PDA

View Full Version : If they Implemented 1/4 of the additions proposed, how long do you think....

EvilOps
05-01-2013, 03:29 PM
it would take for it to all actually work? Say Open world PVP, and Action House, Mail, Raids and Crafting were introduced into the game, How long do you think it would take to:

A) get those into the game on all 3 platforms

B) have them working with at least an 85% success rate

im going for over 12 months based on other platform MMOs and other games in recent memory that have tried to add things that weren't originally planned. (or were they :)

Arsenic_Touch
05-01-2013, 03:34 PM
That list would take them a decade, give or take. So those additions you listed would probably take a year or more.

Clarkeh
05-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Auction House and Mail system would torpedo the game, trust me on this. The rest can be done inside of a year if they skipped the sideshows (hellbug month etc)

Jym
05-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Text chat was broken in the beta, and still broken on release day, and still broken now. And there's still plenty of significant issues like weapons getting lost, freezing and disconnecting randomly etc. How much faith could someone realistically have in them rolling out even a portion of that laundry list of new ideas in a timely fashion?

Booshy
05-01-2013, 04:38 PM
it would take for it to all actually work? Say Open world PVP, and Action House, Mail, Raids and Crafting were introduced into the game, How long do you think it would take to:

im going for over 12 months based on other platform MMOs and other games in recent memory that have tried to add things that weren't originally planned. (or were they :)

Considering their current rate of work and progress, maybe a decade. It's been 3 weeks since the last patch and when I looked at the patch notes posted today I laughed at how minimal there was done in that length of time.

EvilOps
05-01-2013, 08:45 PM
What do you think they could feasibly get into the game this year (with bugs worked out)? Raids maybe?

Also do you think they are understaffed or is it working on three platforms is splitting their resources so thin?

Era
05-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Have you ever seen someone "wipe a harddrive" with thermite? About as long as it would take to recover that data.

Wrenito
05-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Honestly, their inability to fix any of the major bugs, you can throw any meaningful DLC/content out the window.

Sanguinesun
05-01-2013, 10:10 PM

Given 5 months yet for push to talk for voice from complaints in alpha, Im gonna side with something closer to hell freezing over.

Defy
05-01-2013, 10:36 PM
I think bank/storage would be relatively easy to implement compared to other features

Fiancee
05-01-2013, 10:40 PM
I really think all 5 DCLs are coming this year and they start season 2 with an expansion. Ask yourself what you're gonna play? Competition in this genre is almost nonexistent so devs can throw **** at us.

Bopbarker
05-01-2013, 10:48 PM
I remember Oveur said in the Q&A on Raptr that they already have the next 18 months planned out. I wouldn't expect any of those things anytime soon.

EvilOps
05-02-2013, 01:15 AM
well, if that truly is the case i feel a tad mislead (though it is "let the buyer beware") and I'll be playing (insert PC MMO) before any meaningful changes surface.

On a side note: in a year, if this gave becomes something closer to an MMO than a Single player RPG with online elements....would you invest more time in it? I'm on the fence about this one. If i devote time, id like to think there will be content for a while to hold me over...almost like an mmo.

Thoughts?

Viryu
05-02-2013, 01:22 AM
I don't expect it all to appear this year. It would restore my faith in them if it was all done within a month of being announced, but I don't believe in miracles.

Schwa
05-02-2013, 01:31 AM
Considering how it's debatable the game has even launched yet, and taking into account the time it's taken to get the second game-crippling bug-squash patch out, also taking into consideration the fact it's been a month and we're two weeks past due information on DLC (was originally planned to coincide with the TV premiere) I'm not entirely sure if I'll ever see the game to the market standard of completion for either TPS or MMO.

I'd love Trion to prove me wrong in this, of course, but the progress since alpha has been... glacial. If that.

EvilOps
05-02-2013, 01:41 AM
I ask because i have friends that are asking my opinion. Collectively there doesn't seem to be much optimism. Then again objectively, this game has fallen short in almost every area shy of communication though saying and doing (a month later) is hardly going to win hearts and minds.

My advise has been to my friends....its a good single player game but don't buy into the MMO or TV crossover hype..it's just not there.

I think that's an accurate description so far.

Bopbarker
05-02-2013, 01:44 AM
well, if that truly is the case i feel a tad mislead (though it is "let the buyer beware") and I'll be playing (insert PC MMO) before any meaningful changes surface.

On a side note: in a year, if this gave becomes something closer to an MMO than a Single player RPG with online elements....would you invest more time in it? I'm on the fence about this one. If i devote time, id like to think there will be content for a while to hold me over...almost like an mmo.

Thoughts?

You should not feel misled.

From the blog post that Oveur made covering all the feedback from the players that they are going over...

We have goals for Defiance, we have direction, and we have an identity for what Defiance is. These evolve over time, are implemented and then we gather feedback. Feedback can both affect direction and goals before we implement anything, or it is feedback on something that already exists in Defiance.

