PDA

View Full Version : So let me get this right about the dlc season pass..

KOLZ
04-30-2013, 11:51 PM
First know this. I am not trying to bash the game since I am enjoying the game it's self very much and played it daily since getting it but this bit of new has just ruined my night right now.

So it's rather pointless to even bother buying it since the dlc content is basically gonna free for everyone. Except the SP people will get another character that really won't be worth making over since there is no major need to make alts in this game and some vehicle skin that clearly won't be worth 40 dollars no matter how cool it looks. I clearly don't see the point of buying a season pass if everyone else is gonna get the major content like missions and dungeons (whatever else) for free. I am sure there will be some other minor things that will only be in the SP but I still highly doubt anything will be worth 40 dollars since the importance of any content is exactly that the content and if that is given away for free I am not exactly seeing my self buying a SP for a big price of 40 dollars if I can still do the same dungeons/missions for free.

Schwa
04-30-2013, 11:52 PM
You get a hat.

Ryan
04-30-2013, 11:56 PM
I haven't boughten the season pass yet. I know everyone gets the part of the map that unlocks, but I haven't heard that people who don't buy can do the missions that are added. I know they can't use any new guns or the new race added(if a race is added).

Corvidus
04-30-2013, 11:56 PM
You'd be surprised how many would pay for shiny new weapons

carpesangrea
04-30-2013, 11:57 PM
This is something they seriously need to address. People need concrete list of what they will be getting by actually paying for it, rather than what everyone just gets for free. If the only thing dlc purchasers get is cosmetic, than what is the point?

Ryan
05-01-2013, 12:00 AM
You'd be surprised how many would pay for shiny new weapons
Shiney new weapons and a new race. I almost bought the season pass when I heard a rumor of a new race, I'm waiting to see what the first DLC adds then go from there.

OGkush
05-01-2013, 12:02 AM
Yea im waiting till they announce what the dlc is bringing before i give them anymore more money.

KOLZ
05-01-2013, 12:02 AM
This is something they seriously need to address. People need concrete list of what they will be getting by actually paying for it, rather than what everyone just gets for free. If the only thing dlc purchasers get is cosmetic, than what is the point?

Agreed 100%. I got the points on my xbox and I can easily buy the pass at any time but soon I saw comments about people getting the same stuff I do for free I was like wtf is the point in buying a SP for 40 dollars then? There has to be something big in it that's a RIDICULOUSLY large price for skins and other minor differences. Although gears of war 3 had and has a huge price just for the skins of the guns alone. LOL.. so yeah I might just hold on to the points now..

Anderson
05-01-2013, 12:04 AM

You'll still be able to buy the Season Pass when stuff for it comes out. Just wait and see what they release. It's what I'm doing.

Corvidus
05-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Same. Ill definitely wait and see what the paid content actually is before deciding to purchase.

KOLZ
05-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Guess that is what I will be doing now which sucks because I hate holding on to points because something always comes up that I need them for. So I rather use them quickly for what I want instead of using them for another thing.

Murton
05-01-2013, 12:11 AM
If true this makes the 20% markup (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?56479-PS3-Season-Pass-markup) on the PS3 version of the Season Pass even more of a joke as that would mean PS3 players in the UK paying over $50 for cosmetic items.

KOLZ
05-01-2013, 12:14 AM
Damn this honestly needs some answering. I honestly can't see why free people get all the content to "keep everyone together". So yeah let them to the new area but they shouldn't have access to new missions or dungeons like paid for content people.

StanleyPain
05-01-2013, 12:20 AM
The most likely thing the DLC will contain is new areas, whose access will be limited to only those you bought the expansions. that seems most likely and wouldn't have a huge effect on how players are kept "equal."

KOLZ
05-01-2013, 12:29 AM
Hmm according to comments based off a blog free people will be still able to do the missions that's included in the dlc. Now does that mean every mission and new dungeon and every single bit of free and important content (not skins or hats) is what I really have to know before buying the pass. I wouldn't put it pass a company to charge a huge price for skins (look at the last two gears of war games for example).

