PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's episode of Defiance

Rasczak
04-29-2013, 07:42 PM
Couldn't wait to get in-game tonight on PC and discuss tonight's episode of Defiance with other players/fans.

. . . oh yeah, that's right . . . we can't unless they are standing right on top of us. :mad:

(Yeah, this is yet another thread about PC chat.)

Ralron
04-29-2013, 07:44 PM
can i say...random fetish scene of unnecessary-ness? IMO, shows just throw sex in for views...kinda just hurts the show.

omega32x
04-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Couldn't wait to get in-game tonight on PC and discuss tonight's episode of Defiance with other players/fans.

. . . oh yeah, that's right . . . we can't unless they are standing right on top of us. :mad:

(Yeah, this is yet another thread about PC chat.)

The episode itself was really great on SIFY. This new missions thing they have us doing with the hellbugs i actually like cause they have introduced a few new sub spieces of the hellbug. I honestly hope they keep them around cause there looks are allot better than the standard red ones. Would add more variety to the Arkfall and world fights anyways.

funkstylz
04-29-2013, 07:48 PM
I swear if I hear one more terrible indie-cover song at the end of the episode....

The story is okay, but the cheap budget and acting make Star Trek TNG look like a hollywood production. It's not un-expected (sify after all) but the acting isn't what I had hoped. The premise is great though, I just don't see this making it to a 2nd season.

Dunnomatic
04-29-2013, 07:49 PM
The episode itself was really great on SIFY. This new missions thing they have us doing with the hellbugs i actually like cause they have introduced a few new sub spieces of the hellbug. I honestly hope they keep them around cause there looks are allot better than the standard red ones. Would add more variety to the Arkfall and world fights anyways.

I agree they need to keep the new variants. If they remove those too once they add the new "content," Ill be beyond disappointed since thats the only updated content we got when they really tried to make us think we were getting episodes.

Id all but guarantee they remove them though, just like all other "episodic content" if you can even call it that.

omega32x
04-29-2013, 07:52 PM
I agree they need to keep the new variants. If they remove those too once they add the new "content," Ill be beyond disappointed since thats the only updated content we got when they really tried to make us think we were getting episodes.

Id all but guarantee they remove them though, just like all other "episodic content" if you can even call it that.

I was amazed because they just were not repaints but the electric had new design markings and crackling lightning coming from the shell itself as well as the attacks were pure lightning while the green ones had ooze dripping down from there bodies and they spit corrosive materials at you.

grooboggle
04-29-2013, 07:55 PM
I swear if I hear one more terrible indie-cover song at the end of the episode....

The story is okay, but the cheap budget and acting make Star Trek TNG look like a hollywood production. It's not un-expected (sify after all) but the acting isn't what I had hoped. The premise is great though, I just don't see this making it to a 2nd season.

Already picked up yo.

Xiiego94
04-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Already picked up yo.are you sure? someone from the show said they are waiting/hoping for the second season to be picked up.

grooboggle
04-29-2013, 08:00 PM
are you sure? someone from the show said they are waiting/hoping for the second season to be picked up.

http://www.defianceforum.com/news/23584-defiance-second-season-already-in-production

Its numbers have been strong for a science fiction pilot.

EV76
04-29-2013, 08:05 PM
I hope the new hellbugs stay. They are awesome to fight. Nothing like a lightning archer taking out your HUD then getting set on fire by those warrior bugs! Lol. Good times.

WeeohhWeeohh
04-29-2013, 08:14 PM
I really wish the Romeo and Juliet young love story ark ends quickly. So over done.

grooboggle
04-29-2013, 08:16 PM
I really wish the Romeo and Juliet young love story ark ends quickly. So over done.

Every story has been told. Might as well stay with some of the classics. Who knows you might get a little King Lear in with your Romeo and Juliet. An Ark is a vehicle.

jonwes
04-29-2013, 08:18 PM
Whoops, wrong thread.

Xiiego94
04-29-2013, 08:20 PM
I really wish the Romeo and Juliet young love story ark ends quickly. So over done.i still do not get everyones negativity towards this particular storyline, time and time again i say the show is not about them, they are just part of the bigger picture. they do not get alot of camera time either. (tonights episode was probably the most they ever had)

Myst
04-29-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm really loving tonight's episode :o!!

dalendria
04-29-2013, 08:32 PM
I like the apparent new tip for killing the Hellbug Matron. Put hellbug poop all over your body so she can't track you. or better yet, I want a weapon that will allow me to shoot her with hellbug poop.

