PDA

View Full Version : completley free to play

bobinsen
05-02-2013, 11:21 AM
i think this game would do alot better if it when completley free to play, as in no up front charge. it would bring in alot more players and trion could just keep there MT store to make money.
so if u guys where given some complementry bits because you bought the game, would you be ok with it going completley free to play.

sorry for the bad spelling im a crappy typer.

MonsieurBacon
05-02-2013, 11:28 AM
And what about the money we spent already, some more useless outfits and crappy titles!!?

ironhands
05-02-2013, 11:30 AM
i think this game would do alot better if it when completley free to play, as in no up front charge. it would bring in alot more players and trion could just keep there MT store to make money.
so if u guys where given some complementry bits because you bought the game, would you be ok with it going completley free to play.

completely f2p games have lower development costs and a higher demand on the cash shops for recouping the original investment and keeping new content and maintenance happening.

defiance can't go f2p until, at the very minimum, the initial investment costs are recovered, hopefully with some profit. the people that made the game would likely rather get a paycheck

baelrusk
05-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Well of course it would have been better if it had been that way. Then there wouldn't be as many people who feel cheated for buying a bugged game.

bobinsen
05-02-2013, 11:32 AM
And what about the money we spent already, some more useless outfits and crappy titles!!?

it would be better then nothing i already feel like im playing a free to play game.

cerberouse
05-02-2013, 11:33 AM
That sounds like a death kneel to me, i like that it's a full price game, not o mention it's on consols as well, what do you say to THEM?

Ryme
No. The game's lack of any semblance of online security or moderation would kill it instantly. The Buy2Play model actually works as a filter to keep out the general population of hackers, griefers, and scammers. You think people complain about hacks now? Just imagine how bad it will get if even the threat of the banhammer is gone, since you could just make another free account.

alpharougewarx

they said if it was f2p i would have a monthly supscrip fee. sooo no

Clown
05-02-2013, 11:39 AM
The marketplace as it stands will not be able to support defiance even as a free-to-play game. The only thing people might constantly buy are boosts. A costume here or there and maybe that new truck but it won't work. The costumes can be obtained in-game just as a different color so what's the point?

Defiance needs to stay Buy-to-play and change up their marketplace approach for everyones sake. Lower the price but make new costumes exclusive to the marketplace that can't be gotten anywhere else. Remove the ones already in there so it doesn't make harder costumes in-game seem pointless. Apply this to anything else in the marketplace that would work.

Oh, the tier boxes. Keep them in-game only and remove them from the marketplace. Add in a different sort of lockbox to the market place that isn't in-game that might have a higher chance of getting better weapons or something along those lines.

I suppose I should end it with, Defiance only needs to change their marketplace if they want to survive long. It might sound silly but I think they would do better this way as opposed to going completely free to play.

ironhands
05-02-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm still holding out that the DLC will keep things going, both the free and paid variants.

Defy
05-02-2013, 11:52 AM
completely f2p games usually arent that great

squidgod2000
05-02-2013, 11:56 AM
F2P is just a bad business model for the vast majority of games for the simple reason that the business model directly impacts the game design and development, even for AAA games (Neverwinter is a great example of this). Subs for MMOs aren't going anywhere, but will remain niche. B2P is where it's at. Box sales and DLC pay the cost of development and the cash shop pays the cost of ongoing maintenance and support, both with some profit mixed in, of course.

bobinsen
05-02-2013, 12:01 PM
wow some good opinions, i didnt think about the amount of hackers it might bring in.
im just worried that if the dlc turns out to b another 2 days of content lots of players might leave and never come back.

ironhands
05-02-2013, 12:06 PM
completely f2p games usually arent that great

not unless they have massive support backing them. Planetside 2 and Dust514 I'd put on the upper end for sure. Firefall, unfinished but ok. The rest...they just lack a lot of substance

squidgod2000
05-02-2013, 12:07 PM
wow some good opinions, i didnt think about the amount of hackers it might bring in.
im just worried that if the dlc turns out to b another 2 days of content lots of players might leave and never come back.

They've already teased the DLC and future updates in commercials for the game (and possibly the show). Looks like continuing story missions and maps (and a maybe weapon testing room at some point)

MacDeath
If/when this game goes F2P. I am out. B2P games have SOME sense of community.

ironhands

if they don't, they're wasting their initial purchase, since they're just not taking advantage of free content. the $60 you paid isn't for the content you have, it's for what you have today, and get next month, and the next month.

Ryme
05-02-2013, 12:12 PM
not unless they have massive support backing them. Planetside 2 and Dust514 I'd put on the upper end for sure. Firefall, unfinished but ok. The rest...they just lack a lot of substance

Firefall has a great development team. If they were any more involved with their community, you'd question if they were getting any work done. That said, I have my doubts about the direction of the game in general. It is starting to feel somewhat restrictive and less fun.

ironhands
05-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Firefall has a great development team. If they were any more involved with their community, you'd question if they were getting any work done. That said, I have my doubts about the direction of the game in general. It is starting to feel somewhat restrictive and less fun.

Yes, they certainly do but the game is definitely unfinished, and won't be for a long time. Didn't they just scrub the entire xp / leveling system a month ago?

Defy
05-02-2013, 12:15 PM
F2P usually means P2W (Pay to Win)

OldDirtyGamer
05-02-2013, 12:17 PM
I think that their stake holding partners (SyFy, NBCUniversal, Dodge) may have turned their noses up at the F2P concept because they would see less return on their investment that way. The game is barely 1 month live and people are already giving up on it. Fortunately the developer and publisher have more say in what actually goes on as if it were left to the cynical people on these forums, this game (and many, many others) would have long since been killed off.

As is, the developer and publishing teams have had a very steep learning curve -- after all, no plan remains intact after first contact with the enemy. They've had to learn as they go in terms of what their technology will allow them to do and what limitations working across three platforms will restrict them to being able to do. I do not believe their team is all that big (maybe a dozen people at the most since the game has launched) and so they are limited in the number of fixes they can tackle at one time. Also, because they don't get proper reporting from the community (all I ever see is whining but no "I did this and this other thing happened" type of stuff), the bug hunt for cause means that fixes come at an even slower rate because they have to find it first, replicate it a few times, and then figure out what the actual cause was so they can then fix it. If they received more detailed information from us as players, they'd isolate and fix things much faster.

All things considered, I've played games in a much worse condition and while this isn't on my "must-play" list of games that I log into daily, I am committed to playing through it to see where it goes. Sure, I've invested my money into the game but, like any long-term investment, I need to let some time go by before I make a final determination on whether the $60 was worth it or not. That will determine if I spend any other monies on anything that Trion Worlds publishes...

Orge Lambart
05-02-2013, 12:20 PM

then it wouldn't be F2p, it would be a subscription based model.

krazyx86
05-02-2013, 12:20 PM

You don't understand what f2p is, do you? FREE to play, not pay to play..