PDA

View Full Version : Defiance Ratings Hold Strong!

jonwes
05-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Great news for the show - the ratings were steady with Episode 2 for the third episode, which means no precipitous drop in viewership so far. A drop from episode 1 to 2 is expected. It gets more worrisome if you see more substantial drops from episode to episode from there on. But so far, so good:

Episode 1: DEFIANCE SYFY 9:00 PM 2.7 1.0
Episode 2: DEFIANCE SYFY 9:00 PM 2.4 0.8
Episode 3: DEFIANCE SYFY 9:00 PM 2.3 0.8

Note: First number is viewers in millions, the second number is the rating for the 18-49 demo.

Source: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/tag/defiance-ratings/

Dirt Nap
05-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Where's the sexy women demo rating?

Ngamok
05-01-2013, 11:52 AM
I am watching the show the day after on syfy.com

pyrolm
05-01-2013, 11:54 AM
They have kept me interested so far!

jonwes
05-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Funny how this thread has so few replies compared to the doom and gloom thread about Episode 2. LOL. Oh well.

Clarkeh
05-01-2013, 03:52 PM
It was an alright episode, felt the Matron encounter was a bit tacked on and due to budget they had the characters cover themselves in hellbug shtako to avoid a fight scene when a perfectly awesome Monarch chasing the main characters around the mine and just as the explosives detonate the roof caves in and crushes the Monarch would have made a much better thrilling episode.

But no we got a "peak" at the hellbug hive im hoping syfy explores and opens up the story involving Hellbugs but it seems the next episode involves the Volge which i can't complain about.

Zeliska
05-01-2013, 04:08 PM
I think so far, it is a solid show. The story pacing is well constructed and the character development is above average for a freshman show. It does have some room for improvement, but I think once we as the audience begin to see the show settle and really unveil the major elements that coincide with the former mayor's agenda, the "filler" shows will be forgiven and we will be able to focus on the greater dynamic that will hopefully lead us to a fantastic season end. Once the SYFY powers that be crunch the numbers and see what aspects of the show are really piquing our interests, we will see that information applied to the development of the second season, and get an even more focused show.

I for one am really enjoying the show and looking forward to every new episode. I hope there are a lot of you out there that share my sentiment :)

ratt707
05-01-2013, 04:47 PM
I finally watched, was a former skeptic, but was pleasantly surprised. You got yourself a convert syfy / trion.

baelrusk
05-01-2013, 04:50 PM
The show's been alright so far.

Shawnchapp
05-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Not suprised the show is 100x better then the game...

Defy
05-01-2013, 06:24 PM
good to hear :)

dalendria
05-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Good to see that the viewership is holding so far. That bodes well for the series. If they keep delivering episodes like Kenya's, SyFy may have another hit.

I really would love to see about 4-5 seasons. They would have time to dig deeper into the Votans culture, history and life (before/after earth).

Covington
05-08-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm happy - don't know what people want from a step up from "network" prime time tv.... I actually will dare to say - like this better than BSG - might have something to do with I have NO idea what they are doing... lol Good and bad thing. BSG=predictable.

mikel1
05-15-2013, 02:31 AM
So sad to see Julie Benz in this trope after enjoying her so much in Dexter. I curse the makers of Dexter for killing her off. I watched episode 1 just to see her again, but couldn't sit through any more than 10 minutes of the childishness. Haven't got a clue how anyone can watch grown people pretend they are aliens in those silly costumes and take it even the slightest bit seriously.

Zorlond
05-15-2013, 02:35 AM
I tried watching Dexter.

I have no flippin' clue how that series got a second season, much less still be going.

Orge Lambart
05-15-2013, 02:38 AM
So sad to see Julie Benz in this trope after enjoying her so much in Dexter. I curse the makers of Dexter for killing her off. I watched episode 1 just to see her again, but couldn't sit through any more than 10 minutes of the childishness. Haven't got a clue how anyone can watch grown people pretend they are aliens in those silly costumes and take it even the slightest bit seriously.

Probably because a lot of people actually think on other planets somewhere in our huge galaxy the potential for life actually exist, which means we can pretend the Aliens we see on the television are like Aliens that may be out there. Most people understand that to be false, any other living thing we find is space is very likely to be nothing like us at all. Also more people are inclined to believe an Alien that looks almost human is very believable as opposed to some 8 foot tall furry Wookie.

Schwa
05-15-2013, 02:50 AM
Probably because a lot of people actually think on other planets somewhere in our huge galaxy the potential for life actually exist, which means we can pretend the Aliens we see on the television are like Aliens that may be out there. Most people understand that to be false, any other living thing we find is space is very likely to be nothing like us at all. Also more people are inclined to believe an Alien that looks almost human is very believable as opposed to some 8 foot tall furry Wookie.

For aliens that actually act like aliens, I highly recommend Mars Attacks.

Intergalactic war because someone released a dove in peace.

Myria
05-15-2013, 03:54 AM
Great news for the show - the ratings were steady with Episode 2 for the third episode, which means no precipitous drop in viewership so far. A drop from episode 1 to 2 is expected. It gets more worrisome if you see more substantial drops from episode to episode from there on. But so far, so good:

Episode 1: DEFIANCE SYFY 9:00 PM 2.7 1.0
Episode 2: DEFIANCE SYFY 9:00 PM 2.4 0.8
Episode 3: DEFIANCE SYFY 9:00 PM 2.3 0.8

Note: First number is viewers in millions, the second number is the rating for the 18-49 demo.