I am joking Trion. Please do not put any hellbug poop spreading content in the game.

loracsilver
04-29-2013, 08:39 PM
I enjoyed the episode. It was great to see the hellbugs on my TV. I was excited to see them. The new types would be fun to encounter. I don't the R&J subplot. it adds to the drama. And I liked the little breakdown between Nolan and Ish. It really sent home that he is raising a person from a different culture (alien,) and does not have all the answers. He just wants whats best for her, and does not have all the info to be able to do that. Plus, we really got to see more of Ish and who she is, and her struggle to be not just a proud member of her own race, but also to make her adopted father proud. She is very troubled, and to see her make some strides to overcome was really interesting.

Yun
04-29-2013, 09:11 PM
People complaining about the songs get the schtako over it. One covers are no better/worse than the original songs. Also did you ever bother to stop and think that maybe just maybe the rights to use the actual original song actually cost money and perhaps more so than using a cover version?

Music is Music suck it up. I actually liked the cover at the end of Episode 2 better than the original version. Besides each song they've used has seemed to match the overall tone of the episode.

That being said the episode was kind of a let down was hoping for an actual fight against some of the hellbugs it just turned out disappointing.

Rasczak
04-29-2013, 09:14 PM
This is the definition of MMO-sadness.

I have to use the friggin' forums for related social interaction, instead of being able to accomplish it in-game.

Trion has now beat ArenaNet with GW2--- where LFG had to be done via an external site.

/sigh

SteveMND
04-29-2013, 09:15 PM
I enjoyed the episode. It was great to see the hellbugs on my TV.

I admit, I had to smile to myself when I immediately recognized the "hellbug burrowing' sound you hear all the time in the game. :D

Freygea
04-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Cmon admit it., how many of you out there got warm fuzzies when you saw the helbugs?

I did !

Cutlass Jack
04-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Cmon admit it., how many of you out there got warm fuzzies when you saw the helbugs?

I did !

I got warm Fuzzies when Datak cranked his charge blade up to sword length to kill those hellbugs. Does that count?

BP_PSY
04-29-2013, 09:43 PM
It was my favorite so far, but if the next episode has yet another sappy song 5 minute montage I will think twice about watching it again. It's one more sappy song montage away from being a hopeless series in my opinion.:p

Cutlass Jack
04-29-2013, 09:46 PM
I'll gladly take the montages over the forced, awkward "sexy" moments. Was it really required to be shirtless and oiled to help Iressa tap into her powers? And don't get me started about Diaper Guy.

BP_PSY
04-29-2013, 09:54 PM
I'll gladly take the montages over the forced, awkward "sexy" moments. Was it really required to be shirtless and oiled to help Iressa tap into her powers? And don't get me started about Diaper Guy.
So what you want to say is that this show needs more alien boobs?
Hm...

I agree...

Kidacro 215npa
04-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Seeing those hellbugs on tv was damn cool... they even flanked kinda how they do in the game. Overall the ep was cool... gonna watch again tomorrow while i'm running thru missions.

... and yes... more alien b00bs!

On a side note... any1 think a revolution mmo game would be cool?

WeeohhWeeohh
04-30-2013, 06:02 AM
Every story has been told. Lear the anoth Might as well stay with some of the classics. Who knows you might get a little King Lear in with your Romeo and Juliet. An Ark is a vehicle.

Every story has indeed been told, some more frequently then others. I would rather see King Lear then another whiny R&J retelling. That was my point, not that it had been done before. Also, i used ark as a play on words.

Covington
04-30-2013, 06:09 AM
can i say...random fetish scene of unnecessary-ness? IMO, shows just throw sex in for views...kinda just hurts the show.

Really? Miss that golden "Kenya has bedbugs" joke?

Found it funny not sexy.

I am more than familiar with Mia and her acting and her past roles (fans got their wish in LWord when she was killed off) and the crappy parts she got. But... here she is doing a great job - would love to see more of her humour put into the show - she has the best character for it.

Covington
04-30-2013, 06:11 AM

Can't agree with anything else you said but this (Grey's Anatomy ruined television - enough with the force music).

As far as a season 2.... guess what they are filming...

Covington
04-30-2013, 06:14 AM
i still do not get everyones negativity towards this particular storyline, time and time again i say the show is not about them, they are just part of the bigger picture. they do not get alot of camera time either. (tonights episode was probably the most they ever had)

If people wander over to the other social site this storyline really seems to be the most popular one in the show. It's getting a certain crow that normally wouldn't be interested - ratings is ratings!

I admit, I had to smile to myself when I immediately recognized the "hellbug burrowing' sound you hear all the time in the game.

I loved that part - best part of the show that whole fight scene with Datak's dagger!

