PDA

View Full Version : Defiance is sexist in its representation of women.

Evil Panda GMan
05-01-2013, 10:31 AM
When I've been playing as a female Irathient, I've noticed some blatant sexist and misogynistic trends in Defiance. Have you seen the way that Cass is dressed? Instead of being fully-clothed--as every male character is--she is scantily clad in a revealing top. While it would be acceptable if, say, in real life, a woman chose to wear that of her own volition, this is the primary female character in the game who was created by males to be a sexual object to please the 53% of gamers who are male. Not only is it objectifying, it is also dehumanizing, degrading, and frankly offensive. The game developers designed her to be a character that they could manipulate--since she is a female they feel that they have control over her. Moreover, the sound effects that the female character models make when they are being shot at or meleeing are extremely sexualized. None of the male characters make sexual sounds when they are being assaulted, nor do they dress in a sexual manner, and Karl Von Bach constantly makes lewd sexual remarks to female characters. This promotes abuse of women--specifically, **** of women. If you think that's funny, I hope you realize that one in three women is *****; therefore, statistically speaking, you know at least one woman who has been *****. If that's not enough for you, I hope you know that one in ten men is *****, so statistically speaking, you also know a man who has been *****. The point here is that this game promotes the sexism that is already so overly present in the video game industry and in nearly every game that has female characters. This is 2013; it's time to change things. Contrary to formerly popular belief, women are actually human and are equals with men--and always have been. Also, your "women in the kitchen" comments and those like it are clear reasons why you will be alone and a lonely, sorry, lowlife loser forever. That kind of jack-assery needs to stop.

Developers:
- Please get some new sound effects that don't sound so sexual.
- Redress Cass and any other females that you stripped down.
- Have a female in the story beat the crap out of Karl Von Bach so that he can be an example. (Women have a right to stand up for themselves just like men)
- Ask some of the female developers on the show and the game how they feel as females in gaming culture (If you can count the number of female developers on one hand, you're doing something wrong)
- Refrain from misrepresenting either sex in the future.
- If you ever chose to address a serious issue, such as **** by mutants or bandits in the wasteland, you had better be clearly making a point that it is wrong on every level, because looking at other posts on this forum about sexism there are some terrible "jokes" being made about it. Clearly, the players of your game do not take the issue seriously, but maybe you can attempt to redeem yourself by doing something good for once.
- Realize that 47% of all gamers are female, and the reason why that is not apparent is because they choose to remain anonymous, due to games like these and gamers who play these games. Not all games and gamers are sexist and will harass women, but the ones that do ruin gaming for women.
- Think about everything that you put in a videogame, its effect on others, and how there will always be someone who will turn it into a negative thing, so limit the ammunition for that as much as possible.

Ataraxia
05-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Haahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahaaha

Cavadus
05-01-2013, 10:34 AM
How about the fact that there isn't a single female enemy mob/NPC of any faction in the entire game? Apparently the developers think only men can be bad guys. Sexist bastards.

/reversesexism

Shogo_Yahagi
05-01-2013, 10:37 AM
When you overgeneralize, you make an Over General of you and me.

Tgreen
05-01-2013, 10:38 AM
[...]Cass [...] dehumanizing[...]

How do you dehumanize anyone who isn't human?

XGC Cipher
05-01-2013, 10:40 AM
i lol'ed so hard at this

duction
this is the problem with this world.. too many 'do gooders'. next thing you will be doing is changing your name to captain planet.

jnt

This **** just got literal.

Anderson
Poe's Law all up in here.

Soobydoo
I agree to a point but most of the video game industry is sexist. Same can be said for Hollywood, marketing, etc.

Sex sells. Boobs sell.

Ciannon
05-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Best thing I haven't read all day!

Theonus
05-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Nobody post any new stuff for the next 5 minutes, I need to go make some popcorn!

Irres169
05-01-2013, 10:44 AM
tldr;

summary?

DejaVooDoo
...Have you seen the way that Cass is dressed? ...

Have you seen how Cass is an empowered, confident female who is totally unashamed of her sexuality? Have you seen how Cass is one of the more important, present characters throughout the game? Have you seen how Cass is one of the more developed, funny, likable characters? Have you seen how Cass is open and unrepentant about the fact that she enjoys sex and drinking and isn't too picky when it comes to either. Have you seen how Cass makes more and better sexually aggressive jokes than VB? Have you seen how Cass can choose how and when to objectify herself, but will not suffer another's attempt to objectify her? Have you seen how Cass is kinda sorda just like (dare I say, equal to) a man?

