PDA

View Full Version : Defiance? game gold or just painted gold?

jarrodlovesmusic
05-05-2013, 04:39 PM
I know for me when I started Defiance I started and was addicted from the get go. I got it 10 days after it came out. When I started I just did the main mission, side missions and episode missions. I did pursuits and arkfalls here and there, but I mostly focused on the missions. Its a good thing I did because if I had waited I would have been able to finish the episode missions that are now "unavailable". The reason behind the removal of those episode missions was the game and show's timelines and "synced" so it wouldnt make sense for Noland and Irisa to be in the Bay Area if they are currently in Defiance. That's BS because the only connection to the show thus far has been those missions. So knowing that would a new customer buy the game knowing that content had been removed before they even played? That they are now experiencing a game that is incomplete? So now you pretty much have to check the forums constantly to make sure you arent missing any missions or new content because I guess Trion will evenutally remove content here and there. Do you agree with that? or do you see that as a huge arrow to the knee or a bullet to the foot for Trion?
Maybe its partly our faults. When the first episode missions came out we "assumed" that every episode would generate another series of episode missions. However, thus far the stories contained in each episode of the show have started and ended in each episode so there isnt any point to make an episode mission. Maybe there was never any plans for new episode mission and those missions were only made to generate a need/want to watch the pilot of the series. Like "oh I wonder what happens to Nolan and Irisa next?" will new content be released, will those 5 dlcs be released, who knows. Idk if Trion has commented on those burning questions because there are plenty of posts on here asking all these questions yet no answers. Usually Sci-Fi shows get one season to really cement their footing, will this show and game get another?

Drev
05-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Rynn is supposedly going to be part of the game next. The Irath chick who tried to kill everyone in the show. It was mentioned that there will be a time to do the removed episode missions again but no concrete details.

Wow, before I went to post this I double checked "where the shows collide" section and the part about Rynn is not there anymore...

http://www.defiance.com/en/series/news/where-game-meets-show

Darth Haighter
05-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Rynn is supposedly going to be part of the game next. The Irath chick who tried to kill everyone in the show. It was mentioned that there will be a time to do the removed episode missions again but no concrete details.

Wow, before I went to post this I double checked "where the shows collide" section and the part about Rynn is not there anymore...

http://www.defiance.com/en/series/news/where-game-meets-show

that's a let down :(

Wtflag
05-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Game was rushed by show's deadline.

They are scaling back planned content (read: times events) that link to the show, to fix bugs that persist after so long. And they have almost zero safeguards against hacking, so they are scrambling to fix it now.

Almost anyone can see this. Plain as daylight.

Drev
05-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Game was rushed by show's deadline.

They are scaling back planned content (read: times events) that link to the show, to fix bugs that persist after so long.

Almost anyone can see this. Plain as daylight.

Yeah but it's yet another ninja edit that was never fully disclosed by the incompetent dev team. By now it really feels as if they are lying to us by omission.

DaMaJaDiZ
05-05-2013, 05:08 PM
You really can't expect episodic content on a weekly, or even bi-weekly basis. There is no way that they will be able to have story line fully realized and ready for implementation in time. Even worse, the cross over content is looking more and more like a pipe dream at this point because they are going to have to put some real effort into making that part of the lore memorable. No shortcuts. Or at very least create something remotely interesting. Let's not set the bar too high for them to fumble over.
They would have to have members of every team working around the clock and ahead of the curve every step of the way. The only way that they could get away with it are maybe creating one or two cut scenes (two is pushing it) with voice acting for one standard and very straight forward event. Most likely they will drop recorders around the place and add semi permanent items like they did with the lanterns. Maybe, just maybe they will do something real for season and mid season finales. But I wouldn't count on it. Chances are that they have a small cache of cross over events already in the can. But with the system being as buggered as it is, even those aren't ready to go without some heavy testing.

Schwa
05-05-2013, 05:18 PM
You really can't expect episodic content on a weekly, or even bi-weekly basis. There is no way that they will be able to have story line fully realized and ready for implementation in time. Even worse, the cross over content is looking more and more like a pipe dream at this point because they are going to have to put some real effort into making that part of the lore memorable. No shortcuts. Or at very least create something remotely interesting. Let's not set the bar too high for them to fumble over.
They would have to have members of every team working around the clock and ahead of the curve every step of the way. The only way that they could get away with it are maybe creating one or two cut scenes (two is pushing it) with voice acting for one standard and very straight forward event. Most likely they will drop recorders around the place and add semi permanent items like they did with the lanterns. Maybe, just maybe they will do something real for season and mid season finales. But I wouldn't count on it. Chances are that they have a small cache of cross over events already in the can. But with the system being as buggered as it is, even those aren't ready to go without some heavy testing.

Unfortunately, they set the bar too high for themselves. The reason they're fumbling over the bar right now is they set unrealistic expectations from their content with the preseason content, without the capability to follow the lead of that content.

While I'm sure there's a host of technical reasons (what seems to be server/client immutability being #1) why they can't match their own example, that doesn't negate the fact that this example has already been set and players are expecting more of the same.

Wtflag
05-05-2013, 05:20 PM

Bi-weekly content was their plan.

They just didn't reckon with the number of the bugs and the hacking.

If they had another half a year to fix bugs which were reported since beta, and since the show was already done, pre-prepare the episode content. They could have done much better.

DaMaJaDiZ
05-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Bi-weekly content was their plan.

They just didn't reckon with the number of the bugs and the hacking.

If they had another half a year to fix bugs which were reported since beta, and since the show was already done, pre-prepare the episode content. They could have done much better.

Bugs aside, Biweekly or not. That content production would be a huge undertaking.
They would have had to have started on these updates a year ago to even approach something respectable. And the nature of the TV biz is to damned unpredictable to have any thing laid in stone with time for development.
Think of it this way. Often if an actor is having personal issues like is taken ill, or there is a pregnancy, the show can work around it. Not so much if you are planning on that reflecting directly into your game content with that same actor without restrictions. So what do you do? You side line that, and look for an entirely different story. Or maybe there's a tv episode dealing with a guerrilla band using tactics that one could easily draw parallels to events in real life.
One sniff from any executive and that concept goes bye bye for the duration, and the game can't keep up with that kind of an about turn on the fly.

Hell, if there's even a drastic change in wardrobe as sci fi shows usually do as they progress, that would be a nightmare to keep up with. Even a last minute script change in one line of dialogue could scuttle any work done for this side project. I doubt that there are going to be many concessions made for the sake of the game at the expense of what the show wants to do.
In the short term, maybe ( but unlikely), long term, no bloody way.

DaMaJaDiZ
05-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Unfortunately, they set the bar too high for themselves. The reason they're fumbling over the bar right now is they set unrealistic expectations from their content with the preseason content, without the capability to follow the lead of that content.

While I'm sure there's a host of technical reasons (what seems to be server/client immutability being #1) why they can't match their own example, that doesn't negate the fact that this example has already been set and players are expecting more of the same.

Agree 100%.
It's disappointing that this game has more to do with board room politics than anything else. Yeah, they can't get the technical side of the equation squared away, no doubt about that. But I don't see that as the only mountain that they are going to have to climb. And not even the one with the most road blocks. Why any of us expected that a collaboration with SyFy was going to yield positives for its patronage is a bit of a head scratcher. Yet, here we are.