PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone actually use pistols?

Cricket
04-30-2013, 02:22 PM
I mean other than for pursuit purposes, or tho level them? Can someone tell me if you have a wicked pistol? I see almost no need for them in-game. However, in the show they seem very useful... Nolan always has one at the right time... just curious if I should mod one or never look at them again....

EdgeTW
Can of worms inc.

Ngamok
Nope. Mostly Shotgun, AR, SMG.

Cricket
04-30-2013, 02:23 PM
Same here...

TravelerX1
04-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Hit level 10 with Pistols yesterday. Look at the crit multipliers on some of them, worth the try. I was doubtful at first but I have 2-3 models that I use constantly. (Wolfhound, Wolverine, Northstar (Even post nerf it's still ok with the right build)

I play mostly PVE though, in PVP I would think they would get ya killed, LOL

Fraga
04-30-2013, 02:27 PM
I pretty much always have a wolfhound as my secondary weapon.

Ryme
04-30-2013, 02:29 PM
I do. the Wolfhound is good for Arkfall crystals. The Wolverine is an all around good burst weapon. The Blaster I use in coop maps for timed Boss kill achievements. My only complaint with pistols is that their reserve ammo count is a bit low.

Covington
04-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Nope but I keep one just in case something goes terribly wrong and I run out of bullets.

XxBIGWOODxX
04-30-2013, 02:30 PM
VBI Wolfhounds shred up the destroy the crystal arkfalls,, that's about it, and I do like to use northstar flares occasionally.

Cricket
04-30-2013, 02:32 PM
So are your pistols modded or just as is? I mean are you high level in pistols making them better or is it the gun itself.

CosmicDebri
04-30-2013, 02:33 PM
I carried Nim's pistol around for awhile before I equipped it to try. It's pretty nice.... extremely fast fire and seems to pack a wallop..... runs outta ammo very fast tho....

Tgreen
04-30-2013, 02:38 PM
As long as the target can be hit for critical damage VBI Wolfhound's by far the highest damage weapon in the game.
If you don't have one VBI TACC make nice substitutes.

Live2Reap
04-30-2013, 02:40 PM
I don't always use a pistol but I keep 2-3 on hand and they are quite powerful. The above mentioned Wolfhounds and Wolverines are close range MONSTERS and I am currently using an EMC Magnum that I like quite a bit... though without the right mods I don't think it can compare to a Wolfhound and its x4 base crit

Facade
04-30-2013, 02:40 PM
If you can hit critical spots some of the pistols will demolish anything in front of you incredibly fast.

Soobydoo
04-30-2013, 02:44 PM
A pistol (esp. a flare gun) + the 'pumped up' skill = very fast ego cooldowns

And I agree, Wolfhound is a beast.

Malachi
04-30-2013, 02:45 PM
Wolfhound ftw. I use it for everything. That's how I used to play Borderlands also, nothing but Pistols for amazing headshots.

Epshiluss
04-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Wolfhound-6 is capable of dealing the highest damage per second with critical. You could kill a hulker with 1 in 5 seconds. Believe me i've done it, granted this was against a hulker when I bypassed the damage limit from when they take their helmets off.

Misfit501
04-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Wolfhound all the way baby!

DaMaJaDiZ
04-30-2013, 02:51 PM
I carry a Wolfhound, but rarely ever use it. It really is just a back up firearm for me.

SteveMND
04-30-2013, 02:52 PM
As mentioned, the key to effective pistol use is being good with the aim; many (if not most) have extremely good crit multipliers that can make short work of enemies.

TravelerX1
04-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Flare is the only one that really *needs* a mod because a 1 mag..... SUCKS! LOL
I mod most of mine with the best crit barrel I can get, extra mag, and the recoil/bloom stock. A sight on a pistol is more PITA then a boon, so I usually only do the Barrel Mag and Stock. But basically any mod or level.....that is just Gravy. A wolfhound even early in level is a monster. Base crit multiplier is like 4 so the crit damage is huge.

P.S. I use white and green wolfs to level to 10, so better versions are even more deadly.

Taaltos
04-30-2013, 02:53 PM
It's in a loadout. I use it depending on the situation. A good pistol works great against humanoids in Co-ops.

ratt707
04-30-2013, 03:18 PM
not alot, but being that there is a pursuit tied to pistol lvling (and lvling every other weapon) looks like im gonna have to. In my limited use, crit damage is impressive and it is nice pistols use a different ammo type than AR, SMG, LMG.

