PDA

View Full Version : Finally, some weapon documentation...

CaptainRaj
05-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Annoyingly, I've worked out all of this already, but for those struggling/new, this might be very helpful:

http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/04/30/weapons-and-weapon-skills/

digibluez
05-01-2013, 08:28 AM
yeah, if they only put that kind of stuff INTO the game itself rather than a blog, not many look on the web site daily or forums, they just jump into the game, without getting this kind of knowledge. A bit useless in some way.

Specially this bit:
Fire – Lights the enemy on fire for a short period of time, damaging them while they are on fire.
Radiation – Increases the amount of damage that enemies take while affected by it.
Biological – Slows down enemies and reduces the damage that they do while they are affected by it.
Electrical – Stuns the enemy and other nearby enemies for a short period of time. Removes the player’s HUD, if used on a player.
Syphon – Takes life energy from the enemy and uses that to repair your shields and increase your health.

Omnifarious Xji
05-01-2013, 09:05 AM
This would have been great at launch... I was running around with lvl 3 bolt actions till like EGO 700, because I didn't know I wasn't gaining weapon class XP. (I was using the Deadbolt you start the game with) And it wasn't till just last night that I learned what the other elements even did/what their name's were. All I knew was that the purple element randomly did like an extra 40% of your weapons damage, Incendiary well, burned stuff, Shock stunned stuff, the blue bio-hazard slowed stuff down, and the rest didn't actually do anything.

Apparently that one element that looks like a pile of green puke is ultra rare... I have a few of those mods, and have destroyed/sold a few as well, thinking they were only good for making my weapons bullets turn green.

PookLove
05-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Finally.......

EdgeTW
05-01-2013, 09:10 AM
I am just floored that the article wraps up with weapon mastery and stops conveniently short of mentioning the much-hated relationship between mastering a weapon and losing the ability to gain further skill in said line of weapons. It's such an important point and a major part of the design, how could they not mention it?

It makes it seem like the author was just too embarrassed to go into the topic any further. I was literally scrolling down the page thinking "where's the rest of the article?". Instead, all I found were a bunch of player-written comments pointing out the same glaring omission. If they were hoping to just quietly duck out on this one without anyone noticing, good luck with that.

You know, somewhere in that office is a designer who must be thinking "I don't need to explain my reasoning to.. players..." with as much disdain as possible. I say that because weapon mastery is such a hot topic on the forums, and yet communication on the subject from the developers is completely absent.

squidgod2000
05-01-2013, 09:16 AM
I am just floored that the article wraps up with weapon mastery and stops conveniently short of mentioning the much-hated relationship between mastering a weapon and losing the ability to gain further skill in said line of weapons. It's such an important point and a major part of the design, how could they not mention it?

It makes it seem like the author was just too embarrassed to go into the topic any further. I was literally scrolling down the page thinking "where's the rest of the article?". Instead, all I found were a bunch of player-written comments pointing out the same glaring omission. If they were hoping to just quietly duck out on this one without anyone noticing, good luck with that.

You know, somewhere in that office is a designer who must be thinking "I don't need to explain my reasoning to.. players..." with as much disdain as possible. I say that because weapon mastery is such a hot topic on the forums, and yet communication on the subject from the developers is completely absent.

Pretty much this.

Padooka
05-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Same here. :-) I was running around with a weapon I liked not even realizing I wasn't gaining weapon xp because the weapon was maxed out. lol oh well :-)

And I'm going to start keeping an eye out for the green puke element.

This would have been great at launch... I was running around with lvl 3 bolt actions till like EGO 700, because I didn't know I wasn't gaining weapon class XP. (I was using the Deadbolt you start the game with) And it wasn't till just last night that I learned what the other elements even did/what their name's were. All I knew was that the purple element randomly did like an extra 40% of your weapons damage, Incendiary well, burned stuff, Shock stunned stuff, the blue bio-hazard slowed stuff down, and the rest didn't actually do anything.

Apparently that one element that looks like a pile of green puke is ultra rare... I have a few of those mods, and have destroyed/sold a few as well, thinking they were only good for making my weapons bullets turn green.

Schwa
05-01-2013, 09:21 AM
I still have no idea what toxic does (green puke).

Merrin Nightbringer
05-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Same here. :-) I was running around with a weapon I liked not even realizing I wasn't gaining weapon xp because the weapon was maxed out. lol oh well :-)

And I'm going to start keeping an eye out for the green puke element.

The green puke element is a graphical bug at best. It should- in theory, as it currently stands- have the same effect as Radiation. Someone mentioned in the comments section of the blog they thought at one point Radiation was for health and the Corrosive was for shields, but the mechanic was later dropped (which, if that was the case, I'm glad they dropped).

Omnifarious Xji
05-01-2013, 09:23 AM

And I'm going to start keeping an eye out for the green puke element. Apparently it's like the bio and radioactive elements combined or something. Check the contract vendor at Toolworks. The first item in their store, a revolver, has that element.

Numina
05-01-2013, 09:24 AM
It is very frustrating the lack of explanations on very critical information in this game. I completely agree this would have been fantastic info at launch, as I ran around for a good two weeks switching between the same few favorite weapons I had acquired, which were already very quickly maxed in weapon xp, before I figured this info out for myself. And they really should do some in depth explanations on synergy weapons/mods. It is ridiculous that it is taking me literally weeks to figure out tidbits of info, piece by piece, and some of it being guess work.