Tgreen
04-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Was it really required to be shirtless and oiled to help Iressa tap into her powers?

Probably not, but then again what harm did it do?
The diaper guy ... some kink is nice but there are random fantasies that are simply ridiculous. I was really happy when he got eaten since that shortened the whole scene.

Knight776
04-30-2013, 07:03 AM
The first thing I picked up that I recognized from the game was in the first scene. When the skitterlings attacked the jogger, if you listen very closely, the Hellbug theme from the game is used for the background music. (At around 2:28.)

Thunderclap
04-30-2013, 07:13 AM
I like the apparent new tip for killing the Hellbug Matron. Put hellbug poop all over your body so she can't track you. or better yet, I want a weapon that will allow me to shoot her with hellbug poop.

I am joking Trion. Please do not put any hellbug poop spreading content in the game.

NO! I want hellbug poop spreading content in the game! I want to be able to mele biomen in the crotch and they drop. If you can throw poop in Duke nukem forever, you should be able to do it here,

Groone
04-30-2013, 07:45 AM
when will we get flaming sword weapons in game?

when will we get more alien boobs in game?

when will we get poop pistols in game?

questions that need answers...

Taaltos
04-30-2013, 07:47 AM
are you sure? someone from the show said they are waiting/hoping for the second season to be picked up.

Yes, Season 1 is done filming, they're going to be starting on Season 2 soon. Syfy picked it up for 2 seasons off the bat. A show like this needs time to grow.

Kingmoo
04-30-2013, 08:14 AM
Hell bugs see by smell?

That is simply ridiculous

Taaltos
04-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Hell bugs see by smell?

About as ridiculous as Vulcan's melding minds. Irathient's being able to 'see' things. Elves having infrared vision. Trolls turning to stone when killed. The borg sharing one linked hivemind.

So ridiculous. Silly science fiction.

Cutlass Jack
04-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Hell bugs see by smell?

They pull alot of it from actual bugs.

Swing by Wikipedia and look up Ants. Scroll down to the section on communication. Its too long a section to quote here so I'll just grab a sentence relevant to the episode. "Several ant species even use "propaganda pheromones" to confuse enemy ants and make them fight among themselves."

Taaltos
04-30-2013, 08:23 AM
They pull alot of it from actual bugs.

Swing by Wikipedia and look up Ants. Scroll down to the section on communication. Its too long a section to quote here so I'll just grab a sentence relevant to the episode. "Several ant species even use "propaganda pheromones" to confuse enemy ants and make them fight among themselves."

I <3 You, Captain Jack!

Kingmoo
04-30-2013, 08:26 AM
About as ridiculous as Vulcan's melding minds. Irathient's being able to 'see' things. Elves having infrared vision. Trolls turning to stone when killed. The borg sharing one linked hivemind.

So ridiculous. Silly science fiction.
Sorry I meant ridiculous in terms of how Hell bugs will be represented in the show from now on. Any time we see Hellbugs now we think "why the hell didn't that guy just smear himself in crap, or wear a suit, or stay downwind..."

BJWyler
04-30-2013, 08:31 AM
http://www.defianceforum.com/news/23584-defiance-second-season-already-in-production

Its numbers have been strong for a science fiction pilot.

Good news at least. I was intrigued by the potential crossover between game and TV Show and have been casually following news. I watched the pilot, and while it certainly can't be said that it is a great work of art, it was entertaining enough for me to seriously consider getting into the game and continuing to watch the show. Again, I don't think we're winning any awards here soon, but even some of the longest running shows had to take baby steps first - even STNG took about 3 seasons before it really came into it's own.

I would really like to see just how far they can take the crossover thing - while I don't think it will become a standard by any means, if Trion/Syfy can pull it off reasonably well, the future possibilities for gaming look pretty cool.

It was my favorite so far, but if the next episode has yet another sappy song 5 minute montage I will think twice about watching it again. It's one more sappy song montage away from being a hopeless series in my opinion.:p

I have to agree somewhat with this. While fitting, I hope it doesn't get overused. I kinda find it more atmospheric to have familiar songs interwoven in the series. It is Sci-Fi, but this is a time and place that is not that far removed from our own. I thought Irisa and Nolan singing in the opening of the Pilot to be a bit cheesy, yet it kinda makes it seem more "real."

Battlecry
04-30-2013, 08:33 AM

"Cheap budget and acting"

Julie Benz. That's right. Shut the jek up.

Zugo
04-30-2013, 08:36 AM
Sorry I meant ridiculous in terms of how Hell bugs will be represented in the show from now on. Any time we see Hellbugs now we think "why the hell didn't that guy just smear himself in crap, or wear a suit, or stay downwind..."