Gonna find a place for pistols on one of my loadouts.

MARKINEMPAC82S
04-30-2013, 03:19 PM
The endgame mission pistol is boss

cusman
04-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Hit level 10 with Pistols yesterday. Look at the crit multipliers on some of them, worth the try. I was doubtful at first but I have 2-3 models that I use constantly. (Wolfhound, Wolverine, Northstar (Even post nerf it's still ok with the right build)

I play mostly PVE though, in PVP I would think they would get ya killed, LOL

Before the Patch there were some people in there using the Northstar Pistols. Not sure about not... also the Headshots trophy is probably easiest to get by using Pistol to headshot kill other players. That gun you get for completing the game is very good for it.

Edit: You don't get Headshot medals when using pistol but they still count for trophy purposes. Much easier than trying to use Bolt-Action or Semi-Auto Snipers.

Krapoton
04-30-2013, 03:29 PM
You can't use pistols on consoles because of the ****ty framerate AND the ****ty aim with a pad (even with the assisted aim for assisted people)

On pc, with a mouse, the pistols are pretty awesome.

Shada Mori
04-30-2013, 03:36 PM
All my favorite weapons in the game are pistols to be honest, true story. Wolverine, Wolfhound, and VOT Blaster. The wolverine and Blaster are beasts for close/danger close range, and the Wolfhound is probably the highest damage medium close weapon in the game if you have a modicum of aim.

I almost always have a pistol in one of my slots depending on which weapon its paired with. If its a shotgun or other close range weapon like a SMG or Infector, or an LMG I use a Wolfhound for fast medium precision shooting, if its a sniper or AR or similar I use a Wolverine or Blaster for when things get a bit too close.

My biggest beef with pistols is the fact they have half the ammo pool of other guns. I don't really understand it personally, but overall yeah I love pistols.

Cavadus
04-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Clearly the OP doesn't understand pistols' relationship with critical modifiers.

Once one figures that out one understands what role pistols serve.

Btw, if you're at an arkfall crystal and shooting the weak points exposed by the skitterlings with anything other than a pistol you're wrong. Ditto for the heat sinks on the scrapper armatures.

Ryme
04-30-2013, 03:53 PM
I feel that pistols are the most versatile weapon class. Just about every variant is good for something. If the Devs one day decide to limit every character to just one type of weapon, I would pick pistols.

Nmalthus
04-30-2013, 03:54 PM
I use the Deta Aru you get from the main missions.

Ichidakiller
04-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Wolfhound destroys at arkfalls until the monarch/helion comes out.

I always keep a few loadouts with a pistol. If you can aim and hit the weakspots. You can pretty much walk through anything in this game with a pistol.

Pistol with good aiming skills, the right perks and a properly modded wolfhound fun way to play.

Assasino
04-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Had a Wolfhound and one day it was no longer in my inventory, have found another and it does seem to do good damage just currently the reload is so darn slow. I guess i just need mods, have any of you found mods for faster reloads on pistols? I mainly use a VOT Blaster, not huge damage but it is quick to shoot, not bad to reload and good amount of capacity.

Ryme
04-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Had a Wolfhound and one day it was no longer in my inventory, have found another and it does seem to do good damage just currently the reload is so darn slow. I guess i just need mods, have any of you found mods for faster reloads on pistols? I mainly use a VOT Blaster, not huge damage but it is quick to shoot, not bad to reload and good amount of capacity.

I believe there is also a perk that increases your reload by 30% if you are standing still when it goes into the animation.

Racheakt
04-30-2013, 04:29 PM
I use a wolfhound and an AR, consitantly in the top 5-6 at ark falls

IF you can aim nothing beats a wolfhound.

Nightbreeze
04-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Pistols are my favorite weapons in the game. The hit hard and fast, reload fast, and have excellent crit. Underused and underestimated. Wolfhound is my favorite among them, with TACC Autopistol close second (nice 2 round burst, still pretty accurate and controllable), and with a good revolver and good aiming you can play sniper and 1 shot enemies in the head. Blasters can shred people up close with full auto glee. Wolverines have a lot of punch if you need to shred face too, but that 4 round burst will eat your ammo almost as fast as the full auto, and much less control and accuracy with those 2. Never leave home without your trusty Wolfhound!

