PDA

View Full Version : Since they share the same engine, could we see some RIFT stuff end up in Defiance?

Squiddy
05-02-2013, 02:29 AM
I'm not talking about straight up races/mobs like the new hellbug rifts in RIFT, but technology/features cross-over.

Just a quick list of RIFT features that I think should be in (and would work in) Defiance:

Auction house
Barber
"Dimension"-esque housing for players and clan (only instead of a dimension, it would be a dinky apartment in Shondu's consulate or a clan Stratocarrier as suggested in the suggestions forum)
"Invasions" - where enemies spawn and move to attack outposts an such rather than being localized to an arkfall.
Companion app (roll for free stuff!)
Emotes! - should be easy to just move over the animation, maybe re-rig them for Defiance character models.

Anything else currently implemented in RIFT that you think could work in Defiance?

AssKicka
05-02-2013, 03:09 AM
Supported! all games need a bit of fluff, even Defiance.

My own little apartment where I can hang my Guns for nostalgic purposes would be great; "See this one I killed my first hell bug with, and this one here is what I got my first PvP kill with, yeah its a fully automatic shotgun lol"

Defy
05-02-2013, 03:12 AM
yeah those features would be cool

Schwa
05-02-2013, 03:13 AM
I don't want to see anything copy/pasted. I want anything moved between the two separate products adjusted and re-purposed to the new setting and mechanics. Barber, for example, would be much more interesting as a maniac living in a shack near the Transit Depot. With sharpened fanblades as his choice of cutting-tool. Use a raider character model.

As for housing, my character looks like he'd live out of his runner. And he'd have at least 30 guns stuffed in that runner. No, he does not need a shower.

If he could decorate that runner, he'd steal a pow skull from a raider's truck and slap that on there.

I like raiders.

MacDeath
05-02-2013, 03:44 AM
I don't want to see anything copy/pasted. I want anything moved between the two separate products adjusted and re-purposed to the new setting and mechanics. Barber, for example, would be much more interesting as a maniac living in a shack near the Transit Depot. With sharpened fanblades as his choice of cutting-tool. Use a raider character model.

As for housing, my character looks like he'd live out of his runner. And he'd have at least 30 guns stuffed in that runner. No, he does not need a shower.

If he could decorate that runner, he'd steal a pow skull from a raider's truck and slap that on there.

I like raiders.
I'm a big Raider fan too. I was quite disappointed when they moved to LA. It was a great day in the East Bay when they returned home! Yes, I was a PSL holder.

Thunderclap
05-02-2013, 03:51 AM
You all do realize that this is a persistent world and if you get a house, it is accessible to everyone? All this takes extra code that isn't used for Bug crushing, episodes etc. Personally, edit the challenger so its stays rezzed longer before you drive allowing you to use the trunk. And remember, the devs think this is a shooter first. Until the lions-share of the console people bail this will remain. (why console? Name me one MMORPG or MMO on a console other than this on Minecraft [which a coworker says he can play on his xbox]) Are there houses in shooters? No.

r3dl4nce
05-02-2013, 04:02 AM
Invasions starting from the Arkfall, just like invasions from Rift, could be nice, but how to put them in lore? Arkfalls are pieces of arks crashed from the orbit to the ground... It's space debris. Hellbugs (for the gulanite), raiders, 99ers are attracted to them... So I think invasion should be nice, but how to put them in lore?

Thunderclap
05-02-2013, 04:07 AM
Invasions starting from the Arkfall, just like invasions from Rift, could be nice, but how to put them in lore? Arkfalls are pieces of arks crashed from the orbit to the ground... It's space debris. Hellbugs (for the gulanite), raiders, 99ers are attracted to them... So I think invasion should be nice, but how to put them in lore?

Find me an arkfall that has an actual piece of ark that we the gamers can salvage and I will buy you bits. How about we not borrow Rift stuff from Defiance. How about we Pollute Rift with Defiance stuff?

Garu
05-02-2013, 04:15 AM
You all do realize that this is a persistent world and if you get a house, it is accessible to everyone? All this takes extra code that isn't used for Bug crushing, episodes etc. Personally, edit the challenger so its stays rezzed longer before you drive allowing you to use the trunk. And remember, the devs think this is a shooter first. Until the lions-share of the console people bail this will remain. (why console? Name me one MMORPG or MMO on a console other than this on Minecraft [which a coworker says he can play on his xbox]) Are there houses in shooters? No.