The Predator race only sees heat signatures and they have eyes. Arnold easily evaded one by smearing mud on himself.

I haven’t seen any eyes on hellbugs so it makes sense they would use one of the other senses to track prey.

Battlecry
04-30-2013, 08:42 AM
Good news at least. I was intrigued by the potential crossover between game and TV Show and have been casually following news. I watched the pilot, and while it certainly can't be said that it is a great work of art, it was entertaining enough for me to seriously consider getting into the game and continuing to watch the show. Again, I don't think we're winning any awards here soon, but even some of the longest running shows had to take baby steps first - even STNG took about 3 seasons before it really came into it's own.

I would really like to see just how far they can take the crossover thing - while I don't think it will become a standard by any means, if Trion/Syfi can pull it off reasonably well, the future possibilities for gaming look pretty cool.

Indeed, I was going to point out Star Trek: TNG as nobody else had yet. Although I personally loved the second season, it is well established that season one of TNG may very well be the worst season of any Star Trek series. Even the former cast of TNG make fun of season one at conventions and panels.

Rasczak
04-30-2013, 09:39 AM
Yes, Season 1 is done filming, they're going to be starting on Season 2 soon. Syfy picked it up for 2 seasons off the bat. A show like this needs time to grow.

Could you post your source, please?. From everything I have read, Syfy has not yet ordered a second season. Yes, some production is being done on it, but that is normal for a television show. It isn't the high-cost actor/location/firm scripting production, though.

I'm going to post what I did in another thread on the matter in regards to this stage of "season two production." Now if I am incorrect and Syfy has ordered a Season 2 already, please point to the article. I would be very happy if they did.

I've worked in television. After the end of Highlander: The Series' 5th season, production was started on a 22 episode 6th season. Production got so far along that the first two episodes were even filmed, which were to take place 20 years later. Ahriman had managed to plunge the world into darkness, Duncan Macleod was still on Holy Ground after killing Ritchie all those years ago, and a very old Joe Dawson and Methos finally hunted Macleod down to bring him back into the fight, since he was the chosen one to stop Ahriman.

Then you know what? Things changed on the studio and network sides, the budget was severely cut, and only 13 episodes were ordered.

Those two episodes: gone. All the production that started on Season 6: gone.

They were already picked-up for a 6th Season, and yet things still fell apart on the studio/network end after the fact.

Production does not mean filming, by any stretch. Production does often begin in television without a 100% commitment of a next season. Production involves a hell of a lot of phases that take place before the serious money is committed to sets, location permits, actors, and actual filming.

If the show is renewed for a season two, then they will begin actual filming and the huge money commitment. Right now they are obviously getting things in place for a renewal, which especially makes sense with season 1 only being 12 broadcast weeks long. Plus, I will wager there is a lot more preliminary work to do since if it is renewed, they also have to coordinate plans with Trion for the game's tie-in development.

and also:

I'll give you another example. My mother and brother love the new Dallas series. They called and asked me if there would be a Season 3, so I decided to do some research. As it stands, there is already writing done for Season 3 (Patrick Duffy discussed a few of the angles the show plans to explore), and even some preliminary casting calls for new characters.

However, TNT has not yet committed to a third season. Patrick Duffy even openly admitted that while he is optimistic, and loves the storyline plans and what production has done so far, they have not yet been told if there will be a third season. TNT has yet to commit and order any episodes.

So, if it's been stated by Syfy that a Season 2 has been ordered, that would be fantastic. But don't assume they have just because of production. From all I've read, a season has yet to be ordered and confirmed.

Here is a link from 16 hours ago (http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/9632/michael-taylor-departs-defiance.html) talking about how a co-developer has departed the show, and begins with If Syfy brings Defiance back for a second season . . .

Here is another article that states while likely Defiance will get a Season 2, it isn't confirmed: http://www.deadline.com/tag/syfy/

AZAG0TH
04-30-2013, 09:55 AM
My Critiques:

SyFy should just use in game 3D assets rather than their own 3D animators. It would look far better. The show's matron looked cheesy.

The cover/montages are the worst parts of the show.

I, too, am tired of the overused Romeo & Juliet story-line.

The Doc Ywell actress is still laughably awful and ruins every scene she is in.

The show needs far more action & where are all the cool guns? Why are they all running around using (mostly) today's firearms. No nano effect weapons?

Other than that- the episode was ok.. but I am enjoying the game far more than the show...

Taaltos
04-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Could you post your source, please?. From everything I have read, Syfy has not yet ordered a second season. Yes, some production is being done on it, but that is normal for a television show. It isn't the high-cost actor/location/firm scripting production, though.