Fiancee
05-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Devs said everyone getst the content but not all get the access to all of it. Id imagine social hub could be one... you buy DLC you get access to it, if you dont you cant, but you can still enjoy the game.

Schwa
05-01-2013, 12:36 AM
I get the feeling of... can-equip sorts of entitlements. In other words, you can access the areas, get the loot (can't be traded, possibly), and do the missions but to actually equip that loot you need the DLC.

Or you get another hat if you have the DLC.

Murton
05-01-2013, 12:38 AM
Hmm according to comments based off a blog free people will be still able to do the missions that's included in the dlc.

Which blog is this? I'm only seeing chatter on the forums that suggest this is the case but the rumour has to have come from somewhere.

KOLZ
05-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Which blog is this? I'm only seeing chatter on the forums that suggest this is the case but the rumour has to have come from somewhere.

LOL you're asking the wrong person unfortunately. This info is what I been seeing on random threads on here so an actual link I can't give you. I am looking for it my self to be honest.

Bushmaster2000
05-01-2013, 12:40 AM
Ya OP, thats my understanding. I never buy season passes ahead of time now, been burned too many times with them. I didn't know ahead of time how the Defiance season pass was going to work, i just wasn't buying based on my history with season passes in general and now i'm really glad i didn't bother. $40 saved, Achievement Unlocked for Lessons Learned.

KOLZ
05-01-2013, 12:46 AM
Ya OP, thats my understanding. I never buy season passes ahead of time now, been burned too many times with them. I didn't know ahead of time how the Defiance season pass was going to work, i just wasn't buying based on my history with season passes in general and now i'm really glad i didn't bother. $40 saved, Achievement Unlocked for Lessons Learned.

Well I usually do and never had an issue with doing so. Especially when games have map packs I don't care at all. But this is a big price and a very big concern and what's the difference between the free people and the people that pay for the content. It's an easy assumption that the paid for people will get exclusive dungeons and gear but that's all it is, an assumption. They really should have clarified on this when they first brought it up.

Murton
05-01-2013, 12:51 AM
LOL you're asking the wrong person unfortunately. This info is what I been seeing on random threads on here so an actual link I can't give you. I am looking for it my self to be honest.

I don't know if I've ever seen a place where so much is discussed as fact without a single piece of evidence or even the slightest bit of logic applied.

I just can't see the DLC content being available to those who don't buy it. Especially when you consider that so many people will have already put down their hard earned cash, it would be PR suicide. Also the season pass is still being sold with the clear advertising that buying it gets you five DLCs for the price of 4, (or 5 for the price 6 if you're a PS3 user in the UK thanks to Trion's markup) would open them up to people requesting refunds if the actual game content turns out to be free.

KOLZ
05-01-2013, 12:54 AM
I don't know if I've ever seen a place where so much is discussed as fact without a single piece of evidence or even the slightest bit of logic applied.

I just can't see the DLC content being available to those who don't buy it. Especially when you consider that so many people will have already put down their hard earned cash, it would be PR suicide. Also the season pass is still being sold with the clear advertising that buying it gets you five DLCs for the price of 4, (or 5 for the price 6 if you're a PS3 user in the UK thanks to Trion's markup) would open them up to people requesting refunds if the actual game content turns out to be free.

Oh this happens all the time. ;) Hope you're right really. It would be suicide for all of trion and the game if they did something like that. The rage fits over the alien game and warz will have nothing on this matter if it was like that, lol.

Corvidus
05-01-2013, 01:01 AM
Whats the use of speculating soo much on what exclusive paid DLC content will be especially if you haven't bought it yet?
Here's what we know so far based on Nathan's post: Paid content gets new races, new weapons and extra "bundles", so the specifics of that we don't know yet. Now, the free part will be content and features which I am guessing will be new zones and missions, PVP maps and probably the new co op missions.

If you're really irritated with what the paid DLC might possibly include, then just either:
(A) Wait for official information to be released then decide
(B) Don't buy it

This is Trions loss if they are unable to make a compelling enough paid content for people to spend their cash on.