DC Universe and final fantasy.

Psio
05-02-2013, 04:21 AM
Uh, they use the same game engine? Doesn't feel like they do...
And EQ:OA ran over nine years as a PS2 game.

P.

Bopbarker
05-02-2013, 04:26 AM

Yep! FFXI had player housing too.

Thunderclap
05-02-2013, 04:30 AM
Got me on DCU. I assumed FF was dead online I was wrong. So while you are correct, I notice things. Both are from companies who make and have made RPGs for years (square enix & SOE) Both are free to play. (DCU seems you buy upgardes but I didn't dig too far) Both have multiple shards, multiple character assignments and all the stuff that lends its self to being a RPG.
Defiance is similar to Halo or mass effect but on a persistent world. I would sooner expect Halo to produce a MMORPG then this to turn into one. I know we all assumed it would be by the advertisements. Thats why I believe the marketing team needs to be beaten with staves like in Singapore. They seriously lied and still do.

Garu
05-02-2013, 04:39 AM
Got me on DCU. I assumed FF was dead online I was wrong. So while you are correct, I notice things. Both are from companies who make and have made RPGs for years (square enix & SOE) Both are free to play. (DCU seems you buy upgardes but I didn't dig too far) Both have multiple shards, multiple character assignments and all the stuff that lends its self to being a RPG.
Defiance is similar to Halo or mass effect but on a persistent world. I would sooner expect Halo to produce a MMORPG then this to turn into one. I know we all assumed it would be by the advertisements. Thats why I believe the marketing team needs to be beaten with staves like in Singapore. They seriously lied and still do.

Just a few points, Both games originally had a buy the box and pay monthly fee originally i know i paid for both. Also SOE has made more shooters than Trion has lol so in that regard using your own argument, wouldn't that mean that Trion are making a rpg as that is what there known for? Also they specifically advertised that this was a MMORPG my internet is being annoying and wont let me visit there main page to get the quote but you can go there to find it. Also using mass effect as an example of what a RPG isn't doesn't help you, true it had a lot of changers from 1-3 but at its core was still a RPG much more than defiance is an RPG.

Also lol check out Destiny its the kind of MMORPG being developed by bungee the guys that brought you halo.

VanValdenburg
05-02-2013, 04:50 AM
Who evers said that they use same engine?

They dont have the same developer team only the publisher is the same, so why should it be the same engine?
Also this game is totally different, its a pixel perfect shooter and rift is based on a traditional MMO system.

Pls enlighten me!

IGears
05-02-2013, 05:12 AM
Also lol check out Destiny its the kind of MMORPG being developed by bungee the guys that brought you halo.

Why are people calling Destiny a MMORPG when the Developers dont even call it that... "shared world First Person Shooter"

Who evers said that they use same engine?

They dont have the same developer team only the publisher is the same, so why should it be the same engine?
Also this game is totally different, its a pixel perfect shooter and rift is based on a traditional MMO system.

Pls enlighten me!

yes, i want to know this as well. how are they using the same engine?

Viryu
05-02-2013, 05:14 AM
I was about to suggest an NPC for changing haircut as well. I'm quite tired with my current choice >.>

Squiddy
05-02-2013, 08:09 AM

Well, we've seen one example of an invasion on the TV-show, and it's mentioned all the time that raiders (there's a hint in the name) raid farms/outposts/etc :p

istrikeanywhere
05-02-2013, 08:30 AM
keep rift out of defiance, that game is just as scarce as this one!

Tgreen
05-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Invasion type emergencies with markes on the map, tons of mobs and actual rewards would be pretty nice.
Maybe not unlike the story mission where you defend Headlands Transit.

Swampster
05-02-2013, 08:39 AM
I don't think they've ever actually said what engine they're using for Defiance, they use Havok for physics and some animation I think, but that's not the core engine.

If I had to guess I would have said it was the same engine based on Gamebryo if memory serves correctly, maybe with some modification.. just going on the assumption that they probably had licensing agreements in place, it's limited to DX9 like Rift, and no in game adjustments to things like anti aliasing etc. Yeah I know Rift can turn basically turn AA on or off... though that might have changed a bit since I last played Rift.