PDA

View Full Version : Dear Trion -- anything I/we can do to help?

Sids
05-04-2013, 01:07 AM
Things is crazy, and there's a lot of us consumers here -- I'm sure at least a fraction of us would love to pitch in and help make things better, smoother, whateverier. I'm having a great time in game, and I'm wondering if there's anything we can do to help the developing team. Should we be opening thousands of help tickets? Reporting each and every problem we encounter? What's the preferred avenue?

....crap, now it sounds vaguely like I'm interrogating. I'll lay off. Just, ya know, if there's anything you guys need that I/we/anyone could help with, say the word man, I'm there.

(If you're not from Trion but you still would be willing to help out, signal your solidarity with a reverent BROFIST OF PROMISE. Just..... just type BROFIST OF PROMISE or...... or don't...... BROFIST!!!)

Schwa
05-04-2013, 01:15 AM
I'd be happy to do anything to help. Of course, Trion would need to ask if they want me to do anything other than post repeatedly on the forums.

TheDark1
05-04-2013, 01:20 AM
yeah, i'd be interested in helping, but im not continually spamming the forums with details and stuff. thats assenine. i'll send trouble tickets/bug reports/suggestions and whatever. im no code writer, but im pretty fluent in what a decent game is. and this one seems pretty decent. i love coming here to just read how much the haters hate on it. reminds me of how much i used to get pissed off with CoX whenever there was an overhaul. now look at me: gameless, groupless, friendless, exiled outcast.... woe was me.
/endsobstory

so, sure. ideas and observations i have aplenty. just tell me where to log my complaint with management :)

Panthan
05-04-2013, 01:25 AM
I wouldnt mind doing my part.

Your post just sparked a memory about doing my part to fight bugs :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTz9nIUkGc

EvilOps
05-04-2013, 01:29 AM
105 million dollars one would think would be entrusted to capable people.

source: http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/syfy-bets-105m-tv-series-and-video-game-147622

The only thing that can truly help the developers would be retaining concurrent users for metrics. Submitting bug reports and buying 12 dollar skins in the cash shop.

I'll let you figure out which of the three would be most important.

VolDeVie
05-04-2013, 01:30 AM
If they did reach out to the fanbase more than other games have to help improve the game I would be awe-struck. Never before have I seen a non-indie game reach out ask for true help on making their game better. I'd love to see Trion get the community a little more involved for a moment if it would help iron out the errors. That being said, I'd help out if it was something someone illiterate on all programming languages could do!

Schwa
05-04-2013, 01:38 AM
If they did reach out to the fanbase more than other games have to help improve the game I would be awe-struck. Never before have I seen a non-indie game reach out ask for true help on making their game better. I'd love to see Trion get the community a little more involved for a moment if it would help iron out the errors. That being said, I'd help out if it was something someone illiterate on all programming languages could do!

Tabula Rasa basically flew in a bunch of their community to act as consultants. A limited-time "ascended" focus testing group, I guess.

That's not to say I'd expect to see it anywhere else. That game was a litle odd, then NCSoft murdered it.

VolDeVie
05-04-2013, 01:44 AM
Tabula Rasa basically flew in a bunch of their community to act as consultants. A limited-time "ascended" focus testing group, I guess.

That's not to say I'd expect to see it anywhere else. That game was a litle odd, then NCSoft murdered it. O_O I don't know how to respond to that. I heard that game flopped, but props to them for taking such a logical approach.

MacDeath
05-04-2013, 03:48 AM
Trion also uses Focus Groups. In addition, we DID have an Alpha Test group as well which has been back burnered since Live launch. Nathan posted a 'Note-to-self' on his blog a while back to get a Test-Server up and running. IF/WHEN it's open to all, Copy your character over there and help them/us test.

Viryu
05-04-2013, 04:25 AM
It's not really about reporting bugs, since tons of unfixed bugs are still laying around on the forum, just waiting to be fixed. The question here should be, is the staff actually checking out the forum? With an activity limiting itself to couple posts a day, which most of them are just formal announcements (like patches) and news, I kinda doubt it.

WhiteCell
05-04-2013, 04:28 AM

source: http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/syfy-bets-105m-tv-series-and-video-game-147622

The only thing that can truly help the developers would be retaining concurrent users for metrics. Submitting bug reports and buying 12 dollar skins in the cash shop.

No way Defiance video game cost $65 million dollars.

Sounds like somebody needs to audit those books and find out where the money went.

Drewbud
05-04-2013, 04:35 AM
I will transfer to the test server as well. I can only hope that we can do something to help, somehow.

MacDeath
05-04-2013, 04:54 AM
It's not really about reporting bugs, since tons of unfixed bugs are still laying around on the forum, just waiting to be fixed. The question here should be, is the staff actually checking out the forum? With an activity limiting itself to couple posts a day, which most of them are just formal announcements (like patches) and news, I kinda doubt it.
What causes you to believe that the PRIMARY vehicle to report bugs is the forums? I would expect Trion would MOSTLY focus on the bugs reported using the in-game reporting tool, no?