Zov
04-30-2013, 04:35 PM
I just modded my Wolfhound to get 5 crit, that plus the crit bonus I get from ego powers does some great damage.

BJWyler
04-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Yeah - I use a pistol, but that's because I'm still a noob and the last shooter I played was the Original Doom. I do kinda like having at least one to rely on though.

Mirimon
04-30-2013, 04:39 PM
+ to clip mod, + to reload speed, and w/e other mods with + to rate of fire in the synergy.. make a slow firing mag type pistol soo incredibly lethal it ain't even funny, once you make one you will say "and people cried about shotguns??" (if you already haven't), caveat: some improved aiming skill required.

In the end it allows me to snipe at ASR range or 1 shot most people in the back during pvp.

Out51d3r
04-30-2013, 04:42 PM
As mentioned repeatedly, the Wolfhound is awesome. I get #1 in hellbug destruction arkfalls with it regularly, and get high ranks in most of the other arkfall types with it as well(I think I've gotten #1 rank in every single arkfall type with it at some point or another).

The Blaster/Mag-Blaster/Detu Ara is also pretty good. Does tonnes of dps, limitted by low ammo capacity. Makes a good backup weapon for when something pops up in front of you and you need to kill it RFN.

The Wolverine and VBI Tacc are also pretty good, though I don't use them much.

If you are a precision shooter, pistols are pretty great in general. They are accurate, have pretty good damage, and VERY good crit multipliers. They take a bit more skill than the other weapon types(due to requiring crits to make full use of them), but the payoff is worth it. The ammo capacity limits them, but a serious pistol user should be running Assassin's Cache. My standard loadout is VOT Bolter(bolt action sniper), and Wolfhound pistol, with assassin's cache. I basically never run out of ammo.

Awesomnius
04-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Shotgun + AR usually for me. I generally switch to Shotgun + Pistol for Arkfalls. I've never gotten a wolfhound 6 which ticks me since everyone seems to like it.

SuitcoatAvenger
04-30-2013, 04:52 PM
I have a high-level, max-modded wolfhound with syphon attachments. It doesn't do much damage on the outset, but the crits are insane and being healed every couple of headshots doesn't hurt either.

That and my syphon heavy scattergun are my two go-to's.

Calimlol
04-30-2013, 05:08 PM
I'm using an Autopistol with 2-round burstshots, 3.5x crit multiplier and 24 bullet magazine. Works wonders on weakspots.

Racheakt
04-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Wolfhound destroys at arkfalls until the monarch/helion comes out.

I always keep a few loadouts with a pistol. If you can aim and hit the weakspots. You can pretty much walk through anything in this game with a pistol.

Pistol with good aiming skills, the right perks and a properly modded wolfhound fun way to play.

Wolfhounds tear monarchs a new one ( esp since that is a weak spot) tell ya wait for the roll or the front attack and light it up. It almost feels like cheating.

Soko Splat
04-30-2013, 05:19 PM
My brother and I have been replaying the storyline using nothing but pistols.

I stick to the VBI lineup (VBI TACC autopistol is my favorite). but use a wolverine, flare with mag extension or detu as my secondary.

Lupis Volk
04-30-2013, 06:04 PM
I mean other than for pursuit purposes, or tho level them? Can someone tell me if you have a wicked pistol? I see almost no need for them in-game. However, in the show they seem very useful... Nolan always has one at the right time... just curious if I should mod one or never look at them again....

Yes use a wolfhound and set it up for crit damage. it rocks.

JustinM19
04-30-2013, 06:06 PM
If you have never used a Wolfhound....do yourself a favor. Godly pistols.

Durva360
04-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Yes use a wolfhound and set it up for crit damage. it rocks.

This right here. Did an Arkfall the other day 3rd place had 600k damage, 2nd had little over 1 mil damage. I came with 3.2 million using a Wolfhound set for crits. Best tool to use on crystal weakspots. Soloed two of the crystal by myself :)

Lupis Volk
04-30-2013, 06:08 PM
If you have never used a Wolfhound....do yourself a favor. Godly pistols.

with syphon elemental effect.