I also think its a win win for having more people access to the new content or it will be more of a ghost town than it is now.

cusman
05-01-2013, 01:09 AM
First know this. I am not trying to bash the game since I am enjoying the game it's self very much and played it daily since getting it but this bit of new has just ruined my night right now.

So it's rather pointless to even bother buying it since the dlc content is basically gonna free for everyone. Except the SP people will get another character that really won't be worth making over since there is no major need to make alts in this game and some vehicle skin that clearly won't be worth 40 dollars no matter how cool it looks. I clearly don't see the point of buying a season pass if everyone else is gonna get the major content like missions and dungeons (whatever else) for free. I am sure there will be some other minor things that will only be in the SP but I still highly doubt anything will be worth 40 dollars since the importance of any content is exactly that the content and if that is given away for free I am not exactly seeing my self buying a SP for a big price of 40 dollars if I can still do the same dungeons/missions for free.

I will just wait for each DLC release and see what it is before I decide whether I should or not get it.

Murton
05-01-2013, 01:14 AM
Oh this happens all the time. ;) Hope you're right really.

The Librarians of Adeptus Astartes tell us "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment." fortunately I am rarely wrong so you can relax :p

One need only look at the price markup on the PS3 Season Pass in Europe to see that Trion isn't afraid to abuse Sony's open price policy to increase their profits. If they're okay with charging Europeans more than the full DLC price for their discounted season passes they're not about to hand out free content packs to everyone. I reckon everyone will get the area maps but only those who buy get the missions.

KOLZ
05-01-2013, 01:15 AM
I will just wait for each DLC release and see what it is before I decide whether I should or not get it.

yeah I will do the same which I will hate holding 3200 points on xbox which is already there for the sp. That's gonna be damn tempting to spend it on other stuff.

The Librarians of Adeptus Astartes tell us "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment." fortunately I am rarely wrong so you can relax :p

One need only look at the price markup on the PS3 Season Pass in Europe to see that Trion isn't afraid to abuse Sony's open price policy to increase their profits. If they're okay with charging Europeans more than the full DLC price for their discounted season passes they're not about to hand out free content packs to everyone. I reckon everyone will get the area maps but only those who buy get the missions.

lol that seems to be an interesting topic that I am gonna have to read more about I see.

MacDeath
05-01-2013, 02:04 AM
Hmm according to comments based off a blog free people will be still able to do the missions that's included in the dlc. Now does that mean every mission and new dungeon and every single bit of free and important content (not skins or hats) is what I really have to know before buying the pass. I wouldn't put it pass a company to charge a huge price for skins (look at the last two gears of war games for example).
But those comments may not be correct. No one outside of a few people at Trion know what is exclusive to season pass holders.

KOLZ
05-01-2013, 02:07 AM
But those comments may not be correct. No one outside of a few people at Trion know what is exclusive to season pass holders.

Well not entirely but the stuff they mentioned that was is clearly not worth a 40 dollar price tag of a SP. Some vehicle, some skin, a new race that won't matter much because alt's don't have much of a purpose in this game at least at the moment. So yeah there is hopefully exclusive stuff to SP holders that clearly says it's worth it.

Archeus9
05-01-2013, 02:09 AM
You get a hat.

Welcome to the new tf2 :p i kid.. i kid.

KOLZ
05-01-2013, 02:10 AM
Welcome to the new tf2 :p i kid.. i kid.

LOL with a huge price tag on it. ;)

MacDeath
05-01-2013, 02:10 AM
Well not entirely but the stuff they mentioned that was is clearly not worth a 40 dollar price tag of a SP. Some vehicle, some skin, a new race that won't matter much because alt's don't have much of a purpose in this game at least at the moment. So yeah there is hopefully exclusive stuff to SP holders that clearly says it's worth it.
That would be the missions one would think. Other's may think the items are worth it. Still others may think none of it is worth the price.

Nexos_Arc
05-01-2013, 02:11 AM
... I am not exactly seeing my self buying a SP for a big price of 40 dollars if ....

If 40$ is a big price for you, I recommend you wait at least until the 1st dlc is out to make the call.

