PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else noticed that the Bay Bridge jumped Yerba Buena Island?

Kela
05-02-2013, 12:05 AM
The ruins of the Bay Bridge in game are if reconstructed the Section of the bridge that runs from Yerba Buena Island (Dark Matter Stronghold in game), to the Causeway Span of the Bay Bridge running to Oakland, in other words it should be on the Far Side of the Stronghold and not connecting to San Francisco.

The Bridge(actually 2 bridges) that connect San Francisco to that island is a Double Decker Suspension bridge, much like The Golden Gate. It is actually two bridges because halfway across the crossing they built an anchorage for both halfs of that span and the two are joined at that point, that is what that big concrete block is.

This is the bridge that will go east (to Oakland) from Yerba Buena starting this fall:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/p480x480/526896_10151213732693369_468178275_n.jpg

These are pics of the Bridge that goes west from Yerba Buena to San Francisco:

http://cdn1.images.touristlink.com/data/cache/B/A/Y/B/R/I/D/G/bay-bridge-to-san-francisco_700_0.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6155/6190673293_dfe7f3cab2_z.jpg

The importaint thing to note is that the first picture shows a bridge with side by side decks around a central tower(like in game), while the second two show a double deck bridge that runs through the towers, which is the bridge to San Francisco.

Harsk
05-02-2013, 03:30 AM
Point for accuracy.

Schwa
05-02-2013, 03:35 AM
Because teraforming. And videogames.

MacDeath
05-02-2013, 04:04 AM
I was living in the East Bay in 1989 when the Loma P quake did some real world teraforming. The span between Oakland and YB was broken and out of service. I was amazed at how quickly it was repaired and put back in service.

Kreegan
05-02-2013, 05:43 AM
I was living in the East Bay in 1989 when the Loma P quake did some real world teraforming. The span between Oakland and YB was broken and out of service. I was amazed at how quickly it was repaired and put back in service.

I was there...

I'd just gotten back to the building where I worked from a management meeting for one of the development programs when the quake hit. The building where I worked (near SJ Int'l airport) was one of the newer facilities built on "rollers" to absorb the shock of quakes. It seemed like five minutes before the building quit rocking, the dampners taking their sweetass time...

Three of us (inclusive of one fat guy) tried to cram into one doorway; that was almost funny.

Besides the loss of life, traffic in the Bay area was impacted for a very long time... and it was already bad before the quake.

MacDeath
05-02-2013, 06:31 AM
I was there...

I'd just gotten back to the building where I worked from a management meeting for one of the development programs when the quake hit. The building where I worked (near SJ Int'l airport) was one of the newer facilities built on "rollers" to absorb the shock of quakes. It seemed like five minutes before the building quit rocking, the dampners taking their sweetass time...

Three of us (inclusive of one fat guy) tried to cram into one doorway; that was almost funny.

Besides the loss of life, traffic in the Bay area was impacted for a very long time... and it was already bad before the quake.

Bay Area traffic is still quite bad. I was back there at the End of January this year and it's even worse than it was in the 80s and 90s. I first went to the Silicon Valley in 1967. That was so long ago that it was still called the Santa Clara Valley back then. :)

Every year traffic in the Bay Area got worse. Even though more freeways were being built and more lanes were added to existing freeways AND BART was added... Nothing could keep up with the population growth. It's a great place to live (except for the traffic) so people keep moving there faster that road construction can keep up.

Swampster
05-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Something else to consider... the Art Deco Fašade of the Sutro baths is in reality no longer standing, yet here some 30 odd years later after an apocalyptic event there it is! :)

Thr0nes
05-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Makes you wonder what the scrappers are doing there. Pretty sure scrappers are the repair IA from the arks.

As far as the bay bridge, I think it collapses before treasure island. So no treasure island, no Yerba Buena island.

Oh and traffic in the Bay Area is a matter of being in the right place and right time, i.e. Dont try to leave/enter the city between 3pm-5pm on a Friday....

Kreegan
05-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Makes you wonder what the scrappers are doing there. Pretty sure scrappers are the repair IA from the arks.

As far as the bay bridge, I think it collapses before treasure island. So no treasure island, no Yerba Buena island.

Oh and traffic in the Bay Area is a matter of being in the right place and right time, i.e. Dont try to leave/enter the city between 3pm-5pm on a Friday....

I left in '99. My 22-mile commute took me 22 minutes when I first moved there (down 17, which later became 880); it was taking me over two hours (each way) when I left... which meant I had no time left for actually living outside of work.

Salaries were great (especially for tech management types like me) on paper, but the cost of living was absurd (for instance, my current house - in central Texas - cost half as much as I sold my place for back then, but is twice the size). The weather was wonderful, but you never had an opportunity to enjoy it because you were always either working or commuting. For every person working, there were two people on welfare and three municipal civil servants making twice the salary you were while working half as hard, so taxes were ridiculous.

Man does not live by weather alone... I spent fifteen years in Silicon Valley, but I'll never go back. It is truly the land of fruits and nuts.

All that aside, I don't think the game captures the layout of the terrain very well; even with terraforming, there should be some consistency with the real terrain and there doesn't appear to be.

ironhands
05-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Because teraforming. And videogames.

also +30 years, it may have been altered after damage or to increase traffic flow.

Or maybe because who cares.

Razer
05-02-2013, 09:21 PM
No, but i have noticed something odd about the placement of Nob Hill and Chinatown, can anyone confirm?