I'm going to post what I did in another thread on the matter in regards to this stage of "season two production." Now if I am incorrect and Syfy has ordered a Season 2 already, please point to the article. I would be very happy if they did.

[/I]
and also:

So, if it's been stated by Syfy that a Season 2 has been ordered, that would be fantastic. But don't assume they have just because of production. From all I've read, a season has yet to be ordered and confirmed.

Here is a link from 16 hours ago (http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/9632/michael-taylor-departs-defiance.html) talking about how a co-developer has departed the show, and begins with If Syfy brings Defiance back for a second season . . .

Here is another article that states while likely Defiance will get a Season 2, it isn't confirmed: http://www.deadline.com/tag/syfy/

http://www.indiewire.com/article/television/kevin-murphy-defiance-syfy?page=2#articleHeaderPanel

You're welcome!

Rasczak
04-30-2013, 10:02 AM

http://www.indiewire.com/article/television/kevin-murphy-defiance-syfy?page=2#articleHeaderPanel

You're welcome!

Not what I asked. I already explained production versus a confirmed second season in the two self-quotes in my above posting.

I also gave you two links that clearly show that Defiance: Season Two is not confirmed or ordered from Syfy yet. Here they are again:

Here is a link from 16 hours ago (http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/963...-defiance.html) talking about how a co-developer has departed the show, and begins with If Syfy brings Defiance back for a second season . . .

Here is another article that states while likely Defiance will get a Season 2, it isn't confirmed yet: http://www.deadline.com/tag/syfy/.

I asked for the article/link that stated that Syfy has ordered a Season Two. Because articles from within the past 24 hours have yet to state that and clearly state that it is still an If.

Taaltos
04-30-2013, 10:04 AM
Not what I asked. I already explained production versus a confirmed second season in the two self-quotes in my above posting.

I also gave you two links that clearly show that Defiance: Season Two is not confirmed or ordered from Syfy yet. Here they are again:

Here is a link from 16 hours ago (http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/963...-defiance.html) talking about how a co-developer has departed the show, and begins with If Syfy brings Defiance back for a second season . . .

Here is another article that states while likely Defiance will get a Season 2, it isn't confirmed yet: http://www.deadline.com/tag/syfy/.

I asked for the article/link that stated that Syfy has ordered a Season Two. Because articles from within the past 24 hours have yet to state that and clearly state that it is still an If.

Well. My apologies.

Continue with your doomsaying.

Lasse B
04-30-2013, 10:19 AM
I seem to be the only one to find it odd they survived the elevator crashing into the ground with no brakes used at all. But it is strangely compliant with the game where dropping from great heights isn't harmful at all. Besides that I found this episode better than the previous.

Taaltos
04-30-2013, 10:21 AM
I seem to be the only one to find it odd they survived the elevator crashing into the ground with no brakes used at all. But it is strangely compliant with the game where dropping from great heights isn't harmful at all. Besides that I found this episode better than the previous.

I'm thinking it wasn't falling at terminal velocity. The mechanism still worked. I think it was just an accelerated fall.

Rasczak
04-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Well. My apologies.

Continue with your doomsaying.

I'm not doomsaying. I want it to be renewed. I want a Second Season! Buddy, I love the show and I am actually waiting and hoping for that press release confirming a Season Two. I'm just pointing out that a second season has not yet been confirmed by Syfy.

I also don't think the Defiance game will fail overall. I just find this Dev Team, so far, subpar to what Trion showed it could do via the Rift team.

Though I will come on here and ***** about how things are right now, I honestly want this show/game franchise to succeed. It's one reason I still promote it to my fans via my FB pages (personal and company related).

Taaltos
04-30-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm not doomsaying. I want it to be renewed. I want a Second Season! Buddy, I love the show and I am actually waiting and hoping for that press release confirming a Season Two. I'm just pointing out that a secone season has not yet been confirmed by Syfy.

I also don't think the Defiance game will fail overall. I just find this Dev Team, so far, subpar to what Trion showed it could do via the Rift team.

Though I will come on here and ***** about how things are right now, I honestly want this show/game franchise to succeed. It's one reason I still promote it to my fans via my FB pages (personal and company related).

Sorry. I lumped you in with the rest of the haters. I see production as a good sign. I've read somewhere, just can't find where, that there will be a 2nd season. I'm in class so I can't do a super deep search.

Rasczak
04-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Sorry. I lumped you in with the rest of the haters. I see production as a good sign. I've read somewhere, just can't find where, that there will be a 2nd season. I'm in class so I can't do a super deep search.

It's definitely a good sign. If Syfy had most definitely said: no, production would never have started.