Omnifarious Xji
05-01-2013, 09:25 AM
The green puke element is a graphical bug at best. It should- in theory, as it currently stands- have the same effect as Radiation. Someone mentioned in the comments section of the blog they thought at one point Radiation was for health and the Corrosive was for shields, but the mechanic was later dropped (which, if that was the case, I'm glad they dropped).If it's a graphical bug, then why do I have actual mods with the "Toxic" element on them? Check my store below. Toxic shot converter for Shotguns.

Draaconis
05-01-2013, 09:30 AM
The green puke element is a graphical bug at best. It should- in theory, as it currently stands- have the same effect as Radiation. Someone mentioned in the comments section of the blog they thought at one point Radiation was for health and the Corrosive was for shields, but the mechanic was later dropped (which, if that was the case, I'm glad they dropped).

Corrosive was abandoned. It is all radiation now. I think it's supposed to be strong against armored enemies.

Aternak
05-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Damn, I was hoping they would explain weapon stats in there. There are some inconsistencies with Accuracy and BMG Charge inside the game...

CaptainRaj
05-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Apparently that one element that looks like a pile of green puke is ultra rare...

LOL! I literally laughed out loud. I'm still laughing. Sorry, I know it's not helpful or constructive but I had to share. I had coffee coming out of my nose.

Dwane
05-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Fire – Lights the enemy on fire for a short period of time, damaging them while they are on fire.
Radiation – Increases the amount of damage that enemies take while affected by it.
Biological – Slows down enemies and reduces the damage that they do while they are affected by it.
Electrical – Stuns the enemy and other nearby enemies for a short period of time. Removes the player’s HUD, if used on a player.
Syphon – Takes life energy from the enemy and uses that to repair your shields and increase your health.

So which one is this?
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2194/defiance201305011841109.png

Omnifarious Xji
05-01-2013, 10:01 AM
So which one is this?
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2194/defiance201305011841109.png Toxic. /10char

Facade
05-01-2013, 10:11 AM
If it's a graphical bug, then why do I have actual mods with the "Toxic" element on them? Check my store below. Toxic shot converter for Shotguns.

If what people were saying is correct they didn't remove all of the icons for it. Using these still only apply the "radiation" effect.
I found a shotty that had that as well and used it for awhile. It didn't apply any bio effect on proc and had the same effect as the "radiation" one.

Santana Ortega
05-01-2013, 10:17 AM
It is very frustrating the lack of explanations on very critical information in this game. I completely agree this would have been fantastic info at launch, as I ran around for a good two weeks switching between the same few favorite weapons I had acquired, which were already very quickly maxed in weapon xp, before I figured this info out for myself. And they really should do some in depth explanations on synergy weapons/mods. It is ridiculous that it is taking me literally weeks to figure out tidbits of info, piece by piece, and some of it being guess work.

The information is cheaper to put on the internet or blog then have it coded into the game.

Simple as that.
This way it also allows players access that information and to respond to the information if it is on the internet.

Tgreen
05-01-2013, 10:31 AM
So which one is this?
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2194/defiance201305011841109.png

As far as I can tell it has no different effect from Radiation, but I only ever had one gun that had toxic nano.
Maybe it did something else in the beta? Or maybe it should do something else and we have yet another bug.

Dwane
05-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Toxic. /10char

So whats this then?

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8199/defiance201305011928333.png

Tgreen
05-01-2013, 10:35 AM
So whats this then?

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8199/defiance201305011928333.png

Biological.

Numina
05-01-2013, 08:13 PM
The information is cheaper to put on the internet or blog then have it coded into the game.

Simple as that.
This way it also allows players access that information and to respond to the information if it is on the internet.

Except there is a glaring lack of that as well. This game was released on the 2nd, this blog post containing this info wasn't released until the 30th. There is nothing official on the synergies (not that synergies are the only issue needing info released). It is not as though they do not have the information.

EdgeTW
05-03-2013, 08:34 AM

Yes, quoting myself. :P

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but the line "A mastered weapon no longer contributes to weapon skill." was quietly tacked on to the very end of that article. I guess the complaints in this thread and in the comment sections were noticed.

However, I think they're missing the point in that the community would clearly love to have a sit-down with the designer behind this mechanic and attempt to understand the reasoning here (from both sides).

Archellion
05-03-2013, 09:24 AM
However, I think they're missing the point in that the community would clearly love to have a sit-down with the designer behind this mechanic and attempt to understand the reasoning here (from both sides).

In my opinion, whatever the reasoning behind this design choice (even if the reasoning is good) it does not excuse this horrid mechanic (especially when you consider that there is no item bank.) The current system eliminates a choice that players should be able to make by railroading them into equipping weapons that they are not particularly interested in using. Whoever designed this system has turned something that should be a fun and interesting gameplay choice into a tedious chore by forcing us down the "throwaway" weapon path. Personally, this makes me feel a bit resentful toward Trion for dangling the illusion of choice in front of me, but keeping real choice just out of reach.

This system needs to change, immediately. Defiance should never have launched with it in the first place.