
03-21-2013, 01:38 PM
If this isn't fixed in the final product there is no way I'm buying it I shouldn't have to change firewall settings to play a game.

thejx4
03-21-2013, 01:49 PM
If this isn't fixed in the final product there is no way I'm buying it I shouldn't have to change firewall settings to play a game.

Updated the post. You don't need to mess with your firewall anymore. Seems like the ports are definitely the issue. Not sure if this'll be different for the final version.

XiiLoopii
03-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Your DMZ link is broke btw

thejx4
03-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Your DMZ link is broke btw

Thanks. Fixed. Would be nice if this could get a sticky.

kukish88
03-21-2013, 07:53 PM
cant find dmz on my router settings

thejx4
03-22-2013, 03:58 PM
cant find dmz on my router settings

what kind of router is it? Might be under advanced, firewall, or port forwarding.

thejx4
03-22-2013, 10:26 PM
*Request for sticky*

thejx4
03-24-2013, 08:29 AM
Good news! I have the port information!

"Currently, Defiance requires TCP ports 80, 443, 50000, and 65000 for all network traffic related to the game. In addition to those ports, we also use UDP ports 40000-41000. You should be able to find instructions on how to open these ports in your router through the router's documentation."

Putting your PS3 into DMZ shouldn't be a requirement anymore, just open those ports. This should also fix any voice chat issues.

Blaze1003
04-06-2013, 09:48 PM
This thread has been most helpful in getting me in the game after 5 days since launch day. Thanks for the help