PDA

View Full Version : New Player

X SuperCap A Cop
05-06-2013, 04:30 AM
So I'm contemplating, or rather I should say, I really want to get this game on PC. I know literally next to to nothing about it besides that people like to complain about hackers in PVP. What should I know before buying, and how is the clan support? Thank you.

:3

Schwa
05-06-2013, 04:40 AM
Treat it as a single-player game for now. Okay for a while, but may be expanded to full MMO through DLC or content updates.

Piles of emphasis on may. Suggest holding off on season pass for now.

Clan support is a yes*.

*weak

Harsk
05-06-2013, 05:01 AM
Treat it as a single player game cause I have no friends. lol

Really though, it has the feel that games did back before WoW became the benchmark for MMOs. Much more raw and not dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

Sanguinesun
05-06-2013, 05:02 AM
So I'm contemplating, or rather I should say, I really want to get this game on PC. I know literally next to to nothing about it besides that people like to complain about hackers in PVP. What should I know before buying, and how is the clan support? Thank you.

Honestly, hold off on buying unless you can find a deal on it for under 20 bucks. Clans really arent done well and its also partially hurt by the difficulties with chat and voice chat(no push to talk for example so you hear -everyone- and everyone hears you... even sometimes when you have the options off). Many clan groups have seen their numbers drop like a rock since release.

If you dont mind throwing 60 bucks at a game you'll soak up the content for in a very short time and then be given bread crumbs of new content(their "tie ins") once ever 2 weeks or so, then this game may be ok for you. In its current state you're really not missing anything that watching a twitch stream of how it plays or watching the show delivers.

Schwa
05-06-2013, 05:03 AM
Honestly, hold off on buying unless you can find a deal on it for under 20 bucks. Clans really arent done well and its also partially hurt by the difficulties with chat and voice chat(no push to talk for example so you hear -everyone- and everyone hears you... even sometimes when you have the options off). Many clan groups have seen their numbers drop like a rock since release.

If you dont mind throwing 60 bucks at a game you'll soak up the content for in a very short time and then be given bread crumbs of new content(their "tie ins") once ever 2 weeks or so, then this game may be ok for you. In its current state you're really not missing anything that watching a twitch stream of how it plays or watching the show delivers.

Is the sale at green man gaming still going on? It's like half off with the right coupon codes. Even I (with my legendary history of ****ting all over design decisions) have trouble complaining too much when the game's $30.

X SuperCap A Cop
05-06-2013, 05:21 AM
Hmm, it's an MMO but feels like single player? But there's the ark falls and random instances scattered around right? So it's not like its not an MMO, unless this somehow ties into the weak clan support you mentioned...

I kind of just want to play it and have mindless fun and hopefully find a clan that I can join, but if it's really that bad, I don't know...

What do you mean by weak clan support?

Schwa
05-06-2013, 05:29 AM
Hmm, it's an MMO but feels like single player? But there's the ark falls and random instances scattered around right? So it's not like its not an MMO, unless this somehow ties into the weak clan support you mentioned...

I kind of just want to play it and have mindless fun and hopefully find a clan that I can join, but if it's really that bad, I don't know...

What do you mean by weak clan support?

Mindless fun is the perfect word for it. Seriously, as a big dumb shooter it's excellent-- but the enemy AI only goes so far. But you can take your ATV and run over dudes and honk your horn and drive donuts around like a madman. In your plum Challenger. Or your Barbie pink ATV.

While making things explode. And shouting MERICA F YEAH over local voice chat. The only thing missing is the double middle fingers to punctuate the whole scenario.

The arkfalls are truly impressive-- the first dozen times you do them. There's only 4 major events though, and they do get a bit stale after a while. There are additional minor events, though they aren't quite as spectacular with gigantic bug-bosses laughing down at you from Above. Or (my favorite) a gigantic levitating robot with massive plasma-shooting robot arms blowing things up the way robots always do in The Movies.

Co-op instances are all roughly the same level of difficulty. You'd probably be able to solo them once you get a firm grasp of the game's mechanics, but you're not allowed to go into them alone. They end up being mindless zergs with people rushing to "tag" the most enemies to look better on the scoreboard. They feel single-player in how little you need to communicate with your teammates. There's no "I'm pinned, shoot the sniper" moments.

The above results in a massively single-player game. Nobody needs you, but you can see others playing. You can even help them out, and they can help you out-- but it ends up being an NPC-level of interaction. No different than "hey, that NPC shot the bad guy for me!" Arkfalls are akin to "Hey, 40 of these NPCs and me just made the bug asplode!"

Weak clan support is... the clan system is buggy, and Functional. Don't expect any elaborate advantages to being in a clan other than a sometimes-working clan chat channel.

Whippersnapper
05-06-2013, 06:14 AM
Above poster hit it on the head.

Chat- Clan chat sometimes doesnt work. You have to relog to make it work.

Another issue is that players in the game come from both MMO and Shooter backgrounds. So the shooters are used to voice and dont use chat. The MMOers are used to chat and dont use voice. The MMOers complain about the bad chat and no ability to Private Message....

X SuperCap A Cop
05-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Huh, so really it's an MMO that lacks practically everything a good MMO needs, and a shooter that lacks the depth and proper balancing of a shooter.

discosoc
05-06-2013, 09:32 AM

The game has tons of bugs, and next to no "MMO" feel. Read some of the reviews on metacritic to get an idea of it. Basically, most people agree that it's core gameplay is somewhat fun, but the game is riddled with problems.

I don't know if I'd recommend it at a $60 price point, but it might be worth $30.

discosoc
05-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Huh, so really it's an MMO that lacks practically everything a good MMO needs, and a shooter that lacks the depth and proper balancing of a shooter.

With possibly the worst UI ever for a PC game. I know that sounds like hyperbole, but it's really not.

Quatermass
05-06-2013, 10:08 AM
I think you shuold buy it.
This game is one of those "Either you like it or you wont" games.
There is no middle ground in this game.
Se if you don't have a friend who will let you try it out first.

There are alot of complaints athat this is not an MMO.
the thing is that if you are too lazy to join a clan or even to lazy to occasionaly hit the enter button and type Hi! the yeah this must feel like a singleplayer game to you all.

I played MMO's before WoW and this is how they used to be you acctually had to make an effort in getting a friend or gaming buddy.
i am really enjoying not walking up on a raid boss and locking on spamming the two button.

So if you like to talk to strangers and blow stuff up the this is the game for you.
The game will get better this game is made to grow over time and not just throw everything at you at day one.
Have patience grashopper..... Yeah I'm old enough to get that reference
(Kung Fu 1974)

X SuperCap A Cop
05-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Hm, ok thanks for all your feedback everyone. I think I'm gonna end up getting from Greenman since its at least on sale for 30% off and just go for it.

OcR Grav
05-06-2013, 11:29 AM
I play it because I enjoy playing with myself :3

Ryme
05-06-2013, 11:52 AM
The gameplay and plot depth is like Borderlands. The UI is a console port. The social aspects are technically functional, but so inconvenient and unintuitive that it may as well be non-existent.

My summary is thus. Buy the game if you liked Borderlands. Don't pay more than $30.

theyeti
05-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Just think, the game was already on sale for half off a mere month after it's glorious release. I think that should tell you something.

Oceanhawk
05-06-2013, 12:14 PM

Let me save you $60. Go buy something with more long term appeal than this travesty. Something like electronic checkers might fit the bill.