PDA

View Full Version : Crafting?

Cyber
06-11-2012, 08:38 AM
I don't recall seeing or hearing any information about whether or not crafting (and I suppose gathering) type skills and activities will be in Defiance. Anyone recall hearing anything being mentioned about crafting. As was stated in the Vehicle thread (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?44-Vehicles-and-Vehicular-Combat/page3), being able to craft permanent vehicles would be a nice touch, and the same would go for weapons or equipment.

Adsinonimous
06-13-2012, 02:01 PM
I have seen if a few videos that you are able to modify you weapons and I guess you would need certain materials to do so. But as for creating items from scratch, I have yet to hear anything.

Cyber
06-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Yeah the weapon modification system (whatever that entails) is certainly a step in the right direction for those that enjoy crafting. It seems to me that they must be at least considering it, given that crafting is so well loved by many MMO players. Game mechanics such as crafting really add depth to an MMO, not to mention give something else for players to do when they are not out blasting bugs (or, hopefuly, each other).

Mindfix
06-13-2012, 02:51 PM
For me crafting is a must. As you've already said it adds depth and plainly put it gives us something else to do. That said they are trying to appeal to the casual gamer as well as the hardcore mmo players and keep the action in the game flowing so they may not want to add crafting but i personally want to have some form of crafting in the game.

Escyos
06-14-2012, 09:52 PM
For me crafting is a must. As you've already said it adds depth and plainly put it gives us something else to do. That said they are trying to appeal to the casual gamer as well as the hardcore mmo players and keep the action in the game flowing so they may not want to add crafting but i personally want to have some form of crafting in the game.

The only type of crafting I have come across is weapon modifications - scopes, grips, clips etc. and i think there was mention of other tech modification to be had. Trion is keeping some things secret but they are not stupid and will release bits of info to tantalise us.

Adsinonimous
06-17-2012, 05:05 AM
I would love to see gathering. This could be easily implemented and fit into the lore with the alien technology. If you could gather things that you could craft with or sell to others to make parts of weapons such as different scopes, I think it would be awesome. - I know lots of people hate this though..

Aythir
06-17-2012, 09:19 AM
I could see crafting the mods and upgrades as well as armors, weapons, stim packs that could work similar to most alchemy trades in other games, and maybe even augmented systems that give you a stat boost to help put you more into the niche that you are working for (ie. You permanently gain a +toughness bonus until you cancel the effect with a different mod when you want to change your niche) Also depending on what they do with the cities they may add other crafting such as architects and engineers that can craft things not only for the player base but maybe for the NPCs looking to try and reestablish the city.

Adsinonimous
06-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Also depending on what they do with the cities they may add other crafting such as architects and engineers that can craft things.

I guessing you read about cities in another thread. Just so you know, this was an idea thought of by the community and was not actually mentioned by Trion. :)

Aythir
06-17-2012, 02:45 PM
this was an idea thought of by the community and was not actually mentioned by Trion. :)

I was more or less mentioning it as take it with a grain of salt, even though Trion has yet to mention it doesn't mean they are not implementing it. Also I was just consolidating all my thoughts into my post even if it might have been previously mentioned. :)

Punisher
06-21-2012, 08:32 AM
I am sure they will have crafting in some form. When they talk about the customization of your characters and being able to get the look you want because all of the stats and stuff come from the modifications you place in your gear, it just screams to me that you will be able to craft the stuff you want. Which makes me extremely excited! I love the thought of crafting that unique, badass looking piece of gear that if I love it and don't ever want to change it I don't have to because I can improve the mods in that gear.

Von
08-22-2012, 10:15 PM
I am bringing back this old thread because at Games Con it was anounced
that there will be no crafting in Defiance. The closes to crafting you'll get
is to collect certain resources during an arkfall event. That's what the
second type of currency is. You trade those resources in for gear.

Check out Kalbuir interview with Rob Hill which is on another thread.

VanillaGorilla
08-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Well that just plain sucks! Crafting is one of my favorite parts of mmo's. There is still a long while before game release. Hopefully they reconsider. They should want a crafting system as any type of time sink in an mmo is useful. Keeps people from getting bored in game.