Viryu
05-04-2013, 06:19 AM
What causes you to believe that the PRIMARY vehicle to report bugs is the forums? I would expect Trion would MOSTLY focus on the bugs reported using the in-game reporting tool, no?

Tried that, it never worked. Or at least I've never seen any impact of that. Not to mention, if everything is taken from outside the forum, what's the point of the forum in the first place if the staff doesn't read it? For us to whine? I must quite frankly say, that in that case it does its job quite well. The spectrum of whining and complaining is so big, because the staff is inactive on the forum, and members feel neglected. Staff starts posting on the forum, answering questions, doubts, posts that the bugs were passed on, randomly posts elsewhere > people start to feel it matters what they say.

Iceberg
05-04-2013, 06:26 AM
I would be willing to help also, but the lack of communication and a proper test server is absurd. I would probably suggest that for everyone here to list their major issues with the game, be it bugs or game mechanics or whatever. A list or priority in how we all would like to see fixed first, then maybe that would give trion an idea of what it's customer base wants done.

Note to Trion Devs: The NA server is not a Test server, stop it.

Miserere
05-04-2013, 06:33 AM
As other posters have said, it seems that there is a lack of communication with Trion and the fanbase. Which is weird because in Rift, they were on top of everything. Maybe they recruited the newbie team? ;D

Anyways, I'd be willing to help. I'll buy lunch and bring the beer!

Lupus Interuptus
05-04-2013, 07:20 AM
Buy season pass they sank 80 mil dollars into this and its not gonna make that money back

Viryu
05-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Buy season pass they sank 80 mil dollars into this and its not gonna make that money back

Pretty much that. As long as the staff doesn't become active on the forum, assume it's all about the money.

PS. By active, I don't mean closing and deleting threads, which seems to be most common around these areas.

Malachi
05-04-2013, 11:36 AM

That includes the television show, which is pretty fantastic. It's the highest budget show that Syfy has ever done, so most of that 105 million went to the show. In fact, that article states that 40 million was for the show production, and another 15 million for marketing for the show. So that's over half the budget for just the show.

Also, SWToR cost almost 200 million, and it didn't have a tv show.

XGC Cipher
05-04-2013, 11:38 AM
making a game spanning 3 platforms isn't cheap

Malachi
05-04-2013, 11:44 AM

That's not to say I'd expect to see it anywhere else. That game was a litle odd, then NCSoft murdered it.

Yeah, I knew that game wasn't going to make it once their stupid leader (Richard Garriot) left right after it launched just so he could launch himself into space. What a tool.

But that game did have an awesome community team, the best I've ever seen. Their devs hosted weekly in-game events and they were always posting on their own forums. None of this "Let's wait a couple weeks while we decide what little information we're going to give the players". They were always open about everything they were doing. I really wish Trion would participate in the community more.

When will developers learn that to make a good game you don't need money, or marketing, or big publishers, or gimmicks, or whatever. All you need is players. The players are the people who know what they want in a game, and by listening to them you'll make your game the dream game that we've all been wanting. You don't have to listen to the players cry about "nerf this, buff that" in terms of balance, but everything else the devs should really listen to the players about. For every game.

MacDeath
05-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Yeah, I knew that game wasn't going to make it once their stupid leader (Richard Garriot) left right after it launched just so he could launch himself into space. What a tool.

But that game did have an awesome community team, the best I've ever seen. Their devs hosted weekly in-game events and they were always posting on their own forums. None of this "Let's wait a couple weeks while we decide what little information we're going to give the players". They were always open about everything they were doing. I really wish Trion would participate in the community more.

When will developers learn that to make a good game you don't need money, or marketing, or big publishers, or gimmicks, or whatever. All you need is players. The players are the people who know what they want in a game, and by listening to them you'll make your game the dream game that we've all been wanting. You don't have to listen to the players cry about "nerf this, buff that" in terms of balance, but everything else the devs should really listen to the players about. For every game.
If Trion were to do everything the players asked for it would destroy the game. See my thread: http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?55353-MMOs-Designed-to-please-players-are-doomed-to-fail!

Daholic
05-04-2013, 11:52 AM

Wow..and skyrim costs between 6-14m to make, and even though its not the same type of game, just seem like you get so much more. Not only that, im still playing skyrim after 1yr.

K1LLSVV1TCH
05-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Trion made $100,000,000 from RIFT last year alone... I think they should just hire properly educated programmers... Not the slave labor in China or whatever the hell they're doing now.

khanstruct
05-04-2013, 12:29 PM

Not really.

Still, $105 million is the rough budget for the project, which includes a staggering $40 million for the TV series alone

Which leaves $65 million for the game and marketing. That burns up real fast. Trion's budget is what it would cost to make an MMO 10 years ago. SWTOR had $100 million for the game alone.