KOLZ
05-01-2013, 02:14 AM
If 40$ is a big price for you, I recommend you wait at least until the 1st dlc is out to make the call.

yeah I am definitely waiting it out which I hate to do cause there are gonna be a more stuff to get but it would be better than wasting 3200 points on skins or a vehicle..oh yeah and another race that really won't need to be played, lol. Hoping though that will be some official word on this sooner than later though.

Cyripax NeoPrime
05-01-2013, 02:15 AM
Im trying to find the page/source right now. I know it was from one of Nathan Richardsons blogs, so it came from an official source and insider at trion. He clearly said the free part included features and content and that everyone, free or paid would be able to play the missions because they dont want to segregate the player base from taking part with each other. And the paid content would essentially be new weapons/vehicles/and a new playable race. They havent said much else. And notice that they have been very clever by not adding the fact that there are free versions anywhere the season pass is advertised for sale. they dont want you to know. I already have mine and enjoy this game a WHOLE lot. But for ppl thinking about it, id recommend waiting till they officially announce what the paid versions get you. I got mine with my ultimate exition so in my head it was essentially free as id pay the 40$ for my messenger bag and the 1200bits alone. But others might want to wait till they release more info.

Cyripax NeoPrime
05-01-2013, 02:16 AM
That would be the missions one would think. Other's may think the items are worth it. Still others may think none of it is worth the price.
Hey congrats on getting your question on across the badlands man!

tuckerpb
05-01-2013, 02:20 AM
what they could be saying is that if they add mission to the current areas then the people that did not buy can do them but if the open new area the people that did can do the missions there.

mabie something like anarchy online. the base game is free, but you have to pay to access shadow lands and the items you get there, or the alien addon. that takes place in the normal area but with paying for it you can't the the alien events or use there weapons.

KOLZ
05-01-2013, 02:24 AM
what they could be saying is that if they add mission to the current areas then the people that did not buy can do them but if the open new area the people that did can do the missions there.

mabie something like anarchy online. the base game is free, but you have to pay to access shadow lands and the items you get there, or the alien addon. that takes place in the normal area but with paying for it you can't the the alien events or use there weapons.

Yeah no kidding. There is no way in hell should have they brought this up with so little info. It's causing a lot of confusion and just imagine the reaction to everything being free while people have already wasted 40 dollars on a sp. It should have been waited for until they had more info like paid people get lvl caps, new dungeons, whatever else. Guess we can't do nothing but wait it out until then.

MacDeath
05-01-2013, 02:27 AM
Hey congrats on getting your question on across the badlands man!
Thanks. :) I missed this week's show. Did they have a good answer?
I joined the U.S. Marines when I was 17. I was exposed to a LOT of creative cussing and hoped David was planning more for the show/game.

Here's an example: "If I wanted any sh*t out of you, I'd open your skull and dip it out". Which is a more creative way, IMO, than simply calling someone, "Sh*t for brains".

[EDIT] I just watched the show. There IS hope for more creative cussing.

KOLZ
05-01-2013, 02:29 AM

catch up on it, it's on the syfy web site in it's entirety. :P

Murton
05-01-2013, 02:30 AM
that seems to be an interesting topic that I am gonna have to read more about I see.

Yeah, price markups are nothing new to PS3 owners in the UK, we know that quite often a publisher will abuse Sony's loose hand on pricing to charge us more than everyone else. What I take particular exception to with the Defiance Season Pass is that since before release day it has been advertised at 25, which is the true price paid by everyone else, but the Season Pass wasn't available on the PS Store due to some technical issue until very recently (last week) and it now suddenly costs 32, a markup of over 25% Furthermore the original page on the Defiance website that advertised the price as 25 has been taken offline within the last couple of days, as of right now regardless of where you are in the world the PS3 page shows the price in USD, neatly hiding the price change.

I'm usually more for playing the game than posting on its forum but stuff like this really grinds my gears, even more so than not being able to find the droids I'm looking for.