Episode 4: Defiance SYFY 9:00PM 1.98 0.6 (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/05/14/monday-cable-ratings-nba-basketball-wins-night-love-hip-hop-atlanta-monday-night-raw-teen-mom-ii-bates-motel-more/)

Not a good trend.

alienoid
05-15-2013, 04:19 AM
Episode 4: Defiance SYFY 9:00PM 1.98 0.6 (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/05/14/monday-cable-ratings-nba-basketball-wins-night-love-hip-hop-atlanta-monday-night-raw-teen-mom-ii-bates-motel-more/)

Not a good trend.

Actually, your numbers are for Ep 5. Ep 4 was DEFIANCE SYFY 9:00 PM 2.15 0.8

cusman
05-15-2013, 05:42 AM
I am watching the show the day after on syfy.com

I watch it the day after on Hulu Plus

cusman
05-15-2013, 05:48 AM
I tried watching Dexter.

I have no flippin' clue how that series got a second season, much less still be going.

Dexter is awesome... and it has 12-13 episodes per season which makes for better more focused shows with less filler episodes that lose audiences. Defiance has filler episodes with sprinkles of meaningful things being shared... but eventually it will all be filler episodes once the "lore" of the series is adequately explored, the rest of it is not that interesting.

Combo Breaker
05-15-2013, 06:18 AM
I have enjoyed the show so far. Very few shows I have watched have had every episode be awesome. If you move to quick with the story you miss out on getting to know the characters.
I see it as it's a whole new world and they are slowly bringing us into it. Who's who. Whats what.
Not everything can be Firefly.

Myria
05-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Actually, your numbers are for Ep 5. Ep 4 was DEFIANCE SYFY 9:00 PM 2.15 0.8

Ah, thanks for the correction.

So we have (Episode #, viewers in millions, Adults 18-49 rating):

E01: 2.70 1.0
E02: 2.40 0.8
E03: 2.30 0.8
E04: 2.15 0.8
E05: 1.98 0.6

Zorlond
05-15-2013, 08:57 AM
The only problem with the series right now is they've got a bunch of storylines going at once and they've still got to sort out what to do with them all in a way the audience will understand.

Of course, the standard reaction to this approach by the average TV watcher is to abandon it and flip over to watch monster trucks with big hooters painted on the sides roll over things...

KOLZ
05-15-2013, 09:00 AM
No idea how strong it;'s holding now but after that stomach turning disgusting last few moments of episode 5 I am completely done with watching the show all together. The show was ok and was enjoying it enough to watching but ugh my stomach is still sick so I am done with the show but will definitely keep playing the game since it's fun.

Hope499
05-15-2013, 09:05 AM
HOW do ratings work?

does some machine somewhere record how many people are on that channel?

Is it somthing else?

If I HATE a show, and never watch it, will that hurt the show?

EXPLAIN PLZZZ

Defiance the show is MUCH better than i thought it would be tho :)

Conneri
05-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Not sure what ratings they are using but this is the classic of rating systems:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_ratings

RegularX
05-15-2013, 09:56 AM
It's a decent show. I'm a couple episodes behind due to travel (funny, the Rynn story missions might be the first time a game spoiled a tv show for me). It kinda has a Star Trek feel for me - slightly cheesy, but with some serious undertones and decent production values.

I just hope the show can keep up with its costs, which I can only imagine are considerable.

Vega Prime
05-15-2013, 10:04 AM
The show is boring as hell. It plays on my TV as background noise, because I would rather Syfy show that than some lame new "paranormal reality" show.

Pyrael
05-15-2013, 10:13 AM
No idea how strong it;'s holding now but after that stomach turning disgusting last few moments of episode 5 I am completely done with watching the show all together. The show was ok and was enjoying it enough to watching but ugh my stomach is still sick so I am done with the show but will definitely keep playing the game since it's fun.
stomach turning ??

Ryme
05-15-2013, 10:16 AM
The character interactions are interesting. The rest of the CG driven stories feel over the top and needlessly forced. I would go so far to say the show is suffering because of the elements included to keep it affiliated with the game. The whole thing would play out much better if they kept to the political and social intrigue, and stopped trying to cram in the occasional alien army and giant mutant insect.

Zorlond
05-15-2013, 10:56 AM

Stomach turning? What exactly was your issue with it? The near-nudity? Guy on girl? Or is your issue a black guy with a white girl?

Stonga
05-15-2013, 11:01 AM
They've almost lost a million viewers since the pilot but it currently got BSG amount of viewers so I wouldn't be to worried unless it drops under a million.

NightfallRob
05-15-2013, 11:07 AM
They have kept me interested so far!

This would be me as well.

SumMischief
05-15-2013, 11:10 AM
I buy them on Vudu ... I like to watch without any interruptions. Don't know how this effect ratings if any ....

mcwjimbo
05-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Ah, thanks for the correction.

So we have (Episode #, viewers in millions, Adults 18-49 rating):

negates the op's title

its a drip drip dropping that if it isn't staunched = bad news though the drop off for episode 5 does seem that the trend is slowing down. BUT the sample size is too small. when it hits episode 10 then the fate of defiance's ratings will be known

jonwes
05-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Actually, other than the last episode it's not so bad. The slow release of viewers isn't that bad if the second number (the demo) stays steady. To be honest, that's the one advertisers and Syfy care about the most. If things don't rebound after the last episode, that'd be a bad sign. But for now the "strong" thing stands.

T_Archangel
05-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Still liking the license as a whole. I watch each episode as it airs, then watch reruns I I happen to catch em.

T_Archangel
05-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Still liking the license as a whole. I watch each episode as it airs, then watch reruns if I happen to catch em.

Actright
05-16-2013, 07:38 PM
The show is Awesome! The game is bad

jonwes
05-22-2013, 09:40 PM
E06: 1.95 0.8

Still going strong, especially in the demo after a slight dip.