Jardian
When I've been playing as a female Irathient, I've noticed some blatant sexist and misogynistic trends in Defiance. Have you seen the way that Cass is dressed? Instead of being fully-clothed--as every male character is--she is scantily clad in a revealing top. While it would be acceptable if, say, in real life, a woman chose to wear that of her own volition, this is the primary female character in the game who was created by males to be a sexual object to please the 53% of gamers who are male. Not only is it objectifying, it is also dehumanizing, degrading, and frankly offensive. The game developers designed her to be a character that they could manipulate--since she is a female they feel that they have control over her. Moreover, the sound effects that the female character models make when they are being shot at or meleeing are extremely sexualized. None of the male characters make sexual sounds when they are being assaulted, nor do they dress in a sexual manner, and Karl Von Bach constantly makes lewd sexual remarks to female characters. This promotes abuse of women--specifically, **** of women. If you think that's funny, I hope you realize that one in three women is *****; therefore, statistically speaking, you know at least one woman who has been *****. If that's not enough for you, I hope you know that one in ten men is *****, so statistically speaking, you also know a man who has been *****. The point here is that this game promotes the sexism that is already so overly present in the video game industry and in nearly every game that has female characters. This is 2013; it's time to change things. Contrary to formerly popular belief, women are actually human and are equals with men--and always have been. Also, your "women in the kitchen" comments and those like it are clear reasons why you will be alone and a lonely, sorry, lowlife loser forever. That kind of jack-assery needs to stop.

Developers:
- Please get some new sound effects that don't sound so sexual.
- Redress Cass and any other females that you stripped down.
- Have a female in the story beat the crap out of Karl Von Bach so that he can be an example. (Women have a right to stand up for themselves just like men)
- Ask some of the female developers on the show and the game how they feel as females in gaming culture (If you can count the number of female developers on one hand, you're doing something wrong)
- Refrain from misrepresenting either sex in the future.
- If you ever chose to address a serious issue, such as **** by mutants or bandits in the wasteland, you had better be clearly making a point that it is wrong on every level, because looking at other posts on this forum about sexism there are some terrible "jokes" being made about it. Clearly, the players of your game do not take the issue seriously, but maybe you can attempt to redeem yourself by doing something good for once.
- Realize that 47% of all gamers are female, and the reason why that is not apparent is because they choose to remain anonymous, due to games like these and gamers who play these games. Not all games and gamers are sexist and will harass women, but the ones that do ruin gaming for women.
- Think about everything that you put in a videogame, its effect on others, and how there will always be someone who will turn it into a negative thing, so limit the ammunition for that as much as possible.

After looking over this BS I must say. If you are that worried about it dont play M rated games. And also you may find Hello Kitty more to your taste it is that way ------>

RoG Goat
05-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Cass as a character is a ***** who uses sexual acts to get what she wants.
Why wouldn't she be dressed like that?

Cross
05-01-2013, 10:47 AM

I was wondering the same thing. Dehumanizing the Irathient...huh? I had the impression that Cass also used her sex appeal to get what she wanted. At what point in the game did they make Cass seem inferior to men?

vapitron
05-01-2013, 10:47 AM
right! snow suits for all in-game females! and make em fatter too! it's sexist to make women thin or attractive! small breasts are much less sexist as well, so small boobs ftw! what else? can she have a deeper voice? it's too 'feminine' and thats sexist!
so check check and check, attractive females = sexist, let's rant!

Tgreen
05-01-2013, 11:00 AM
I agree to a point but most of the video game industry is sexist. Same can be said for Hollywood, marketing, etc.

1. Go to google.
2. Type in 'underwear' and select images.
3. Count the ratio of men & women depicted.

I still have to agree to some extent since women being used for their looks is more widespread.
But exploiting our sexdrive has no boundries ... none at all.

ps: Note to self ... need to buy underwear.

pps: Way to many posts that almost nearly take the OP seriously.

Devovum
05-01-2013, 11:05 AM
All y'all been trolled, you know.

Seriously, an account made today, with only this post to their name?

DarkShadowMark
05-01-2013, 11:08 AM
At first I was like: Lolwut?
Then I was like: PPPFFFFFHAHAHAHAHAA Idiot.

Wanna know sumthin funny tho, bro?