Mindfix
08-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Well that just plain sucks! Crafting is one of my favorite parts of mmo's. There is still a long while before game release. Hopefully they reconsider. They should want a crafting system as any type of time sync in an mmo is useful. Keeps people from getting bored in game.

Agree really hope they reconsider this and try to add some type of crafting to the game.

Jenbuu
08-28-2012, 08:47 AM
i know its a shame, i wish crafting was in, but there is still a fair bit to go till its released. so heres hoping

Cyanhide
08-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Thats plain stupid to remove it. Unless they have like thousands of weapons/armour pieces.

Keep the RPG.

Arkamenitas
08-28-2012, 02:55 PM
that's just it though - it's Not an rpg. and even in RPGs, the logic behind the removal of crafting was 100% correct. all it is is an interface in which you put items and different items pop out...

Furthermore, this is a a shooter first, an mmo second, and an rpg not at all. that said, anything that involved more "action" and less "farming" is 100%+ imo.

VanillaGorilla
08-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Furthermore, this is a a shooter first, an mmo second, and an rpg not at all. that said, anything that involved more "action" and less "farming" is 100%+ imo.
Have to disagree, sorry. It is a "role playing game". You play the role of a person in this world attacked by aliens. You in no way just run around shooting people. Story is a huge part of this game. To the point they made a show to add even more.

Arkamenitas
08-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Have to disagree, sorry. It is a "role playing game". You play the role of a person in this world attacked by aliens. You in no way just run around shooting people. Story is a huge part of this game. To the point they made a show to add even more.

apparently every shooter with a storyline is now an rpg

VanillaGorilla
08-31-2012, 04:16 PM
Not trying to offend, I just see it more as an rpg with a gun than a shooter with a story. I may be wrong. I don't understand why some shooter players tend to look down on rpg's. They are all games.

Kalbuir
09-05-2012, 07:26 AM
Before I talked to Rob at GamesCom I was under the impression Crafting would be a thing especially since I thought I had read that modification crafting for weapons would be a part of the game, I was excited for it as I always am for crafting mechanics.

After the interview and Rob's explanation to why not to do it though I shrugged off my disappointment for the clear fact that crafting in all last MMO's have been nothing more than collect / click and watch an animation. So why not just take it off vendors? it works much better with an MMO shooters UI as well.

But then 1 week ago GW2 launched and I tried crafting there again and for the first time in years I feel like crafting mechanics are slowly moving in the right direction again. However GW2 crafting is still pretty straight forward the discover system is a nifty mechanic, the amount of sub components chef uses is a nice mechanic. Its still drag ingredients / click and wait though sadly.

There is just so much more crafting can be in an online game, I would go as far as it could be a game all by itself. Defiance might not be the right online game to do it in but I am still hoping that at some point (post launch) it gets reconsidered.

BlackTalons
09-05-2012, 08:01 PM
My idea of a good crafting sistem for the game is a simple and straightforward one that keeps the fast pace of a FPS untouched (IE no grinding nor foraging) while still allowing luck and effort to play its part. I would like a sistem where primary components come from salvaging and looting, but for the best end gear a especial item is needed to create the most efficient and especialized gear. For example, one can make a flamethrower from spare pieces, a generic fuel tank and scrap metal, but if you want THE mother of all flamethrowers, you must get a rare piece of alien tech that enables its construction. Said piece should have an assured, yet rare or extremely dificult way to obtain, like luring an enemy to a grinder, or sneaking in an alien base to steal it undetected, as well as the generic drop of a high end raid. Also, there should exist a slight chance of getting it by high level slavaging and as a loot from big Arkfalls. That way both the hardcore crafter as well as the experienced player can have a chance to craft the item by themselves, while still remaining atractive for posible commerce with lower level players.

As a side feature, there could be different crafting profesions like mechaninc, engineer, chemist, scavenger, medic, armorer, and xeno-scientist, each with a crafting specialization and posibly unique items and perks.

