PDA

View Full Version : Tips for GM's from your average rocket scientist

lipe123
04-29-2013, 09:33 PM
How about you guys bother to show up for the odd arkfall and witness everything being instakilled in <15 seconds by these ******************************-ing hackers thats ruining the game faster than you can say "omghaxwtf".

Seriousley WHAT THE HELL are you guys doing about the rampant damage hacking going on?!

This game is VERY fast losing every last shred of credibility.

KashraFall
04-29-2013, 10:45 PM
It is hard to believe this is being said by a Canadian Rocket Scientist. Far too many obscenities.

lipe123
04-29-2013, 10:58 PM
It is hard to believe this is being said by a Canadian Rocket Scientist. Far too many obscenities.

You do realize I'm going for irony here because its common sense to monitor large scale events where its easy to see when one or two players completely dominate and everyone else struggle to do any kind of damage.

Also those are actual asterisks since it would be damn near impossible to string together so much obscenities to generate that (maybe its possible but that was never the intent). It's meant to convey the MASSIVE amounts of frustration I feel when I attempt to have some fun in the game and then get it ruined at EVERY SINGLE arkfall all night long by the same 2 guys that hack as obvious as daylight.
So now that I explained English comprehension 101(even though English is my 2nd language), does this game even have GM's?

I mean first of all there is no ticketing system or bug tracker so I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't any ingame monitoring at all.

Qei
04-30-2013, 12:13 AM
I was going to post a Chris Hadfield meme denouncing your claim of rocket science, but it occurred to me that your post will probably get deleted anyways.

tuckerpb
04-30-2013, 05:20 AM
I am starting to think the devs are the hackers.

Iceberg
04-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Wouldn't it be easier for them just to go to youtube and see all that stuff?

Qoreman
04-30-2013, 01:13 PM
OH OH a "Canadian" rocket scientist... thats different.

Lindrei
04-30-2013, 01:32 PM
On behalf of the rest of the Canada I would like to asure you that lipe123's outburst was not that of your average Canadian and he/she is been taken to a reeducation centre to become Canadian one more.

jnt
04-30-2013, 03:22 PM
I was going to post a Chris Hadfield meme denouncing your claim of rocket science, but it occurred to me that your post will probably get deleted anyways.

It'll just get locked unless someone really steps it up. You have to hurt another player's feelings to get a post deleted.

Santana Ortega
04-30-2013, 03:29 PM
You do realize that those he is asking to monitor the Arkfalls are also monitoring these forums...neither of which they seem to care much about.

After all, Rocket Scientist or not his claims are valid. Especially since Arkfalls are pretty much the backstory of the game. And if abused by hackers, the designers should be doing something other then adding lazy content like pursuits.

jnt
04-30-2013, 03:38 PM
You do realize that those he is asking to monitor the Arkfalls are also monitoring these forums...neither of which they seem to care much about.

After all, Rocket Scientist or not his claims are valid. Especially since Arkfalls are pretty much the backstory of the game. And if abused by hackers, the designers should be doing something other then adding lazy content like pursuits.

Forum mods are not GMs. Lol. I can also personally attest to the consequences of hurting people's feelings on the forums.

Sanguinesun
04-30-2013, 04:15 PM
The OP doesnt get that the Defiance's Trion team is not a proactive but a reactive policing system. As well he doesnt get the fact that due to the way that they've implemented the design of the game, almost any preventive measures they throw out are made obsolete in a few hours or days by new versions of exploits and then the lemmings download them from there to use. Their team just simply doesnt have the resources to stem the tide even though they like to spin that they can/are.