Lupis Volk
04-30-2013, 06:08 PM
This right here. Did an Arkfall the other day 3rd place had 600k damage, 2nd had little over 1 mil damage. I came with 3.2 million using a Wolfhound set for crits. Best tool to use on crystal weakspots. Soloed two of the crystal by myself :)

mmmhmmm dam straight you did.

Durva360
04-30-2013, 06:09 PM
mmmhmmm dam straight you did.

Not sure if doubtful or agreeing XD

Lupis Volk
04-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Not sure if doubtful or agreeing XD

agreeing. good sir.

Durva360
04-30-2013, 06:14 PM
agreeing. good sir.
Clan mate of mine didn't believe it so ended up recording a short video of the leaderboard. Couldn't believe it myself

Lupis Volk
04-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Clan mate of mine didn't believe it so ended up recording a short video of the leaderboard. Couldn't believe it myself

i can their 4.0x plus crit multiplier.

Myst
04-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Yep I'm using pistols primarily to get them out of my inventory since I have 12 now and want to rank up my pistol skill anyway so I just use one and either salve the pistol or sell it then move onto the next. They aren't that bad really I did more damage in a co-op mission by going pistol only surprisingly :o

Panthan
04-30-2013, 06:28 PM

Meh, pistols are only good to fight your way back to the riffle you shouldnt have dropped in the first place.

Sarin
04-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Wolfhound is brilliant to have, especially with any +%crit modifiers as it has a 4.5x crit and about 350DMG (correct me if I'm wrong) so with that you can pull INSANE damage numbers, especially with overkill during arkfalls or anything that has an easy to repeatedly hit crit location or if you just need massive burst damage.

It's pretty bad if you're not critting but you should have something like saw a SAW for your main if you're going for putting out solid DPS.

My usual boss/arkfall kit is an SAW (mag/bloom/acc/dmg) and Wolfhound (mag/bloom/acc/falloff) for when weakpoints show up.

Kaunker
04-30-2013, 08:08 PM
i just started using a crit build with the wolfhound as my main and a legendary flare gun for my offhand, no mods yet, and im already enjoying it and coming in first any arkfall i try to

StanleyPain
04-30-2013, 08:13 PM

Wolfhounds with good scopes are almost better than sniper rifles. Very good for scrapper arkfalls and the Hellion arkfalls where you have to hit the tiny glands.

DarkBardRaven
04-30-2013, 08:41 PM
If used right pistol do hit harder than sniper rifles and they are very underrated by many but trust me level up the weapon skill and set one of your load outs up for pistol use and you become deadly. People complain about stealth and shot guns wait till you stealth up behind someone and shoot him in the back of the head critical's are nasty business when it comes to pistols and you can kill someone with one shot easy. As for regular gaming I walk through co op with pistols easy.

Denim Samurai
04-30-2013, 08:47 PM
they're kind of awkward weapons. The damage falloff on them is pretty severe so you need to use them at pretty close range but the fire rate on all of them except the vot blaster is pretty low. You basically have to use them at shotgun range and have to make all headshots to outperform a shotgun. Which is kind of difficult when the enemy animations have their heads bobbing all over the place.

ratt707
04-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Just messed around a bit more, close range critical dps, wow.

DejaVooDoo
04-30-2013, 08:57 PM
maxed my pistol skill. Wolfhounds are the best guns in the game. when I drop a body, it has no head. Wolverines are nice too. VBI Autopistol can also be quite lovely if it's a TACC (2 round burst) and you slap on a +8 mag mod.

Cricket
04-30-2013, 09:25 PM
So overall, which gun and which mods should I try for? And then ill max out pistol levels...

GrfxGuru
04-30-2013, 10:04 PM
I usually have at least one spec with a handgun just to keep trying to lvl them up during ark falls. There are actually some nice burst ones out there but I do not remember the names off hand.

foggyhaze
05-02-2013, 06:31 AM
i use every weapon in the game

Leathernek1
05-02-2013, 06:54 AM
So overall, which gun and which mods should I try for? And then ill max out pistol levels...

It seems like most people mod their barrel for more crit, but I've found that the most helpful mod for me is the barrel that gives a bonus to falloff damage (persistent thruster I think). It allows me to stop using my wolfhound as just a close range weapon. I really like the feel of it this way.