PDA

View Full Version : Paid DLC

Treadjr
05-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Here is my opinion on the first paid DLC. I really think that the first paid DLC should be free due to the fact that this game has been buggy as can be. I personally have been screwed on multiple occasions where they reset after I have put many and many hours into the game and had to redo everything again and again. Well that is my opinion and was wondering what others thought.

baelrusk
05-02-2013, 01:59 PM
But then the people who bought the season pass would be out of luck because they already bought the package that includes it.

ironhands
05-02-2013, 01:59 PM
it's already got a lot of free content. I paid for the DLC, why should everyone get it for free when I paid for it?

Thr0nes
05-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Nope. XP boosts, a bit more transparency (test server notes), and an overhaul of the cash shop to make it more in-line with reality, would all be welcomed as a reparation for these tough times.

Making DLC Free is taking dinner off the table for our Devs. Bugs and content are only made possible by happy Devs pounding away at their clicky keyboards and whistling Code Monkey.

Treadjr
05-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Like I said its my opinion and I really think they screwed up bad enough that they really need to make it up to everyone that purchased the game.

ironhands
05-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Like I said its my opinion and I really think they screwed up bad enough that they really need to make it up to everyone that purchased the game.

they likely will, as they did a few weeks ago, but giving everyone the DLC for free, that myself and many others paid for, is asking a lot.

Treadjr
05-02-2013, 02:06 PM
its just 1 dlc you can get next 5 after lol

ironhands
05-02-2013, 02:07 PM

so I have to wait even longer to get what I paid for?

Treadjr
05-02-2013, 02:10 PM
well if the first one was free you wouldn't have paid for it

IGears
05-02-2013, 02:11 PM

you are dumb for thinking this... but is that my opinion or fact?

Treadjr
05-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Im not the only one thinking about this there are hundreds of others that are was even brought up during a few streamers from twitch

crasher
05-02-2013, 02:14 PM
I want a coupon for milk-n-cookies, and a handwritten apology from Sledgehammer.

Treadjr
05-02-2013, 02:14 PM
I would take that

Keydric
05-02-2013, 02:15 PM

Except many of us have already paid for it in our season pass. I understand your entitled to your opinion. In my opinion, throughout the many MMO I have been in at launch, this isn't so bad. This is all pretty typical for a new MMO's first month, and that's just when its on PC only.

Pyth
05-02-2013, 02:17 PM
And how does that work for those who have purchased the Season Pass?

They purchased it ahead of time to save money on that content. If everyone is given the first DLC free, then what was the point of them doing that? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for free stuff. But that's unfair to those who are early adopters of the paid add-ons with this game.

Besides, this will never happen.

IGears
05-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Im not the only one thinking about this there are hundreds of others that are was even brought up during a few streamers from twitch

sounds like people are looking for handouts...just like you

Ice_Tempest
05-02-2013, 02:20 PM
I paid for the DLC yesterday...(I must be dumb but I really don't know) I never noticed a single thing change except that I got a hat and 2 greens. Please someone post a link so that I can realize what I supposedly got in the first DLC. :(

Treadjr
05-02-2013, 02:20 PM
I to have been through many mmo releases and this is far the worse out of them to me. example killing Nim I spend 3+ days hours and hours to kill him solo and when I finally kill him I wake up next morning and its reset and that has happened not once but 2 times so now I just don't even kill I just chase arc falls and other stuff. that's hours of gameplay gone.

baelrusk
05-02-2013, 02:21 PM
I paid for the DLC yesterday...(I must be dumb but I really don't know) I never noticed a single thing change except that I got a hat and 2 greens. Please someone post a link so that I can realize what I supposedly got in the first DLC. :(

The DLC packs haven't been released yet.
You simply prepurchased them in a bundle.

Eisberg
05-02-2013, 02:21 PM

No DLC has been released yet.

Durva360
05-02-2013, 02:23 PM

No, just no. They will probably make up for it with boosts but making paid dlc be free would just screw them over and the ones that paid for dlc

ThanatosPa
05-02-2013, 02:24 PM
I want a skitterling plushy:p

As to free DLC i say no way!! If you want DLC fork over the cash.

Panthan
05-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Here is my opinion on the first paid DLC. I really think that the first paid DLC should be free due to the fact that this game has been buggy as can be. I personally have been screwed on multiple occasions where they reset after I have put many and many hours into the game and had to redo everything again and again. Well that is my opinion and was wondering what others thought.

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u531/Rhypanthan/no_zps5b23d2cd.png

Ice_Tempest
05-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Ok thanks :)
So basically this guy who opened the thread wants something he has never seen to be free...LOL (I really am thick sometimes, that never even occurred to me as an option)

thejx4
05-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Asking for free things because a game has issues. You should be lucky the game can be fixed.

You don't get free popcorn because you don't like something in a movie.

BJWyler
05-02-2013, 02:32 PM

I disagree. To be a gamer in this day and age is to understand that no game will be released free of bugs and problems. It is to understand that generally, the first year of life will have many growing pains. What one needs to determine is if the entertainment value of the game outweighs the negatives. For me, the fun factor, coupled with the B2P model makes this game more than worth my time and money.