Cyripax NeoPrime
05-01-2013, 02:31 AM
I believe you asked about the languages yes? If there was one common language used by the votan collectivelly? If that was you they said tht castithan /they called it some wierd name as well , but that was like the english of the 7 races and the most widely common.

KOLZ
05-01-2013, 02:35 AM
Yeah, price markups are nothing new to PS3 owners in the UK, we know that quite often a publisher will abuse Sony's loose hand on pricing to charge us more than everyone else. What I take particular exception to with the Defiance Season Pass is that since before release day it has been advertised at 25, which is the true price paid by everyone else, but the Season Pass wasn't available on the PS Store due to some technical issue until very recently (last week) and it now suddenly costs 32, a markup of over 25% Furthermore the original page on the Defiance website that advertised the price as 25 has been taken offline within the last couple of days, as of right now regardless of where you are in the world the PS3 page shows the price in USD, neatly hiding the price change.

I'm usually more for playing the game than posting on its forum but stuff like this really grinds my gears, even more so than not being able to find the droids I'm looking for.

lol definitely some crazy stuff to get away with. And people cry when a small priced dlc comes out lol.. But hey imagine the feeling of paying for the dlc at even a higher price just for it to given away for free to everyone, lol. usually I don't get this much in to the pricing of SP's because I get what I expect out of them but hearing this really caught my attention by a lot.

Murton
05-01-2013, 02:59 AM
lol definitely some crazy stuff to get away with. And people cry when a small priced dlc comes out lol.. But hey imagine the feeling of paying for the dlc at even a higher price just for it to given away for free to everyone, lol. usually I don't get this much in to the pricing of SP's because I get what I expect out of them but hearing this really caught my attention by a lot.

My interest in playing Defiance has been lowered by some in game stuff, the lack of team play and social aspect mostly so the Season Pass is a no go for me unless something rekindles that interest to play. But if there's even a chance that I pay more for my Season Pass than you would for all of the DLC separately and then some third guy gets the actual content bits for free? That just makes it a no brainer.

KOLZ
05-01-2013, 03:06 AM
My interest in playing Defiance has been lowered by some in game stuff, the lack of team play and social aspect mostly so the Season Pass is a no go for me unless something rekindles that interest to play. But if there's even a chance that I pay more for my Season Pass than you would for all of the DLC separately and then some third guy gets the actual content bits for free? That just makes it a no brainer.

I always play my games alone even a mmo unless I am doing a dungeon. The social aspect doesn't matter much to me since I got my game to play and not talk and hear annoying people either breathing heavy in to my mic or having some squeaky voiced kid on my mic because their parent's don't know how the send the annoying bastard to school or bed. Definitely wishing there some kind of update on this. Not like a full 50 pages of what sp people get but some kind of idea that would let us know if it's worth it for more than just skins or weapons which I do like to get but not at that price if the rest of the stuff is free, lol. I don't care about keeping everyone together that's their fault for not having the dlc but charging people 40 dollars for just minor things like skins and vehicle? O_o Definitely has got to be much more to this.

MacDeath
05-01-2013, 03:19 AM
I believe you asked about the languages yes? If there was one common language used by the votan collectivelly? If that was you they said tht castithan /they called it some wierd name as well , but that was like the english of the 7 races and the most widely common.
I asked if more cuss words were coming. I like creative cussing not just using the same few boring words for all purposes.

KOLZ
05-01-2013, 04:41 AM
I asked if more cuss words were coming. I like creative cussing not just using the same few boring words for all purposes.

Actually it don't make sense that they mix curse words. I can get the idea of the alien races having their own curse words but then why use English ones? Or why not just use them all together?

Eisberg
05-01-2013, 05:32 AM

You haven't seen the "Trion False advertisement" about Episodic content, have you? Every one of those threads have people saying that Trion said there would be Episode Missions every episode (episode missions like the Nolan Irissa mission we did when the game started). When asked for them to prove it, they just direct you to the internet, literally, they tell you to go look it up yourself, they never provide proof, or they tell you to prove they are wrong and show an article or interview where they state there "will not be Missions after every episode" :rolleyes: