PDA

View Full Version : The good,the bad & the ugly

Tzar of kaos
01-06-2013, 12:43 PM
I like stories & background stories and i was thinking about Defiance.This is my thought about it.To have a good story you need the good & the bad.If you want a very good story you need to add the ugly.So this is how i see things.
The good this is us the arks hunters.
The bad for sure we 'll get enemies to fight but nothing very charismatic not a real bad ***.I guess we 'll discover that one later.
& the ugly for me its Von Bach Industries because i found very strange there is only one company that do what they do.They give us a job,high technology & weapons to "help" them to find some aliens trash.We don't really know why they doing that.And what is this EGO anyway,some kind of " big brother is watching you" "you are my puppet".I found them strange.
Maybe i'm wrong we 'll see . :)

Shashu
01-08-2013, 02:04 AM
Hey guys, Shashu from Australia.
I was fortunate enough to get a few hours to blast around the game a couple of weeks ago. Now one of the issues i found was the lack of a peek ability or the ability to pock ya head out from around a corner. Now if anyone knows if this has been mentioned please fill me in. Next issue is, Balancing. Trion is with out a doubt one of the best game developers out their for PVE content, But TRION's PVP is very VERY below average. Rift for example, was the worst balanced game i have ever played and believe me i have played a lot of mmo's over the year and yes even the ones before WOW (WoW was not the first MMO) Now some will disagree with that statement and you have a right to. if you have a valid reason for your claim jump right in. If not don't Dribble **** and spew back what someone else posted on some other forum etc etc. Now being a top ranked PVPer in a lot of games, i really hope this time they do not screw this up. With this game they are on a 100% winner if they do it right aka DONT release it before it is ready. Im a massive science fiction fan, and i would hate to see trion burn this one, only to realize their mistakes when its to late aka RIFT.
P.S this was not a rant, just an open discussion, for people to comment to. Get the ball rolling as you would on what the PLAYERS want in a game. As Trion takes some time to catch onto this from my experience. Its something we should Voice as early as we can.
Have a good one guys from Shashu in Australia.

smashasaurus
01-08-2013, 04:27 AM
My biggest worry is that the show itself will be too expensive and end up bankrupting everyone like terra nova did.

MuKi1115
01-08-2013, 06:13 AM
For me as a player PVP balancing is simply not an issue as I never played any MMO for the PVP. I tried it in WOW and SWTOR and didnt like it... I play games to experience adventures and live the life of someone else not to compete in the ever same arena.
I liked the open PVP in SWTOR though, it really kept me on edge and added to the immersion...

Titchi
01-08-2013, 06:15 AM
Hey guys, Shashu from Australia.
I was fortunate enough to get a few hours to blast around the game a couple of weeks ago. Now one of the issues i found was the lack of a peek ability or the ability to pock ya head out from around a corner. Now if anyone knows if this has been mentioned please fill me in. Next issue is, Balancing. Trion is with out a doubt one of the best game developers out their for PVE content, But TRION's PVP is very VERY below average. Rift for example, was the worst balanced game i have ever played and believe me i have played a lot of mmo's over the year and yes even the ones before WOW (WoW was not the first MMO) Now some will disagree with that statement and you have a right to. if you have a valid reason for your claim jump right in. If not don't Dribble **** and spew back what someone else posted on some other forum etc etc. Now being a top ranked PVPer in a lot of games, i really hope this time they do not screw this up. With this game they are on a 100% winner if they do it right aka DONT release it before it is ready. Im a massive science fiction fan, and i would hate to see trion burn this one, only to realize their mistakes when its to late aka RIFT.
P.S this was not a rant, just an open discussion, for people to comment to. Get the ball rolling as you would on what the PLAYERS want in a game. As Trion takes some time to catch onto this from my experience. Its something we should Voice as early as we can.
Have a good one guys from Shashu in Australia.

I disagree, I loved the PvP in Rift. No it wasn't 100% balanced, but it was pretty polished and Trion would typicall address any issues more soon than later. From what I could tell from the Shadow War videos Trion put up, balance doesn't seem like a huge issue, and it was mentioned a few times as well, so they are very aware of the balancing issues that will and can occur. But for your question about the popping in and out of cover, On the live stream they had last Friday that question was brought up (worded differently.) But the Devs said that Defiance is ment to be a 'run and gun' shooter, not stick to cover shooter like say... Gears of War. They said you can certainly stick to cover if you feel like it but there will be no mechanics giving you an edge by doing so. You can find the live stream on twitch.tv, just got to go to last 1/3 of the archived video to see the Defiance stream.

Hopefully this answers your question!

Shashu
01-14-2013, 12:29 AM
I disagree, I loved the PvP in Rift. No it wasn't 100% balanced, but it was pretty polished and Trion would typicall address any issues more soon than later. From what I could tell from the Shadow War videos Trion put up, balance doesn't seem like a huge issue, and it was mentioned a few times as well, so they are very aware of the balancing issues that will and can occur. But for your question about the popping in and out of cover, On the live stream they had last Friday that question was brought up (worded differently.) But the Devs said that Defiance is ment to be a 'run and gun' shooter, not stick to cover shooter like say... Gears of War. They said you can certainly stick to cover if you feel like it but there will be no mechanics giving you an edge by doing so. You can find the live stream on twitch.tv, just got to go to last 1/3 of the archived video to see the Defiance stream.

Trion took two years to pull their finger out and balance the classes to an acceptable level. Still better than most game companies i guess. Thanks for your reply about the peek ability also. Now im hoping for good camouflage armor so a sniper class can be played like a sniper. As rangers and archers have been my class of choice over the years. I thoroughly enjoyed sniping during the game test and will be waiting with batted breath for the games release with the rest of the growing fans. Touch wood, that they can balance this with more ease and efficiency than the four classes in rift.
Defiance has Multiple classes, lots and lots of guns / weapons and lots of armor to choose from, massive trees to spec into...... I have to say im skeptical that they can pull it off when they had so much issue just doing four classes with minor trees and basic weapon sets and the fact they are using the same lines to sell Defiance as they did with rift..... But i will still be on the website in day one of pre-order, as this game has the incredible potential to be a long lasting game with a huge fan base.

Fiancee
01-14-2013, 12:56 AM
My biggest worry is that the show itself will be too expensive and end up bankrupting everyone like terra nova did.

Well, this game is huge gamble as well. I dont want to repeat what Ive said before.. They should have bought some known IP like Lord of the Ring or Game of the Thrones and make this out of it. Im gonna be pissed off if this brings Rift down, what seems to do quite well and I plan to play it in the future too. There isnt that many good MMOs around. Gotta hope they know what they're doing.

Fiancee
01-14-2013, 01:04 AM
Multiplatform game should quarantee 1.5mill copies I think. :confused:

Guts
01-14-2013, 01:08 AM
Yes, and Pew Pewing. PVP is about true skill you have to shoot the other person. There is not auto aim or "power" that you can hit them with. If you don't shoot them you can't kill them. Yes you can use a frag, but it is on CD the same CD that everyone else gets, Yes you can use a EGO skill, but none of the EGO skills can kill the other persons out right.

Game play helps push this blance. Shadow wars open world pvp that can happen anywere. This game play changes if more or less people are plalying at anyone time, so no odd side out or crap zone to work with. All PVE items can be used in PVP, so you don't have to Lv up in PVP just to be good at PVP. Some will not like this, but that is only b/c in other games, you had to work at PVP to ge PVP gear and weapons just for PVP, now you can take your PVP loot to PVE too.

You also need to have a set power rate to unlock things in the game, so you don't get trap in game play you don't like or can't do. With that said eveything you do can up your EGO power, so PVP or PVE.

Usurper
01-14-2013, 01:39 AM
Trion took two years to pull their finger out and balance the classes to an acceptable level. Still better than most game companies i guess. Thanks for your reply about the peek ability also. Now im hoping for good camouflage armor so a sniper class can be played like a sniper. As rangers and archers have been my class of choice over the years. I thoroughly enjoyed sniping during the game test and will be waiting with batted breath for the games release with the rest of the growing fans. Touch wood, that they can balance this with more ease and efficiency than the four classes in rift.
Defiance has Multiple classes, lots and lots of guns / weapons and lots of armor to choose from, massive trees to spec into...... I have to say im skeptical that they can pull it off when they had so much issue just doing four classes with minor trees and basic weapon sets and the fact they are using the same lines to sell Defiance as they did with rift..... But i will still be on the website in day one of pre-order, as this game has the incredible potential to be a long lasting game with a huge fan base.

Defiance has no classes, no armor, a weapon slot and shield slot only for upgrades, and a COD perk style upgrade tree.

You can find all of this out by reading the threads right here on this forum. I wasn't even in the beta. You seem to have become hyped up expecting way more from the game than it actually is.

Cavadus
01-14-2013, 01:50 AM
Defiance has no classes, no armor, a weapon slot and shield slot only for upgrades, and a COD perk style upgrade tree.

Not quite. We get two weapon slots, grenade slot, shield slot, and vehicle slot. We can have one ability slotted at a time and then we can slot "perks" attached to that ability. As you increase in EGO rating you unlock additional perk slots.

Perks can have a HUGE effect.

Usurper
01-14-2013, 02:09 AM
Not quite. We get two weapon slots, grenade slot, shield slot, and vehicle slot. We can have one ability slotted at a time and then we can slot "perks" attached to that ability. As you increase in EGO rating you unlock additional perk slots.

Perks can have a HUGE effect.

we can dual wield guns then? calling mount an equipment slot seems a bit far fetched.

Cavadus
01-14-2013, 03:27 AM
we can dual wield guns then? calling mount an equipment slot seems a bit far fetched.

You can choose between two weapons to have equipped at one time and switch between them on the fly, yes.

You can also unlock "loadout" slots which you can switch on the fly through the character window. In just a few UI clicks you can go from rifleman to a SAW gunner to a medic all with different equipment and ability/perk loadouts.

As for vehicles, there are a couple of different ATVs and two jeep/buggy-esque vehicles. I know one of the buggies has a turret mounted on it that another player can gun.

Helsynge
01-14-2013, 03:32 AM
I doubt they'll be able to do this before launch but I hope they introduce a utility slot in the future with lots of cool future/alien tech gadgets to slot in it, it might really up the game. You could have various mines, stationary shields, turrets (the goldeneye kind, not TF), rocket boots to give you an increased jump every so often, x-ray binoculars (think blacklight retribution), deployable healing terminals, a one shot special effect such as a knockback or an ego disruptor, sensor alarms, radar.... the list goes on. All of which would either have long cooldowns between uses, limited use or drawbacks to using them and only be capable of moderate damage.

I wasn't a big fan of WoW but I played it with friends and the most fun I had was pvping as a gadgeteer (especailly Hunter). I'd be parachuting from place to place and using every bomb and gadget I could make (I especially loved sap charges for when I was going to die ^_^).

vampero
01-14-2013, 05:23 AM

I disagree with you it is gear based PvP and that sucks in my eyes. You have no chance if your under geared.

Titchi
01-14-2013, 05:28 AM
I disagree with you it is gear based PvP and that sucks in my eyes. You have no chance if your under geared.

I never mentioned gear... and if you are talking about the Defiance PvP, it is not gear based. And it's been mentioned several times too. Everything is skill based. The thing that is going to make a difference in PvP might be the guns. But the only way we will know for sure is to get in a play.

vampero
01-14-2013, 06:22 AM
I never mentioned gear... and if you are talking about the Defiance PvP, it is not gear based. And it's been mentioned several times too. Everything is skill based. The thing that is going to make a difference in PvP might be the guns. But the only way we will know for sure is to get in a play.

No I'm not. I'm taking about Rift read you quote..lol I know Defiance is not gear based PvP.

Titchi
01-14-2013, 06:46 AM
No I'm not. I'm taking about Rift read you quote..lol I know Defiance is not gear based PvP.

I still never mentioned gear, even when I was talking about Rift. Gear had nothing to do with any balancing issues. And the 'balancing' you're talking about is in every MMO with stat weighted gear. The only way through it is to buck up and lose a bit to get the currency needed to buy better gear. I don't call that imbalance, I call it everyone being a p*ssy not wanting to work for their gear.

vampero
01-14-2013, 11:46 AM
I still never mentioned gear, even when I was talking about Rift. Gear had nothing to do with any balancing issues. And the 'balancing' you're talking about is in every MMO with stat weighted gear. The only way through it is to buck up and lose a bit to get the currency needed to buy better gear. I don't call that imbalance, I call it everyone being a p*ssy not wanting to work for their gear.

I don't agree Guild Wars 2 is not gear base it is skilled base and I love it. You all start a lvl 80 in sPvP and you pick which Runes you want to use to be different and it is free to respect if you make a mistake . There is no under geared people in sPvP so you don't have to worry if they are being a p*ssy or not...lol It's your skills to win !

Titchi
01-14-2013, 11:53 AM
I don't agree Guild Wars 2 is not gear base it is skilled base and I love it. You all start a lvl 80 in sPvP and you pick which Runes you want to use to be different and it is free to respect if you make a mistake . There is no under geared people in sPvP so you don't have to worry if they are being a p*ssy or not...lol It's your skills to win !

Irrelevant. GW2 doesn't have stat weighted gear from what it sounds like. I've never played it so I can't know for sure.