Treadjr
05-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Like I said my opinion and wanted to see what others think and btw I to already bought the season pass a while back

Sylvae
05-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Maybe some lockboxes, or claimable keys for each unexpected maintenance. Find some decent amount per hour to keys, and implement that. Bonus points if something messes up a character.

baelrusk
05-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Maybe some lockboxes, or claimable keys for each unexpected maintenance. Find some decent amount per hour to keys, and implement that. Bonus points if something messes up a character.

Unfortunately, there has been a lot of credibility lost with Trion.
It's like the small restaurant you go to keeps dishing out worse and worse stuff.
You end up not expecting them to last much longer at that rate.
So would you accept a free anything you want for 2 years discount from them when you haven't even seen any sign at all of improvement?

This isn't a problem that can be made up for by giving internal freebies. It's unfortunate but true.....

iBK
05-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Unfortunately, there has been a lot of credibility lost with Trion.
It's like the small restaurant you go to keeps dishing out worse and worse stuff.
You end up not expecting them to last much longer at that rate.
So would you accept a free anything you want for 2 years discount from them when you haven't even seen any sign at all of improvement?

This isn't a problem that can be made up for by giving internal freebies. It's unfortunate but true.....

Did you read the terms of service for this game?

ironhands
05-03-2013, 07:06 AM

but the first one is supposed to be paid for. We paid for the first 5 DLC. if the first dlc is free for everyone, we're being delayed on what we paid for, and inconvenienced. What if I don't want the 6th DLC?

Lazurkri
05-03-2013, 07:19 AM
My question to the people who've already bought season pass: why are you paying easily 50% more than you should be for something like that? For example, Halo 4's season pass was around 15 bucks. NOT over half the basic retail value of the game!

Orge Lambart
05-03-2013, 07:31 AM
My question to the people who've already bought season pass: why are you paying easily 50% more than you should be for something like that? For example, Halo 4's season pass was around 15 bucks. NOT over half the basic retail value of the game!

The season pass cost goes by the content included with in, the 5 DLC"s they are hocking will be priced at 50 dollars total or 10 dollars per DLC. If you buy the season pass you pay 40 dollars, thus saving yourself 10 dollars or getting one piece of DLC for free. It makes sense to buy the season pass if you plan on getting all the content, it doesn't make sense if you aren't sure if you'll buy all the content.

If you are someone like me you'll wait until they atleast outline their DLC before making the purchase, I have the points sitting on my account just waiting to buy it, but currently with zero information about the season pass I have zero reason to buy it. Which has me wondering why we haven't heard anything about the DLC yet. Atleast a brief outline of what they plan to include for people who pay.

Orge Lambart
05-03-2013, 07:32 AM
but the first one is supposed to be paid for. We paid for the first 5 DLC. if the first dlc is free for everyone, we're being delayed on what we paid for, and inconvenienced. What if I don't want the 6th DLC?

Now you are just using semantics, seeing as you don't know what you paid for just yet, they could make the first one free and give you the 6th one as part of your season pass and you still wouldn't know what you paid for before paying for the season pass.

ironhands
05-03-2013, 07:32 AM

There really is no "should" cost. things cost what people are willing to pay, but it's pretty standard for a DLC pack to be around $10 each, Borderlands 1/2 DLC packs were 10$, and the season pass was what, $35 on release date?

Gabbro1000
05-03-2013, 07:39 AM

All the season pass holders have bashed you quite abit... my turn!

You want a FREE dlc because of what... 1 pursuit that you can't do till next week and a PvP map they keep releasing and widthdrawing! That's complete rubbish. The game works, there is not a single thing that will stop you from completing it. There are bugs in the game that cause stats to reset. If you look at some of the threads there are ways to avoid this happening.

You bought the game, they are fixing it. FOR FREE. Be thankful the voodoo that is the interwebz allows this to happen.

If you want extra, pay for it. That's pretty much all you need to know about economics.

ironhands
05-03-2013, 07:40 AM
Now you are just using semantics, seeing as you don't know what you paid for just yet, they could make the first one free and give you the 6th one as part of your season pass and you still wouldn't know what you paid for before paying for the season pass.

Yes we would, because we've been repeatedly told that the first major content update will feature both free and paid components.

Orge Lambart
05-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Yes we would, because we've been repeatedly told that the first major content update will feature both free and paid components.

As I'm sure the other 5 DLC"s will offer free and paid as well. So why does it matter if they turn the first DLC totally free and give you the potential 6th piece of DLC content for free instead? Right now it wouldn't matter if they turned the first one all free, and made a sixth one you wouldn't have gotten for free with season pass, into a piece of free content with the season pass.

You don't know what you are getting, so them changing what you get for free and what you pay for won't change anything.

If anything I'd be happy if they gave us more free boost for a few days.

ironhands
05-03-2013, 07:42 AM
All the season pass holders have bashed you quite abit... my turn!

You want a FREE dlc because of what... 1 pursuit that you can't do till next week and a PvP map they keep releasing and widthdrawing! That's complete rubbish. The game works, there is not a single thing that will stop you from completing it. There are bugs in the game that cause stats to reset. If you look at some of the threads there are ways to avoid this happening.

