PDA

View Full Version : Running backwards

crasher
04-30-2013, 02:13 PM
Dear Ann Landers:

I go to arkfalls for two reasons.

1.) Hunting Archers.
It makes me feel all warm and cuddly to protect my fellow players as best I can from stuff sneaking up behind them while they're busy.

2.) Hunting Monarchs.

a.) I like to get in close. And I'm kind of getting the impression that their pixels are starting to recognize my pixels. :D
I mean, I'm feeling targeted before I get close, and I'm getting hunted back. I never thought I'd spend money on a video game so I could spend soooo much time being SET ON FIRE.
I assume everyone who gets upcloseandpersonal with a Monarch gets the same treatment from them, it's just weird feeling.

b.) This leads me to the point of wishing I could run backwards faster.
I know IRL that I'd be running backwards through walls at all kinds of speed if one of those things was pursuing me across Tranquility Square.

Why can't I manage anything faster than a backwards shamble? Am I missing some secretsquirrel pc computer key combination to enable it?

Short of playing 'Mr. Otter Makes a Sammich', what can I do?
Signed:
Singed in Virginia.

Tgreen
04-30-2013, 02:19 PM
I'd be pretty sure if you run backwards in real life, guns blazing no less, you'd trip after a few steps and get eaten within a matter of seconds.

ps: Blur.

Bopbarker
04-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Strafe is awesome, especially if you add a roll or a sprint to spice things up.

Dana Dawn
04-30-2013, 02:56 PM
I love rolling and strafing, but I am often stupid, doing rolls during reloading meaning I am not reloading.

I see it all the time in action movies; reloading during a roll. Why can't our characters manage that. Could we get an EGO perk for this?

Bopbarker
04-30-2013, 03:06 PM
Throw on the preparedness perk. Run out of ammo----> switch weapon-----> dodge ----> use the other weapon a bit-----> dodge some more----> switch back to a full magazine. Maybe not in that order, but you will learn to love preparedness.

SteveMND
04-30-2013, 03:07 PM
I assume everyone who gets upcloseandpersonal with a Monarch gets the same treatment from them, it's just weird feeling.

I'll admit it: I feel a little awkward pride when a Monarch start to target me exclusively and chases me all over an arkfall.

crasher
04-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Throw on the preparedness perk. Run out of ammo----> switch weapon-----> dodge ----> use the other weapon a bit-----> dodge some more----> switch back to a full magazine. Maybe not in that order, but you will learn to love preparedness.

Thats how I keep my SAW and CS-X Cluster Shot loaded.
:D

Out51d3r
04-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Dear Ann Landers:

I go to arkfalls for two reasons.

1.) Hunting Archers.
It makes me feel all warm and cuddly to protect my fellow players as best I can from stuff sneaking up behind them while they're busy.

2.) Hunting Monarchs.

a.) I like to get in close. And I'm kind of getting the impression that their pixels are starting to recognize my pixels. :D
I mean, I'm feeling targeted before I get close, and I'm getting hunted back. I never thought I'd spend money on a video game so I could spend soooo much time being SET ON FIRE.

b.) This leads me to the point of wishing I could run backwards faster.
I know IRL that I'd be running backwards through walls at all kinds of speed if one of those things was pursuing me across Tranquility Square.

You're one of those dudes that keeps the heat off of me while I annihilate the bosses. I like that.

It's interesting that there is kindof a tank role in this game. My weapon loadout is supremely capable of burning down high priority targets quickly, but absolutely sucks at sweeping away the hordes of other stuff that pops in. I'm guessing you end up with a fair amount of kills, but not neccessarily alot of damage(on the other hand, I'm nearly always near top damage, with very few kills).

As far as your speed issue, I recommend the Escape Artist perk. +45% speed when your shields are down. It's pretty noticeable.

thejx4
04-30-2013, 07:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgyk71VRoUE

Do damage/evade, do damage, evade. Enemies have attack patterns, and only perform certain attacks when you're at a certain range. You can stop warriors from digging underground by always staying close and evaded they're melee attack. Monarch's will swing at you and get they're....arm(?) stuck in the ground.

Dodge.

Cirvante
04-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Side-roll is your friend. Monarch comes at you? Always dodge to the side, their attacks have quite a bit of range so running backwards isn't very clever. I can dance with a monarch until he's dead without getting hit even once. Their attack patterns are very predictable and easy to avoid.