Rasczak
04-30-2013, 10:31 AM

I'm thinking it wasn't falling at terminal velocity. The mechanism still worked. I think it was just an accelerated fall.

I wondered at that too, then had the same thought as Taaltos. I will also admit that physics has never been my strongest science, and I've fortunately never had the displeasure of being trapped in a plummeting elevator to know how likely that scene was. :D

But it was written that way to add some quick tension to the scene. Killing them off at that point would have been bad for the show. ;)

Cutlass Jack
04-30-2013, 10:33 AM
I'm guessing the elevator fall was cushioned by landing on hellbugs at the bottom of the shaft. They were of course so surprised by this that they shot a pile of shtako a short distance away. This pile proved handy later, as we saw.

Rasczak
04-30-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm guessing the elevator fall was cushioned by landing on hellbugs at the bottom of the shaft. They were of course so surprised by this that they shot a pile of shtako a short distance away. This pile proved handy later, as we saw.

I need sleep (going on 26 hours now because of a sick 3 year old), because I actually laughed out loud at that.

Best fan interpretation so far!

Cutlass Jack
04-30-2013, 10:39 AM
I need sleep (going on 26 hours now because of a sick 3 year old), because I actually laughed out loud at that.

Completely off topic but I hope your kid gets better soon! (and you get some sleep after)

Rasczak
04-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Completely off topic but I hope your kid gets better soon! (and you get some sleep after)

Me too! At 40 years old, these day+ stretches of no sleep are mental murder. Guess who isn't getting any writing on his next book done today? :(

Migrayne
04-30-2013, 10:45 AM
I admit, I had to smile to myself when I immediately recognized the "hellbug burrowing' sound you hear all the time in the game. :D

I agree. As soon as I heard it I knew hell bugs were coming. Its good they used the exact same sound. They need to keep things the same between the show a d game.

Irres169
04-30-2013, 10:49 AM
People complaining about the songs get the schtako over it.

Some people just should not cuss in alien, because they are not good at it. :p

Rasczak
04-30-2013, 10:52 AM
I agree. As soon as I heard it I knew hell bugs were coming. Its good they used the exact same sound. They need to keep things the same between the show a d game.

I agree! Loved them using the same sound effect.

Some people just should not cuss in alien, because they are not good at it. :p

I know the showrunner also worked on the Alien Nation series back in the day . . . but I hated the whole alien profanity attempt back then, as well. It just comes off as forced and not needed.

LtRobbiesan
04-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I am kinda meh about the songs being used, but hey it's meant to give an emotional connection to the characters, so I will deal with it.

The hellbugs were cool. Loved the sounds, just like in game (made me want to dive roll out of the way, and spin around with shotty ready to rock). The only thing that got me was that from the first body they found, Nolan probably should have realized Hellbugs could be the issue. (This is assuming he would have encountered these already on his travels [which may not be the case]). Also, loved the scene where Datak goes berserk on the Hellbugs. I was thinking "heavy melee!!". Would be cool to have that knife/sword in game as a weapon.

Interesting to see Irisa's 'sight' ability brought up. Wondering where they're taking us with this.

Lastly, it was cool to see the Irath given some land of their own, and welcomed back into the fold.

6Strummer
04-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Was it really required to be shirtless and oiled to help Iressa tap into her powers?

Just like a human to impose your view of morality on another culture. smh :P

As for diaper guy, I'll put up with that if it means more screen time for Kenya.

I thought this episode was the best yet overall, but that song at the end made me cringe.

Rasczak
04-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Just like a human to impose your view of morality on another culture. smh :P

As for diaper guy, I'll put up with that if it means more screen time for Kenya.

I thought this episode was the best yet overall, but that song at the end made me cringe.

The only song in the show that made be cry so far was the absolutely horrible cover of Nirvana in Episode 2. :p

Lasse B
04-30-2013, 11:07 AM
I wondered at that too, then had the same thought as Taaltos. I will also admit that physics has never been my strongest science, and I've fortunately never had the displeasure of being trapped in a plummeting elevator to know how likely that scene was. :D

But it was written that way to add some quick tension to the scene. Killing them off at that point would have been bad for the show. ;)

I was thinking about emergency brakes as well, but there's no indication of them activating. An emergency elevator brake system activates almost instantly so you only drop a few centimeters or inches or whatever. The film business usually has the emergency brakes giving off sparks as the elevator in question rushes to the ground. This episode of Defiance didn't have any of that, so ...

