PDA

View Full Version : Why is the game capped at 60/61 fps?

nitroz76
04-29-2013, 05:00 PM
I never understood why games do this. I think it's stupid, tbh.

lipe123
04-29-2013, 05:01 PM
It's not, your monitor is capped at 60hz.

Go buy a 120hz panel or disable vsync in the nvidia/ati control panel.

DustOfDeath
04-29-2013, 06:10 PM
majority of the players got standard LCD which is capped ar 60hz.

More expensive gamer lcd-s and such got 120hz

You cant go above the monitors refresh rate with your FPS or you get tearing and other ugly crap.
Its called vsync - its enabled by default (so with a 120hz LCD or... old CRT yo ucan go beyond that) .

TE5LA
04-29-2013, 06:23 PM
I have a 60Hz monitor and get 110+ fps with no tearing and everything maxed. I get 180 fps in BF3 (single-player), but sometimes it acts up when it's that high so Vsync is necessary.

DustOfDeath
04-29-2013, 07:19 PM
but you wont "see" that increased framerate.
60hz means the screen can display new image 60 times/s 120 fps would mean 120 images /s
Human eye wouldnt detect much beyond 60 fps anyways (constant 60, any change is noticable and makesit feel jittery).

But regardless... 60hz monitor with higher refresh rate will still display 60 images/s - getting higher framerate simply would allow it to be constantly at 60 even at crowded situations so its smooth.

Nightside187
04-29-2013, 07:35 PM
majority of the players got standard LCD which is capped ar 60hz.

More expensive gamer lcd-s and such got 120hz

My lcd worth 1000$ and its 60hz...

FizzyMyNizzy
04-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Waiting for that day when 144Hz monitor price drop.

fatoldguy
04-29-2013, 07:55 PM
The misinformation is strong in this thread.

Mad Mike
04-29-2013, 08:23 PM
It's not, your monitor is capped at 60hz.

Go buy a 120hz panel or disable vsync in the nvidia/ati control panel.

Except you cant with ati it doesnt work changing it in ccc , thats why he said its stuck at 60.

Mirimon
04-29-2013, 09:23 PM
current tv's from sony, 70" 1440p 1khz refresh.. their demo laser tech.. got a few tweaks to work on.(apps and OS) but otherwise it's solid and phenominal to have x3

Acindo
04-29-2013, 10:57 PM
I fail to see what your human eye will notice changing from 60fps to 100+

Not like we can see 100fps.

lipe123
04-29-2013, 11:33 PM

You miss the point completely, its not about seeing a difference its about causing other problems. For example put fraps on your computer and then limit the framerate to 40 or even 50 and then record while you play.
You will notice that the game starts to feel sluggish and your mouse movement feels delayed.

This is the reason that games should not be V-sync'ed by default, not because you might see a difference with your eyes but because you will feel a difference with your mouse when you try to snipe a moving target.

Mirimon
04-30-2013, 05:29 PM

actually.. we can..

though we often compare our vision, and how it functions to that of a camera.. there is a huge difference.... SHUTTERS..

shutters are how cameras get their frames and frame rates.. without shutters we would not have TV.. no matter how you want to call it... a "movie" is simply hundreds and thousands of different still images played out sequentially.

Our visual center is capable of rationally identifying a DOZEN images simultaneously..(at the same time) BUT.. at what "rate" can we take in visual data? since we do not have shutters flapping at high rates.. we only have eyelids that blink occasionally (because we dont need fast moving shutters) we rely on a change in photon reception and a electro-chemical signal relay. For this purpose.. lets evaluate our current units of time:

fps= Frames Per Second...

ms= Millisecond.. as in.. 1,000 of these make 1 second of time.

tv's/cameras operate in fps.. (mine is 1khz though.. or 1ms refresh rate)

the visual system, and the neuro-pathways connecting it have refractory periods.. moments in which that particular cell cannot successfully receive stimuli. Muscles have their own, this can be as great as 250ms (still less than 1 second...). But.. the visual system operates from 1-2ms.. as in.. it transmits complete amounts of data 1,000-2,000 times per second.. and that is just ONE cone/rod, receptor, axon, dendrite, etc.s etc, out of CLUSTERS OF THEM.

it has been noted that viewing things at less than 48 fps can put strain on the eye (and easily induce seizures in the photo-sensitive epilectics.

yes.. the average human can easily see and comprehend more than "60fps" and most certainly know the difference between 60 fps, and 120 or higher fps in the same way we see the difference from 30 fps (which is what terrible but overhyped games like halo3 are locked in at) and 12 fps...

what wets us apart, in the gaming world, is the intentional inclusion of "motion blur" to smooth the transition from one frame to another. Tv/Movies though... when viewing things in 1080P or higher at 120 hz tend to have "micro stuttering" in them.. and many people, when viewing from the proper distance relative to viewing size, will easily detect this, and be greatly annoyed by it. (this is the reason I recommend people who are about to purchase new hdtv's, especially 3D ones, to get something with refresh rates of 240hz or higher, as when viewing a single image it will transition much smoother, and in 3d, because it halves the framerate to split images.)

so.. in the future, please don't assume that some common saying or even what people consider to be "common knowledge" (infact nothing more than misconception and false rumor/wives tales) as it may be HIGHLY inaccurate and flat out wrong.

Xazur
04-30-2013, 05:32 PM
There is something called Vsync in your graphics drivers options, turn it off and you will get more than 60 fps.

Mirimon
04-30-2013, 11:12 PM
There is something called Vsync in your graphics drivers options, turn it off and you will get more than 60 fps.

also.. a majority of tv's have stickers saying 120/240 or higher "refresh rates" dont confuse this too much with fps.. while they are similar, in one way, the refresh rate is how often the screen itself refreshes...regardless of what image is be instructed for it to display. while some tv boast high "refresh rates" their input signals may also be limited to 60hz or (60fps) so to speak... furthermore.. other devices, like a media device, while claiming hd this and that may also only broadcast a low freq signal..

the optimal set up would assume that all devices transmit and receive data forimages at ~1.5k hz/fps and higher. some tv's have this as a refresh rate, once gfx cards and media devices can match this and movies/games be produced/recorded in that format you would finally have visual media closer to our discernible threshold.

but yes.. if you got the juice for it, disabling v-sync will generally improve gaming fps.