I hate that such is the case but given the scope of how they ignored warnings on so many issues in alpha; and then post launch Oveur spends so much time writing worthless blog posts reminiscent of Bill Roper to patronize and misdirect from all the issues, it doesnt take much to realize then that no lasting solution to this problem or others are in sight.

lipe123
04-30-2013, 04:18 PM
While I am glad that you all seem to latch onto the "rocket scientist" part which as I described before is irony for "every moron alive can figure out that to catch the biggest cheaters you goto the biggest events in game and monitor them"

I have to say I find it crazy that out of all the responses only one person actually saw the merit in my suggestion and the rest of you don't have any opinion about the rampant hacking or lack of GM's

Kublakhan
04-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Canadian rocket scientist

http://s3.amazonaws.com/auteurs_production/images/film/bottle-rocket/w448/bottle-rocket.jpg?1323887085

WarMachine
04-30-2013, 05:54 PM
I mean first of all there is no ticketing system or bug tracker so I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't any ingame monitoring at all.
You'd think a rocket scientist could find the ingame ticketing system. But I could be wrong, as this dumb grunt found it after his first bug.

SWFTWLF
04-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Y'know there's not like a RAMPANT amount of damage-hacking, so why get so mad? I mean hell most of the DPS comes from simply having prettier guns they probably paid IRL money for.

lipe123
04-30-2013, 09:21 PM
You'd think a rocket scientist could find the ingame ticketing system. But I could be wrong, as this dumb grunt found it after his first bug.

Orly you call that a ticketing system? It has no public access to view what open tickets there are, so we can go "I have this problem also" and upvoting certain issues or add additional info.
It has no listing of whats been fixed or whats being worked on.

And for the LAST DAMN TIME!!! http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rocket%20scientist

But hey who cares about the problems in the game, lets all instead say things like threads pointing out obvious solutions to real problems need to be locked.
Or attack the people that mention problems with the game with all kinds of nonsense and ignore the bigger picture.

@SWFTWLF You know maybe in your timezone or w/e there isn't an issue but every arkfall for the last few days that I've been to everything died in seconds. There is no way in hell a monarch bug can be killed in 2 seconds with no crit zones exposed at all with a single swarm cannon.

Someone else mentioned how Trion does not take any proactive measures in their games as if this "fact" should be obvious and the way things are supposed to be. You know what good sir, maybe it's time people speak up and ask "why is there no proactive 'policing' of the game" to deter hacking in the first place rather than just responding to issues after they are already widespread and caused a lot of damage to the reputation of the game and the company.

SWFTWLF
04-30-2013, 09:26 PM
@SWFTWLF You know maybe in your timezone or w/e there isn't an issue but every arkfall for the last few days that I've been to everything died in seconds. There is no way in hell a monarch bug can be killed in 2 seconds with no crit zones exposed at all with a single swarm cannon.

Someone else mentioned how Trion does not take any proactive measures in their games as if this "fact" should be obvious and the way things are supposed to be. You know what good sir, maybe it's time people speak up and ask "why is there no proactive 'policing' of the game" to deter hacking in the first place rather than just responding to issues after they are already widespread and caused a lot of damage to the reputation of the game and the company.

See I'm not sure if you're trolling or just unaware that when there's 20-30 people shooting the same hellbug, of course they would die faster.

Also as I'm in the US, I'd probably say my time-zone is roughly the same as yours, give or take a couple hours.

jenn
04-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_zAXIAdGIg

lipe123
04-30-2013, 10:40 PM
See I'm not sure if you're trolling or just unaware that when there's 20-30 people shooting the same hellbug, of course they would die faster.

Also as I'm in the US, I'd probably say my time-zone is roughly the same as yours, give or take a couple hours.

Now who is trolling? You do realize that I said: WITH ONE SWARM CANNON SHOT. Or did you conveniently forget to read that part?
Also you do realize the majority of weapons do <50 damage to the monarch unless you manage to get its crit spots which is only visible for short time periods.

Also do you think its normal for the red crystal to be destroyed in a matter of seconds with none of the little openings provided by the skitterbugs?

I guess people like you that are blissfully unaware the only solution is to make some recordings with fraps, which I will happily do for you ignorant ones this weekend then.

@Jenn: Lol good one, that bailiff's look sums me up perfectly when I read some of the responses here.

