PDA

View Full Version : My take on state of Defiance game + show(long)

Ctrain
05-04-2013, 11:57 PM
I've been playing for about a week or 2 which I know isn't as long as possible but I saw OMG server crashes and held off for a couple weeks till things stabalized. Which they do seem to have fixed the majority of the game destroying issues. This post is focusing more on issues as I see them that will eventually become a problem or allready are.

First I'll quickly touch on the show and what I perceive to be its glaring problems. Firstly the whole lead in was handled poorly. What I would have done to really stoke interest is made a SCI-FY original movie and hyped it for about a month before it released. This should have aired the weekend before the games release. In said movie it starts with the stellar collision event and the votans eventual decision to move to earth which they obviously did not realize was inhabited. And as such would not have brought space wasting things like HUGE MECHS etc which while cool for the game is totally inplausable when they could have fit more hypersleep modules considering the planet they were landing on was not supposed to be inhabited making the mechs uneccesary.

Then we move on to earth and show the intial discovery of the votan fleet by the un and a few short scenes where they plan out the EMC etc and how to respond. Fast forward to the arrival or near to it and introduce all the relevant humans of the series. Shortly thereafter aliens arrive and at first there obviously stunned by humans presence and we see how they debate handling it as well as from the human side and how they decide to proceed. Then events unfold leading to civil unrest and eventually pale wars with a climax ofcourse @ the battle of Defiance. The fact this singular event which as they even say everything was named after has not been shown directly is a travesty in my book.

The show itself is not bad at all. I do think the pilot would have worked alot better following a film that explained everything that was going on however. Its sort of jarring even for someone reading up on everything ahead of time. I expect it will improve as the actors get more experience working together and I can't offer many suggestion here. Allthough the fact the show and game take place in such dissparate locations is very dissapointing to me and it seems like this will severely cut down on the crossover potential.

As for the game. Well its a very strong core game. Its primary problem is a stunning lack of content. Blink and you will cross from one end of the "world" to the other. The major arkfalls are so repetitive you will probably see them all in 1 night of playing and some more then once. Considering there the endgame right now thats not a good thing. The games "economy" revolves around vendor runs for high grade mods and epic weapons and opening lockboxes that probably contain junk. Add to that the arkfalls don't even make any sense in both frequency and perfectly linear progression. You'd think at this rate the entire fleet would have crashed before the game released. They should be rarer with better rewards when they do happen so they don't seem as grindy. Fill the downtime with MORE CONTENT.

Another thing I noticed is that in rift, which arkfalls borrow heavily from, they had zone invasions which were probably the thing I liked most about the whole game. The sky would open and you'd have a zone wide event. In Defiance even the majors are no big deal. Esp since there so commonplace. Why not have a terraspire crash occasionally and set off a temporary terraforming type event which effected the whole zone and you had to complete the event and shut it down. While its building up and becoming more unstable all kinds of craziness could happen throughout the zone. OFcourse we only really have one or techically 2 zones so its really a server wide event.

Theres alot to be said about adding things like professions. Sure they've been done to death but there a great way for players to have something to do if all else fails. We allready have the barest makings of such a system in the salvage matrix but its much to simplistic with everyone having access to all its features. Remember if you don't keep players interested they'll leave.

It's my understanding this game has no raiding system at all and just instances. This will not fly for long. The logic is simple. You can't keep players interested without a gear progression and you can't have a gear progression without something to progress toward. I predict this will be one of the things that gets added later.

Right now we have a good game that has little replayability. In an MMO you should never run out of stuff to do. I allready have in just a week or 2. Sure I can continue doing arkfalls for gear and levels that have no need of but really its not only a grind but its a grind without purpose.

Escyos
05-05-2013, 12:04 AM
For storytelling, having the Votan story laid out so...in-depth, is useful. But economically speaking it would be a dead-end.

That is why you never find fans writing episodes of tv shows. They want to fill in every gap, leave no stone un-turned and close every story, which would prevent any future stories. TV shows don't limit themselves because that would limit their run.

Ctrain
05-05-2013, 12:08 AM
For storytelling, having the Votan story laid out so...in-depth, is useful. But economically speaking it would be a dead-end.

That is why you never find fans writing episodes of tv shows. They want to fill in every gap, leave no stone un-turned and close every story, which would prevent any future stories. TV shows don't limit themselves because that would limit their run.
Thats just it though. We allready have most of it from the lore. Its just a film adaptation of what they've allready stated happened with abit of creative editing. As its all in the past it wouldn't hurt the show much at all. I actually think having the additional character development would be a real benefit. Ofcourse its too late now anyway because by the time it got made we'd be on season 3 or 4. Unless ofcourse they allready are. Alot of Scifi shows actually start with a movie. Stargate beeing a prime example and had a very good run until SCi-FY bungled the scheduling and RDA left for the most part.