Its only the irathiants that have such revealing clothing.

90 percent of the human females in the game have generally non-revealing clothing. I know this as I play as one in game.

Cass is depicted as a hooker because...SURPRISE, she is one. In one of the data recorders, it is mentioned that she "enjoys being touched". There are probably one or two more that confirm this, though too lazy to look.

Just because YOU think that the women in the game are over sexualized, doesn't mean you are either right nor intelligent for thinking you're right. It is a valid subject, but the way you spoke about it is horribly wrong because you are demanding that Trion change a lot of aspects in the game.

Look at it this way, when it comes to changing large parts of the game, such as Cass' attire or EGO's annoying voice, Trion won't do it, and demanding them to change it when they already shoveled money out the door for voice actors and graphic designers that explicitly designed Cass' look is simply stupid and you need to either A: Get used to it, B: Change to a human chick and GET USED TO IT, or C: Leave the game so somebody else equally or more stupid can come along and fill your shoes so we can repeat this same conversation over and over and over again.

RelativeBlue
05-01-2013, 11:11 AM
I like Cass. She's one trashy alien.

Soobydoo
05-01-2013, 11:14 AM
1. Go to google.
2. Type in 'underwear' and select images.
3. Count the ratio of men & women depicted.

So I got to step 2 but how do you get to step 3. There are all these boobs and butts...wait, what were we talking about again? And why did I just spend 100 dollars on love cream?

Woodruff1987
05-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Regarding Cass: She's Irathient. They're wild. They tend towards two styles of dress: A) As little as possible, as clothing limits movement and traps heat (which is bad if you're active and it hot outside), or B) Lots of furs/natural materials. It's a part of their cultural heritage and behavioral patterns.
She's also confident, knows she's attractive, and is very capable of using it to get what she wants (as she mentions at several points and in little quest blurbs.)

Regarding Karl von Bach: Karl is that self-important nerd who has way too much money and not enough social skills. He's a lecher (probably due to little actual interaction with the female gender), narcissist (seriously... how long can this man monologue about how great he is?), apparently is now ***SPOILER ALERT*** possessed by the ark core he's trying to rebuild. ***END SPOILER*** (Spoiler comes from cutscenes already in game.)

Regarding Cass and Karl: These two interact quite a bit in the early part of the storyline... I seem to remember a scene where Cass threatens Karl with physical violence for his being a pervert... unfortunately, Karl is irascible, and further uses this threat as a means of being himself. Seems to me though that Cass is certainly capable of handling Karl's pathetic attempts at perving on her.

Regarding other females in the game: There certainly aren't a lot of them, are there? Actually I take that back... there are as many important female NPC's (Cass, Ara Shondu, Rosa, and Eren) as male (Grant, Karl, Cooper, and Torc) , and there are lots of minor NPC's in the various emergencies (some ranchers, some Echelon operatives, EMC even has a few female field staff).
Rosa dresses the way most mechanics tend to... Overalls with light chest coverage. The overalls are roomy, circulate airflow, and are easily removed in an emergency. Light chest coverage is due to how freaking hot it gets when you're working in a garage! There's no way I'm wearing a full sleeve when I'm under the hood of a vehicle...
And frankly Ara Shondu and Eren both show very little skin at all. Ara wears a full set of dressy, business suit-esque robes and Eren wears a variation of the standard Indogene scientists body suits. Neither is any less attractive member of their species compared to the lighter clothed prominent females... so frankly, they're merely dressed in a manner that is appropriate for their job or personality. It's not sexist, it's character development.

XxGoatzxX
05-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Maybe your virtual person should write a letter to its virtual congressman or woman, and when that's done you should go outside and hug a tree hippie! It's a video game, who cares

RelativeBlue
05-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Oh yeah, Rosa Rodriguez! Now we're talkin'!

DarkShadowMark
05-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Oh yeah, Rosa Rodriguez! Now we're talkin'!

Dat Rosa *lip bite*

Ciannon
05-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Regarding Cass: She's Irathient. They're wild. They tend towards two styles of dress: A) As little as possible, as clothing limits movement and traps heat (which is bad if you're active and it hot outside), or B) Lots of furs/natural materials. It's a part of their cultural heritage and behavioral patterns.
She's also confident, knows she's attractive, and is very capable of using it to get what she wants (as she mentions at several points and in little quest blurbs.)