MacDeath
04-30-2013, 10:51 PM

The forum mods are not GMs. GMs are part of CS, forum mods are part of Community. Come ON people, this stuff isn't rocket surgery!

tommyfreelance
05-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Ok, a lot of people keep claiming that there seems to be people "Hacking the game" in order to get top tir in event's such as Ark falls yet I've been in 20 some odd Ark falls on both of my characters and have scored top tir about 6 of those time's and the rest I have at least been in the top ten with out using any "hack's" so I don't understand when people claim "there are hackers in the game!" Which most likely there are but the truth is use high damage weapons such as rifle's, give your self the loot ammo bonus power and max it out, and buy a better shield.

Trust me you will see your damage out put jump ten fold.

Acindo
05-01-2013, 12:22 AM
OP makes an irate yet fairly valid post. Most people reply with some stupid ****ing pointless comment.

Sorry so many people are idiots OP.

Would be great if they could monitor some of these things.

Half the people replying here dont even read what they are replying to. You conveniently reply to one part yet ignore another. What is this religion or something? Geez.

ghostercon
05-01-2013, 12:40 AM
No hacking in pve...right....

http://i41.tinypic.com/29v1kkn.png

The top score guy was 1 shooting the scrapper arkfalls, then 1 shoot to the progenitor . The 20 rest of us, just watched and managed to do around 100k dmg while he did 5kk dmg.

And we all started together from the beginning.

Joe Ashrust
05-01-2013, 01:45 AM
I started a thread about this two nights ago when I first saw it, Sunday night. I was completely shocked something like that was happening. I don't think the dev's will bother until the insta-gib mass kill thing gets into PvP then they will HAVE to do something, or everyone will stop playing.

It's bad enough with the knuckle heads running Cerebus around an Ark Fall they really need to get this worked out.

Sanguinesun
05-01-2013, 01:50 AM

Because lipe, the amount of resources required for a proactive system would require more GM's and customer service support staff than world of warcraft. This would be required not just for the sheer constant monitoring on every aspect of game, code, and players, but also because of the client side manner that most of the important code aspects of the game are done, and the core of why it is so easy for hacks to be made and the speed of their makings.

Again, nothing you can do other than venting as you are.

Strontium Dog
05-01-2013, 06:43 AM
Is this mainly on NA server because I have to say after many an evening spent chasing arkfalls i have yet to see anything resembling a hacker in any of them.

Not saying they aren't there or in pvp but just curious as to where they are residing .

jnt
05-01-2013, 07:36 AM
No hacking in pve...right....

http://i41.tinypic.com/29v1kkn.png

The top score guy was 1 shooting the scrapper arkfalls, then 1 shoot to the progenitor . The 20 rest of us, just watched and managed to do around 100k dmg while he did 5kk dmg.

And we all started together from the beginning.

I still haven't seen that in game. I feel lucky :D

jnt
05-01-2013, 07:37 AM
I started a thread about this two nights ago when I first saw it, Sunday night. I was completely shocked something like that was happening. I don't think the dev's will bother until the insta-gib mass kill thing gets into PvP then they will HAVE to do something, or everyone will stop playing.

It's bad enough with the knuckle heads running Cerebus around an Ark Fall they really need to get this worked out.

It's been in pvp this whole time.

Conneri
05-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Canada's version of rocket science is a little misleading.
http://www.thebeerrocket.com/index.html

lipe123
05-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Because lipe, the amount of resources required for a proactive system would require more GM's and customer service support staff than world of warcraft. This would be required not just for the sheer constant monitoring on every aspect of game, code, and players, but also because of the client side manner that most of the important code aspects of the game are done, and the core of why it is so easy for hacks to be made and the speed of their makings.

Again, nothing you can do other than venting as you are.

Actually what it requires is ONE GM per server. Are you familiar with the concept of "word of mouth"?

Everyone already gets the summary of damage done at the end of an arkfall and I'm sure they could implement a live version of that summary for GM's with very little extra effort. All the GM needs to do is look at the windows of the current arkfalls and damage being done in them.
It's not rocket science to spot a player doing 100x more damage than everyone else from start to finish especially when the event just started and you see a player already racking up 9000 damage within the first 7 seconds of the arkfall -its a nobrainer!!(You don't even have to be a rocket scientist!!).