6Strummer
04-30-2013, 11:08 AM
The only song in the show that made be cry so far was the absolutely horrible cover of Nirvana in Episode 2. :p

Oh yeah that was cringe worthy also, but at least it was a bad cover of a song I like. The lyrics from the song last night... wow. I'd say last night's was worse. I'm not a fan of song/montages in general. It's rare that they work as intended.

Finlorim
04-30-2013, 11:16 AM
I want that knife/sword that D'tack (however you spell his name) used in the episode. That would be epic to take that weapon into pvp!

Irres169
04-30-2013, 11:17 AM

I think they were going for a slower acoustic version of it, like Jericho did for Times Like These , where it was acutally better than the original. This one sucked though.

Irres169
04-30-2013, 11:19 AM
I loved seeing the hellbug skitterlings in the show. I was shocked there was no idiot noob in his dodge charger that came out of nowhere to take care of them. ;)

Nactor
04-30-2013, 11:32 AM
Well,
iŽd like to see the dagger/sword as a melee too; one main gun and the blade acts as melee instead of the gun :)

Kierro Kai
04-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Hell bugs see by smell?

Don't see how because spiders, butter flys, ants, hell even snakes see smells or heat. Same with african rhinos horrible vision so they need smells to "see"

Rasczak
04-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Don't see how because spiders, butter flys, ants, hell even snakes see smells or heat. Same with african rhinos horrible vision so they need smells to "see"

Yeah. I didn't have a problem with that little tid-bit of Hellbug physiology, myself.

nosworc
04-30-2013, 12:57 PM
I'm enjoying the show so far, my only real critique would be the shoddy CGI, it just looks terrible.

Big Jack Shepard
04-30-2013, 01:49 PM
I was disappointed to see magic being used in this sci-fi show. I hope they keep it to an absolute minimum.

Rasczak
04-30-2013, 01:56 PM
I was disappointed to see magic being used in this sci-fi show. I hope they keep it to an absolute minimum.

I viewed it more as a psychic ability, and the ritual being one of religious symbolism to the race since they have a strong believe in their gods.

Which, incidentally, has been a sub-staple of science fiction for over 50 years.

Covington
04-30-2013, 02:01 PM
I viewed it more as a psychic ability, and the ritual being one of religious symbolism to the race since they have a strong believe in their gods.

Which, incidentally, has been a sub-staple of science fiction for over 50 years.

Also they ARE aliens... if we can have cyber implants, decoy, cloaking, ky poop, glowing energy sources and Terra forming... I think I can possibly accept that an Alien race can in fact have some type of telepathic oracle ability. Geeze call me crazy.

Big Jack Shepard
04-30-2013, 02:01 PM

Which, incidentally, has been a sub-staple of science fiction for over 50 years.Being able to see the past or the future is not a staple of hard sci-fi. That belongs in space fantasies like Star Wars.

cerberouse
04-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Also they ARE aliens... if we can have cyber implants, decoy, cloaking, ky poop, glowing energy sources and Terra forming... I think I can possibly accept that an Alien race can in fact have some type of telepathic oracle ability. Geeze call me crazy.

I litteraly read that as, " If we can have cyber implants, decoy, >>>K-POP<<<, glowing energy sources and terra forming..." xD

cerberouse
04-30-2013, 02:29 PM
I enjoyed the episode. It was great to see the hellbugs on my TV. I was excited to see them. The new types would be fun to encounter. I don't the R&J subplot. it adds to the drama. And I liked the little breakdown between Nolan and Ish. It really sent home that he is raising a person from a different culture (alien,) and does not have all the answers. He just wants whats best for her, and does not have all the info to be able to do that. Plus, we really got to see more of Ish and who she is, and her struggle to be not just a proud member of her own race, but also to make her adopted father proud. She is very troubled, and to see her make some strides to overcome was really interesting.

This most defenitly, I know a lot of people just want huge action scenes in every episode, but i love these one that build the characters and flesh them out. The very last scene in that montage at the end actually almost jerked a tear for me, it was so melancholy sweet <:3

I AM how ever a little afraid of where the Irathian influence might go in the next few episodes, and even next season. I'm worried they're going to get rid of Ish at some point, maybe to bring her back, maybe not to as she joins the spirit walkers. That would be a bit of a death knell for the show if that should occur.

Covington
04-30-2013, 02:30 PM
I litteraly read that as, " If we can have cyber implants, decoy, >>>K-POP<<<, glowing energy sources and terra forming..." xD

LOL I will take KPOP as KY poop. :D

6Strummer
04-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Being able to see the past or the future is not a staple of hard sci-fi. That belongs in space fantasies like Star Wars.

True to an extent, but that may change before long. As with many aspects of eastern philosophy, there's actually starting to be evidence for the concept of everything being connected on a fundamental level, which is all the scientific basis you need for psychic ability to be used in "hard" sci-fi.

