PDA

View Full Version : Back to Basics.

Iceberg
05-02-2013, 04:10 PM
I am not sure if its just my observation being one sided as an outsider looking in, but some basic things for this game do not seem to be met.

Test Server:

An public test server where new patches are deployed and are tested before release to the retail servers. This test server could also give access to players who wish to play and test on the newest content and provide feedback on what is buggy, what works, what doesn't work.

Communication in game:

A warning is sometimes given about a patch coming to the server and rightfully so, but in an emergency they just panic and pull the switch. A simple 5 minute server warning would have suffice, and allow the text to stay up in place for a good 10-15 seconds. As chat is now, you can turn your head for a second and miss something.

Server Status Indicators:

A simple but useful item on the website/game launcher could save a lot of people some headaches. A small paragraph detailing why the server is out or having connection problems would go a long way with patching things up with the community.

Summary:

These are just a small sample of basic things a game should have in times of launch/patching/restarts/fixes. Most people who play games do not go to that companies website/forum to check on possible reasons why things are the way they are. I could go on about the basic needs of in game UI, Chat, and all that but when it comes to testing patches out, the NA Servers should not be considered your test bed.

baelrusk
05-02-2013, 04:16 PM
I am not sure if its just my observation being one sided as an outsider looking in, but some basic things for this game do not seem to be met.

Test Server:

An internal test server where new patches are deployed and are tested before release to the retail servers. This test server could also give access to players who wish to play and test on the newest content and provide feedback on what is buggy, what works, what doesn't work.

Communication in game:

A warning is sometimes given about a patch coming to the server and rightfully so, but in an emergency they just panic and pull the switch. A simple 5 minute server warning would have suffice, and allow the text to stay up in place for a good 10-15 seconds. As chat is now, you can turn your head for a second and miss something.

A simple but useful item on the website/game launcher could save a lot of people some headaches. A small paragraph detailing why the server is out or having connection problems would go a long way with patching things up with the community.

Summary:

These are just a small sample of basic things a game should have in times of launch/patching/restarts/fixes. Most people who play games do not go to that companies website/forum to check on possible reasons why things are the way they are. I could go on about the basic needs of in game UI, Chat, and all that but when it comes to testing patches out, the NA Servers should not be considered your test bed.

That's a big part of much of the major controversy.
There's no sign of them doing anything on it.
All that is really received in reply is statements like "we're aware of the issue" or "we're currently working on it"
And they release "exciting new content" while these foundation points are basically jury rigged in a sense.
You are correct though......if those fundamental points were fixed (even separately) there would be many less problems. And probably many less pissed off customers.

Justin CarMichael
05-02-2013, 04:18 PM
What you guys don't like the new "Is the server up and running?" Mini Game?

Is this not what you asked for? Are you not entertained?!?!

Iceberg
05-02-2013, 04:22 PM
I can understand a publisher wanting to get a game out fast to earn some money, but if this game has been in development for 5 years, it doesn't show it. Sorry to be blunt about it Trion, but if the fundamentals and basics were done you might have a lot more customers than you currently do. Can the project be saved? I hope so, with time and effort and a lot of elbow grease.

Miserere
05-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Is this not what you asked for? Are you not entertained?!?!
http://i.imgur.com/LezNlxh.gif

Had to post the gif. XD

Iceberg
05-08-2013, 03:34 PM
In light of recent news with the latest patch, I wish to emphasize the importance of a Test server.

Ryme
05-08-2013, 03:43 PM
In light of recent news with the latest patch, I wish to emphasize the importance of a Test server.

pssst.... we are the test server.

Random
05-08-2013, 03:49 PM
Could be worse.

You could of paid to be in the beta right?

Boy that'd of made you a fool.

K1LLSVV1TCH
05-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Oh yea I'd actually forgotten about test servers... If I remember right WoW has a beta test server that you can copy your character into and give feedback on it long before it's implemented into the game, right? I'm not sure if I'm remembering wrong because I never was an avid WoW player.

Jack The Bear
05-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Oh yea I'd actually forgotten about test servers... If I remember right WoW has a beta test server that you can copy your character into and give feedback on it long before it's implemented into the game, right? I'm not sure if I'm remembering wrong because I never was an avid WoW player.

Yep, your right. I'd love a PTR in DeFi, its required at this point.

Iceberg
05-08-2013, 05:05 PM
pssst.... we are the test server.

Sadly, that is what it looks like for the PC NA server. :(

Justin CarMichael
05-08-2013, 07:51 PM

Had to post the gif. XD

That's what I was going for. :)

Chemikz
05-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Yeah they could have avoided -all- of this downtime with Freight Yard if they had a public test server. They'd have encountered these bugs before the patch goes live, attempt to fix them, put it back on the ptr, fix them again, re apply to the ptr until it's perfect THEN release the patch on the live servers. They sort of need to cut back on the bug and problem exposure for a while until this passes over.

Oh, and if they do decide to roll with public test servers I hope they don't make it out to be some brilliant feature they're giving us. It's for their benefit, not ours.

Iceberg
05-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Well after this newest patch, 1.020, I think I will just ask for one simple thing from Trion. I know it might be simple by my terms, but would it be possible if you guys could just put up a Test Server? I am pretty sure a lot of people here on the forums would gladly login to it to test out future patches. At this point I know it sounds like a broken record, but maybe with a little luck something might change.

Doomsaw
05-23-2013, 01:37 PM

WOW has a test server and League of Legends has a test server.

Both games have much larger, more sweeping patches and have almost zero problems with them. Partially because of more experienced staff and partially because of the test server.

IAMVILELENT
05-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Well after this newest patch, 1.020, I think I will just ask for one simple thing from Trion. I know it might be simple by my terms, but would it be possible if you guys could just put up a Test Server? I am pretty sure a lot of people here on the forums would gladly login to it to test out future patches. At this point I know it sounds like a broken record, but maybe with a little luck something might change.

This would require competence. I'm personally not sure how Trion's Defiance team still exist and hasn't been completely replaced after this 1 month debacle.

cab0218
05-23-2013, 01:49 PM
They will never do this. I have given up all hope at this point. Plain and simple we are the testers at this point not Trion.

Cephious
05-23-2013, 01:52 PM

Had to post the gif. XD

Which has been recently confirmed by the creator- is pronounced Jif. WTF Graphic is Jraphic??

cusman
05-23-2013, 01:56 PM

Test Server:

An internal test server where new patches are deployed and are tested before release to the retail servers. This test server could also give access to players who wish to play and test on the newest content and provide feedback on what is buggy, what works, what doesn't work.

Communication in game:

Summary:

You are speaking too much good sense. Trion only trion, not doing.

FrkyDkyDutch
05-23-2013, 02:00 PM

Had to post the gif. XD

That is the first thing I thought of when I read that post. Brought a smile to my face. ;) Both the comment and then the thought of Gladiator.

Iceberg
05-23-2013, 02:02 PM
You are speaking too much good sense. Trion only trion, not doing.

I must be doing it wrong then, I must speak in non sense to have someone at Trion listen. Now I know my failing, I shall endeavor to correct this mistake.

Iceberg
05-29-2013, 05:19 PM
After patch 1.020 they added the Text to stay up longer than a second, I guess this is progress but far from where the game needs to be. Here is hoping the rest of this mess is sorted in due time.