Now all the GM does is teleport to that player with a big flashy entrance and being fully visible of everyone there say in a loud booming god-like voice "player <insert hacker tool name here> has been identified as hacking and will henceforth be banned forever and we are also sending agents to his house to maim his family members, that is all"(yes the maiming of family members part is a JOKE because some ***** here in the forum is going to call me out on that for sure).

Done, easy as that. Everyone saw a hacker, they saw the repercussion and soon everyone will know "if you hack you will get banned on the spot, its not worth the risk"

I'm willing to bet my left ******** that if GM's did this just 2-3 arkfalls per day the amount of hackers will drop by 99% in under 2 weeks.

Conneri
05-01-2013, 12:22 PM
The GMs are already banning players for hacking. However, as with almost every game out there, you are not entitled to know what those actions are or how they are carried out. Doing large sums of damage within an arkfall is not a reason for banning. The GMs do far more than look at those numbers (which they already do look at). Just yesterday an arkfall popped up for me right after clearing out a hellbug infestation with the chain gun. I happily used it to do just shy of 1mil damage to the next person's 100k.

jnt
05-01-2013, 12:35 PM
The GMs are already banning players for hacking. However, as with almost every game out there, you are not entitled to know what those actions are or how they are carried out. Doing large sums of damage within an arkfall is not a reason for banning. The GMs do far more than look at those numbers (which they already do look at). Just yesterday an arkfall popped up for me right after clearing out a hellbug infestation with the chain gun. I happily used it to do just shy of 1mil damage to the next person's 100k.

I had the minigun fail to disappear after doing a roadside emergency. Probably the most fun I've had in Defiance.

lipe123
05-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Which is fine because everyone would notice you carrying around a massive chaingun and I'm sure "weapon used" would be listed in the logs the GM's look at.

Once again you are making a simplified assumption that makes no sense. No one ever said that the criteria was "the most damage" or "a lot of damage" being done in arkfalls. There are some really obvious cases of players instagibbing everything and anything in the entire arkfall like the picture posted on the previous page with some guy ending with just shy of 5mil damage.

And you know what this BS about not being allowed to know who got banned for what is making no sense at all. Why is everyone just accepting wrongs as "the way things are" without question or concern?

SWFTWLF
05-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Which is fine because everyone would notice you carrying around a massive chaingun and I'm sure "weapon used" would be listed in the logs the GM's look at.

Once again you are making a simplified assumption that makes no sense. No one ever said that the criteria was "the most damage" or "a lot of damage" being done in arkfalls. There are some really obvious cases of players instagibbing everything and anything in the entire arkfall like the picture posted on the previous page with some guy ending with just shy of 5mil damage.

And you know what this BS about not being allowed to know who got banned for what is making no sense at all. Why is everyone just accepting wrongs as "the way things are" without question or concern?

Probably because half of it is commonplace in all games, and the other half is just you being pissed for things out of your control.

This isn't Call of Duty - if people cheat, does it REALLY effect your gaming experience that much? No? You mean the hackers aren't PK-ing people in PvE? And PvP was already broken before people figured out they could hack their weapons client-side? The hell you say?

SWFTWLF
05-01-2013, 01:58 PM

I had a similar experience carrying around that special grenade launcher to a minor mutant arkfall once. Solo'd and there were no survivors... *puts on sunglasses* A real bang-up job.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-M7yaAXjTMEU/T3k5NoqXMII/AAAAAAAAAtQ/0s57U2FK8Zo/s400/csi_miami_yeah_super.jpg

jnt
05-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Probably because half of it is commonplace in all games, and the other half is just you being pissed for things out of your control.

This isn't Call of Duty - if people cheat, does it REALLY effect your gaming experience that much? No? You mean the hackers aren't PK-ing people in PvE? And PvP was already broken before people figured out they could hack their weapons client-side? The hell you say?

1 person can end a major arkfall in seconds. It's a pretty serious issue if someone kills the Matron before anyone even a tad behind dismounts.

SWFTWLF
05-01-2013, 02:14 PM
1 person can end a major arkfall in seconds. It's a pretty serious issue if someone kills the Matron before anyone even a tad behind dismounts.