Does that mean we act on everything that we get through feedback? No. We process it and take it into consideration but it doesn’t mean it’s in line with what’s best for the game. (See also previous point on direction and identity.)So why discuss this now? I felt it relevant since we’re revising our development plans this week!

None of those things are promised but they are looking at it. I will make one point from the Raptr Q&A, more clan content is coming.

...Clan progression, Clan warfare and shared benefits (banks, bases, boosts, spandex wardrobe).

You should go read Taaltos post here.
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?42431-Raptr-Q-amp-A-Here-s-some-questions-and-answers-from-the-Defiance-team.
He did a great job breaking everything down. There are a lot of great things mentioned and hinted at.

Sdb616
05-02-2013, 01:45 AM
I think bank/storage would be relatively easy to implement compared to other features

Agreed but since they charge bits for character bound inventory slot purchases... I have my doubts it will be more than a wish list filler.

EvilOps
05-02-2013, 01:47 AM
You should not feel misled.

From the blog post that Oveur made covering all the feedback from the players that they are going over...

None of those things are promised but they are looking at it. I will make one point from the Raptr Q&A, more clan content is coming.

You should go read Taaltos post here.
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?42431-Raptr-Q-amp-A-Here-s-some-questions-and-answers-from-the-Defiance-team.
He did a great job breaking everything down. There are a lot of great things mentioned and hinted at.

All excellent ideas but without an eta... or a remote circa..they aren't very inspiring.

Bopbarker
05-02-2013, 01:59 AM
Considering how it's debatable the game has even launched yet, and taking into account the time it's taken to get the second game-crippling bug-squash patch out, also taking into consideration the fact it's been a month and we're two weeks past due information on DLC (was originally planned to coincide with the TV premiere) I'm not entirely sure if I'll ever see the game to the market standard of completion for either TPS or MMO.

I'd love Trion to prove me wrong in this, of course, but the progress since alpha has been... glacial. If that.

I don't expect to see a true DLC till July or shortly after. Seems like they are building a story with the TV show and there will be very little tie in with the game as of right now. It has been said that the game and show will tie together a lot more when Season 2 hits. I take this as the game story we get during the off season from DLC will impact the story in the show when it returns.

Personally I would hate to get the free/paid DLC now. I want game story to progress when the show is not airing. If they gave us in game story now while the show is going, to please people, those same people that are complaining now will complain that they gave us everything all at once and trash TRION for being stagnant during the shows off season.

I say just wait and see what they do. They could surprise us all.

Bopbarker
05-02-2013, 02:05 AM
All excellent ideas but without an eta... or a remote circa..they aren't very inspiring.

They might be incorporating these ideas with story (in theory). Which could explain the vagueness on some of the stuff mentioned. If they were to give it all away now, it could potentially ruin the story.

If I was told early on in Star Trek:TNG that Picard would get turned into a Borg I would be pissed. We have to remember that this is also a TV show and they cannot spoil anything. I think they have a plan, and it will unfold as time goes on.

EvilOps
05-02-2013, 02:06 AM
I say just wait and see what they do. They could surprise us all.

I truly hope you're right though I've heard these sentiments on other boards. SWTOR, TERA, AION, Tabula Rasa, Secret World, AOC, Star Trek, DCUO, GW2 and the Rift Boards aren't as friendly as I remember at launch as of recently.

I guess I just have a lot of memories of wanting games to sort themselves, rationalizing reason as to why they haven't and ultimately telling myself they were going to get better....boats can only hold so much water though before the captain looks for a lifeboat.

Bopbarker
05-02-2013, 02:16 AM
I completely feel you on that Evil. TRION and SYFY are doing something nobody else has done, I'm sure there is a method to their madness.

These forums are like any MMO forum and full of negativity. I am frustrated with some things in the game, but I try to add some optimism when I can around the community (even though a lot of people don't want to hear it).

EvilOps
05-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Though in short supply...contrast is always needed.

thejx4
05-02-2013, 02:27 PM
2 and a half years for everything on that list, and a year and a half to have everything working without major issues. But, all of those ideas aren't great, and probably won't be implemented, so I'd say the by the end of next year, most of the major suggestions will probably be implemented. May or may not roll out slower, due to development of the next-gen versions, which are inevitably on their way.

krayzgates
05-02-2013, 02:31 PM
there prolly wont be open world PvP..thats what Shadow War is for...they wanna keep it fun for ppl that dont like PvP...and a PvP server?,,,like they dont have enough problems with the regular ones....heh

EvilOps
05-02-2013, 05:47 PM
there prolly wont be open world PvP..thats what Shadow War is for...they wanna keep it fun for ppl that dont like PvP...and a PvP server?,,,like they dont have enough problems with the regular ones....heh

The dev post stated specifically

"Open World PvP:
Specific zones that are “contested” or similar, in which have the option to become flagged for PvP against any players in that region who aren’t grouped with you or in your clan. Duels, w/ option to bet scrip/resources/items on duel (not required)"

As this is touted as a new feature and static to an area...the vision is expressly more than Shadow Wars.