PDA

View Full Version : Name Change

Snap
05-01-2013, 01:44 PM
I think a good Idea for defiance store would be to have a name change option. We would have to buy bits in order to change our names to something else, because when I made my character I just gave it a name to play. Now I want a name that just sticks with me, but its just an idea that I have thought up.

crasher
05-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Some details to iron out:

What happens to the name when you leave it behind?

Does it become unavailable forever? Conceivably there could come a time when 5000 players use all the good names by changing so often that the only names left look like 'xxxzzyxxylph"

What about the 100's of people you pissed off all during the game? You change your name and they can't avoid you anymore?

What about the guy who picks your name after you leave it? Everybody who hated you now hates that new guy instead?

VonTreece
05-01-2013, 03:33 PM

Does it become unavailable forever? Conceivably there could come a time when 5000 players use all the good names by changing so often that the only names left look like 'xxxzzyxxylph"

What about the 100's of people you pissed off all during the game? You change your name and they can't avoid you anymore?

What about the guy who picks your name after you leave it? Everybody who hated you now hates that new guy instead?

They could add in a system where when a player "inspects" someone who has changed their name, it would display somewhere on the screen that they were previously known as >insert name here<.

duction
05-01-2013, 03:42 PM
When you delete the char the name becomes available again.

Assasino
05-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Great idea because when i first made my character i just used my PSN name and now would love to have something more unique but certainly do not want to re-start anytime soon

Jym
05-01-2013, 04:17 PM

It should not be available anymore, unless there becomes a reason to release old names back into the pool.

It would take a lot more than 5000 players to use up all forms of good/readable names. Plus you're making it sound as if people would constantly be willing to pay $10 (or w/e the cost would be) to change their name for the sake of ruining the game for newer players. That's far fetched. If it does end up happening, which it won't, they can re-release those old reserved names.

This is assuming you know that Trion took a stupid approach to determining who's ignoring who by using character names to map out relationships (friend or ignored). That can't be the case. I'm pretty sure they use account ID numbers that are unique, never change, and are never made viewable to players.

Only an issue if names are immediately made available again. It can be a problem though if the new guy has the same exact voice as the old guy?

RegularX
05-01-2013, 04:19 PM

No offense, but sometimes it is easy to overthink requirements/features. In order of your questions:

1) It's no longer yours. It's up for grabs.

2) It's available instantly

3) They can still hunt you down by your username and .... uh, I dunno? Say mean things? In Chat? Seriously, there is so little ability to grief in this game who has a 100 people after them?

4) Unlikely.