PDA

View Full Version : My computer hates this game :(

PrimalSiren
04-30-2013, 10:15 AM
I have an older laptop, but it's all I have to game with. My laptop hits temps around 205 degrees while playing Defiance. The other games that I play only take it to about 175. Does anyone else notice their laptop heating up a lot with this game? I will be sadpanda if I can't play anymore :(

a6n0rma1
04-30-2013, 10:22 AM
I had the same problem. Defiance really likes heating up graphic cards, especially on laptops. Just download MSI afterburner (http://download1.msi.com/files/downloads/uti_exe/vga/MSIAfterburnerSetup300Beta9.zip). Install it on your laptop. Open up the program and next to fan speed on the main window, click on the user defined setting. Then just minimize MSI afterburner on the taskbar and run the game as usual. You will notice, that the fan on your laptop will start spinning like crazy, but the game will run with no problems at all. Should your laptop reach meltdown temperatures again, just exit the game, relaunch MSI afterburner and click on settings, then fan and edit the fan speed curve so that it's steeper and starts from lower temperatures.

Ngamok
04-30-2013, 10:24 AM
I hope not because my desktop runs the game fine, but GW2 makes my driver stop working and heat to spike. I'll have to DL Defiance onto my laptop some night this week and see from Steam.

ironhands
04-30-2013, 10:30 AM
I have an older laptop, but it's all I have to game with. My laptop hits temps around 205 degrees while playing Defiance. The other games that I play only take it to about 175. Does anyone else notice their laptop heating up a lot with this game? I will be sadpanda if I can't play anymore :(

gaming on a laptop is rough. I would hope you have a cooling pad? you can usually get them pretty cheap, and check your air vents/filters to make sure there's nothing clogging them up.

PrimalSiren
04-30-2013, 10:38 AM
gaming on a laptop is rough. I would hope you have a cooling pad? you can usually get them pretty cheap, and check your air vents/filters to make sure there's nothing clogging them up.

Yep I have a cooling pad and just cleaned my laptop and all the vents and fan. I'll do what the PP said and see how it goes.

Rabid_Byter
05-04-2013, 10:05 AM
did someone take it apart and clean it? please dont blow air thru them it just packs up inside and plugs it up. if you have a cat or dog it needs cleaning every year or two.. the heatsink in laptops cools both the CPU and the Graphics card.. the people that made it also probably used bubble gum as thermal paste. sometimes the graphics chip and the CPU chip are Not on the same plane, and spacers are needed to fill the gap, the factory doesnt check for that, or fix it when they know they are doing it... i have had to use a hot air wand to to remove what looked like a big wad of melted plastic off a board, that should have been grey paste that alcohol could wipe off. the factory uses what is called "Thermal Tape" it is CRAP. if you haven't had your laptop cleaned at least every 2 years and the thermal paste replaced the first time.. you may start seeing groups of big pixals, usually in the upper right corner of your screen..!turn it off and take it to the shop! if you dont you will soon see vertical bars in the screen and soon it will go Black.. FOR EVER. and you may need a new Motherboard, the shop probably has some used ones pretty cheap.. laptops have REALLY BAD cooling systems. if you play games on them, i'd use the games' lowest settings.