PDA

View Full Version : How does shield resistance work?

Ravzar
05-05-2013, 09:44 PM
I cannot believe there is no information on this at all... anywhere. Searching for it on these forums or google turns up no relevant results.

What does nano effect shield resistance do on a shield? If I have a resistance to say syphon on my shield, does this mean that this effect can never work on me, or does it mean there is a reduced chance? Does it only apply when my shield is up or does it extend to when I am running on mere hp?

Yenah
05-05-2013, 09:52 PM
I have no real true proof of what it does, but, based on my own experience with resistance on shields, it appears the shield will reduce the chance for that nano effect to "stick"... if that makes sense.

Jeff Kaos
05-05-2013, 09:52 PM
I cannot believe there is no information on this at all... anywhere. Searching for it on these forums or google turns up no relevant results.

What does nano effect shield resistance do on a shield? If I have a resistance to say syphon on my shield, does this mean that this effect can never work on me, or does it mean there is a reduced chance? Does it only apply when my shield is up or does it extend to when I am running on mere hp?

Good question. I'll be following this thread hoping for an answer. There's a lot about the games mechanics I don't understand, especially the way damage is calculated. I set the game so that I can see damage numbers whenever I shoot an enemy. The thing I wonder is what exactly the numbes that appear actually mean. Becuase it doesn't seem like the numbers are actually reflecting what's happening to the enemies. It seems like an assault rifle that does "130" damage per shot takes as long to kill an enemy as an LMG that does "350" per shot.

Spectyr
05-05-2013, 09:58 PM
I have no real true proof of what it does, but, based on my own experience with resistance on shields, it appears the shield will reduce the chance for that nano effect to "stick"... if that makes sense.

That's the conclusion I arrived at. I will say that I've only had a siphon resist shield that I've used so far, but siphon is hard to tell when you got hit with it. I did read a player's comment that he RARELY gets hit with fire since he got his fire resist shield, which indicates it does have a resistance, but not immunity.

As per the amount or percentage of resistance, that would probably have to be told to us by dev's; all nano effects have a chance to trigger and your shield has a chance to resist.

Ravzar
05-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Good question. I'll be following this thread hoping for an answer. There's a lot about the games mechanics I don't understand, especially the way damage is calculated. I set the game so that I can see damage numbers whenever I shoot an enemy. The thing I wonder is what exactly the numbes that appear actually mean. Becuase it doesn't seem like the numbers are actually reflecting what's happening to the enemies. It seems like an assault rifle that does "130" damage per shot takes as long to kill an enemy as an LMG that does "350" per shot.

The damage number thing is reasonably simple to consider. Different weapons have different fire rates so something that does 300 damage and has a fire rate of 10 does very low damage compared to a weapon with 130 damage and a fire rate of 27 (comparing an LMG to an SMG tachmag etc, where the tachmag does significantly more damage in a shorter space of time, at the price of immense recoil, shorter range, and frequent need to reload).

mrs0019
05-05-2013, 10:06 PM
I'm almost of the opinion the resistance does nothing. Couple weeks ago I was testing two identical shields, one with fire resistance and one without, against incendiary grenades. Grenade burn did the exact same damage to both shields. While running in PVP and PVE wearing a lightning resistance shield vs a non lightning resist it felt like I was getting shocked just as often as ever.

My general impression is these resistances are there but they either don't work or the "resistance" they offer is so minimal it's not noticeable. I tend to just ignore resistance granted and try to focus on the far more important stats of shield strength and recharge delay. I like a big and slow shield for PVP and a small yet quick one for PVE.

Denim Samurai
05-05-2013, 10:09 PM
some of the weapon damage is misleading. the vot blaster says it does 40 dmg a shot but it fires 3 projectiles each bullet. It's the same way with the vot disruptor. It says it does like 110 dmg. One click with the disruptor fires a 3 round burst of 3 projectiles which is a little less than 1k dmg.

Ravzar
05-06-2013, 06:12 PM
I am going to bump this in case someone knows.

Hiero Glyph
05-06-2013, 06:35 PM
I'm almost of the opinion the resistance does nothing. Couple weeks ago I was testing two identical shields, one with fire resistance and one without, against incendiary grenades. Grenade burn did the exact same damage to both shields. While running in PVP and PVE wearing a lightning resistance shield vs a non lightning resist it felt like I was getting shocked just as often as ever.

My general impression is these resistances are there but they either don't work or the "resistance" they offer is so minimal it's not noticeable. I tend to just ignore resistance granted and try to focus on the far more important stats of shield strength and recharge delay. I like a big and slow shield for PVP and a small yet quick one for PVE.

Some items have a 100% chance to proc; resistance may have no affect against these items. Should be easily tested using grenades or incendiary AoE's.

Hiero Glyph
05-06-2013, 06:39 PM
I am going to bump this in case someone knows.

The only people who know are Trion and they have not shared much information regarding in-game mechanics. What does out of combat mean in PvP? What angle/height is required for getting damage bonuses from behind/above? What is the base nano effect chance? There are a lot of mechanics that Trion has not made an effort to help the community understand.

fang1192
05-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Some items have a 100% chance to proc; resistance may have no affect against these items. Should be easily tested using grenades or incendiary AoE's.

I can confirm this. My Incinerator, Northstar, and Bonfire + incendiary grenades will all set fire to a fire resist shield.

lorcan3
05-06-2013, 11:30 PM
As far as I know since I've been playing this game (with it's frequent downtimes and bugs), you want a shield that has a low recharge rate like 10% or lower

fang1192
05-07-2013, 12:31 AM
As far as I know since I've been playing this game (with it's frequent downtimes and bugs), you want a shield that has a low recharge rate like 10% or lower

No, you really dont.

mbergeron
05-07-2013, 12:38 AM
Yeah trion needs to come out and clear up everything about mods( which ones are in game and explain exactly what everything with them means). It would be nice to actually know about the game and not just have speculation.

Aeekto
05-07-2013, 01:19 AM
These resistence on shields donīt give you 100% resistence to an element... it reduces the damage taken by this element about 50%.
Turn on damage numbers and you should figure it out yourself realy fast ;)

If you hit someone who wears a fire-resistence shield with your bonfire, it will only tick for 52-54 and not 104-108 while the shield isnīt down yet... but if itīs down, the tick has the normal amount of damage again. At least it happened everytime with my bonfire shooting at people i know theyīre wearing fireresistence and havenīt thick skinned slotted.

Muffins
05-07-2013, 02:01 AM
The resistance is indeed only a chance to negate the effect, but not immunize yourself to it.

Using a bio shield I found when hit by hellbugs, it didn't activate the goo a good chunk of the time.