If you want extra, pay for it. That's pretty much all you need to know about economics.

You bought the game, they are fixing it. FOR FREE. Be thankful the voodoo that is the interwebz allows this.

he wants more free content, on top of the already free content, because he's been inconvenienced with the product he paid for. As a result, those of us who paid for the upcoming content that isn't free, should have to wait an additional moth or two for the products we paid for.

ironhands
05-03-2013, 07:46 AM
As I'm sure the other 5 DLC"s will offer free and paid as well. So why does it matter if they turn the first DLC totally free and give you the potential 6th piece of DLC content for free instead? Right now it wouldn't matter if they turned the first one all free, and made a sixth one you wouldn't have gotten for free with season pass, into a piece of free content with the season pass.

You don't know what you are getting, so them changing what you get for free and what you pay for won't change anything.

If anything I'd be happy if they gave us more free boost for a few days.

We were told, specifically, that we would get the first 5 DLC packs.

Lamerian
05-03-2013, 07:53 AM

If they change their plan on DLC, then they should be willing to refund the Season Pass, so people can get the proposed free DLC and then purchase others as they come out. Expecting people to work every day and then give away the product of said work is not fair. Even though the game has fallen short of expectations, they didn't force me to buy it. I took the chance based on Trion's name and my past experience with Rift. Defiance hasn't performed or provided anything close to that experience, but I don't think they should be required to work for nothing.

As far as getting extra boosts and gear, that actually defeats the purpose of playing for the rewards and fun. It's like giving people a maxed out character. Then what, just ride around and be awesome? Games need progression of some kind or they aren't fun, they don't provide a purpose. Would people play basketball if the scores were already fixed and a winner decided through other means than the players competing with each other for points? Would people watch this kind of game? I wouldn't.

Giles
05-03-2013, 07:56 AM
I'm satisfied with my season pass. I have a hat.. I chose a very short military cut, and wished I could give myself hair. The season pass solved all of my problems. Oh and the anticipation that i'll enjoy my paid DLCs as much as i've enjoyed every functioning ounce of this game. No regrets..plus a hat.

Gabbro1000
05-03-2013, 08:00 AM
the potential 6th piece of DLC content for free instead.

This line should surely make something click. Your argument is now going into the fictitious. 5 DLCs by the end of the year is still stretching the game. There is no reason why the first DLC should be free. It would just be a huge insult to season pass holders.
BUT if they did make it free, I would EXPECT a refund of the points I spent. Anything else would just give me reason to trade this game in when Dark Souls II comes out!

I'm satisfied with my season pass. I have a hat.

If it was a sombrero or something, I'd be happier!

Orge Lambart
05-03-2013, 08:04 AM
hey slappy, nobody knows what the DLC is going to be, so if they made the first paid DLC free for everyone it wouldn't effect season pass holders, try to use some logic. If you are promised 5 DLC's which you don't know what they are. The first DLC is a free DLC which doesn't count against the five you paid for, how does that do anything to you or the content you paid for?

BTW I think this is a stupid idea anyway, give us some free boost for a few days, I personally don't think they have to do anything, but if you want to appease the unwashed masses, free stuff always tends to have that effect.

ironhands
05-03-2013, 08:05 AM
They'll likely add a "haircut booth" to change your appearance. Many made their first character without knowing all of the options. Especially with the new race being released, some may want to switch, without having to re-roll and redo everything.

ironhands
05-03-2013, 08:06 AM
hey slappy, nobody knows what the DLC is going to be, so if they made the first paid DLC free for everyone it wouldn't effect season pass holders, try to use some logic. If you are promised 5 DLC's which you don't know what they are. The first DLC is a free DLC which doesn't count against the five you paid for, how does that do anything to you or the content you paid for?

BTW I think this is a stupid idea anyway, give us some free boost for a few days, I personally don't think they have to do anything, but if you want to appease the unwashed masses, free stuff always tends to have that effect.

you want us to quote the posts that state something to the effect of "the first DLC scheduled for a few weeks will contain both free and paid content"? so yes, we clearly would know

Fenruswolf
05-03-2013, 08:15 AM
There are many such forum threads with people wanting free stuff. I'm upset, so give me something free to make me feel better. In the real world we would call that a spoiled child. I have no problem paying for more content. It's a very basic business model, and everyone does it. I have purchased the Season Pass, and if someone doesn't like it, or thinks its stupid, I could care less. I work for a living, it's my money, I am a successful business owner, and capable of deciding where I should spend my money. I have never asked for anything to be free, I prefer to work for and pay for the things I get.

If something is broken, I get it fixed. If it's in warranty and won't cost me anything great. Trion is doing what they should be doing and that is fixing the game. If my dvd player isn't working I don't go to Best Buy and demand free movies to make me happy. There is a lot of integrity to the B2P model, and charging for the content is an honest way of making money. If you're not happy with Defiance you can stop playing. No one is forcing you to play, no one is making you do anything.

Ironhands makes a great deal of sense.