PDA

View Full Version : Hard mode loot should be unique.

Tgreen
05-02-2013, 01:08 PM
There have been many threads that contained thoughts on loot tables, quantitive adjustments to rewards and other things.

But why not have something special drop that can be very valuable while adding no power at all?
Something that cannot even be equiped as an item in any loadout and can be freely traded to potentially become a valuable resource for everyone.

The bright idea here is a consumable or rather two variations that follow the same idea.

Both could be enhancements for the salvage matrix.
The item either resets the weapon experience to zero or (for less common version) would treat the item as if it was just spawned into existence, giving it a whole new set of random stats.
Both items - being consumables - are destroyed in the process, which should go without saying.

I would think this gives more than enough incentive to try and complete any content no matter how ridiculously hard it might be and yet cannot be used to gain advantage directly.
While at the very same time a rather unpleasant experience of having your perfect items ruined by useless level up stats can be dealt with by anyone who either has the scrip or other valuables or the ability to get the 'weapon respec' items themselves.
And don't tell me you prefer your pistol to have +15% damage against vehicles!

To have the possibility to combat the cruel gods of randomness in this game, while leaving lockboxes the only way to get those your oranges, would make everyone happy.

ps: I could fully understand if this idea was brought up somewhere either in context with coops or an entirely different one, if this in fact is true I apologize for not noticing.

Daholic
05-02-2013, 01:13 PM
There have been many threads that contained thoughts on loot tables, quantitive adjustments to rewards and other things.

But why not have something special drop that can be very valuable while adding no power at all?
Something that cannot even be equiped as an item in any loadout and can be freely traded to potentially become a valuable resource for everyone.

The bright idea here is a consumable or rather two variations that follow the same idea.

Both could be enhancements for the salvage matrix.
The item either resets the weapon experience to zero or (for less common version) would treat the item as if it was just spawned into existence, giving it a whole new set of random stats.
Both items - being consumables - are destroyed in the process, which should go without saying.

I would think this gives more than enough incentive to try and complete any content no matter how ridiculously hard it might be and yet cannot be used to gain advantage directly.
While at the very same time a rather unpleasant experience of having your perfect items ruined by useless level up stats can be dealt with by anyone who either has the scrip or other valuables or the ability to get the 'weapon respec' items themselves.
And don't tell me you prefer your pistol to have +15% damage against vehicles!

To have the possibility to combat the cruel gods of randomness in this game, while leaving lockboxes the only way to get those your oranges, would make everyone happy.

ps: I could fully understand if this idea was brought up somewhere either in context with coops or an entirely different one, if this in fact is true I apologize for not noticing.

Players in Defiance do not wants a gear grind, even the hint of it makes them nervous. Isnt it much better to farm keys and press your luck in a lock box, then actually farm your own loot from a boss?

Jack Johnson
05-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Path of Exile had an entire economy devoted to the exchange of orbs that could reroll or add stats, rather than a medium of exchange without inherent value.

Weapon XP resets, full item rerolls, increasing the tier of an item, nano effect rerolls, etc. The list goes on.

Players in Defiance do not wants a gear grind, even the hint of it makes them nervous. Isnt it much better to farm keys and press your luck in a lock box, then actually farm your own loot from a boss?

Clearly did not read the OP. Try again.

DJTrig
05-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Sounds like a cool idea,i really wish bosses had unique weapons (looks/effects not stats) though.

Tgreen
05-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Tier of an item would probably go a bit to far, since it is supposed to be an item hard to get, but yes, PoE is not the only game that has something to alter items ... *cough* reforging *cough* would be just another example.

Keys from a boss vs loot directy from a boss. No difference. A loot table would be an option and valid in it's own right, but this topic is really not about that, it is to discuss how far you could go to introduce consumables to reward players for effort instead of inciting jealousy with shiny epix.

Clearly did not read the OP. Try again.

Quoted the whole thing instead I guess. ;>

ps: 'players in Defiance' has a bad ring when you use it on something that you cannot assume to be true.

Jack Johnson
05-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Tier of an item would probably go a bit to far, since it is supposed to be an item hard to get, but yes, PoE is not the only game that has something to alter items ... *cough* reforging *cough* would be just another example.

Perhaps. Getting a legendary drop that could make an epic into legendary could be a little too powerful, since getting a great epic is significantly easier than getting a great legendary, so if the drop rate were too high it could totally break the hunt for regular legendaries.

Reforging is different than any of this though. An epic that is reforged is completely different than anything else you could get since stat spreads aren't random in WoW. You should be able to get exactly what you want without orbs, otherwise you force players into doing hard modes.

crasher
05-02-2013, 03:13 PM
I don't want anything that doesn't shoot more/better/bigger than what I already gots.