Regarding Karl von Bach: Karl is that self-important nerd who has way too much money and not enough social skills. He's a lecher (probably due to little actual interaction with the female gender), narcissist (seriously... how long can this man monologue about how great he is?), apparently is now ***SPOILER ALERT*** possessed by the ark core he's trying to rebuild. ***END SPOILER*** (Spoiler comes from cutscenes already in game.)

Regarding Cass and Karl: These two interact quite a bit in the early part of the storyline... I seem to remember a scene where Cass threatens Karl with physical violence for his being a pervert... unfortunately, Karl is irascible, and further uses this threat as a means of being himself. Seems to me though that Cass is certainly capable of handling Karl's pathetic attempts at perving on her.

Regarding other females in the game: There certainly aren't a lot of them, are there? Actually I take that back... there are as many important female NPC's (Cass, Ara Shondu, Rosa, and Eren) as male (Grant, Karl, Cooper, and Torc) , and there are lots of minor NPC's in the various emergencies (some ranchers, some Echelon operatives, EMC even has a few female field staff).
Rosa dresses the way most mechanics tend to... Overalls with light chest coverage. The overalls are roomy, circulate airflow, and are easily removed in an emergency. Light chest coverage is due to how freaking hot it gets when you're working in a garage! There's no way I'm wearing a full sleeve when I'm under the hood of a vehicle...
And frankly Ara Shondu and Eren both show very little skin at all. Ara wears a full set of dressy, business suit-esque robes and Eren wears a variation of the standard Indogene scientists body suits. Neither is any less attractive member of their species compared to the lighter clothed prominent females... so frankly, they're merely dressed in a manner that is appropriate for their job or personality. It's not sexist, it's character development.

I don't know what you said, but way to ruin a thread.

Kraix
05-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Not sure if trolling...

AmnesiaHaze
05-01-2013, 11:23 AM
How about the fact that there isn't a single female enemy mob/NPC of any faction in the entire game? Apparently the developers think only men can be bad guys. Sexist bastards.

/reversesexism
yeah, also all men arent as steroid pumped either as all the male characters , must be sexism

/reversexism

Tgreen
05-01-2013, 11:27 AM
So I got to step 2 but how do you get to step 3. There are all these boobs and butts...wait, what were we talking about again? And why did I just spend 100 dollars on love cream?

That was my plan all along! Enjoy nonetheless. :>

Jeff Kaos
05-01-2013, 11:34 AM
If a female gamer feels offended by the portrayal of women in Defiance I figure her complaint is legit; I'm not now or have I ever been a woman so I can't really say otherwise. I also agree that most there's definitely something "off" with the women in this game. I admit that I've never made a female character and I've only ever ran into a handful in the game so I don't know how many clothing options there are for female toons. That being said most of the ones I did see were dressed pretty skanky. Same thing with the female npc's. You can argue all day long about "racial customs" and crap but as someone who's experienced combat first hand I'll say that you won't see too many women rolling into battle wearing cut-off "belly" shirts and skin-tight jeans; I don't care where they come from. I half expect to see "bikini armor" when I'm out there in the badlands and I'd not be at all surprised if I did see it on a female mob if there's ever such a thing.

Ryme
05-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Isn't there another thread by a "girl" complaining that female characters don't have enough "feminine" outfits?

here: http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?54237-Female-outfits

Don't blame men for how women are represented in games. Blame women for not being able to reach a consensus on how they would like to be represented.

xirtam
05-01-2013, 11:38 AM
you are ridiculous if there were female enemies you or somebody or your type would be like OMG VIOLANCE AGAINST WOMEN >.<, and you can just put on armor to hide your shame and if you want men running in their underwear in their underwear making sexy sound then power to you. if your just a lesbian troll then go somewhere else.

TravelerX1
05-01-2013, 11:41 AM
So I guess the assless chaps outfit I requested for my Irathient female isn't going to be happening anytime soon?

Cptn4narchy
05-01-2013, 11:42 AM
I agree with this. Also all the guns promote aggressive violence, runners are promoting reckless driving, endagering the lives of everyone one the road. There are what... Three bars... Clearly promotes underage drinking. Where are my missions were I hug aliens and plant trees???

Thorne25
05-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Hi everyone,

We feel that this thread has degenerated into a non-constructive discussion, so we've closed it. Please remember to keep your comments respectful and constructive at all times on our forums, even when you disagree with others.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@defiance.com.

Thank you!