SteveMND
04-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Being able to see the past or the future is not a staple of hard sci-fi. That belongs in space fantasies like Star Wars.

Defiance is hardly hard sci-fi. On my scale of 2001 Space Odyssey <> Babylon 5 <> Star Trek <> Star Wars, I'd put it somewhere around ST -- mostly reasonably sound "science," unless the plot calls for something. I was a little put off by the 'magic,' but yeah, I can live with a telepath or two running around.

That guy
04-30-2013, 03:29 PM
That fetish scene was like why the **** did that need to be there in the first episode my mom walked in right at that moment and freaked out FML.

thewoozle
04-30-2013, 03:53 PM
I just thought of something... Rafe McCully went-on a couple times about not having a computer, database, or the Internet... BUT, they obviously have technology and the trucks have navigation and music-playing computers. The stuff looks new enough to suggest that somebody somewhere is making technology... not to mention the maglev the E-rep wants to put through town.. so why doesn't the richest man in town have a computer?

IGears
04-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Well the only thing i notice was the Mayor's body....her butt is bigger in this episode :p

Golladan
04-30-2013, 04:34 PM
If anyone else wants to start a new thread to let people know.

This week's episode of Defiance matched last week's in ratings with a 0.8. Viewers were down a bit, by about .12 million viewers.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/04/30/monday-cable-ratings-nba-playoffs-win-night-wwe-raw-teen-mom-2-bates-motel-defiance-warehouse-13-more/180187/

WhiteCell
04-30-2013, 04:52 PM
If anyone else wants to start a new thread to let people know.

This week's episode of Defiance matched last week's in ratings with a 0.8. Viewers were down a bit, by about .12 million viewers.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/04/30/monday-cable-ratings-nba-playoffs-win-night-wwe-raw-teen-mom-2-bates-motel-defiance-warehouse-13-more/180187/

lol @ "teen mom" being watched by so many.

I fear for my country.

Last episode wasn't that bad but it wasn't that good either. The show is starting to get into weekly adventures instead of a overall story bridge like most good dramas. When is Dark Matter going to show up and get this crackin?

Dixa
04-30-2013, 04:54 PM
I agree! Loved them using the same sound effect.

I know the showrunner also worked on the Alien Nation series back in the day . . . but I hated the whole alien profanity attempt back then, as well. It just comes off as forced and not needed.

rockne s. o'bannon and "frell" would like a word with you...

Zeliska
04-30-2013, 05:05 PM
I think the storytelling is as expected for any first season of a science fiction (or any save reality tv) show: as it continues to develop and grow, some qualities will rise to the top, some aspects will be glaringly problematic, some ideas will be incredible and some attempts will fail more than succeed. But by and large, this has been a strong freshman attempt at trying something new and I think is laying some strong groundwork and foundation for both the series and the game simultaneously. We may not be able to see it "now" but by end of Season 2 and (crossed fingers) midway through season 3, we will see a greater stabilization in the overall story arc and the true shape and vision of this project.

Babylon 5 - probably my favorite science fiction series to date had a very, very, very lackluster first season - but it was necessary to set the stage for so many character arcs to develop and finally converge at the end of season 3, which imo, is one of the finest seasons of science fiction tv - period.

Squiddy
04-30-2013, 05:24 PM
I loved Datak's sword/knife thingy - I'm pretty sure they'll add melee weapons alongside with Castathians in the first DLC.

Rasczak
04-30-2013, 06:24 PM

Oh, trust me, I am well versed in hard science fiction, soft science fiction, space opera, and science fantasy.

I guess now would be the time to point out that Defiance is not hard science fiction.

Defiance would actually be soft science fiction with a lean toward space opera.

True to an extent, but that may change before long. As with many aspects of eastern philosophy, there's actually starting to be evidence for the concept of everything being connected on a fundamental level, which is all the scientific basis you need for psychic ability to be used in "hard" sci-fi.

This as well. I'd also point the first fella I quoted to Greg Bear, considered by many to be the spiritual successor to Arthur C. Clarke, and who has used psychic abilities, thoroughly explained, within several of his hard science fiction novels.

HuntGod
04-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Defiance is most definitely soft sci-fi/space opera...

I found the sex scene to be gratuitous and not really family friendly, it was the proverbial turd in the punchbowl, though she is very attractive.

Loved the bugs...

Can't wait to play a Casti Melee with the energy sword/knives...

Still enjoying the show...

Cutlass Jack
04-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Yeah the only thing Hard in Defiance is at the Need/Want.

...that Bar looks like its pretty sturdy.