Yeah but Arkfalls are only one aspect of the game, and people are more likely to be blown away from the crystal by a random explosion than to find the one super-hacker-on-steroids that can demolish a Matron or a Hellion in seconds.

jnt
05-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Yeah but Arkfalls are only one aspect of the game, and people are more likely to be blown away from the crystal by a random explosion than to find the one super-hacker-on-steroids that can demolish a Matron or a Hellion in seconds.

Arguably nothing in the game really matters. I don't need more blue grenades from arkfalls personally. You get 3 keys just for shooting a mob in a minor arkfall without even going to the major.

A client this easy to manipulate and the inevitable exposure given to hackers really ratchets up the fear level in a gaming population. You're dealing less with people who have been wronged then you are with people nearly paralyzed that they will be wronged.

Valethar
05-01-2013, 02:21 PM
I am starting to think the devs are the hackers.

PvP = Players vs Programmers?

(I stole that from another thread... )

jnt
05-01-2013, 02:26 PM
PvP = Players vs Programmers?

(I stole that from another thread... )

If it were harder to get into the client data maybe :D Any ******* can google and dl it.

Coorta
05-01-2013, 02:33 PM
I would actually care about this is if it was based on damage what loot you get. But since all you seem to get at the end is a grenade and shield, I honestly do not care. Besides, the ones who are cheating to the play the game are ruining the game for themselves as well. All they get out of it is "I am so l33t cos I can haxorz your game and stroke my epeen at the same time". They don't play a game for the enjoyment factor. They play it to make themselves look good, when in fact all they are doing is making themselves look like morons who cheat there way through every single game they play, because it takes intelligence to play a game properly. That is something these cheaters lack.

Coorta
05-01-2013, 02:40 PM
I have seen that hacker "Seee" a few times. Even grouped up in a co-op with him/her/it and he/she/it instakilled the last boss of the dungeon doing 500k+ damage. Did NOTHING during the entire co-op till the last boss.

lipe123
05-01-2013, 07:41 PM

I always wondered who chose whats important to players and now we FINALLY have the answer!

Thanks SWFTWLF, if it wasn't for you I would have continued to believe that taking part in arkfalls to see who does the most damage with my friends was something I enjoyed. I now see, thanks to you, that the things I thought was fun is not fun at all and will now /uninstall and take up a new hobby like yodeling or something.

What a total nonsense response, both PVP and PVE are massively affected by the game and in a game where there is already SO LITTLE to do in the first place you are saying that PVP and arkfalls and co-op missions (60% of all game content) being ruined by hackers isnt really a big deal. Instead we should do what exactly?

Get freaking real and stop defending hackers and the pathetic response(no response at all) from Trion about the issue!

SWFTWLF
05-02-2013, 12:42 PM
I always wondered who chose whats important to players and now we FINALLY have the answer!

Thanks SWFTWLF, if it wasn't for you I would have continued to believe that taking part in arkfalls to see who does the most damage with my friends was something I enjoyed. I now see, thanks to you, that the things I thought was fun is not fun at all and will now /uninstall and take up a new hobby like yodeling or something.

What a total nonsense response, both PVP and PVE are massively affected by the game and in a game where there is already SO LITTLE to do in the first place you are saying that PVP and arkfalls and co-op missions (60% of all game content) being ruined by hackers isnt really a big deal. Instead we should do what exactly?

Get freaking real and stop defending hackers and the pathetic response(no response at all) from Trion about the issue!

I'm not defending anyone, simply pointing out that you are mad about things that are happening to everyone but usually don't effect the casual player of a game that is very obviously broken.

tl;dr - LOL U MAD?

lipe123
05-02-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm not defending anyone, simply pointing out that you are mad about things that are happening to everyone but usually don't effect the casual player of a game that is very obviously broken.

tl;dr - LOL U MAD?

I don't see how you can justify these cheaters by saying it doesn't affect the casual player. Especially when you said just one sentence ago that it affects everyone.

Am I mad?, hell yes I am. This game cost me 60$ and there is no proper staff or maintenance being done on it.
This should have been a free to play game or a subscription based game with a 2 hour trial or whatever. If that was the case almost no PC players would be playing it.