PDA

View Full Version : TV show borrowed idea from walking dead

teccho
04-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Hello,
I have really been enjoying the tv show of defiance which seems to be getting better with every episode and it was great to see the hellbugs featured. One thing I did notice was that they covered themselves in hellbug sthacko, this is a lot similar to the walking dead season 1 episode 2 and the comics in volume one where they escaped Atlanta by covering themselves in zombie guts so the zombies didn't smell them. I am not saying that's a bad thing because its good defiance is recognising good things from other tv shows and using them making the show even better.

What does everyone else think?

carpesangrea
04-30-2013, 11:53 PM
You say this like walking dead was the origin of that concept XD

Cricket
04-30-2013, 11:54 PM
There are actually quite a few syfy shows in which they cover themselves in some form of garbage from the enemy to prevent them from smelling them... Ive seen pheremones, guts, urine, and now poo...

Anderson
04-30-2013, 11:56 PM
You say this like walking dead was the origin of that concept XD

Was The Walking Dead the origin of ANY concept?

Sanguinesun
04-30-2013, 11:57 PM
Actually if you want a show with a more similar base plot, a guy blows into a town with his daughter and ends up being sheriff, then Eureka would be a closer fit(and one cant help feeling that it was one of the reasons Eureka was dumped over Defiance).

Sanguinesun
04-30-2013, 11:58 PM

Comic book series of the same name.

Kronik
05-01-2013, 12:03 AM
What about predator Arnold gets all muddy thats like 100 years ago... ok its more like 20

Acindo
05-01-2013, 12:03 AM
Wow.. Just wow.

Walking Dead are so far from the first people to use that.

The fact you think defiance specifically took it from walking dead just makes me want to insult you but I won't.

teccho
05-01-2013, 12:09 AM
So much hate on the forums lol

Ryan
05-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Hello,
I have really been enjoying the tv show of defiance which seems to be getting better with every episode and it was great to see the hellbugs featured. One thing I did notice was that they covered themselves in hellbug sthacko, this is a lot similar to the walking dead season 1 episode 2 and the comics in volume one where they escaped Atlanta by covering themselves in zombie guts so the zombies didn't smell them. I am not saying that's a bad thing because its good defiance is recognising good things from other tv shows and using them making the show even better.

IMO aslong as the stolen material was done properly I don't care. This goes for Shows, Games, and Movies.
I like Mass Effect and sometimes I see Mass Effect in Defiance and I'm fine with it, because it was done properly.
Everything is a stolen idea nowadays anyways.

Panthan
05-01-2013, 12:14 AM
Hello,

its just about the oldest hunting trick in the book, dogs for instance roll around stacko to conceal their scent.
Heck even in Futurama they used a simular trick, they wrapped some broken robo parts around their body to hide the fact they are humans while trying to find bender on the robo planet.
Jurrasic park 2 had a scene where they used dino shtacko to conceal their scent to avoid drawing agro from.. dinos
Even in one of the Grizzly adams episodes they've done something like this.
Like cricket stated there are plenty of series doing this. Heck even star trek.

Bottom line is if you really back track ANY scene in ANY series you'll see everything has been done in another movie/series/story.

Kronik
05-01-2013, 12:17 AM
Simpsons did it!!!

Anderson
05-01-2013, 12:18 AM
IMO aslong as the stolen material was done properly I don't care. This goes for Shows, Games, and Movies.
I like Mass Effect and sometimes I see Mass Effect in Defiance and I'm fine with it, because it was done properly.
Everything is a stolen idea nowadays anyways.

Everything has always been an idea stolen from somewhere else. What's relatively new is the idea of originality somehow being important.

Most of the writings of guys like Chaucer and Shakespeare were just retellings of some story someone else wrote. The reason we remember them though, is because they told the story WELL.

MacDeath
05-01-2013, 12:20 AM
I'm pretty sure Homer had his guys using that trick thousands of years ago.

Anderson
05-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Oh also as far as what Defiance is ripping off, the setting is definitely just the same as Borderlands except they try for serious drama instead of irreverent comedy.

Archeus9
05-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Hello,

Please tell me your really young or just kidding... x.x

Kaiz
05-01-2013, 12:28 AM
Reminds me of all of those people that think that every MMORPG ripped off of WoW.

AmnesiaHaze
05-01-2013, 01:00 AM
walking dead has borrowed that idea from the original predator movie lol

Kronik
05-01-2013, 01:16 AM
@amnesia

I tried to tell him that too. lol. Although Im sure hunters have been doing it for ages... Either that or they all have urine fetishes.

mushinwolf
05-01-2013, 01:24 AM
"..There is nothing new under the sun.."
Ecclesiastes 1:9
Shows,games,books,films 'borrow' ideas of each other all the time, its one reason you can feel comfortable with a new game/film etc..they have similarities your used to..like a set of genre benchmarks.

SWFTWLF
05-01-2013, 01:24 AM

Well in the comics the small community that Rick and the remaining survivors went to was basically being policed by a gay couple that were also kind of heads of said community. Not a whole lot of comics have post-apocalyptic gay marriage either.

Judgement Dave
05-01-2013, 01:42 AM
And I'm pretty sure that half the people thinking that the trick was first used in the past 30 years are now wondering what The Simpsons have to do with anything.

Kronik
05-01-2013, 01:44 AM
It was a South Park episode about how evrrything had been done before. Pop culture anyone?

Darth Haighter
05-01-2013, 01:44 AM

best reference ever! +10

Darth Haighter
05-01-2013, 01:53 AM
Everything has always been an idea stolen from somewhere else. What's relatively new is the idea of originality somehow being important.

Most of the writings of guys like Chaucer and Shakespeare were just retellings of some story someone else wrote. The reason we remember them though, is because they told the story WELL.

says it all, really. the various tweaks and changes to the overall archetypes are really the thing that gives the story life...it's in the telling as, Anderson said so well. the who/what/why/how formula doesn't change that much civilization to civilization, era to era but certain people have a way for the retelling, which gives it a story new life of it's own.

on another level, it's hilarious how the Galactica use of fake profanity has found it's way into another SyFi show...i personally enjoy "jek" in place of "heck"? (i guess)

and finally, the simpsons, have indeed, already done it. didn't you all see the hellbug episode in seaon 14?

Dandrielas
05-01-2013, 01:56 AM
That is one of the oldest hunting tricks in the book. lolz It is the only way to hunt some animals because their smell is so good.

Cyripax NeoPrime
05-01-2013, 01:59 AM
I say so? Who really cares? Respectfully of course