Night Hawke
09-05-2012, 09:34 PM
I trust that the dev's will be able to find the right balance between hardcore crafters and non crafters for this game. I don't think a vendor is a good solution though.

Crafting and i mean real crafting, not get x,y &z dump in slots click go walk away but real crafting where you spend time and effort gathering the right components and your skill and experience in crafting really matter could work in this game.

IMO, one of the main reasons a lot of current mmo's have constant problems with their crafting systems is because they are too simple to the point of uselessness or they are too much like normal play to be noticed (IE over simplified button mash hope for good drops).

One thing the Devs should consider (if they already haven't) is that the majority of people whom craft do so because they want to make an impact on the world and do so in a meaningful way. Not to mention that crafting is a truly contrasting experience to standard mmo play, be it tab targeting, button mashing or shooter UI. Part of what keeps people playing a game is varying game play styles.

If they make this game too much of one style of play then people will eventually burnout and leave, that's bad news for an mmo. So hopefully they will reconsider it.

Anyway i'll get off my soapbox now.

Ravallian
09-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Frankly I can't see it without "crafting" in one form or another., worst case scenario is that its not in at launch and get added soon after........at least I hope.

Siegemaster
09-15-2012, 01:16 PM
In all honesty, if the game is good enough, "crafting" in a conventional sense can wait. As long as the initial game has enough content that is non-repetitive, then crafting isn't a need-to-have.

Obsidian
09-15-2012, 02:07 PM
We really need crafting. or even an apb style armor and clothing editor.

Jenbuu
09-15-2012, 03:02 PM
We really need crafting. or even an apb style armor and clothing editor.

im sure there will be something to fill the void, but as it stands crafting isnt one, im one for it but if its something that the devs dont want in, it wount be in at launch, for the future who knows

Ceridius
09-17-2012, 04:43 AM
I would love to see gathering. This could be easily implemented and fit into the lore with the alien technology. If you could gather things that you could craft with or sell to others to make parts of weapons such as different scopes, I think it would be awesome. - I know lots of people hate this though..

Absolutely! Ark-hunters are raiders/scavengers after all. That would make a lot of sense.

Crafting and components should be a monumentally huge part of the game, what with guns being such a core component.

In terms of setting, it also makes sense because in a post-apocalyptic world that's beginning to pick itself back up, you'd probably have up and coming craftsmen and tradesmen capitalizing on the need as well as abundance of untapped resources (arks). People are going to want to pick a part all that technology and cook up inventions of their own. It's inevitable.

From what I can tell, this is less traditional high sci fi and more western-spin (day to day) with the bordertown element of 'Defiance.' Make-shift and scavenged weaponry is going to be a huge deal when every inhabitant and traveller needs to protect or pillage.

It's a much needed niche, narratively. But crafting is certainly not a game-breaking mechanic... not at this point.

Veritas
10-04-2012, 02:07 PM
My idea of a good crafting sistem for the game is a simple and straightforward one that keeps the fast pace of a FPS untouched (IE no grinding nor foraging) while still allowing luck and effort to play its part. I would like a sistem where primary components come from salvaging and looting, but for the best end gear a especial item is needed to create the most efficient and especialized gear. For example, one can make a flamethrower from spare pieces, a generic fuel tank and scrap metal, but if you want THE mother of all flamethrowers, you must get a rare piece of alien tech that enables its construction. Said piece should have an assured, yet rare or extremely dificult way to obtain, like luring an enemy to a grinder, or sneaking in an alien base to steal it undetected, as well as the generic drop of a high end raid. Also, there should exist a slight chance of getting it by high level slavaging and as a loot from big Arkfalls. That way both the hardcore crafter as well as the experienced player can have a chance to craft the item by themselves, while still remaining atractive for posible commerce with lower level players.

As a side feature, there could be different crafting profesions like mechaninc, engineer, chemist, scavenger, medic, armorer, and xeno-scientist, each with a crafting specialization and posibly unique items and perks.

Wow this is such a well-thought out post. I totally agree with this type of crafting system. Remove the grinding element and make it a story-driven scavenging element instead. Great idea.

Caradavin_Rose
10-09-2012, 12:37 AM
OOOhhh, like Eve Online (scavenging) and a dash of Dead Island (building weapons that degrade in time)? I love the idea. I enjoy crafting and having a profession. When the grind gets to be too much, it's nice to settle down and build something. I believe that all MMO's should at least have fishing :) .

On another note, I agree with Ceridius that the game looks more western sci-fi; I'm highly interested in seeing how all of this is going to play out - way excited. Fishing would be a must, in that case, but I do agree that their first priority at this point would not be the crafting systems. The game will do well on its own, but they will find it necessary eventually. People just get bored without new content.

Disdain
10-09-2012, 04:45 AM
In a sense the situation is similar to that of Fallen Earth “Gasp”. Anyone who has played fallen earth probably took a deep breath then. Simply they made crafting so tedious, you had to grind for hours to whip up the remnants to enable you to craft the most basic items, no fun at all. I for one don’t want to get side tracked for hours on end grabbing the bits and pieces required for something that’s barely worth the effort.

I hope for a simplistic crafting system, something along the lines of Global Agenda’s, pick up random parts along the way from the fallen, when you return to base pop them into the work station, see what can be made, hit the button, boom! Job done.
Later on as you reach charecter maturity crafting should have a larger focus, till then i'm not overtly interested
But again this all depends upon the mechanics of the Game, theres really not enough information out there to form a fully coherent idea.

This is my opinion only because I tire of the many hours crafting involves, I want to play the game, not craft it :)

Shadinaxx
10-10-2012, 02:45 AM
OOOhhh, like Eve Online (scavenging) and a dash of Dead Island (building weapons that degrade in time)? I love the idea. I enjoy crafting and having a profession. When the grind gets to be too much, it's nice to settle down and build something. I believe that all MMO's should at least have fishing :) .

On another note, I agree with Ceridius that the game looks more western sci-fi; I'm highly interested in seeing how all of this is going to play out - way excited. Fishing would be a must, in that case, but I do agree that their first priority at this point would not be the crafting systems. The game will do well on its own, but they will find it necessary eventually. People just get bored without new content.

Western Sci-fi, I wonder how many Trigun, Desert Punk and Steam Punk clones we will see, lol. Dont get me wrong, I love Vash the Stampede's red duster, but I hope to see some diversity as well. I think we will prolly have a start between the "wear what works, I dont care if it's duct taped, it's still armor" and the type of gear you can see in Terra Nova, eventually branching out into more alien/futuristic hybrid tech you can commonly see in Mass effect, Halo, Firefall and Global Agenda.

Eve's scavanging was nice, but I think there's more to be expanded upon here, like finding buried tech, power cores, specialty ammo, rare and unique blueprints. Anyone remember Earth and Beyond? The manufacturing there mixed with SWG crafting would be enough depth and simplicity to make hardcore and casual crafters happy. I know I would be in heaven.

Militaratus
12-15-2012, 04:29 AM
All I want is fishing.

Cooking is a good second craft to be in the game.

Weapon Smithing is a nice thing to have.

AmazingPatt
12-15-2012, 05:13 AM
only thing i hear about the "crafting" is there wont be a launch a way to build weapon and stuff but they mention something about weapon mods for launch

Waux
12-23-2012, 05:48 AM
Well that just plain sucks! Crafting is one of my favorite parts of mmo's. There is still a long while before game release. Hopefully they reconsider. They should want a crafting system as any type of time sink in an mmo is useful. Keeps people from getting bored in game.
Agree , it makes you want to stay longer.creat More exhange and rp

Thayl Ruttgar
12-23-2012, 10:37 AM
well we are going to be ARK HUNTERS so I think gathering will be a huge part of this, but I do agree that there should be crafting stations to add/upgrade your weapons or use something that seems at the time to be useless and make something of it. I think traveling along and seeing some old wreckage from space and finding a small useless looking thing and it turns out to be a mod for your weapon I would love that.

Paladin
12-23-2012, 05:06 PM
I thought there was modding? :S In all the concept art it shows different parts of a weapon that you can enhance.

vampero
12-24-2012, 08:11 AM
I thought there was modding? :S In all the concept art it shows different parts of a weapon that you can enhance.

There is weapon modding.;)

Paladin
12-26-2012, 08:43 PM
There is weapon modding.;)

Oh thank god! I was worried for a second there.

Firebrand
12-30-2012, 12:45 AM
As far as crafting goes for me, customization is a large part of crafting for me. So, the few things I am hoping for, if crafting is implemented, are listed below.

#1. Allow reverse engineering/disassembling of already pre-built items. Thus, allowing players to either retrieve specific weapon mods from one weapon and place them onto another or receive extra crafting materials to craft a completely new item.

#2. Ability to craft and modify vehicles in this game. Not necessarily with weapon attachments, but rather increased acceleration, handling, paint color, armor modification, etc. Perhaps even allow players to craft a motor bike for transit in the open world instead of using an ATV.

#3. Large variety of crafting consumables like grenade types. These types could include concussion grenades, incendiary grenades, EMP grenades, and even gas grenades that cause small damage over time effects while also infecting targets with similar pus-ridden alien bug spawning ability of the incubator gun.

Sgt G
12-30-2012, 11:46 PM
So, i have logged more hours in other games crafting then i really care to admit. Honestly i am not sure what else we will be doing between arkfalls if there is no crafting. That said. I think visual customization is more important then stats. Dont get me wrong.. there are those that just want to have the most pluses to there gun no matter what shade of lavender it is. But most of us want to craft for the look, that signature "hey i made this" look.

I worry that with out crafting, it will just be a resource grind, and a never ending cycle of getting bored and shooting each other. ( and if what i see about the show/game is real and one effects the other. then killing each other instead of working together..makes for a very short series. )

wee
12-31-2012, 12:00 AM
If we can craft weapons, armors, vehicles, nades, and armors with a lot of variety plus we have to do instances, kill bosses around the world for the mats then I think we won't get bored.

Sgt G
12-31-2012, 12:27 AM
Could not agree more.

squidgod2000
12-31-2012, 06:24 AM
Modern MMOs have killed crafting. They've taken out both the process and the chance to fail, turning crafting into an overwrought collection quest where you collect the parts, click a button and get exactly what you wanted. Furthering the collection quest issue are components that only drop from dungeon/raid bosses.

A true crafters' MMO requires a different structure than most games. It requires a strong death penalty that results in the loss of gear (something you'll never see in a raid- or group-based PvE game) and it requires that the crafted gear be generally better than dropped gear. You saw this in the early days of UO (before bless scrolls) and you see it now in EVE--an economy based upon crafting instead of farming.

The best you could hope for in a game like Defiance is for crafting an item to be a minigame instead of a click-it-to-get-it crafting system. They'll never build a game with a harsh death penalty or gear loss due to its anti-casuals nature and the conviction among modern studios that casuals--the whiny, indignant little bastards who just want the game to be "fun"--are the only path to success (and consider the steady growth of EVE to be an abberation).

Shadinaxx
12-31-2012, 07:30 AM
Modern MMOs have killed crafting. They've taken out both the process and the chance to fail, turning crafting into an overwrought collection quest where you collect the parts, click a button and get exactly what you wanted. Furthering the collection quest issue are components that only drop from dungeon/raid bosses.

A true crafters' MMO requires a different structure than most games. It requires a strong death penalty that results in the loss of gear (something you'll never see in a raid- or group-based PvE game) and it requires that the crafted gear be generally better than dropped gear. You saw this in the early days of UO (before bless scrolls) and you see it now in EVE--an economy based upon crafting instead of farming.

The best you could hope for in a game like Defiance is for crafting an item to be a minigame instead of a click-it-to-get-it crafting system. They'll never build a game with a harsh death penalty or gear loss due to its anti-casuals nature and the conviction among modern studios that casuals--the whiny, indignant little bastards who just want the game to be "fun"--are the only path to success (and consider the steady growth of EVE to be an abberation).

www.net-7.org Earth and Beyond Emulator, the crafting system here is such that the more you build, the better quality your builds will be. Also using player made or "superior" componants increses your overall quality. You cannot "fail" a build, but in order to learn the print, you must reverse engineer or anylise the item, which you can fail.

In combat, each time you "die" or get thrashed, your equipped gear has a small chance to lose some quality of it. So say, a perfect build (200%) weapon loses a point, depending on teh weapon, it loses a little overall damage, or refire rate, or accuracy.

Paladin
12-31-2012, 06:42 PM

Soon the dark souls esque MMO will rise and we will all die

lPATT
12-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Soon the dark souls esque MMO will rise and we will all die

I WANT that game now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =P

ZombieTech
03-14-2013, 05:01 AM
Hoping I'm not disturbing too old a thread. Thought I'd toss in my 2 cents on crafting. I *love* crafting, especially in a game like this. I love "tinkering" and "modifying"... which as stated can be done with weapons. I'm hoping we'll see the ability to jury-rig items from scratch as well as perhaps craft/tinker certain armors. That was one thing I absolutely used to LOVE about Anarchy Online... all the crafting and tinkering... even being able to hack certain items to combine with others for "secret recipes"/"secret combinations". The leveling armors would good too... the idea would be out of place... but the ability to "tinker"/"patch" armor as a lighter supplement from a full-on upgrade (obviously a smidge weaker/sketchy or what not) would be great as well.

Would also be cool to see some way of tinkering/upgrading/modifying vehicles. Perhaps attaching weapons, fortifications, or even custom paint-jobs.

NinthPrejudice
03-14-2013, 05:43 AM
apparently every shooter with a storyline is now an rpg

The fact you get to outfit yourself with weapons with different stats, choose your own actions in a persistent world, and trade items makes Defiance an MMORPG. Get your arrogant head out of your butt, think a little, and learn to differentiate between a pure shooter like Counter-strike and a shooter-MMORPG like Defiance.

NinthPrejudice
03-14-2013, 05:47 AM
Hoping I'm not disturbing too old a thread. Thought I'd toss in my 2 cents on crafting. I *love* crafting, especially in a game like this. I love "tinkering" and "modifying"... which as stated can be done with weapons. I'm hoping we'll see the ability to jury-rig items from scratch as well as perhaps craft/tinker certain armors. That was one thing I absolutely used to LOVE about Anarchy Online... all the crafting and tinkering... even being able to hack certain items to combine with others for "secret recipes"/"secret combinations". The leveling armors would good too... the idea would be out of place... but the ability to "tinker"/"patch" armor as a lighter supplement from a full-on upgrade (obviously a smidge weaker/sketchy or what not) would be great as well.

Would also be cool to see some way of tinkering/upgrading/modifying vehicles. Perhaps attaching weapons, fortifications, or even custom paint-jobs.

I agree, although I'd prefer to spend most of my time shooting stuff. So I hope crafting is simple, and doesn't involve hours of farming rare crafting mats. Lol.

wig
03-14-2013, 07:23 AM
really RPG's are MMo's since you can Co-op online and play anyway like some other games really. Most people prefer RPG's than some basic shooters because you can do alot more than just shoot and kill like make you own unique game style within it and make it more pleasant to play and entertaining/Customising is a big issue for some people in every sense than others without an open minded imagination. look at all the games that have come out during these years like brink: adding sentry's and mines and cooking grenades and moding weapons , Rage: customising cars and weapons, Unreal 2 the awakening: online gaming team play and gadgets,

wig
03-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Plus with Fallout 3 with the open war world scenery with factions fightin each other with you in the middle with your pet NPC's like WoW, people instaed of animals.

the most advance game out at the moment is really Saint Row 3

the only thing that they have not done yet the Company's is to join all this together (yet) plus make everything modifiable to the individual player then it would be perfect.

Cervid
03-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Really.. Saints Row 3??

I'm glad crafting and a global marketplace isn't in at launch. That's what always ruins MMO's.. Gold spammers, sellers, farmers, economy manipulators. Weapon modding is enough for now, and they talked about releasing it in DLC.

If you're driven by economy or crafting/gathering go play EvE. It's the deepest economy and crafting/gathering system out. There are whole sites dedicated to tracking the economy.

There's videos and this has all been fleshed out. Look harder. I'm sure they'll add it later. I've read on here there may be some form of "trading" allowed. Still unclear if items are BOE, BOP, or BOA.. how all that works.

In effect, gathering is done by breaking down items to build weapon mods. Since there is not armor buffs, but skins, you don't need anything for that. They could add some kind of gathering later for buff/debuff pots.

Still, I maintain, that was always the worst.. When someone would corner the market on frostweave or something right after wotlk launch. I'm glad it's not in. Bye bye botters and spammers!

Desidus
03-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Crafting should be minigames... that are decently difficult... the better you do the better you craft. Why should the shooting be the only thing that rewards skill. Besides that would make it more fun for people who aren't great at shooting.. they could be crafting pros...

wig
03-14-2013, 08:59 AM
why is it you American Kids have no Brains

Desidus
03-14-2013, 09:08 AM
why is it you American Kids have no Brains

why is it you trolls can't stay off the forums?

kirix
03-14-2013, 10:01 AM
MMO >>>RPG<<< players love crafteing.

defiance is an MMO >>SHOOTER<< with basic rpg and a tv show.

so dont get any high hopes for crafting.

plus why do u need it when u can upgrade weapons and shoot / blow stuff up

HAMcutter
03-14-2013, 10:22 AM
MMO >>>RPG<<< players love crafteing.

defiance is an MMO >>SHOOTER<< with basic rpg and a tv show.

so dont get any high hopes for crafting.

plus why do u need it when u can upgrade weapons and shoot / blow stuff up

Pretty much this. Having owned all 3 platforms this game will be offered on, I do not quite think the console demographic has the patience or desire to craft in the traditional MMO sense. They want to hop on, group up, and kill. No offense meant by this, but unfortunately true crafting is a time-sink reserved for the dedicated PC MMO player. In my opinion of course.

MOnte
03-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Crafting. To be honest, I rather be shooting! Nice to have, but I can live without it.

I know a lot of people like to so maybe they will put some in the future.

xander134
03-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Let me start by making the disclaimer that I love crafting and gathering. It's great to take a break from the killing for a bit and do something else. The economy of a game's world is an excellent addition to a LOT of games.

That said, I wonder if Defiance is the RIGHT game for crafting/gathering. In my mind, Defiance has a lot in common with Borderlands 2. The gear customization mechanic is, essentially, out of your hands, though you're ALWAYS on the look out for upgrades to your weapons and shields. Further customization is also available in the form of new skins, and of course the skill tree.

Customization appears to be a key component of Defiance, but not one that calls for a lot of wandering the wastelands looking for random resources. Instead the developers want you (us) to focus on the game's core mechanic: grouping up for missions to kill things. By focusing on this element we will achieve customization, without "wasting" time.

Trion has built a huge and complex world, but it crafting/gathering just isn't a part of that. Try to remember, this isn't an MMORPG, though it incorporates many of the elements that make the genre great.

Cheers,
Xander134

exxcess
03-26-2013, 11:07 PM
I feel that a lot of crafting/collecting side professions will not be implemented due to the limited inventory slots of the current game and that a crafting interface for consoles would not work for PC and vice versa. I personally would like to see it but due to the frustration with the seemingly ported UI crafting would only create additional headaches at this point

Diddler
03-27-2013, 12:08 AM
I'm sorry, but I feel crafting rewards players that grind for hours and frankly has no place in this game. If you really want to craft something bake some cookies in real life since animations are a complaint. I think the game will be fine, actually better for not having it.

GT3000
03-27-2013, 12:24 AM
Love to see weapon/shield crafting. Even vehicle crafting or used in the creation of particular suits. It would promote an incentive to doing side-missions/dynamic events as well as arkfalls. Loot is only motivation so much.